Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah man, I just booted up KOTOR 2, having never played it before, and the first thought I had was 'none of this actually happened in Star Wars anymore' and I shut it down after two minutes.

I'm literal scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

Sure. What race was Dexter Jettster supposed to be stereotyping again?

The white man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what I'm talking about : "He's a bipedal Jabba. He has as much personality as required."

Zero enthusiasm. This will be nobody's favorite character.
I enjoyed him. He was very Hitchhikers Guide, which is a good thing. The little comment about how he makes up his prices on a day by day basis, his shouting after the Falcon. He was a lot of fun!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugh I loving love this movie but this thread/this internet has dragged down the whole experience so much. gently caress people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hat Thoughts posted:

What does this mean? That other opinions are bumming you out so much it has a negative effect on your life? That you have trouble maintaining your positive feelings about the movie in the midst of negative ones? Sorry, this sounds ruder then I intend. I just don't get it

It's the descending into pointless, bullshit arguments (not debates) over insignificant details between people who agree that they liked the film.

Like, calm down.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I used to work with a guy who likes fiction, but only when everything in the story could happen in real life. The second anything on screen/in a book isn't grounded in reality he stops caring. This includes all animation and special effects.

Otherwise he's great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress I wish that game was good. I was so invested in it until I played it.

It taught me never to buy MMOs or special editions on launch, ever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

If you're in a properly calibrated theater, the 3D conversion on TFA is pretty good. Inoffensive at its worst.

I hardly noticed to be honest. Which was nice, because I got to see it in IMAX and the only inconvenience was the slightly uncomfortable glasses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The robot bad men in the prequels are called CIS? That's... Odd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm just writing my opinion. About their opinion. You get me?

I think, if you think a film is bad because a character doesn't act badass enough, you are watching films wrong.

I could be misinterpreting 'Luke blows until the ending. Luke is still a goober'. But those viewpoints seem to go hand in hand. It's a weird way to read a film, to me.

I saw a family member for Christmas, who didn't like TFA because Kylo Ren wasn't a badass. I wanted to argue but this thread sucked the life out of me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

Similarly, Gollum looked much better in the first Hobbit movie than he ever did in the LOTR movies.

Difference is that Gollum still looks pretty drat great in TTT and RotK. In AUJ he looks more detailed and expressive, but a tiny bit more cartoony.

He was certainly the best effect in the new trilogy by a long way though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Motto posted:

The issue is that in the eyes of some, that turns TFA into a marketing move rather than a film, a feature-length ad for Disney's Star Wars.

If Disney's Star Wars stays at this level of quality and entertainment value, then... That's fine.

I'm way past the concept that the series can be kept pure and contained. That idea went out the window decades ago.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Could you elaborate on what "pure and contained" means?
Some people have the idea that Star Wars should be a single person's vision, untouched by soulless corporations or slapped together plots.

What I'm saying is that Disney running away with the franchise for the next 50 years is no different to what happened to the franchise in the 80s, 90s and 00s, except now everything will generally have a bigger budget and will probably be better, even if there are more toys and theme park rides now.

Nothing's changed for the bad.

Guy A. Person posted:

(And again I love that nobody thinks the Hulk or Iron Man need to be done as puppets, it's only Star Wars)
This is stupid. You're stupid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hbomberguy posted:

Lucas at least had the audacity to make six good films over the course of a long rear end time and then stop.

He made a trilogy, then allowed a bunch of EU material, then made another trilogy and introduced more, worse EU material (Clone Wars and such like). If he didn't sell up he'd probably have made another trilogy in another few years too. Just because Disney has the money to make their EU material in movie form rather than 1000 terrible books, terrible comics and terrible games, doesn't mean it'll automatically be worse.

And 4.5 good films at most.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm sick of hearing that CGI is ruining movies but it always being focused on certain movies while others get a pass.

Good counter argument though you simpleton.

It's not about giving certain films a pass. It's recognising which effects would potentially look better if they were done practically. The Hulk is a huge, fast man that constantly interacts with his environment. Doing him with purely practical effects would look awful.

Some effects are more appropriate for certain things. There's no reason they can't coexist. This movie did some things/creatures practically and some with CGI, and I thought they got the balance was pretty drat good. I'd be interesting in seeing what Maz would have looked like as a puppet but I'm not unhappy with what we got.

