Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I believe there was some mention about putting this in every Star Wars OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Because the stuff that happens off-screen in the prequels doesn't make the plot of the prequels confusing. For example, we don't need to see Obi-Wan actually train Anakin, because Attack of the Clones makes it perfectly clear to us in a couple lines what that training was like. No one was actually confused about Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship, they were just disappointed that we didn't get to see a pointless training montage for some reason.

TFA leaves out important information and doesn't fill in the gaps for us.

We don't need to see Obi-Wan actually train Anakin because Obi-Wan said in the very first movie that he trained him until he turned to evil. Nobody is confused because the prequels are building on 30 years of pop cultural osmosis.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

computer parts posted:

There were definitely at least two planetary bodies in that opening shot.

Those were actually in completely different star systems.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

You would have a more positive impression of Hitler or Himmler if they killed subordinates on a whim?

Subordinates? Hitler killed the Führer himself.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

See also: Batman v Superman

Hey man, keep it to the BvS thread. In here, Zach Snyder is a fascist and he's confused.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I don't often see you make good posts.

Sorry to break the combo.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

It's not required viewing but it's cool to have more stories and expanding the universe.

Having the same characters show up again and again doesn't expand the universe. It shrinks it.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

So characters are only allowed to show up once, in your opinion?

Characters only show up once anyway, unless we're talking about an explicitly direct sequel. As Cnut points out, we're just playing word games at this point.

Whether or not the character in Rogue One has any connection to the character in Clone Wars doesn't matter. The Clone Wars series is over, and the story it told is finished.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

And a character from that series is now appearing in Rogue One.

Right, a story that has nothing to do with the series.

James Bond movies aren't continuous despite the presence of the 'same' James Bond characters. Some of them are direct follow-ups to previous movies, but most have nothing to do with each other. The same applies here. The only thing really connecting Clone Wars with Rogue One is Disney/Lucasfilm saying so. It's meaningless.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

You can literally see the twin ion engines on the back of a TIE.

Tell me more about these twin ion engines.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue with this Tie Fighter thing is that it gets the causality backwards. There is a logic to the design: the ships are not at all aerodynamic, obviously not capable of flying down to a planet (oops, TFA).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Eagerly awaiting jivjov's explanation of how blasters work.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

homullus posted:

But that's exactly what he does at the end of Return of the Jedi? :confused:

At the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke throws his weapon away and refuses to continue fighting. He becomes the ideal Jedi he has constructed in his mind (read: the good man who was his father, before Anakin was seduced by the Dark Side), transcending the old false Jedi ideals that Obi-Wan and Yoda sought to instill in him. It is worth noting that Luke's ideal never actually existed before he stopped fighting. Luke's actions are revolutionary, and that's why people want to see him get in a big flashy lightsaber fight again.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

I would definitely vote for Natalie Portman over any of the actual candidates in this country.

Or I would have before I found out about her politics.

Well now I'm curious.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

How long before Disney does everyone a favor and kills this new canon (and then starts the cycle again)?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

The novels/comics/etc aren't fanfics. They're officially licensed works, that are by definition not fan fiction.

You've been tricked.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Never change, jivjov.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

starkebn posted:

When are people going to accept that while people writing the novels are Star Wars nerds slavishly trying to stick to every tiny detail from the films, the script writers don't give a poo poo about the novels

You need to be careful. The Story Group will keep the script writers in line.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

His real name is Ryan. He inherited 'Han Solo' from the previous Han Solo, who was not the real Han Solo either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Han Solo has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ungulateman posted:

'Han Solo' is just the Corellian equivalent of the Dread Pirate Roberts.

:thejoke:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I think Rian Johnson said it opens right where TFA ends at the hand off.

I really want to see Luke throw that lightsaber into the ocean in the first 30 seconds of the movie.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

"official Star Wars canon" is just a marketing ploy to convince you that what happens in the cut scenes of this generic FPS actually matter.

These are the words that summon jivjov.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Covok posted:

Uh, Yoda never used force lightning. He was just blocking and redirecting Sidous' force lightning.

It wasn't my gun, your honor. It belonged to the man I shot.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Here's all you need to know about droids' programming in Star Wars:

It's against C-3PO's programming to impersonate a deity.

C-3PO impersonates a deity.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It really doesn't even matter though. If a being is programmed to feel love, or pain, or to have hopes and dreams, and then why would that being not be considered worthy of human rights? Who cares why they feel these things? Why does that make a difference?

The semantic argument of "robot vs. person" is a smoke screen for the real issue, which is whether or not its ok to abuse droids or treat them as property.

I disagree. Emotions are not programmable (or so my limited understandings of psychology and computer science lead me to believe, please correct me if I'm wrong). You could theoretically program a roomba to express emotions in response to stimuli, but unless that emotion emerges internally instead of because you got all the 1s and 0s right, it isn't actually emotion and the roomba isn't actually a person.

As far as the semantics go, you're right that the issue is about mistreating people, but if you assume droids are no different than real-world robots, then it's perfectly rational to conclude that droids are not people. The base assumption shouldn't hold up to what we see on the screen in these movies, but people generally aren't good at reading movies and I think most of us post in CD to get better at that.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The MSJ posted:

George Lucas actually vetoed against the existence of lightsaber resistant material.

If he vetoed it, how'd it get into published material when he owned the franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Also to assassinate the Emperor and his abominable minion.

Yes, that's what he said.

Obi-Wan posted:

You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

• Locked thread