Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's pretty simple logic really. Guy loves his wife, guy gets a vision about his wife dying (and his previous one about his mom dying came true), guy learns that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, guy finds out his boss is going to kill the only Sith left in the galaxy.

A ton of people would at least consider stopping the Sith lord from dying, especially when the executioner is himself violating the law.

But he didn't even "learn" that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, he just heard a myth (are we supposed to think of Anakin as literal child who believes every story he is told?). Palpatine didn't offer him any powers, there was no proof that he could actually have such a power nor does he even know if the Sith still exist or who they are (up until that certain moment).
It's all just so flimsy as excuse for him to turn to the dark side. Sure he had bad visions about his wife but that's really not enough as justification/motivation, not to mention that it makes it even more stupid that he is in the end the one who hurts his wife. The whole way he acts and then "decides" to join the dark side doesn't feel organic. It's not even a real decission, his "turn" was more of an impulse. That might seem human on one hand but on the other hand it also made it way less dramatic than it could have been. Anakin stumbled to the dark side instead of being seduced by it. I know that some people will argue that's how it was supposed to be and everything else is just fan fiction in the minds of SW fans but it certainly doesn't add any sympathy towards Anakin and takes gravitas away from the whole story.
Until today I don't understand why Lucas wasted two movies before finally starting to tell the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader (and yes that was THE reason to be excited for the prequels). On top of that the big dramatic moment wasn't even well setup for the final movie. Padme wasn't put in danger, there is no conflict between Anakin and Obi-Wam/the Jedi, Palpatine still hadn't revealed himself or really started to turn Anakin, Anakin himself was still 100% in the Jedi camp (and yes some teeny bitching about Obi-Wan doesn't change that) and hardly showed any character development or growth as person (in whatever direction). Parts of Dooku's character for example would have worked well with Anakin. There you have a former Jedi who was disappointed/felt betrayed by the Jedi and thus turned to the dark side. Why introduce such an additional character when you are already trying to tell the story of Darth Vader? I get the need for a big "villain" but having Dooku and Grievous was just unecessary and messy. I guess the problem was already in the pacing of the prequels. Setting the first film so far behind the other two was always going to cause problems in regards to story telling, the time gap was simply too big for a more cohesive story and while it was a good moment in TPM in hindsight it would have been better to keep Darth Maul around for the 2nd movie.
That way Anakin could have had his big moment in the 2nd movie against Maul with plenty of possibilities to create a dramatic story around it (revenge for Quin-Gon or whatever else Maul might have done in the 1st/2nd movie) and more importantly show more of the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan/the Jedi instead of wasting your screen time on all kinds of other plots (and I don't even mean the relationship with Padme, that's fine, even necessary to humanize Anakin though I wish it would have been done competently and with actors that had at least some chemistry with each other on screen). Also let Palpatine be more active instead of giving that screen time to Dooku and Grievous. Let him actually seduce Anakin. We got hints of that in the 3rd movie and those were among the best scenes in the prequels but it was too little and too late.
There was never a need for Palpatine to be the biggest undercover master manipulator in space history. His identity doesn't need to be a secret until the third movie. It could have already been revealed in the 2nd movie (at least to some people) and then be used to escalate the story a lot sooner (and there are still enough ways to get Palpatine into power). You could even have used that reveal in showing how ineffective the Jedi have become, not just to the audience but especially to Anakin. Give him an actual side he can turn to/be seduced by instead of this vague background threat the Sith were in the first two prequel movies which was imo one of the biggest problems of the prequels. It not only made the Jedi look more stupid than plausible but it also created problems for the story because Lucas constantly had to invent new factions and characters he could throw at Anakin and the Jedi despite Palpatine/the Sith being the most interesting and the whole "reason" for the prequels in the first place.
The original movies were about those two big forces (pun intended) with the Rebellion being a lot more in the background (sometimes literally being in the background) while the prequels pushed the Republic and the Separatists right into our faces (including their politics) and made the Jedi/the Sith side characters. That's just bad if your main character is Anakin/Darth Vader and not some Star Wars space politician and your famous factions are the Jedi and Sith and not space parties. Do all of that if you want to tell the story of Bail Organa but keep it to a minimum if you want to tell an epic scfi-fantasy story and not a political drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Anakin is a nice person who starts off caring about other people than himself and risking his life for them.

