Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It needs to be April already so I can watch this movie every single day. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The sequel trilogy is about characters coming to terms with their homosexuality, the other stuff is just a backdrop to that. You all are really reading into the wrong things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Her official title and name according to LucasFilms is Princess Leia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

The Internet is currently getting all pissy that Miles Teller hadn't seen Star Wars until he auditioned for young Han Solo. Why do people insist that actors be fans of the franchises they're acting in?

I would rather have someone who either didn't care about Star Wars or never saw it at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's especially funny, because it's like, do you think Harrison Ford gave a gently caress for two seconds?

About his role as Han Solo in A New Hope? He didn't even audition for it, he was originally apart of the crew helping with picking out auditions. George Lucas was so impressed with his help though that he offered the role of Han Solo to Ford. As far as actually playing as Han Solo, I think he took it very seriously. Ford is a really laid back guy, but he still takes his job seriously cause he is a professional. He is just really good at playing chill characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, Ford is pretty casual, but you can certainly tell the difference between "this is a fun movie, I'm having a good time" Ford and "this is a paycheck, here's the synopsis of the movie Interview Man" Ford.

This is very true, that is a good point. Case in point, Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls, Ford is the latter. The Force Awakens, Ford is the former.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

This situation isn't worth getting mad about, and the fact that people are getting mad about it is also not worth getting mad about.

We don't even know that Miles Teller was accepted as young Han Solo anyways. He walked out of the audition and then was interviewed by an online blog.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If he gets the role then maybe he will see the movies? This is such a weird discussion to have over a harmless comment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wyoming posted:

Star Wars are movies for nerds.

Is it? None of my friends who love Star Wars are nerds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wank posted:

"Your Taunton will freeze before the first marker!"

Shut the gently caress up arsehole. How about presenting solutions instead of problems? Did you come from the rebel grad program? Or another ex-imperial? This loving generation. Man, I gotta go back to freelancing.

Speaking of, what was Luke always talking about when he said he wanted to join the academy. What was this academy he was speaking of? I doubt you needed to submit an application to join the rebel alliance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Imperial Academy. He was going to be, I assume, a TIE Fighter pilot. But (at least according to a deleted scene), the plan was to use that as a jumping off point for deserting and joining the Rebel Alliance, like Biggs did.

That never connected with me even if it makes perfect sense. Just the thought of Luke in the Imperial Academy... :stare: What if Darth Vader picked up on him? Although the Academy is probably far away from where Vader would be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

It's cute watching how you treat this movie compared to the prequels.

TFA does literally everything that makes SMG masturbate over films, and got all of the things he considered good about the prequels, and yet somehow none of that is good enough for this movie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

JJ's style of editing in this film is literally "blink and you'll miss it".

Those are long blinks, dude.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Easy to follow, sure, but not at all memorable.

This is subjective. I don't think the whole movie was memorable but it was really close.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am sure we all have scenes that we wish the camera dwelled on a few seconds longer, but this is really a matter of personal preference and is not that important to the overall movie. Too many people in this thread are throwing around matter of fact statements and not understanding that they are not facts at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

I can't believe how sick this looks relative to how relevant it actually was to anything going on.

How was it not relevant? Finn warned vaguely that there is a lot at stake with the threat from the First Order, then we finally get to see what that threat actually is, what the characters have to lose if they fail. This sequence builds up a lot of tension and is really well done.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love the production values on the catina scene, all of those aliens are real; either people in costumes or puppets.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Galactic politics and fleet numbers had pretty much nothing to do with the personal dramas that drove the movie and we don't really get to see what the Republic stands for or whatever. I'm pretty sure there's even an Abrams quote floating around that's like "yeah the actual space battle stuff was pretty secondary to Rey's duel".

Why do we need that stuff? The movie was about BB-8, Rey, and Finn and what is at stake for them if the First Order wins. Showing the destruction of the Republic still directly effects them and shows the magnitude of what they are up against. I'm glad nothing about the Republic was shown, it would have served no purpose.

There is obviously a lot going on in the background while these characters are doing their thing. We don't see it and that is fine. People are getting hung up on wanting to see that stuff and thinking that somehow makes a weaker movie, but it doesn't at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

It doesn't really matter that the Republic was destroyed when none of our characters have anything to do with the Republic. It wasn't even the case that like, the planet that Rey's family had moved to was in the crosshairs for the second time starkiller base was charging up or something.

