Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fair warning, if you use this to make waffles for your kids, that's officially child abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

In Star Wars everyone is a neuter except for freaks like Leia and Han Solo, and Luke's parents. Nobody says anything to their faces, of course, but they're all thinking how weird it is to kiss and junk.

But what about Lando?

Having just rewatched TPM, I just want to say that Williams' score was wasted on the battle droids. When they march up to fight the Gungans in their clusterfuck of a stakeless game of patty cake, it's to an imposing and awesome march that nearly rivals the Imperial March in how loving metal it is. The droids in general and the following battle would have been better suited by something involving kazoos. Maybe a slide whistle.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(Keep in mind that, when Luke blew up the Death Star, he killed every prisoner held there - except The Princess, of course. All those blue shirt guys from the opening scene, all the aliens (who must have existed in order for Chewbaca's disguise to work), and all the droids that were made to serve.... We don't care about those deaths because, naturally, they aren't royalty. That's ideology at work: the film itself makes Leia's superiority seem completely natural. [...]

This paragraph in general and those last two sentences in particular are awfully wrongheaded. The movie makes it pretty clear that Leia would be the first to tell Luke to take the shot even if she still was on the Death Star. Also, what's the exact ideological statement made when characters have to weigh an uncertain number of prisoners' lives lost in the destruction of the Death Star against the literally billions of lives endangered by it's ongoing existence along with the complete destruction of the Rebellion? I guess by that logic the climax of Avengers 2 is better than ANH because they saved a bunch of hostages instead of pooling their efforts to stomp on robots.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're getting caught up in some sort of canon. I'm just talking about what's onscreen. In the narrative, we have two conflicting sets of imagery:

One is the Death Star as a purely spectral presence, a nightmarish vision of the future. Chewbacca is enslaved, all the plants are gone, etc. Luke and Han dispel this apocalyptic nightmare, and the people live happily on a planet that remains lush and green. In this view, the Death Star is a purely metaphorical space. We don't see the other prisoners because they don't exist. There is only the imagery of Leia huddled in the darkness.

On the other hand, the Death Star is a literal enemy 'country' that neighbors all the others, in the present. The Death Star can consequently stand in for any bad nation, from America to North Korea - and then you have this idea that there's no downside to killing everyone, because their population is better off dead. They're no more than drones, unlike us. That's the logic of the prequel Jedi, and of the Republic.

The result of this inconsistency is that you can have your cake and eat it too. Luke can blow up a country, but it's not fully 'real'. It's an abstraction, as in Ender's Game. There's a grey circle with a green line coming out of it.

Maybe I've just become desensitized to this kind of thing by watching too many action movies, but... what's the difference to what is usually done in action movies? I'm not trying to say that those movies are not making ideological statements, I just want some clarity how the depiction of the Death Star and your reading of it differs from, say, Zod and his doomsday machine in Man of Steel.

Danger posted:

The ideological statement is that the laborers and slaves on the death star are invisible.

All kinds of phantom menaces still going strong in the Empire.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

"Execution" is the free space in prequel criticism bingo, and the rest of this post still just means that you were told a different story than the one you were expecting.

Attention everybody: When attempting to phrase your dislike of the Star Wars prequels, you must refrain from mentioning:

- Plot
- Acting
- Effects of any kind
- Any ind of fix for perceived flaws in plot or story
- Robots
- Slaves
- Sheev

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fred Breakfast posted:

Don't talk poo poo on Sheev, bruh.

That's what I'm saying, Sheev is strictly off-limits. No complaints about Sheev.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I made it, I finally made it to the end of the thread! I have conquered what seemed like a Sisyphean 20.000 posts, always 20.000 posts no matter how many I'd read. I have been rolling that "Droid=Humans?" rock up that hill over and over again. I have reached you at the end of the thread to share this secret wisdom with you:

Tezzor loving sucks, but also rules because I got to skip like 50 pages because of them and their illiterate ilk. The prequels are OK. See you in a hundred pages.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lincoln posted:

Droids = peasants

Peasants = humans ???????

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, maybe they could do a Pod Racing movie. Just a bunch of colorful characters trying to win the Big Race.

They could call it Race Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

You should watch again. He didn't have a headbomb in Episode 2.

I'm sorry about your lovely haircut.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Kinda making him look dark side here. He reminds me of... Dooku?

Count Luke-o.

And his former protege, Kyle O'Ren.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

In the next episode it will be revealed that the FO started as a satirical/ironical movement like the Applefront that spun out of control.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TFA and AotC are locked in a fierce battle for weakest Star Wars movie. TFA has Kylo Ren, one of the most (potentially) interesting characters in the franchise, and pretty much nothing else. AotC has all that fascinating stuff Cnut, SMG and others have written volumes about, but it suffers from framing its awkward rear end in a top hat characters in a way that makes it hard to engage with them. That's still more interesting than whatever TFA tries to do, so I'd give AotC the edge.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

And then she pressed Ignite, and became The Last Jedi.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

TPM should be the worst one

Nah, once you come to terms with the fact that the Jedi are flawed, Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jin are extremely fun characters. Also, Darth Maul.