Anakin in TPM doesn't even matter in regards to this whole discussion. He is a little kid and you could argue that kids aren't real personalities (there is precedent in many human cultures for this view). In the end TPM doesn't give Anakin more than a few character traits you were expecting anyways as well as some history but that doesn't really factor into the person Anakin becomes as far as the audience goes. This is also not helped by the fact that we talk about totally different actors. It was a huge jump from kid Anakin to grown up Anakin and we haven't got a clue what happened in the meantime or who this older Anakin is.
That's why I keep arguing that it was a bad idea to waste a whole movie about kid Anakin. All of that could have been done in 15-20 Minutes in the first movie to get across what happened to him as kid and then use the next movies to show who Anakin is and why the audience should care or empathise about him.
This also goes beyond doing heroic/"good" stuff and why even villains can be more likeable than goody good characters though it doesn't surprise me that goons still don't get why Anakin wasn't liked (and again "like" doesn't mean people have to consider him as "good" guy).
TFA is at least very effective in creating a connection between characters like Rey, Ren, Finn and the audience and that was always the biggest shortcoming of the prequels. Kylo Ren's and Han's scene had for example more gravitas than the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS and that pretty much says it all about the prequels and how "well" they got feelings across.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The movie does not want you to feel bad for him.

The movie doesn't want anything.

Except make Lucas richer. Finally something people can agree on.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

I thought an inherently violent Sith was a good idea, but he didn't follow through.

In terms of accomplishments beyond slashing at some computers to show how angry he is and killing an unarmed family member who wasn't trying to hurt him, he accomplished nothing. It's all well and good saying he's powerful and violent, but what did he actually do with that power and violence that is meant to make him seem a threat?

He failed to find BB8, then his prisoner escaped, then he failed to find BB8 AGAIN, then he couldn't break his new prisoner, then he lost his prisoner AGAIN, then he killed someone who wasn't trying to fight back while failing to stop the detonation which ruined the star killer, then got shot, then stabbed and then out-duelled by a novice while managing to only take down a single rookie storm-trooper using a weapon Fin had only used once before for about 30 second.

Well it's not like Vader was super successfull either (at least in ANH). ;)
In any case I think people are missing the point with Ren. Imo he isn't supposed to be the classical villain and I can't be the only one who is pretty sure that we will see him turn to the light side while Rey will take the opposite path (maybe I'm wrong about Rey but I'm 99% sure that there is a redemption arc for Ren and one that goes farther than Vader's did).

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

Well, not all of them, but sure, I have. I still don't get the point, though. Saying that the only reason some people have a problem with Rey is because she's a girl is pretty dishonest.

Ya, I mean it is kind of obvious what happened. Disney wanted their "Katniss" as Star Wars hero but there is obviously still the fear the (male dominated) audience would reject her so they overcompensated for it and really, really made sure that everyone likes her. It's why she isn't as whiny as Luke/Anakin, has hardly any backstory or desires (she is only waiting for her parents, that's a really passive character motivation) and is very competent at a lot of things and learns very, very fast.
On top of that we are made to feel sorry for her from the beginning. I mean Luke certainly lived on a lovely planet and the OT also made clear he isn't happy but it was more of a "unhappy about average life as farmer boy on some backwater planet" instead of lonely, miserable life with no future at all. Despite that she never complains about it, there is no conflict that arises from her thin backstory, she also never gets in conflict with any of the other characters (instead everyone likes her) and we really don't get to hear her opinions or see her feelings about anything.
Don't get me wrong, it does achieve what it is set out to do but I honestly think Rey's whole character isn't motivated by the story and instead more a result of Disney's goals (and fears) and everything else was built around that. It makes me a bit sad because it means Hollywood in the 21st century still thinks that's neccessary, that a female character needs this kind of support for the audience to emphasize with her and that we can't have a more nuanced female character which maybe not everyone would like, you know like Kylo Ren for example. A villain I enjoyed because he is something we don't get to see often, especially in Star Wars and to me it seems that Disney didn't want to take the same chances with their female hero. I'd go as far as saying that if Ren would have been female Disney would have never dared to do the same.
First female villain in Star Wars that isn't a total badass and gets beaten by an untrained person? Imagine the outcry. It goes to show that the gender of characters DOES influence their portrayal but in the totally wrong ways despite good intentions and why I feel they would have done more with Rey as character if she would have been another male hero (not that I want this but I'm very sure they'd have done more to set such a character apart from Anakin/Luke, with Rey you get the feeling that being female is enough difference for Disney).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 28, 2015

