Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
So I was thinking about those supposedly leaked plot points:

I could actually see Luke just disappearing and letting Rey deal with the animals and environment of whatever the hell the planet they're on is called. That's exactly the sort of bullshit kung-fu masters always pull and probably exactly what OT Yoda would do.

e:

Also, Another of the leaked points was Snoke killing General Hux. At the end of TFA, Ren asks Vader to show him the power of the Dark Side again. I have a feeling that might be the demonstration he asks for. I'd imagine it happening in a rather dramatic fashion, like Hux trying to pull a coup.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
You know there's a designated spoiler thread, right?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
I thought I was in that thread :negative:

Also I just found the best thing: a SNL sketch in which Adam Driver plays Kylo Ren going undercover as a radar technician for a reality TV show:
(That's the guy who plays him in TFA in case you don't didn't actually know his name either). The title is Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mzh89

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hodgepodge posted:

I thought I was in that thread :negative:

Also I just found the best thing: a SNL sketch in which Adam Driver plays Kylo Ren going undercover as a radar technician for a reality TV show:
(That's the guy who plays him in TFA in case you don't didn't actually know his name either). The title is Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mzh89

That came out shortly after TFA did...but it's always worth a rewatch. Driver just nails it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rear end Catchcum posted:

I think it's the fact that we are supposed to project that a society would elect a 13 year old girl. It's a thing a writer thinks of, says, yeah, that seems cool, and implements without thinking how that would actually come about. So, we are left to project how and why this would happen/play out.

All of this would be headcannon, but how exactly do you think a society like that would elect a 13 year old? They wouldn't, realistically, but that's what happened because that's what George thought would be cool for the movie.

The Persian Empire (Sassanid) once crowned a king in utero.

We can assume she is valued, as many people are valued in our own liberal democracy, for her innocent "apolitical" common sense and her sexually attractive neoteny. And for people like Palpatine, for her malleability. George W basically ran on a platform of "I am your well meaning but slightly stupid little brother" despite being a middle aged former governor and aristocrat, and people ate that poo poo up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would definitely vote for Natalie Portman over any of the actual candidates in this country.

Or I would have before I found out about her politics.

So I'll vote Keira Knightley instead.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

sassassin posted:

I would definitely vote for Natalie Portman over any of the actual candidates in this country.

Or I would have before I found out about her politics.

Well now I'm curious.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

dublish posted:

Well now I'm curious.

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with Israel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagine how stupid a planet has to be to elect a 13 year old queen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Irony through the roof

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shes head of state of what appears to be an extremely low population luxury planet that is member of a massive republican system which the people elect different senators too. Like unless youre from their do you know who the governor of New Hampshire is and would you frankly give a poo poo if you found out they were some teenager?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Shes head of state of what appears to be an extremely low population luxury planet that is member of a massive republican system which the people elect different senators too. Like unless youre from their do you know who the governor of New Hampshire is and would you frankly give a poo poo if you found out they were some teenager?

If I didn't live there, no, I wouldn't give a poo poo. But if I was from New Hampshire I'd definitely be embarrassed to live in a state that voted a teenager into the highest executive office.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

If I didn't live there, no, I wouldn't give a poo poo. But if I was from New Hampshire I'd definitely be embarrassed to live in a state that voted a teenager into the highest executive office.

I lived in a county where the MP was dating half of popular music duo "The Cheeky Girls".

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I would reckon it's like if the King/Queen of England were suddenly able to be voted on; she doesn't seem to wield much executive authority

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Basebf555 posted:

"Ice Town Costs Ice Clown His Town Crown."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

RBA Starblade posted:

The Naboo system of elected monarchy is American Naboo Idol.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You think Sheev Palpatine was ever elected King of Naboo about when he was hitting puberty?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

General Dog posted:

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with Israel

I thought pro-Israel people hate her for being friends with Queen Noor of Jordan and working with a UN body that helps Palestinians.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People on Naboo seem to like the fairy-tale aesthetic. Padme's successor was another overachieving ingenue.

And then they got this frog person.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Bongo Bill posted:

People on Naboo seem to like the fairy-tale aesthetic. Padme's successor was another overachieving ingenue.

And then they got this frog person.

A pauper, no less.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

Barudak posted:

The joke is that Palpatine engineers the blockade to get Naboo sympathetic PR. He convinces Padme to use this to force an election for Supreme Chancellor and guess who wins?

