Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I watched the original series so now I'm watching the prequels. The phantom menace is a lot prettier than I remember it being, all the CGI is good apart from Jar Jar, some of the aliens and the battle droids. It's a shame every scene with Jar Jar is unbearable because it's an okay movie outside of that.

Also drat all the loving altered dialogue in return of the jedi is bizzare.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm also not really seeing what could be spoiled at this point. Any BIG plot twists are going to happen in the second movie...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Clone wars is so loving bad. I watched Phantom Menace last night and thought it was okay but drat man I'm over an hour in to the clone wars and I forgot how boring it was.

They're just entering the arena. It's gonna get better right?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The big battle kinda redeems it and Christopher Lee was cool. Those clone planes must be like Taxi's with an intercom in the back for jedi to give you totally pointless orders like "umm.. yea shoot the fuel canisters!" and then congratulate each other for being so smart.

Comic relief yoda battle was mercifully short too so that's a plus.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You guys can use the spoiler thread so you don't need to post in black bars :)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Thinking back on the movie, can we talk about the real hero of the movie: Baton Trooper?

Every Stormtrooper should be a Baton Trooper. That dude owned. RIP in piece.

He kicked butt. I'm hoping to see Luke take on like five of them in the next movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chieves posted:

And welp, my office is taking our team to go see this movie later today. I feel kind of silly seeing it at midnight last night now. :v:

My mate saw it twice in like a day because he went to the midnight screening. Second time he took his 15 year old brother who super liked it.

It's a good kids movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

pigdog posted:

At least two things happened in the meantime. Firstly, the Knights of the Old Republic games, which showed how cool the Star Wars universe could actually look like given well developed characters and plot. In comparison you can sum Rey or Finn up with "dude used to be a stormtrooper" or "hot pilot chick with Jedi potential". Not much else. Secondly, the Star Trek movies by the same director, which had pretty decently complex plots for modern sci-fi blockbusters. Thirdly, the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which really set the new bar, and which I would still consider the true spiritual successor to OT. You want to compare charisma of Finn to Chris Pratt as Star Lord? Come on.

Wow man, how can you rip into star wars for bland characters when you got guardians of the galaxy with comic relief squirrel, knock off chewie and wannabe han solo.

(i really like guardians of the galaxy)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

pigdog posted:

Wouldn't have it been cooler if Finn never took off his helmet, and spent most or all of his movie in a rad blood-stained stormtrooper outfit, so that everyone would have had reasons to question his motivations?

No that would be dumb.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Shoren posted:

What would have made the politics more exciting? A filibuster by Jar Jar? I thought they were interesting by watching Palpatine pull the strings the entire time and no one having any idea, even after Dooku spills the beans to Obi Wan.

Ultimately Anakin is the protagonist of the PT, even if he doesn't play an obviously leading role in TPM. The PT movies are nonconventional because you they're meant to be looked at as a whole rather than individually. It's a luxury that Lucas bought himself through the success of the OT and I don't think enough people realize that. That's why TPM doesn't have a clearcut protagonist and it's because the movie is setting up the rest of the series, not trying to be a standalone movie.

Everyone does seem to be aware of how evil Palpatine is. It's just everyone seems to be far too restrained by some magic plot device of ~~Sith powers~~ to do anything about it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I honestly hated most of the bar stuff before the force vision. It was sort of redeemed by that but I don't think the film would of lost anything by cutting out Maz entirely.

corn in the fridge posted:

Its not a magic plot device. The Jedi are weak. Yoda says their power to predict the future has lessened, which is probably why they've become weak cuz they're constantly trying to predict future when they should be focusing on what's going on right in front of them

Yea, I know the jedi are supposed to suck and rely too much on the force for predicting things but daaamn maybe make it less obvious that Palpatine is the sith to the jedi? The jedi pretty much know it by the end of the second movie, Yoda is constantly concerned about it even! I know it's a kids show so bad guys gotta be comically evil and obvious, and we're doing the "LOOK BEHIND YOU!" panto routine.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hazo posted:

After seeing it a second time I agree. In fact the whole part from when Han scoops them up until the Force vision I felt pretty disinterested. Even the tentacle monsters bit didn't really do anything for me.