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Sonance posted:

Ever consider the possibility that Luke has been teaching his padawans the concept of a Light Side? Maybe it doesn't exist in any tangible sense, but Luke may have come up with the concept for purely illustrative/symbolic purposes during his teachings. It may not be a wholly accurate way of describing the Force, but for a youngling (lolz) or some other Force n00b it might be a good starting point on which to build a foundation of understanding and thus the concept would eventually work its way outside Jedi circles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=infZSKB5L9I

Listen to what they say, Luke even asks Yoda how he can tell apart the good side from the dark one. In the OT they might not have called it the "light side" but the dark side definitely existed and the good/light side was at least implied. I have honstly no idea why this even comes up as often as it does in this forum, the OT was a simple story about "good vs evil" at its core so it's not like this is some hidden thing.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

WrathOfBlade posted:

I tried to pay closer attention to Rey's scenes the second time I saw TFA, and what I realized was that yes, Rey has a way higher base power than Luke and possibly any other jedi in the series, but that she also has way more mental blocks. Luke, on some level, wants to leave home; Rey basically has a panic attack over it. Her story isn't about learning to use a lightsaber, it's about not being terrified of doing so because it means she has to grow up and accept her magical destiny.

Rey only seems unchallenged or badly written if you're directly comparing her to characters from other movies, she totally makes sense if you take her & TFA in general on its own terms.

Not really, her "mental blocks" are abonded pretty fast and easy. She of course has the "reluctant hero" thing going on in regards to her Jedi heritage but in the end she picks up the light sabre on her own and decides to confront Ren. She also just needs the mention of the force to compose herself and overcome those "mental blocks". It's very different to Luke's journey who struggled at least two movies and the whole training part in ESB was how his doubts held him back, it simply just got a lot more time.
People also should stop with the whole "on its own terms" thing because this is impossible. TFA is part of a series of movies and we can't just forget/ignore what happened before and things will of course be compared. The problem is anyways not the comparison, it's what conclusions you derive from them. When it comes to "Rey" the problem is that like some other parts of the movie it could have needed more time to explore (explain) aspects of the characters and story instead of rushing through everything. There was a little bit of that with Maz but that was rather superficial and dealt more with the Jedi/Luke heritage (and the usual destiny spiel) and didn't do much to explore Rey as character (even Rey's flashbacks have the same issue as the movie, they are rushed images compared to Luke's elaborate "vision" he had in ESB in which he fought Vader).
So "badly written" is too harsh for my taste but it's true that the script didn't give Rey enough room to grow as character. She is rushed through the story like everyone else and the only minor exception is Ren. I mean his little scene with Vader's mask told you more about him than most of Rey's scenes together did for her. He also gets his temper tantrums, the Stormtrooper reaction to him, the interaction with Snoke/Hux and a few other little things which really flash him out as character while Rey is too busy in the story with finishing one quest after the other.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Effectronica posted:

It's not. Your move.

TFA is part of a larger story and this is very much on purpose or better said the whole point so why should it be viewed on its own terms? Not even the movie itself justifies it because it isn't even a complete story, a lot less so than ANH for example. The movie ends with a cliffhanger and no story or character arc is even close to being finished. TFA also heavily relies on the past movies for it's stories and characters, going as far as copying most of it so why should it get special treatment in this regard?
I mean it doesn't even ask for standing on its own, it very much WANTS to be viewed as part of the OT, the whole movie screams at you "look at me, this is just like the OT".

