Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

lelandjs posted:

So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

Probably trolling, but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost a limb. Happens to almost every Jedi it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Two-Face isn't dead! You can clearly see him breathing!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I want Zack Snyder to direct a Star Wars movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Just because he was overweight for a while doesn't mean he wasn't enjoying life and having a nice career. He just didn't have any reason to look his best because all his work was voice acting. Then all the sudden a compelling reason comes along to drop the weight and what do you know, he looks good again. Its just the way things work in Hollywood, most normal 60 year olds look a lot closer to 2010 Hamill than the current version.

Have you seen Penn Gillette lately?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I meant that most normal 60 years olds that aren't in show business look a lot closer to fat Hamill and fat Penn Gillette. Sorry I realize now that my sentence did not make that clear.

I understood what you meant. I was just showing another recent example of an old man actor who lost a ton of weight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For those who have seen it, does the movie do a good job 'handing off' the Star Wars story to the new cast similar to what Trek '09 did?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Time to watch the Clone Wars movie, then sleep, then head to the marathon!

You really do hate yourself.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Its not the stories from the EU that people care about, its that there was a handful of characters created for the EU that ended up being pretty beloved by some fans. Corran Horn, Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Solo twins, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Not many people even remember what happened in the Zahn trilogy but they still love Thrawn for some reason.

Well, jerked off to in the case of Mara Jade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sure character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

I'm the best pilot in the galaxy! And I'm secretly a Jedi! And I have this force power that is so rare!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MOFF CON 2015.

Christ I'd hate to see the cosplay.

"Man your Tarkin widow's peak is PERFECT!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Where is is stated Finn does not know what the Resistance is. They're the sworn enemy of the First Order. I imagine the topic would have come up somewhere in his brainwashing sessions.

edit: lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

This thread moves too fast. Anyway I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but,

Has anyone talked about the idea that Kylo Ren is the one that dropped Rey off on Jakku? When that trooper says a girl has joined the group he goes ballistic. I wonder if Rey was among the Jedi Academy that Ren shot up and maybe for some reason Rey as a little girl was special or Ren couldn't bring himself to kill her? He clearly knew who she was.

It's being discussed in the spoiler thread and it's a definite possibility.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Not educating stormtroopers enough to teach them every droid language isn't the same as keeping them in the dark about the existence of their enemy.

You must be intentionally misunderstanding at this point.

It's Effectronica. Being obtuse is his gimmick. Before long he'll start wishing death upon you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Episode 7 is a huge homage, reboot/remake (whatever word you want to use) of A New Hope. I sincerely doubt that a new take on one of the most memorable scenes of that movie was added in at the last minute.

The stuff about the base? Stuff was definitely cut. Remember in the first trailer when that hand gives someone Luke's lightsaber? That was Maz giving it to Leia. That scene was cut because they cut that entire idea of Maz going with Han and co. to the Resistance base. I know a few other things were cut but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I liked the ending shot, but different strokes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I kinda figured Han was exaggerating a bit there, meaning it in a "yeah she's been around forever" sort of way. But this is Star Wars so I guess everything should be taken literally. :v:

She talks about living through the time of the Sith and Empire. She also goes on about having been around forever and seeing the same eyes in different people. It's pretty clear she's 1,000 years old or whatever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's a Disney movie so won't it use their thing? I believe you can link that to iTunes or UV.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Raxivace posted:

All of you are morons...clearly the format that needs to come back is Video CD.

Nope. This is what I'm waiting for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Can someone GIF Rey force pulling the lightsaber and igniting it?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I bet you are one of those people who says turn off your brain you'll enjoy it while some lovely writer beats me over the head with bad dialogue and lovely pacing.

Even worse. He writes lovely clickbait articles.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I've probably seen A New Hope hundreds of times. I just realized 30 seconds ago that Greedo has a loving mohawk.

I feel like I just solved the Kennedy assassination or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Why does this exist?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

RIP Poe's bad-rear end X-Wing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

IronSaber posted:

Rest in peace, Black One. You were too awesome for this world.

I'm sure he'll get a new one with a slightly different paint job. That way Disney can sell TWO X-Wing toys this Christmas.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Why do these land speeder things look familiar? Have they shown up someplace before or were they a concept from Ralph McQuarrie or something? I swear I've seen them.

They look sorta like B-Wings too. But you're right in that they're probably from some old concept art.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, so I'm gonna be the guy who thinks Luke's "its time to end the jedi" line is being intentionally being taken out of context, and that he won't actually be trying to end the jedi. Like he might be answering what Snoke is trying to do or some poo poo like that

It's probably something more along the lines that the Jedi need to take on a different role in the galaxy. Their poo poo didn't work for 1000 generations or whatever so something has to change. You're nuts if you think Disney is going to make sequels without lightsaber wielding space wizards.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It was really weird and I have no idea what happened. Carrie Fisher always looked great in interviews and other public appearances. I don't know why they made her look and sound so loving weird in TFA.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I'm watching Rogue One again, and I just realized something really really weird. How the hell did C-3P0 and R2D2 get on the Tantive IV?

According to what saw in an excerpt from the novelization, the Tantive IV was docked with the Mon Cal ship the entire journey from Yavin to Scarif. In the movie, we are explicitly shown the two droids still on Yavin after the Mon Cal ship departed for Scarif. So when did they get on board?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah the dude said Raddus returned to his ship. So he went to his ship, waited for everyone to get on board the Tantive IV, waited for that to dock, and then left to participate in a key battle. Nevermind the fact that the Tantive IV really should have been long gone on its way to Tatooine.

Christ none of this makes any logical sense whatsoever. I get they wanted this movie to dovetail into ANH but they should have put some goddamn effort into it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sassassin posted:

I think I see the problem

I was looking for anything to help make sense of it. The other possibility is that the Mon Cal ship left, then the Tantive IV left. At some point they met up. That doesn't make any sense either because why would the Mon Cal ship delay its arrival at Scarif, and why would it stop to let a non-combat ship hitch a ride into a fight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

HAT FETISH posted:

Someone with more time and poo poo-giving capabilities than me needs to write a compare-and-contrast between audience responses to the star wars prequels and the odd-numbered star treks

The TOS odd-Treks at least have the on screen chemistry of Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley. No one in the prequels have any sort of chemistry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AP reports that Carrie Fisher had cocaine, heroin, and ecstasy in her system when she got ill on her flight. :stare:

• Locked thread