I'm not even on board with your use of "up against" here, because it's not like Rey and Finn are celestial bodies. The magnitude of the Death Star But Loud is basically irrelevant to their interests.

Why is it not relevant? Rey was kidnapped and taken to Starkiller base, Finn realizes he has no where to run and has to stop that base, and BB-8 wants to help protect the resistance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Its cataclysmic powers of insane epic solar system destruction are not relevant. It's just a place they happen to have to go to. Hence my initial complaint about the disconnect between the awesome obliterating force of the star killer's primary weapon system, and the almost total irrelevance of that awesome obliterating force to anything our characters do.

That complaint doesn't make any sense.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

The least important or compelling element of the new Star Wars, the most extraneous element of its plot, and therefore the biggest waste of screentime, was the actual star war.

Everyone the characters know will die if the Starkiller base is not destroyed, that is incredibly relevant.

Cnut the Great posted:

The hard part is doing the work to show what exactly the tragedy means to the characters, on a personal level.

That was shown though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

The problem people have with this the core choice of not having the main characters follow the Republic when the other 6 movies had the heroes fighting for the Republic. We also don't see what the nature or threat of the First order is when all we know is that they have a Death Star and Kylo's Star Destroyer. It's a worldbuilding shortage. Someone else mentioned how there's no "dissolved the Imperial Senate" scene and I agree taht it needed one.

Again, this is really all coming down to personal preference. What you personally would have liked to have seen. What we actually got was still really well done and shown.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

That would have happened regardless of where they took Rey.

But they took Rey to Starkiller base, therefore the relevance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

There's more to a Star Wars Movie than the basic plot and it's accompanying visuals. They are part of a larger whole, and even if TFA was a good standalone movie it didn't have the sense of scale and intrigue that made the Star Wars setting more resonant than, say, the Starchaser setting.

Have to agree to disagree then. I thought the sense of scale was perfect. I know there is more to a Star Wars movie than the basic plot, that is true of any movie and that is what I am pointing out that everyone else is missing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

How? You said it yourself. The only reason the characters fear Starkiller Base is because it's a big scary weapon that can kill them and their friends. They're afraid because they might die. That's all. That's very shallow. There are no larger stakes, because the characters don't care about anything larger than themselves and their immediate circle of friends. Why do they care about the destruction of Hosnian Prime specifically, as opposed to any other random planet? Are we given any indication that any of the characters care about the Republic, or even democracy in general? What does Starkiller Base mean to them, other than "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger, danger!"

In your mind, was that the only reason the original Death Star was scary? Because it killed people? The original Death Star was scary because it blew up Alderaan, which actually meant something to the characters. It was Princess Leia's home. It was the intended end point of Luke and Ben's Jedi quest. It represented something tangible to the characters in the movie. When it suddenly disappears, it rips a hole in the plot like an open wound; it literally leaves the characters with nowhere to go, except to be sucked up by the Death Star. It's an actual loss, diegetically and exegetically.

Did you miss the part where the Starkiller base was going to destroy the planet the resistance was stationed on? At that point it was the only place for the characters to go. A fight or die scenario doesn't seem very shallow to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elfgames posted:

what? there are number of planets - (honian system+alderaan) that they could go to to escape the destruction. they had to go to starkiller base to "save" rey and to
(sort of) end the movie with a death star explosion.

No? It had already been established that there was really no where they could have ran. Wherever they went, the First Order would have tracked them down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

I asked you specifically what Hosnian Prime means to them. Why is the destruction of Hosnian Prime meaningful to the characters?

As to your point, the Resistance itself doesn't mean anything to the characters. That's what I've been saying. That's actually not the only place the characters could have gone. As evidenced by the fact that all the main characters immediately leave to go to Starkiller Base--not because the Resistance is oh-so-meaningful to them and must be defended at all costs, but because they want to rescue Rey. If Rey had been carted off some other planet, would Finn still have gone to Starkiller Base? No, because Finn isn't motivated by his belief in the values of the Resistance. He's motivated by his concern for Rey.

A fight or die scenario is, in fact, an incredibly shallow thing. It's the most basic kind of conflict that could possibly exist. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Fight or die scenarios work very well as the basis for simple action films. But Star Wars has always striven for something a little bit more meaningful than that. In previous Star Wars films, the characters fought for beliefs, not just for survival.