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Sith ≠ darkside user

Which doesn't really matter because until the PT there were no Sith in Star Wars and thus Darth Vader and Palpatine were also "just" darkside users for all we knew. It's another unnecessary distinction the PT brought to SW (and its not surprising that it is another PT element ignored by TFA).

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

They were friends. Maybe not super best friends forever, but The Clone Wars makes it pretty clear they pretty drat friendly, it's too bad none of that really made it into the movies.

ya that's the funny thing when people bring up the "Anakin and Obi-Wan weren't really supposed to be friends"-defense because then Lucas contradicts himself with The Clone Wars which DID show them like the OT suggested. In the CW you could see them as friends and equals. I mean it was not like there was never conflict between them but it was done in a way that seemed sensible between _friends_ and more importantly you really did get the feeling those two went through a lot of things together. It's too bad the movies weren't able to show us this side of their relationship, that's the biggest failure of the PT in my opinion because dramactically everything hinged on that one aspect.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Had another viewing of TFA and noticed how Ren said to Ray that he wants to teach her in the force. He doesn't talk about the dark side (if I remember correctly, neither he or Snoke ever mention the dark side) which further supports my own speculation in regard to what direction they try to go. To me it seems like they want to explore certain gray areas or the force as whole and that's what Snoke/Ren are all about (it would even explain Ren's "finish what you started"-angle).
It's also interesting how different the relationship between Ren and Snoke is compared to any dark side users ever depicted in Star Wars. Ren can confess his weakness/struggles with the light side to Snoke without fear of punishment, it suggests a genuine mentor/student relationship.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Well Ren does ask Vader's helmet to show him the power of the darkness so he can finish "what you started". What Vader started and didn't finish is uh...? Converting/Killing Luke? The crawl says FO is looking for Luke but Ren is the only one really invested in it.

The question is what Ren/Snoke think Vader "started". If it's "bringing balance to the force" this leaves a lot of room for different interpretations.
And yes I know that he talked about the power of the darkness but isn't that choice of words at least curious (like he doesn't have that power yet)? I am not trying to suggest that Ren/Snoke don't utilize the dark side but that there is more going on than this, that the dark side could be more like a tool for them (just like the light side).
Snoke just talking about "training" and Ren offering Rey to teach her in the FORCE instead of the dark side must be more than coincidence. Now I can only speculate but maybe Ren is supposed to be a vehicle that combines dark and light side without falling to either side or at least that is what Snoke has him convinced to do (like he first needs to get rid off the light side and learn to use the dark side before he can reach that "next level" of the force so they can accomplish whatever they have set out to do) but there is certainly a very different dynamic between them compared to previous SW villains (they have the Luke/Yoda-relationship down to the whole training-not-finished aspect) as well as a very different characterization (Snoke isn't portrayed evil for the sake of being evil and he seems to be not just visually but also emotionally distant to the First Order like it's just another tool to achieve whatever his ultimate goal is).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2016

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cheesus posted:

"I thought TFA was being done like Star Wars '77 all practical effects, saving us from the awfulness that was the CGI-only prequels."

This looks interchangeable with any of the "making of" prequel videos with the amount of CGI and practical effects.

It really doesn't if you know what you are talking about.
Look for example how the Stormtroopers were done in AOTC and how they were done in TFA. Besides that the main complain about the CGI in the prequels was that it tried to do too many things without having the right technology yet and why a lot of CGI has aged very badly and very fast.
This doesn't mean TFA is perfect, Snoke and Maz are also lacking for me and actually remind me of some bad prequel stuff but overall they did a much better job in blending the CGI with everything else.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Normal humans can never podrace, our reflexes are too slow. Anakin is a very rare exception.

So Koreans don't exist in Star Wars? :(

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

They're all consecutive shots where the camera doesn't move. Of course you can draw conclusions about the editing pattern.

Sorry, I went back and timg'ed everything.