V I agree with this though.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 27, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

Also this comment is pretty funny in light of the fact that Lucas specifically designed his PT sets so that the CGI would be seamless with them. And it works, because everyone thinks that it's all CGI.
This is not a good thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

It's seamless CGI, seems like it should be the textbook definition of good.

It means that both the CGI and the physical sets stand out from the characters, who look like they're in a 90s FMV game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kaedusz of the SWTOR forums posted:

Just watched it. Immediately after that i went to youtube and watched the Sidious vs Yoda duel, some kotor 2 cutscenes, and my own video fraps files on the PC about the Sith Warrior storyline to ritually cleanse myself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PiedPiper posted:

Sounds decent, though RISE OF THE CLONES is a horrible name.

There has never been a Star Wars product with a good name.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PiedPiper posted:

Nah, I don't think so.

Have you ever seen a Marvel superhero movie? Or a DC superhero movie?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PiedPiper posted:

Well, not all of them, but sure, I have. I still don't get the point, though. Saying that the only reason some people have a problem with Rey is because she's a girl is pretty dishonest.

Point is that there are plenty of films and stories where men do amazing things with little buildup or explanation and no one gives a gently caress. Tony Stark is the most brilliant scientist on the planet and also an action hero because he's awesome. Commander Shepard singlehandedly saved the galaxy and brought the races of the world together because he's Commander Motherfucking Shepard. Liam Neeson can singlehandedly kill all of the brown people because he's a stone cold badass. Samuel L Jackson is Samuel L Jackson. Rey showed some abilities a bit earlier than Luke Skywalker did, burn the witch!

If there is a problem with Rey's characterisation, it's been blown way out of proportion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yaws posted:

This forum is so refreshing after spending the last 20 minutes reading the IMDB message boards for this movie. They loving hate it. Which is totally fine but they just regurgitate the same tired points over and over again.

I've never known IMDB to like something good. Every now and then I dip into the boards of a movie or a TV show that I'm interested in or enjoy and every time I regret it. Scumhole.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love that Lucas laments the fact that they didn't use his idea to make the film a family drama about the next generation when that's exactly what they did.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

I think you may be slightly missing his point. They included elements of family drama in the film, but the film itself is not a family drama. It's never really all that interested in what happened to make Kylo Ren the way he is. What exactly did Han and Leia do wrong? Why does their son hate them so much? I would think Han and Leia would have made pretty good parents after all the character growth they went through together in the OT. Adam Driver gives a good, Hayden Christensen-esque performance, but there's no real depth to the character, because we have pretty much absolutely zero idea where he's coming from. We're basically left to assume that he basically is Anakin Skywalker. So I guess Leia sent him away to train with Luke, and Kylo just couldn't handle being separated from his mother that way, and ends up blaming her, Luke, and Han for his emotional troubles?

There's got to be a bit more to it than that, but we don't know, because the movie doesn't seem all that interested in explaining anything--I guess because focus groups determined that explanations are terribly boring. I guess there's a connection between Rey's feelings of abandonment and Kylo's? Rey was abandoned by her parents, yet clings pathetically to hope; Kylo was not abandoned by his parents, yet for some reason believes he was? That could work, but I'm not sure any of that came across like it should have. And that normally wouldn't be a problem, given that this is only the first act of the story and there's more yet to learn. But the dude already stabbed his father to death. That moment has come and gone already. It would have had more of an impact if we'd seen more of Kylo's backstory, and had a better understanding of his relationship with Han. But it's too late for that now.

The thing is, J.J. had a mandate from Disney to hit the ground running. He had no time to deal with any of that boring family soap opera stuff. He had to get right to the juicy bits. Lucas probably would have taken his time carefully introducing all the characters and conflicts before ramping up the action to full throttle, but then Disney would have had another Phantom Menace on their hands, and they might have only made a billion dollars instead of a gajillion.

Maybe, but the film gave me a strong impression that his character will be explored a lot more in the next two instalments. I don't think we need to see and hear every detail (which I also don't believe would immediately amount to a more deep or nuanced character, since it sure as hell didn't with Anakin), but at the very least whatever went down between him, Luke and Snoke will be explored.