Also, the battle scene between Gungans and droids got somewhat redeemed in my eyes on my latest rewatch when I was able to spot one or two dead or wounded Gungans in the background. I don't know if they put them there for the Blueray release but it's good that they are there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

The CGI in that battle has NOT held up at all

The droids looked fine, I thought. The Gungans most definitely did not.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Watch them have a mission to infiltrate Death Planet II in the new movie and paint H8-Ball black to fit in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I heard this Grendels Dad is a real up-and-comer, Disney should give him a few millions to try his hand. I mean, it's Star Wars, what could go wrong.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

El Burbo posted:

They shouldn't have built the second one with the same flaw tbh

Well, they only had that one set of plans lying around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Krennic was/is my favorite Star Wars.

Between Krennic and Kylo Ren the new movies have done a good job with new entertainingly pathetic villains, while the heroes are all rather bland.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

porfiria posted:

It's always fun in a movie when a random faceless mook gives the hero a hard time. I can't think of any other examples right now but it's definitely fun.

Edit: Maybe that older German soldier in the truck in Indiana Jones 3?

The big bald German soldier in the first and the big burly child slaver in the second movie, too. They both beat the poo poo out of Indie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

K. Waste posted:

That's the thing about Rogue One and criticisms that the characters and their respective experiences are under-defined. Characters aren't just islands, they reflect upon one another. As SMG has pointed out, Cassian's experience reflects upon aspects of Jyn's experience that aren't explicitly shown, and that's not the only area in which Rogue One plays with this sense of duality. Indeed, the whole film is built rather overtly around duality. The most obvious example is Chirrut and Baze (the faith of the former bringing the latter out of his cynicism), Kay and Bodhi (both participants in the struggle who were formerly imperial soldiers who became 're-programmed' to fight for the rebellion), Saw and Galen (both father-figures as well as doomed subversives within their respective political spheres). Even the 'fan service' in the movie is explicitly dualistic: Artoo and Threepio, the two mooks who escape the genocide on Jedha only to be made examples by Obi-Wan, the CGI-realized Tarkin and Leia.

And, of course, the whole movie is about the problematic duality between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, that the overly pragmatic concerns of the latter betray how they'll inevitably succumb to the corruption that spawned the former.

My favorite example pointed out in this thread has to be Krennic as the pathetic all too human counterpart to Vader, complete with inverted color scheme for his clothes and guards.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

Compromise 3 wings.

Ripping off Battlestar would be perfect. It's like poetry :v:

Imo we should get more wings with each new movie, not less.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr President posted:

Star Wars used to be hard sci-fi. JJ thinks every planet is like right next to each other like countries. I mean I am fully aware there is SOME fantasy elements in Star Wars but Starkiller sucking up a sun and using the power to shoot a laser across the galaxy (that every planet can see in the sky apparently) and then branch off into 6 "Smart" lasers that automatically destroy 6 planets that are right next to each other that apparently make up the entire Republic was really loving horseshit. As was the lazy tv style flashbacks and changing the mythology and the ground rules of the Star Wars Universe to suit JJ's phoned in lazy style of filmmaking.

And Starkiller isn't even as dumb as that whole segment of Star Trek Into Darkness where they get out of hyper space far from earth and the ships are suspended in space, then one ship gets destroyed and somehow crashes into earth which was apparently right below it the whole time or JJ's Script for Man of Steel that makes me seriously question if he is even remotely familiar with the character or story.

True, the Death Star was much more plausible.

:psyduck:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Starkiller Base could have gotten away as like, an Episode 9 review. A slow build to the First Order building something to surpass the Empire that's hinted at and they roll into a big climatic confrontation with all the characters coming together into a larger conflict. Instead it's dropped and popped with no weight or consequence, hell, the closing shot of the death beam hitting it's target is two characters from a Disney EU novel we're supposed to care about.

I just realized we are going to get a prequel explaining Starkiller's origin. Like, there is no way it's not going to happen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr President posted:

Finn looks up as sees hosnia exploding and instantly shouts "its the republic!"

First of all there is no way they should have been able to see Hosnia from the planet there on and second how the gently caress would Finn know that was the republic capital?

Oh I know how: lazy storytelling. The story needed an excuse for Finn to suddenly go back to han and Rey after running away wanting nothing to do with them a few minutes prior

He knew about the planet-busting super weapon the FO built and he knew about the FO's hateboner for the Republic, what else could it have been?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vader may have been her father. But he was never her daddy.

Wait, that sounds weird here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Kylo's basically the same character as Anakin

I think we don't know enough about Kylo's motivation yet to make such an assessment. Kylo is clearly not afraid of losing his loved ones because, you know, he shanks his dad. His turning to the dark side already seems way sadder than Anakin's too, because Anakin was surrounded by assholes who taught him horrible things, whereas Kylo was brought up by the heroes of the first trilogy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr President posted:

He was a low level janitor and made no mention prior that he knew of their plans

You would think after realizing that he was on Han "the war heros" ship he would mention that the republic was about to get wiped out

Phoneposting so digging up the quotes is a pain, but he knew. Why else do you think was he so eager to get away grom them as far and as fast as possible?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

"I wish the really brazen Nazi allegory faction in this series didn't have a scene in Force Awakens with a Nazi-esque salute, that way they'd be just different enough from Nazis that it wouldn't be awkward for me to openly root for them."