The OT knew when to use such shots (also see the Vader/Tarkin scene in the Deathstar conference room) while the PT used them at pretty much everytime in a very lazy way.
Luke's scene with his parents is a good example of this because they ARE doing something, they have their family dinner, they eat (you could argue that the "boring" side of such family dinner talks is the whole point). It shows Luke's daily life and thus explores his character and motivation. I can't even remember what exactly was going on in that PT talk or what exact moment in the movie it was
That's very different to Luke's scene which wasn't one of many similar scenes throughout the movies, it had a very distinct purpose and didn't just drop exposition on the viewer.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 16, 2016

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
The Jedi in the PT are never shown as bad or corrupted, they are just ineffective/incompetent and ignorant to the dangers right infront of them. If anything they should have taken more drastic actions sooner and the parallels in the whole story to the Weimar Republic are quite obvious if you wanna go down the whole "how to deal with a facist takeover" angle.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point is not to make a list of geographical features but to talk about how they're employed as part of the narrative. For example, despite being a nice green, the grassy plains around Naboo are a rather barren place equated to the sands of Tatooine and associated with the approaching enemy. We spend a lot of time there, getting used to the abstraction of it - just a massive near-featureless carpet on which the combatants arrange themselves geometrically.

It's bland (near featureless) because the CGI is bland and Lucas would make it differently (more details) today with the available technology, no reason to pretend it's some sort of great artistic choice beside the simple fact that all battlefields are rather bland if you don't want to obsucre the action (which is why for example the battle in Braveheart was also just on a grassy plain and yet certainly didn't want to invoke Tatooine).

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
This thread: http://webmshare.com/K7Gg1

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

homullus posted:

You agree that the clones were definitely modified to obey without question. Palpatine gave an order that they obeyed without question: that was order 66.

The clones also went to war with the Separatists on behalf of the Republic. Some died fighting the Separatists. Can you explain how that happened without that act exploiting their ingrained obedience? Again, they obey without question, so you have no idea whether they would question a given order from the Republic. We see them fighting. How do you imagine that happened without orders?

The animated clone wars series made it clear that its actually an implanted chip that makes Clones obey order 66 and not something that's in their DNA. So Clones have at least certainly the potential of free will and that's another thing thats shown there.
They are obviously conditioned from birth to be soldiers but that's more of a morally grey area.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Jyn's dad intentionally incorporating the thermal exhaust port design flaw would be bad because it would undermine a central theme of the original films, which is that the Empire is arrogant in its pretensions to absolute power, and that even the strongest foe has an Achilles heel. Having the Achilles heel be an intentional act committed by a Rebel sympathizer would complicate that theme to the point of unintelligibility. It would be far more of a betrayal of the themes of the series than anything that appeared in the prequels. It's just such a horrible, horrible idea. Luckily, as far as I know, there's no reason to even suspect that it's the case.

In contrast, Anakin building C-3PO by hand does nothing except emphasize C-3PO's peculiar connection to humanity and the natural world, and more specifically his thematic kinship to Darth Vader, elements which were inherent to the original films. It's not comparable to the above idea in any way, unless you're trying to make the argument that C-3PO's connection to the young Darth Vader is contrived in some way. Well, it isn't.

There's absolutely nothing contrived about C-3PO and R2-D2's connection to the main characters in the prequels. The problem is that everyone always insists on looking at things backwards. The prequels, obviously, take place chronologically before the originals. The way the story of the prequels unfold, it ends up being perfectly natural for the droids to end up in the hands of the Organas serving them on their private blockade runner.

From that point, it makes perfect sense that they'd end up at the center of the war of rebellion against the Empire, and it's perfectly plausible that the ever reliable Artoo would be entrusted with a secret mission to deliver a message to Ben Kenobi on Tatooine. Ben Kenobi, remember, is one of two remaining Jedi allies of the Rebels left in the galaxy, and also the very reason Bail Organa ended up in possession of the two droids in the first place (he's literally the one who brought them to Bail's blockade runner in Episode III). It isn't terribly surprising that any droid belonging to one of the leaders of the Rebellion would at some point come into contact with Kenobi, let alone two trusted droids who actually share a history with him.

And the only reason Artoo and Threepio run into Luke first is because they're aiming for the part of the planet where Ben Kenobi lives, which is obviously going to be a stone's throw away from where Luke lives. And on a barren planet like Tatooine, where people live hundreds of miles away from each other across tracts of utterly barren desert, if they were going to run into anybody, it was going to be either Ben or Luke.

