Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am cautiously optimistic, but I also come at this as a Star Trek fan, specifically TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

Jolly good film. So anybody cramming a marathon before the release? I'm thinking in order of: V, II, IV, VI, III and lastly I.
Why the hell would you do that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is there even to spoil? John Boyega becomes a Jedi and fights Adam Driver? That's in the trailer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

William Shatner shows up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol if you think SW merchandise is anything more than a cash grab. Artistic integrity has no place here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You didn't have to wait until now to know it would beat Avatar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

Even adjusted for ticket price inflation, Phantom Menace is $100m behind Avatar and the other other prequels are $300m behind Avatar.

SW7 was always going to open huge, but it takes great reviews/word of mouth to topple Cameron's behemoths in total gross.
You want to make a small title/avatar bet for domestic gross? Avatar made 95% of its domestic gross after 12 weeks, so we can compare at that point. It also released on the exact same day in December, though I recall there being a huge blizzard in the northeast which is why the opening weekend number wasn't super great and the second weekend number only dropped 1.8%.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ukle posted:

100% with 66 now... seriously WTF this is a Star Wars move critics normally hate them
The last time there was a SW movie was a generation ago. Facebook and Gmail didn't even exist back then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kiimo posted:

95% tomato meter is great news no matter how you slice it.
Star Trek 09 got 95%.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

iSheep posted:

And it's a good fun movie?
Yes. With an empty antagonist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is the second time JJ Abrams has remade ANH. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought the movie was good but not amazing, probably a solid B. The comparison to ANH seem apt, since I'd probably give them a B as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When the prequels came out, was there the sentiment that "They should have just remade the original trilogy with updated graphics"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought it was clearly supposed to be pronounced like Baku, capital of Azerbaijan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Middle East existed when they started writing this film. :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The movie should have ended 15 seconds earlier. That 360* shot was stupid. It should have cut to credits with Luke removing his hood with the camera on his face.

Alternatively, Like could have force pulled his light saber and turned it on. That would have been an epic badass moment to go out on.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Edit ^^ if the movie ended with him force pulling the saber, and the final shot with a close up of it slamming into his hand and the screen going black you know every theater everywhere would've completely lost their poo poo.
Yup, everyone would have had to change their underwear.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.
That's because A New Hope is also a mediocre film.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukAvTZbnN94

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just realized a neat contrast between Rey and Finn. Finn was forcibly abducted as a small child and Rey was abandoned.
I don't think that's supposed to be a contrast as much as a parallel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teagone posted:

Has anyone seen the movie in a legit 70mm IMAX theater? Someone on r/movies posted an image of the Branson IMAX theater in Missouri that is screening a 70mm print and jesus gently caress the screen is absolutely gigantic. Look at this poo poo:

gently caress, I want to see The Force Awakens on that IMAX screen so bad. Apparently it's roughly 6 stores high, and 80 feet wide lol.
Normal 70mm IMAX screens aren't that big.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohmak posted:

IMAX mall of GA was incredible but it is digital not 70mm.
Yeah, I think Inception was digital but Interstellar was 70mm.

I'm a bit surprised Hateful Eight 70mm is playing at Atlantic Station since, last I knew, they only have a digital IMAX screen.

edit: Oh, it's 2.76 70mm, not 15/70. gently caress that noise.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Augus posted:

It was a bit overly familiar at times but that was kinda to be expected with them bringing the films back after a decade plus three bad ones.
I think this is a terrible argument. By extension, there was even less to complain about in Avatar because it had been 19 years since Dances with Wolves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at not every hero needs to be a Skywalker. Do you know what franchise this is?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Star Wars couldn't do $250m opening weekend, nothing will.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hhhat posted:

I find Jurassic World's numbers so baffling. I don't know anyone who went to see it, and I waited for video because the reviews were weak and it looked dumb.

Jurassic World spoiler: yeah it was dumb
Perhaps kids/families went to see it while only male nerds went to see SW?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jivjov posted:

The audiences for all my showings, including the marathon, the audience had a decent percentage of women and children. And my non-marathon showings both had several full families
My Friday 9am showing was about 95% male, all of whom were over 30.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is it established that light sabers have weightless blades?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teagone posted:

Not according to canon http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber And the physical properties of lightsabers don't matter anyways.
You don't need to tell me. Tell DeusExMachinima.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jurassic World was a trash movie and its box office numbers just go to prove that people are dumb.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It just processed for me that Lucas didn't write, direct, or produce ESB. In retrospect, it's surprising anyone would have thought the prequels would be good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jamsta posted:

Thanks for the headsup, I may just opt for standard Imax 2D.
There is no non-3D IMAX.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the shield generator for Death Star 2 was on Endor, wouldn't it be stuck there lest it be defenseless?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

The prequels already had a tough job just in concept: they had to make the tragic transformation of a dumb little kid into the coolest villain of all time (but notably, still a villain and a murderer and stuff) into a rollicking family adventure, and the audience already knows the ending the entire time. Why even bother making it? I think the answer is money.
The PT didn't have to start with Anakin as a kid. In fact, they did t have to focus on him at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

computer parts posted:

Disney retread the OT because that's what fans wanted and Disney is incredibly conservative. There's actually no reason why they will be more original in the future.
In E8, instead of "Luke, I am your father" we will get "Rey, you are my daughter".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would the Rebellion task a brand new recruit for a mission as important as stealing the plans for the Death Star?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SaltLick posted:

Shattered Glass was p good and Rachel bilson is hot so good job Hayden
I would say Hayden Christensen is at least as attractive as Rachel Bilson, maybe even more so.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As someone who thought TFA was just okay, is Rogue One worth the trouble of opening night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Guys, you're making this complicated. It's not complicated. For the last loving time: Donnie Yen's in it.
But the last special effect spectacular that Donnie Yen starred in was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCj-XP5cjOY

• Locked thread