Basically the Republic eats up the idea of a 13 year old "Queen" as the leader of a world. And they still do in the OT which is why the symbolic and most effective leader of the Rebel Alliance is Leia.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I would reckon it's like if the King/Queen of England were suddenly able to be voted on; she doesn't seem to wield much executive authority

Shes able to sign binding treaties and has some sort of support staff worth sending to camps so she has authority. In my opinion, She appears to be more like an electable monarch running a Spanish style system, if Spains entire population were Barcelona and was the size of a planet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hodgepodge posted:

Basically the Republic eats up the idea of a 13 year old "Queen" as the leader of a world. And they still do in the OT which is why the symbolic and most effective leader of the Rebel Alliance is Leia.

I think this kind of hits a "because it's a pulpy fantasy series" wall and is less a statement on the Republic liking fairy tales and more just because Star Wars in general is a sweeping fantasy kind of story. It has fairy tale elements because it was never mean to depict stories in a rigid futuristic setting. That's evoked even in the most recent films with examples like them using the original huge castle design as Vader's house (he was originally going to have a pair of pet dragons in it too!!!) in Rogue One or Maz keeping that lightsaber in a literal old timey wooden treasure chest in Force Awakens., but it's of course going to be in every other aspect of the movies in some way too.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I think this kind of hits a "because it's a pulpy fantasy series" wall and is less a statement on the Republic liking fairy tales and more just because Star Wars in general is a sweeping fantasy kind of story. It has fairy tale elements because it was never mean to depict stories in a rigid futuristic setting. That's evoked even in the most recent films with examples like them using the original huge castle design as Vader's house (he was originally going to have a pair of pet dragons in it too!!!) in Rogue One or Maz keeping that lightsaber in a literal old timey wooden treasure chest in Force Awakens., but it's of course going to be in every other aspect of the movies in some way too.

I mean the movies are built around the rise and fall of a cult of wizards. It's not "hard scifi" as Roman DeBeers would call it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Let's look at the opening of Attack of the Clones once more, and talk about the clones that I haven't seen mentioned before -- those of Padme Amidala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsqqLeVc-b0

During this opening sequence, we have one copy of Amidala, played by Kiera Knightly, killed via bombing.

That is not Kiera Knightly. She was the double in TPM. Veronica Segura played her in AOTC.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

wowe you just pointed out why they cut that jabba scene in the first place

lucas is a hack and shouldve left the editing to his wifey

That isn't why the Jabba scene was cut. The duplicated dialogue wasn't even in the Greedo scene originally. All that exposition was supposed to be done in the Jabba scene, and when that scene was cut, all the necessary exposition was transferred to the Greedo scene instead. Then when Lucas added the Jabba scene back in later, he apparently just made a judgment call not to completely re-order and mess with the pacing of the Greedo scene again just for the sake of a couple repeated lines.

Marcia Lucas actually fought to keep the Jabba scene in originally because she thought it was an important part of establishing Han's character (specifically his fearlessness in the face of Jabba). George cut it because he was unsatisfied with the actor who played Jabba and didn't like all the cheap-looking Greedo duplicates standing around backing him up as bodyguards. I think they both were right and it was good that George found a way to put it back in years later while addressing those concerns (replacing the weak human actor with a CGI alien Jabba, punching up his lame posse by inserting Boba Fett).

Obviously you're just trolling but I figured other people might be legitimately interested.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I appreciate that the myth of Marcia Lucas as the ONLY REASON Star Wars is good because we can just assume any decision we approve of was made by her can be disproved by actual documentary evidence

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Rogue One would have not sucked so bad if Gareth Edwards would have just let his wife do the editing. Gareth Edwards made the fourth prequel because he is greedy and only cares about selling toys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rogue One is an interesting mess. I think the thing I disliked most of it outside of weird CGI Tarkin was an inconsistency with tone in dialog so lines that id love in a space opera just didnt work and vice versa. The real standout was the Mon Mothma and Bail Organa aside about Jedi and Leia that was delivered and written as though part of a different film and just completely undercut everything that came immediately prior.