Tentacles felt like something from Rebels or the Clone wars cartoon so I sorta enjoyed but it was out of place.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Some of the aliens were really good and cool. I like the thing which is trying to get BB-8 nearish the start and it's riding something which looks like it's from the Dark Crystal.

Bar scene did suck and managed to be bland/pointless but the red robot outside was cool too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is it possible to like all 7 star wars films and not have anything particularly negative to say about any of them??

No

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

While I think you're mostly right about this (and I genuinely think that it's a neat thing about art), it's mostly interesting to me that people who deign to defend the prequels are treated as if they must be contrarian; it's become such a "known" thing in internet/nerd/pop culture that the prequels are "bad" that to many people the enjoyment of them is laughable to a point where people not only defending but enjoying them must be taking the piss.

They're really bad movies dude sorry. It's okay to like a bad movie though :) it's just some of the reasons people like it are crazy in-depth examinations looking for hidden subtext and to some people that seems insane.

Not exactly a good conversation starter "hey.. I really like clone wars, this cartoonish movie based on a flash gordon comic mimicking the style of a saturday morning serial, because of the deep meaning behind it. Let me show you some still shots and my mspaint diagrams." Not that there's anything wrong with that but I dunno how you could conclude they are good because of it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well, I could be wrong (feel free to check), but "good" and "bad" are subjective and not objective???? For instance, some people don't like coffee, which I find crazy. Coffee tastes good!

Those people are loving WRONG dude. No sane human could dislike coffee.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Red posted:

Can we post/share theories? Especially good ones?

Because I really like https://medium.com/@benostrower/rey-is-a-kenobi-362b5af09849#.dufr56i8i - but if that turns out to be true, that's a fairly big spoiler.

I feel like Rey is almost designed to potentially be anyone's kid. Her turning out to be related to kenobi would be unsatisfying considering she'd have to be his grandaughter from a character we've never met.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Danger posted:

A better way to start a conversation would be "hey.. i really like star wars, this hidden fortress ripoff that tacitly supported the vietcong army." Not that there's anything wrong with that, and really that's why Star Wars is great in the first place, same with the PT.

Goddamn Lucas must of been such a hippy in the 60s/70s.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Again, Luke isn't being sought just so he can blow up Starkiller Base. Leia has something greater and more important for him to accomplish.

Man I think she just wanted to find her brother

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

The Starkiller base does show us what's become of the galaxy in his absence, but since we don't really know what's become of Luke or what he's been up to in the 30 years since we saw him last, we're not left with much understanding of how bringing him back is going to make things a lot better. I could certainly be sold on Luke still being the galaxy's only hope, but the movie doesn't do the necessary footwork to establish that. Maybe if we didn't take an hour long detour to blow up Death Star 3 they could have.

We don't really need the movie to tell us that though cause we got 3 other movies telling us Luke is super cool and good at blowing poo poo up and murdering Sith.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

computer parts posted:

Dude's like 60 now though, he's not going to be getting back into an X-Wing.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah but by all appearances Luke is a loving loser now. He inadvertently rounded up a bunch of the galaxy's best and brightest force adepts into a big Darkside honeypot and got them murdered. He's a hobo living alone in cave out of shame. He should be ashamed. That's all we know about Luke here in 2016 (34 aby)

We.. we need a training montage!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

How do you even fit a hyperdrive on to an X-Wing?? It makes no sense!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Greg Gruenberg supposed to be a Porkins callback? He's the son of Porkins?

He definitely is. I was just waiting for him to go down so i could whisper to myself "NOO PORKINS!!"

I got two minutes into the first rlm review and that was about as much as i could take

Even if you don't like RLM you should watch the video where they take the piss out of lovely expanded universe autism over Vader's suit. It's good.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 7, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Beeez posted:

The novelization of Revenge of the Sith beats you over the head with the fact that, yes, the Jedi have been corrupted in their mission because of several factors, and they have gone astray significantly. Lucas had more involvement in the novelizations than he had in most other books, and the novelizations were based on scripts and other production materials. The idea that people in this thread conjured that reading from thin air is just not true.