It's definitely too early to be throwing out the argument that characters are underdeveloped, especially if you're going to use the prequels as a favourable comparison.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fucker posted:

f Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the poo poo.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.
Thank you for this gift.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cnut the Great posted:

The whole conceit of ANH was that it was actually the middle chapter
Do you have a source for this that's from before 1977?

Cnut the Great posted:

And no, having one set-up film does not inevitably lead to an endless chain of set-up films. It leads to one set-up film, which is almost deceptively named, because even a set-up film will ideally have its own self-contained narrative arc, just as TPM does.
TFA is a set up film.

Does AOTC not require flashbacks (which the film doesn't even bother to give us) to show us the relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan as well as his training? No, the film jumps straight into the action and leaves us to assume the rest. All TPM sets up is how Anakin was found and how Obi Wan ended up training him. The important, interesting character development is left out.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 30, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kylo can't see 'force ghosts' because 'force ghosts' are simply memories. Kylo has never actually met Vader.

Ah HA! So you concede that Hayden Christensen's force ghost makes no sense. Bravo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can you go back to discussing whether Rey is a Mary Sue or whether Ren is threatening?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't get offended. You're just wrong.

If in a film a character reacts 'inappropriately' to their circumstances, the scene doesn't work? Who gets to decide what is appropriate?

Oh, I get it now. Dooku doesn't act like you would, and this is unthinkable. That he is an old, magic space alien from the distant past in a fictional allegorical fantasy story goes ignored.

You're really aggressive and rude to people who dislike poorly received prequel trilogies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Since when has anyone ever seriously used the content of a novelization to better understand a film? At best they're fanfic without the whole 'OC' thing.

Hbomberguy posted:

What exactly is aggressive about saying you think someone is wrong and explaining why you think this?

Policing how people are allowed to have a discussion is the opposite of contributing. What was wrong with what I said? Do you disagree?

Let's have a conversation.

Hbomberguy posted:

Oh, I get it now. Dooku doesn't act like you would, and this is unthinkable.
This is needless. And I don't really have an opinion about what you said.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Have you seen the PT on bluray? I got them recently and the CGI really pops and looks mostly good to great. The establishing shots in particular really stand out.

The environments look ok at times, but the Blu Rays seriously highlight how bad CGI objects and characters look in motion. Yoda, Dexter and the separatists in particular. Being 'of the time' isn't an excuse in the same year that The Two Towers came out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anakin was just in school, etc.
Oh man, seriously? This is the period in which Anakin learns to become a Jedi and actually has a friendship with Obi Wan. It's arguably more important than anything that happens in TPM.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

wyoak posted:

Yeah, what? He's pretty committed on Hoth and we're explicitly shown the reason he splits off and goes to Dagobah

You're under the mistaken impression that SMG has seen any of the Star Wars films.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So, all Luke can muster is... a failed suicide attempt.
This is just silly. There was no way that he could have expected to survive that fall. The guy literally killed himself rather than join Vader.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In Force Awakens, the Resistance only managed to save themselves - and the 'coolest' character is the antagonist.

But, more to the point: what makes the resistance 'good' besides being vaguely not-fascist?

They're movies, not friendship simulators.

Finn and BB-8 are the antagonists?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also the planet is collapsing. Fissures aren't uncommon in those circumstances.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe she's a distant offshoot of Clan Fisto. :shrug:

stev fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 31, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And he was a good friend.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The irony of 'going back to practical effects' is that they're supremely distracting. There's a shot where they make a big point of BB8 falling off a ledge and landing on Boyega, strongly underlining that the prop is heavy and the actor is really being smacked by it. It doesn't really work as a characterization, or as a comedy thing. It's just like "check out how real this is"! Which, of course, only serves to remind us that what we are seeing is an actor interacting with a prop.
Yeah giving the world and its inhabitants any weight or presence distracts from the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's the old joke where someone says 'act natural!' and then the characters go into an awkward, ridiculous performance of 'natural' behavior.

The very act of 'trying to be realistic' draws attention to itself.

Not as much as the act of trying to look unreal, as you so often tout as the one of the prequel's greatest strengths.

• Locked thread