Ill chalk up my feeling Mads Mikkleson was phoning in his lines to accent.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think R1 just speaks to how pavlovian the audience has become to the standard Star Wars assets. So much of it relied on the crutch of Star Wars iconography that it felt to me like the equivalent of watching kids play with Star Wars action figures in a sandbox. TFA did this the same thing with slightly more restraint. Neither movie has presented a single concept that elicits surprise- they instead reach for comfortable nostalgia. Some of that is inevitable (and indeed welcome), but Rogue One felt safe in the most cynical possible way. It was exactly what I feared was going to happen with Star Wars once Disney purchased it: totally bland competence.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cnut the Great posted:

That isn't why the Jabba scene was cut. The duplicated dialogue wasn't even in the Greedo scene originally. All that exposition was supposed to be done in the Jabba scene, and when that scene was cut, all the necessary exposition was transferred to the Greedo scene instead. Then when Lucas added the Jabba scene back in later, he apparently just made a judgment call not to completely re-order and mess with the pacing of the Greedo scene again just for the sake of a couple repeated lines.

Huh. Now that I think about it, the camera is on Han's blaster when he says those lines, isn't it?

Okay I just looked and now that's going to stand out to me forever. I always just assumed that was how Ford delivered that line both times, but the audio is clearly dubbed in from the Jabba scene. Pretty sure it's the same take, even. That's pretty cool, though, I like behind the scenes stuff.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jewmanji posted:

I think R1 just speaks to how pavlovian the audience has become to the standard Star Wars assets. So much of it relied on the crutch of Star Wars iconography that it felt to me like the equivalent of watching kids play with Star Wars action figures in a sandbox. TFA did this the same thing with slightly more restraint. Neither movie has presented a single concept that elicits surprise- they instead reach for comfortable nostalgia. Some of that is inevitable (and indeed welcome), but Rogue One felt safe in the most cynical possible way. It was exactly what I feared was going to happen with Star Wars once Disney purchased it: totally bland competence.
See, I had very much the opposite feeling and was impressed at how well R1 was able to carve out its own identity within such a familiar framework. The themes, the character archetypes, and the whole look and feel of R1 feel distinct from the movies around it even as it uses a lot of the same elements. It's not radically different in most of those aspects - it's still Star Wars, after all, and even the new stuff does a remarkable job of fitting into the existing universe - but it gives R1 the novelty that takes it beyond a pretty bunch of X-wings, TIE fighters, and ANH references. It was the inverse of TFA for me, where that movie was theoretically a brand new era and story, but outside of a few aspects didn't really feel like it was going beyond the familiar.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

Really? I thought the opposite; that it spoke to how Pavlovian the audience had become to the standard Star Wars assets in that it's not a typical Star Wars film, so the audience wasn't getting what they expected, so they jumped to "I am Uncomfortable and this film is Bad" instead of trying to engage with it as its own film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
K2 casually probing the brains of his dead clone with a robocop spike, while their eyes flicker in unison, may be the weirdest image in all Star Wars.

Rogue One is full of good twists (e.g. the menacing and villainous X-Wings, the fragile walking machines, the Death Star presented as more literal than metaphorical, etc.

TFA, as a contrast, goes with this ridiculous assertion that "it's all true - all of it." Which has the weird effect of rendering it 'non-canon'. Han was lying about the parsecs, and about Chewie'a ripping people's arms off. It's this 'post-truth', 'print the legend' version of Star Wars.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do you guys think George Lucas ever dropped acid? His friends all did.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Ugh, I had forgotten about Rey echoing the bullshit line about parsecs in TFA.
Han was written to be lying through his teeth, that's who he is.

quote:

HAN
It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyvFEkJSE4

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Do you guys think George Lucas ever dropped acid? His friends all did.

I think like Alejandro Jodorowsky, George Lucas wanted his films to be the drugs.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

wyoming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmyvFEkJSE4

I might need to go back and rewatch the original trilogy, I never caught Alec Guinness's emoting in this scene and it's hilarious. Makes me wonder what other more things I never picked up on.

StopHangingDjs
Jan 9, 2013

21 Muns posted:

Really? I thought the opposite; that it spoke to how Pavlovian the audience had become to the standard Star Wars assets in that it's not a typical Star Wars film, so the audience wasn't getting what they expected, so they jumped to "I am Uncomfortable and this film is Bad" instead of trying to engage with it as its own film.

I disagree that Rogue One wasn't a typical Star Wars film. It felt pretty typical to me just without lightsabers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's a star wars movie with star, wars, and no early twenties obnoxious white boy that the universe revolves around, of course fans are going to hate it

the best part is that description applies to both tfa and rogue one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

wyoming posted:

Well, he probably exaggerated how fast he completed the Kessel Run but I fully expect the Young Solo movie to actually center around it or at least expand on it.

• Locked thread