I think the criticism is that they are a Nazi allegory faction in the first place. You know, because Nazism is so yesterday.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Palpatine was in the middle of literally toasting the movie's main hero and Jesus character, and got interrupted when the single most impressive supervillain ever had a faceturn and Gorilla Pressed him down a bottomless pit in a storm of lightning. Undignified my rear end.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I guess, but we're not in Rome, we're on another planet. I suppose it does more to link the scene to something we may be more familiar with, I just don't see the need for it when one of the most common complaints is that the whole scene is too long. Jabba and (presumably) Bib Fortuna are unneeded set dressing, to me.

The best part about the pod race is Jabba's lack of interest in it, to the point where he rather plays with his food than watching it. Which is pretty much my reaction to the pod race.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

See, I quite like Jabba's cameo, because it really makes him feel like an institution of Tatooine. He's not just an obstacle that shows up at the end of the saga to give Luke something to do in the first half of ROTJ, he's a hugely important part of Tatooine society who's been around since the days of the Old Republic (and who was a big deal even then, so he's been around longer than the saga itself). It's not "necessary" in a plot sense - you could easily tell TPM's story without him - but I think it's a really cool addition to Jabba's character and the sense of Tatooine as a place. I'd actually put it as one of the better OT cameos.

It does make him seem like an institution, what I don't like about his inclusion is that it's the wrong kind of institution. I guess all rulers are gangsters so it works on that level, but going from shady drug/sex den Jabba to Roman Emperor Jabba still is a weird jump, no matter how many orgies the Romans had.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

its not a shady sex/drug den its a mobsters nightclub

It's not a nightclub. There are no patrons in Jabba's castle, they're all his henchmen and/or slaves. He has strippers performing for his own personal amusement, but it's not like you can just come for a drink, watch the strippers get eaten, and leave again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

No its a nightclub. Complete with bouncers, guest list a full band and huge musical performances. He has dedicated droids to serve people drinks.

Maybe I have a narrow definition of the concept of a nightclub, but for me a key part of a nightclub is that it has patrons. You know, like the cantina in ANH. If that were a bit posher and bigger, I might call it a nightclub. Jabba place has been called a palace, it has guards and a court that he entertains with music and games.

Also, the droids serve drinks on the pleasure barge, which again is not a nightclub, it's a pleasure barge.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The whole back wall opposite Jabba is little alcoves with people sitting around tables with drinks and stuff watching entertainment. It def has more than just a "place where his cronies go to get the next bounty contract" feel to it. Also theres really no difference between the palace and barge. Its filled entirely with the same people who moments ago were all in the palace. His patrons are all getting served booze inside while his henchmen are riding on the little flying dingys.

So the patrons just hang out there for days on end?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

One problem I have with all this is how little of it shows in ANH, the movie that constitutes Tatooine's reputation as a backwater shithole kinda sorta in the grasp of criminals. But it's the Empire we see in control of Tatooine there, the only guy ever worried about Jabba is Han. The connection between RotJ and TPM works fine now that I had time to think about it, Jabba really comes across as a decadent ruler in RotJ, which fits nicely with the Roman thing in TPM . But the Tatooine of ANH almost seemed too lovely to have a despot like that. The planet and society depicted in ANH is more like whatshisname desert planet in TFA, plus imperial supervision.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

A lot of what we see in ANH is Luke's perspective on Tatooine. Ironically given Lynch almost directed it, RotJ has a Blue Velvet thing going on where he discovers his boring hometown has thriving criminal and bdsm scenes

That makes Luke's demeanor at Jabba's place extra funny, kid is trying very hard not to notice the hookers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

josh04 posted:

Jabba has taken a fall between TPM and ROTJ. In TPM he's a louche emperor, seeing people live and die in the pod race for his amusement, sole despot on a planet outside the control of the republic. By ROTJ, (presumably at the instigation of Vader!) Tatooine has been brought under the heel of the Empire and Jabba is a petty tyrant in exile, wallowing in the shadow of his former role in a dank speakeasy surrounded by lickspittles and scum.

I like that road, but there is still the bump of ANH. I guess by ANH Jabba is desperate enough to let a good smuggler disrespect him and get away with owing him money, but it lacks the clarity I'd like for a reading like this. I might need to rewatch ANH though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Beeez posted:

But we know even in Empire that there are bounty hunters all over the galaxy looking for Han. Both from the dialogue Han has with that General as he's trying to leave, and the fact that at least one of the bounty hunters the Empire employs is looking for Han for that reason. So that already implies it's not a low-level thing.

That is an escalation of the events of ANH, though. Like, Jabba could still be a low-level thug on rear end planet X, being disrespected like that demands retribution.

• Locked thread