Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I keep envisioning Sith Lord #287 or whatever going, "I've taught my apprentice almost everything I know. Should I teach him that last bit? I know the previous 286 apprentices killed, or tried to kill their master, but I have a really special feeling about mine. Things will be different this time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Can someone link the good Mos Eisley post from last thread? OI think it was made by Cnut.

This one?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

the post where a goon talks about the special edition edits of the scence.

I was kidding with my first post. This is probably the one

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A mod restored his old avatar. Hopefully.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

babypolis posted:

They really drive it home with the force barrier gimmick too, Obi looking scared as gently caress while Darth Maul looks like a caged animal

I agree with this. And Qui-Gon taking the time to meditate. The barriers might have been nonsensical but they worked from a dramatic standpoint.

On the topic of Maul, he was a zero in the character department, really just an animal, but damned if he wasn't also the most visually stunning character in all seven films, to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lightsaber blades have the same mass as a three-foot long, inch-wide Carbon-fiber rod on Earth

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Vishass posted:

I walked out after someone hyperspace jumped within a gravity well

Yeah, this was totally loving Abrams-stupid.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

How does hyperspace travel work, such that it makes this impossible?

I don't know about impossible, it just reminds me of what JJ did with transporters.

I was thinking there was something in one of the earlier film novelizations saying that it couldn't be done, but if there was, it's no longer valid because the movies win in any movie-vs-novelization canon debate. So now we should see everyone doing this at all times to escape sticky situations on planet surfaces.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Hyperspace travel only exists in Star Wars to allow writers to move characters from one location in the story to another location in a cool sci-fi way. There's no actual science behind it. Please don't be the kind of Star Wars fan to use information on Wookiepedia to source reasons for why making the jump to lightspeed and dropping out of hyperspace inside a shield wouldn't work and I wont be the kind of Star Wars fan who tells you to shut the gently caress up about it.

Who's talking about Wookiepedia? And what about all the posts in this thread and the other one discussing the *science* of the starkiller base death-ray? Do those people have to shut the gently caress up, too?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

People might think that she's a Mary Sue because she's a millennial who gets a job offer.

This is probably the best quote in the entire thread.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do tell!

e: directed at SMG

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The rest of the scene, however, plays out as a contrast to the waitress' initial suspicions. It would be very easy for Dex's actor, Ron Falk, to play the character as shady - pretending to be friendly in order to get out of trouble. Instead, Dex comes across as absolutely genuine in his friendship with Obiwan - which generates an implied backstory where Obiwan helped Dex out with some legal troubles, so Dex is now grateful...

How can you say that this dialogue generates an implied backstory for Dex, but also say that ANH never shows us that Luke wants to get away from the dreary moisture-farming existence on Tattooine? Isn't the case for Luke's motivation/backstory for wanting to escape made just as well as the one you're reading into the Dex scene?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What was everyone's take on the "bring balance to the Force" thing?

Was the prophecy misread, or did Vader somehow accomplish it at the end of ROTJ? Or at the end of ROTS? If he did, how, in what way?

This is one prequel thing I've never understood.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Its the moment when his façade finally falls away for good and he truly becomes the Emperor,

Yeah... in the novelization, after Anakin makes his choice Palpatine is checking out his new look in the mirror, and says "And so, the face becomes the man" or something like that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The use of CG in Zodiac is pretty stunning. I was shocked the first time I saw that video, I had no idea there was that much.

e: I don't mean this as a bash at the prequels or TFA or anything. Just an observation about a great film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SPY DROID DID NOTHING WRONG

It doesn't invade CGI Punisher-Man's kinesphere and even if it does a little, he is quite probably drunk anyway (I always thought of every settlement on Tattooine as being full of smelly, diseased drunkards like in Deadwood)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Grievous appears on film (LOL) for the first time ever in ROTS, is made to look like he is a big shot, and he's coughing like he's got tuberculosis. I know why he coughs, a lot of you know why he coughs, but literally no one I know in real life knew what he was or why he was coughing.

Obi-Wan's lack of awareness, gravitas, or indeed, even effort vs. Grievous is because the prequels are well-made films that are making fun of you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't think Billy Dee can even walk anymore. He probably isn't interested in doing another film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Does the six or seven Knights of Ren number come from that one flashback scene? The number of guys around Ren? Or have they made some kind of reference to it elsewhere, not in the film?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Let's be fair here, if somebody tells me they didn't at least smile at that line from the video then they are either a liar or inhuman

I don't watch the RLM trash at all so I though Tezzor made this up himself. Color me disappointed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

so how long did this thread actually discuss the new movie? 3 weeks?

"this new film is basically just a reshoot of ANH"-- 2 weeks

"Kylo Ren: intimidating or not?" -- 3 weeks

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tezzor posted:

I was looking up a transcript of dialogue from the prequels and I noticed that on TheForce.net forums, the biggest Star Wars fansite of all time, they're talking about how awful the prequels were?? This place was the fanatical vanguard of prequel apologism last time I checked many years ago. Do you guys feel like that Japanese soldier who was still fighting WWII well into the 1970s

Do they still work religion into just about every post over there? I fled screaming from the site in about 2004 and haven't looked back there since. It was extremely creepy to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

There is no misunderstanding art; you see it, you read it, you take away whatever interpretation you want. That's the beauty of art.

OK, I have typed up this question and deleted it about three times now, but since you said that I guess I'll actually post it this time.