All that's happening is Artoo and Threepio are bouncing around between the ownership of the Skywalkers, the Organas, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, all of whom are close associates of each other and who are therefore bound to come into further contact over the years. There's some coincidence involved, mainly regarding the circumstances in ANH wherein the droids come to be selected for this particular mission (and actually only Artoo was--Threepio just tagged along), but not any more than there ever is in any of the original Star Wars movies, and not as much as is commonly claimed. If the movies had come out in order, no one would even notice anything.

The original theme will already be "undermined" in your point of view because the Empire is reliant on someone like Jeyn's Dad instead of being this untouchable and arrogant force. Not saying that I'm a fan of the idea of him including this design flaw but you can talk it away just like you do with C3PO and the prequels (just that this time the Empire's arrogance/failure would be to not notice that someone like Jeyn's Dad introduced such a design flaw).

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

It's a different kind of arrogance, one that's not nearly as attractive from a thematic standpoint. It would really over-complicate things in an unnecessary way, like the worst of the EU did.

You mean like the prequels did with C3PO? It's a circular argument at this point because tings like "attractive from a thematic standpoint" are highly subjective and in one case you give it additional meaning while in the other its overcomplicating things in an unnecessary way. That's kind of arbitrary.

quote:

I don't really feel like arguing the point though, since I'm pretty sure most people would intuitively agree with me anyway that it's a bad idea.

The argument wasn't about people to agree with you it's a bad idea (I think so too), it's about different standards for a very similar situation.

quote:

It's really not much of a coincidence at all, actually. I just made a big long post about it.

At this point people are just complaining that the droids were in the prequels at all. Even though it was basically common knowledge that that would be the case ever since Lucas first started talking publicly about prequels in like 1980 or whatever. They were always the two characters who were going to be in every movie, connecting the trilogies together, witnessing all the major galaxy-changing events from the lowliest position in society.

The droids don't connect anything at all. They are window dressing in the prequels and treated that way. Cut them out of the prequels and literally nothing is lost. There are enough characters to "connect" the two trilogies with Anakin/Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, Yoda and a few others, the droids weren't really needed, they are fan service which was shoehorned into the prequels. To me that isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, I can afterall ignore it, but don't pretend like their inclusion served an actual purpose or has some kind of deep meaning.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Its pretty clear that in the original cut Jyn is a member of Saw's terrorist force, who meets up with the alliance on Jedha & gets brought in. So she is a dangerous rebel terrorist from the faction the OT rebel alliance kind of excommunicated for being too XTREME.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't have the guts to let Jeyn be a "terrorist" but I guess that's nowadays a tabu for "heroes" in US movies.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I never understood how someone could secretly order a whole clone army. Who paid for that? :confused:

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

well why not posted:

Don't ever try and think about economics of anything in Star Wars. How much does a clone army cost, and if a government has an entire planet worth of cloning agencies, how could you possibly have something to pay them that thay'd want?

That's why I even bring it up, it was the prequels that introduced the Trade Federation, blockades and stuff so if you do that do it properly. I can't speak for others but that's what has always bothered me about them. They try to introduce a lot of complex topics but they handled in a very shallow way, there is nothing under the surface. The whole "clone army" thing would have been much more interesting if the Jedi actually supported it, not because they liked the idea but maybe because they though it was a necessary step in reaction to the separatists. What the prequels do is just a cop-out of this moral dilemma because it's not the actions of the Jedis that cause all of this, they aren't even manipulated, it's in the end all down to Palpatine's actions and the worst thing the Jedi do is just being tricked.
That's why I never understood why this forum here is so obsessed with the idea that the prequels show the Jedi as bad. The only thing they show is at best incompetence by the Republic and the Jedi.

UmOk posted:

I never understood how someone could secretly build a metal laser moon. Who paid for that? :confused:

Na, that was never a problem, at least in the original trilogy because that project was backed by an entire galactic empire (though TFA's Starkiller does raise questions) and the construction of it was a huge deal while the prequels act like ordering a clone army is like some pizza ordering prank and just shrug it off?

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 16, 2017

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

It's been gone over a hundred times but the Jedi are ossified agents of the liberal status quo and , at the end , try to take over the state . Their obsession with status and power clouds their minds.