Okay, but Finn isn't the only one that goes to the base. Han Solo and Chewbacca go to bring down the shield so the resistance could get in, the part about bringing Kylo back home was something Han and Leia worked out together, he had multiple objectives. Why would the resistance mean nothing to Han Solo? His wife (ex?) lead that thing. Each character had different reasons for being there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elfgames posted:

bullshit do you know how big a galaxy is? that's why they needed the map info, they knew nothing about the area luke was in.

Luke just happened to be the only person good at hiding. He is the only Jedi left in the galaxy who has been shamed by his gay nephew, it was easy for him to find a good hiding spot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

No, Han Solo doesn't really care about any of that. Not at first. Then he suddenly does, for some reason.

Han Solo is also not the main--or even second-to-main--character of the film. Are you basically conceding that the Resistance doesn't mean anything to Rey and Finn? So the protagonist and deuteragonist of the film don't actually give a poo poo about the central conflict around which the entire film's story revolves--but at least Han Solo does, kind of, eventually.

There can be more then one main character. Han Solo was in four movies, how was he not central to the plot? Rey and Finn do care about the central conflict, but they have other matters that they care about too, and that does not in anyway lessen the plot of the movie. Maybe it does for you, but that's your own problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

and it is a problem that she has no reason to care about anything that's going on

Only to you. You're not understanding that Starkiller base doesn't need to physically go up to Rey and punch her in the left tit in order for there to be a conflict. Her attempt at escape is enough. None of the characters need to directly point at the camera and say that they care about a thing, it's not important that every single little detail is spelled out and given a purpose as it relates to the characters. You said there should be a bigger purpose outside of what the characters motivations are, and there absolutely is throughout the entire movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

She would have attempted to escape from any kind of imprisonment. Starkiller base is not special in that regard.

It doesn't matter if it's special or not, it's what is there and it's central to the plot happening in the movie. Whether or not it is central to some or all of the characters doesn't matter.

Toilet Mouth posted:

Rey, Finn, and Han's story doesn't unfold any differently if Kylo Ren is just holding her in his garage instead of the Starkiller Base.

But she didn't escape from a garage, she escaped from a solar system destroying super weapon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rey believes the only friend she ever had just died, and now she is alone in a warehouse being chased by doom monsters. She has a brief look of mild concern.

She doesn't believe Finn dies. We hear his voice echo through the corridors of the ship and Rey is using that to get an idea of which direction he might have been carried off to. It's a very intense sequence because we actually see Rey in a state of panic, she knows she has to quickly find him and find a way to free him or he is going to die.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The sequence is about how things are not horrific because they are being treated as a videogame.

This is not how it happened at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rey's main concern is that FN might leave her, and that this will make her feel lonely.

Which is why she is desperately trying to find a way to save his life, she stops so she can listen to where his screams are coming from. This sequence was so obvious, I don't get how you are reading it the way you are.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I enjoyed Star Wars Seven overall but that monster scene on Han's ship really did not work for me.

Honestly I didn't like it either, but for purely personal reasons. The sequence still worked really well. I am glad it was over quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

so, i don't feel like reading this thread, but, has it been accepted yet that this movie is actually pretty good or do the "cd goons" still hate it?

This movie is really amazing. I love it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

turtlecrunch posted:

You guys didn't even link the teaser teaser :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaYv3Y8tyoQ

Revealed too much of the movie, no interest in seeing it now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first trailer looked fantastic. I am really excited to see this movie. The direction LucasFilms is taking the new era of Star Wars is really great so far. The Force Awakens is unquestionably an amazing film and so because of that, at least right now, I have a lot of faith in this side story.

thrawn527 posted:

You have to remember what the Rebellion looked like during the time of A New Hope. Outside of Tatooine, there weren't a lot of aliens in ANH. When we met the Rebellion, it was largely (to borrow a phrase from a different franchise) a homo-sapiens only club. It wasn't really until Return of the Jedi that we started seeing aliens as members (outside of Chewie in Empire).

What the "in-universe" reasons for that might be, I don't know. But if you're depicting the Rebellion at the time of the Battle of Yavin, showing a bunch of aliens would have us believe that, in A New Hope, they were, I don't know, all in another room or something.

Before the EU no longer became canon, the Empire was committing mass genocide, wiping out alien races and wanted a human only Empire.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ammanas posted:

Yeah but it's getting a bit heavy-handed.

No it's not. It literally doesn't matter. People are making this up in their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Rey is a strong female, but not a strong character. Hopefully they will manage a strong female character this time around.

Nah, this is wrong. She is a very strong character who we are still learning more about because its a three part story so it isn't done yet.

• Locked thread