This is pretty much how I see him, as well.

why would you read a star wars novel lol

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

LMAO this is the most pathetic lazy scoring I have ever heard. Literally just 12-bar blues progression on a farty synth. Joseph Williams wtf.

The prequels truly are garbage.

Dude it's like a 2 minute scene.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't wait for the next special edition where they add a scene with Vader mournfully staring at Obi-wan's lightsaber.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I dunno about Snoke being something to do with Vader so closely. How would he even know what Vader looks like? I think the scars being similar is just a false clue to throw people off. I don't think the guy is going to be Darth Plagueis either, that's way too much expanded universe and not really close to the original series mimickery their going for.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Plagueis is mentioned in the prequels at least once, possibly a few times. So if they aren't completely disowning the prequels, its a possibility. The whole thing between Plagueis and Palpatine is told in much more detail in the EU, but its not like Plagueis doesn't exist at all in the films.

He's talked about for like 5 minutes right? Snokes music is supposed to be opera theme during that scene too :tinfoil: I still think Snoke is just going to be some evil mysterious villian, probably Sith, with no real ties to anything much like the Emperor was in the original series.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

Snoke refers to training so if he ain't a Sith I don't know what the gently caress.

Poor Kylo needs any training he can get.

I'm gonna hold back on if he's sith or not, could just be some big holographic dick who knows things

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why is Snoke not plaugeis? The musical cue is all the evidence you need. Plus, the fact that they are like, the same loving race once you factor in his injuries, death, and artistic interpretation.

Why would they base Plagueis on some EU stuff they went out of their way to make non-canon?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If you clone vader you'd have to either quickly grow him which would make a lovely jedi with 4 years of experience and the intelligence of an average clone trooper or some baby you gotta spend 20 years training :effort:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

greatn posted:

Rian Johnson is directing 8, maybe Snoke is Kylo from the future.

snoke - "I can't believe how loving lame i used to be"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Snoke is getting a lot of attention for an unimportant side character. Like the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back, it doesn't matter who he is except in relation to the person he's speaking to. The scenes he's in aren't even about him or the First Order -- they're about how Kylo Ren hates his pops and wants to purge the light from his soul. They're almost completely redundant with other scenes in the film, something that can't be said of the Emperor's scene in ESB.

I really loved A force Awakens but he's like the only interesting mystery

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

People are trying to reveal what they are -- and succeeding.

bad movies :agreed:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yea.. but then she wouldn't get to do any interesting jedi stuff. Feeling the force isn't very interesting viewing for an audience, doing poo poo with it is what makes it cool.

You already get people confused about why she's a good pilot because it's not screaming "SHE'S A JEDI!" at you constantly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do people really defend the awful romance stuff in attack of the clones. I thought everyone hated those embarrasing scenes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

I wish the people who want to talk about the prequels had their own thread.

Come post about force awakens in GBS. the crazies get chased out of there.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bowcaster was a running gag, it's not really supposed to be something you write about on wookiepedia if it factually made sense in the star wars universe. I didn't mind the joke myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yes, Anakin gets a choice to cut all ties and live in a vortex forever managing a couple Force fairies (a Dark Side and a Light Side fairy), or to go on living out his life the normal way. At one point the Dark Side fairy shows him that he will become Darth Vader. Anakin ends up "balancing" the Force inside the vortex by killing all the fairies.
Then his memory gets wiped in the end and apparently him and Obi Wan never mention this whole thing to the Jedi Council, or no one cares, or they all get their memories wiped or something so it was all meaningless!
I say "fairy" because I don't know what else to call them, they are like inhuman SuperJedi who can travel through time and space, and they locked themselves in the vortex because they would rip the universe apart if they ever got out.
It was a little weird.

It was a really bad episode

• Locked thread