That's an interpreation of this particular forum with no evidence whatsoever. The Jedi are overall even very passive when it comes to political matters. They just go along with the decisions that are made around them, that's the opposite of an obsession with status and power. You could even argue that they hold a lot of power and yet do nothing with it to create good political policy. Palpatine's role should have been obvious to anyone who really cares about power/status and yet it wasn't for the Jedi, to me that just shows incompetence or even ignorance of the political reality.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Serf posted:

The first thing we see of them in the movies is them acting as hired muscle for the Republic, and later on they try to institute regime change through political assassination.

They act FOR the republic as diplomats/space police but it's not the Jedi organisation doing politics, it's doing it in the name of others. It's also absurd to suggest they wanted a regime change through "political assassination".

UmOk posted:

The Clone army was backed, in secret, by the Republic

The clone army wasn't backed by the Republic. It was backed by a single individual who only made the claim to work for the Jedi/Republic which makes the whole thing just preposterous.

quote:

The Death Star was backed, in secret, by the Empire.

It wasn't just "backed" by the Empire. It was a project planned and executed by an empire of galactic scale. That's closer to something like the Manhattan project which was also "secret" and very different from some guy ordering an army on some hidden planet.

quote:

Now how they kept the Death Star a secret is a mystery. Maybe Sheev built is piece by piece by himself. And nobody noticed a new moon materializing.

Why is a secret clone army so ridiculous but a laser moon is totally plausible? It's like Star Wars fans dont like Star Wars.

It's not the concept of a "secret" clone army that is ridiculous, it's how it was executed/achieved, it's really not that hard to understand...
It's A LOT easier to keep a huge project secret (to the public) if you got the resources and power of a whole empire to do so while it's kind of ridiculous that someone can do this just with pretending to be someone else and no official power or resources involved at all. You know, someone had to sign contracts and pay for that stuff, it's not like someone just ordered a pizza with a prank call so that whole clone army scenario is like someone casualy ordering an atomic bomb on the dark web. Sure you can write such a story but please don't tell me it's even remotely plausible. It might sound nitpicky but stuff like this is just one of the examples how little thought was out into this whole subplot. You could have done a lot more with such a "secret army" plot and instead we got this... (Palpatine could have used this secret "Jedi army" to discredit them in the public eye and thus gain control but no, that would have been too subtle so the clones simply got chips which turned them into killer robots only loyal to Palpatine which begs the question why something like this was even programmed into them if they were ordered in the name of the Jedi, it makes zero sense).

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2017

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

The concept seems nonsensical because Jedi orthodoxy already preaches balance between light and dark.

It doesn't. The only "balance" the Jedi talk about is where the dark side is destroyed, that's "Balance to the force"- There can be no balance with the dark.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/903299927572307968

So when are we getting our TR-8R/BB-H8 spinoff series?

The "fun" thing is that in Germany "HH", "88" (H => 8th letter in the alphabet) or any combination of the two is known as shorthand for "Heil Hitler" in the NeoNazi scene, so I guess that's a bullet they dodged (or maybe someone even made them aware of it and that's why it wasn't picked?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Waititi scoffed at being brought up as a possible candidate on Twitter, saying he'd be fired the first week.

I imagine after all this, even the nerdiest and hungriest of young Hollywood directors would be hesitant to jump on board a Star Wars flick; Josh Trank being chewed up and spit out, Gareth Edwards losing control on his film and having to stand by while another director reshoots a third of it, Lord & Miller being fired right before filming is completed, Colin Trevorrow being fired directly after. Waititi and Vogt-Roberts immediately took to Twitter to remove their names from contention and I imagine a good number of others will as well. No hot young director wants to be the next on the Lucasfilm naughty list. Lucasfilm itself is likely pivoting their strategy, looking to more Ron Howards of the world who know their place as workman technicians who don't make waves and do what they're told.

I can imagine a not too distant future where Brett Ratner winds up on one of these.

Removing their names from contention lol... like they were ever candidates. Let's be honest here, everyone will still be jumping at the chance to be involved in a project like this. It might be able to break you but it can just as easily make you VERY big.

• Locked thread