If I see a film, and the meaning I take away from it differs from that which the director/auteur intended, does that make my reading wrong? It's art in the form of moving pictures/sound, and its meaning is entirely subjective, as Neurolimal said, is it not?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

That one is simple. Luke gathered some people who knew about/of the Jedi ways to help him teach the new generation. Snoke was one of them.

Ah, and Max Von Sydow is another. The new Jedi order is in disarray after a school shooting, Luke disbands it and Max goes to Jakku.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He was a hologram in one two-minute scene and mentioned in one or two other scenes. I'm sure it will get better, like with Palpatine.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It was to be primarily focused on Phasma, hands-down best character.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was never a fan of the Jar Jar character in the PT, but he has made me LOL several times in the Clone Wars cartoon. This one episode in particular, called "Bombad Jedi", I was surprised at how genuinely funny they made him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You could just skip the Zizek quotes, and read the other stuff he writes around them. The text he writes himself is pretty consistently hilarious, and doesn't need Zizek above and below it:

This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I recall, earlier in one of these threads, someone complaining that Yoda's swordfight is so goofy that it's almost like it's supposed to be funny(!). In fact, he was horrified that the audience in his theatre was laughing at what was 'obviously supposed to be' a very serious and dramatic fight scene.

You have a good memory. That was me, but I wasn't horrified at the audience response. I was horrified at how ridiculous it looked and sounded (with the flipping around, and the Miss Piggy 'YAAR' screams and grunts), because yes-- it looked like it was meant to be funny, to me. You explained that it absolutely WAS meant to be funny-- Count Dracula fighting a muppet.

Still, to this day, I just cannot see it that way, my friend. I cannot envision any reason why Lucas or anyone else would want to play that scene for laughs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Try! What are some of the reasons why the scene might have been constructed the way it was?

I don't know, man.

Anakin has been maimed, and Obi-Wan is crushed under a lot of debris. Yoda shows up to save the day. I though the scene was totally serious, and I loved the way it started out as a wizard battle. I think the intention was to show Yoda kicking rear end with a lightsaber, something we'd never seen before, but unfortunately maybe it's just difficult to show a three-foot green man swordfighting someone who's 6'3" without it looking a little odd.

The Sideous-Yoda duel in ROTS didn't seem as odd to me. Perhaps because I'd already seen the AOTC scene. Perhaps because there was a lot of emotional weight there for me (the end of the Republic, Yoda's failure, beginning of the long night etc)

Obviously, other people disagree. I know people who thought Yoda was cool and appropriately badass in that scene, and the flipping and screaming didn't strike them as funny.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cnut, I don't have a problem with the IDEA of Yoda swordfighting, it's just that it looked kind of dumb. But as I've said in the old threads, there is another scene from ROTS that I thought was great, right after Order 66 is given and Yoda senses two troopers behind them about to shoot him in the back.

Here he jumps up over them, landing behind them and decapitating them on the way down. That worked really well, for me. And the fight against Palpatine in the Senate Chamber didn't look as ridiculous to me as the Dooku one.

I just brought it up again because SMG mentioned what I said in the old thread about being horrified at how cartoonish (and maybe intentionally funny) the Dooku fight was. I don't see why they would have intentionally made this funny, others do.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

homullus posted:

Does capoeira look ridiculous to you, with all the flipping around and stuff?

I didn't know what this was, so I watched some YouTube videos and no, it doesn't look ridiculous to me. It's amazing

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Changin tracks here again, the more I think about it and the more I'm pissed at R2's lovely treatment in TFA. He was a major character through all previous 6 movies and his previous characterization really isn't that of a droid that would shut himself down for decades. When Anakin went dark, he didn't stop, he became a part of the Rebellion from the start. It's a super lazy way to replace him with the new toy to sell to kids.

Hell, BB8 is just a lamer R2. In ANH, when Luke says that he's never seen such loyalty to his Master in a droid, it's ironic because R2 isn't being loyal to his Master, he's dedicated to his mission instead. BB instead is shown to really be insecure and just wanting to follow a Master. It's kind of disgusting.

But, he's sooooo cute!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Beeez posted:

It's great, but the best part is when Palpatine is the only person to ever verbalize the fact that Yoda is green.

I think the line in the film is "my little green friend" but if I recall correctly there's an earlier scene in the novel before Palp's big reveal where he, Yoda, and Mace are sitting around talking and Palpatine is thinking how glorious it's going to be when "the little green freak" gets what's coming to him soon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Confused, like me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If Mace Windu had arrested Palpatine and forced him to stand trial, instead of attempting to execute him, he might've been able to beat the rap. However, Nute Gunray was still alive, and his testimony alone would suffice to prove the existence and involvement of Darth Sidious. Proving that he and Palpatine were the same person would be more difficult, however, because the only person who knew for sure was Dooku, who recently died. Additionally, hoods in Star Wars never fail at concealing the wearer's identity perfectly.

That would be interesting, if you think about it. Anakin would have to testify, and possibly be treated subsequently as a hostile witness by Republic prosecution. There could be all manner of intrigue and drama. Plus Jar Jar on the stand at some point.

poo poo, this is practically writing itself!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, everyone still standing in the Senate is bribed, or in some way beholden to Palpatine. Or just in fear of him.

At some point the Jedi Council's lack of ability to use the force (the darkness that clouds their vision) would probably come out. It would go very badly for the Jedi. After all this, maybe Order 66 happens anyway.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes, it was weird that in ~40 years running around the galaxy with the same dude, Han never once took a shot with the crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When did Luke want to quit?

• Locked thread