Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The experimental poo poo will come from the one-shot movies. They're gonna play it real close to the vest with the numbered series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jewel Repetition posted:

Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for VII?

"We're rich bitch" - JJ Abrams, Disney

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there a POV shot from the mouth of the Sarlacc?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Frackie Robinson posted:

The prequels were all about telling the fans that they really need to grow up, get laid, and set childish things aside, so I imagine the new ones will be, "no, it's still okay to like Star Wars, you're not a man-child, this is all as cool as you remember"

"The Force, it's calling you. Just let it in."

Actually the two people who stop being childish and grow up (Anakin, Jar Jar) ruin the galaxy, so, I dunno.

If it advocates anything about lifestyle it's a balance of logic and emotion and that too much of one is dangerous.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bongo Bill posted:

Doing acrobatic flip jumps all the time while fighting looks cool, sorry prequel haters.

Nah but Darth Maul was rad.

He was the perfect middle ground between boring rear end Dooku and going way too far with Grievous' helicopter arms.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bongo Bill posted:

Qui-Gon acts wise but speaks foolish. He parrots Jedi Order dogma but trusts his instincts and hears the will of the Force. He does his job, but when the situation goes off the rails, he starts doing the right thing instead. Keep this in mind.

But he's the only one who truly understands the Force because he's the first who is The Force brings back as a ghost. He goes to Force heaven and tells Yoda and Obi-Wan how things really should be. He's Jedi Colton Burpo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is the basis of Star Wars merchandising to begin with.

Baby me owned an action figure of the conehead Jedi. I don't remember a loving thing we're told about him in the actual movies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cat Machine posted:

That's because you aren't told anything about him

Yeah exactly. Star Wars has always been pretty smart with their marketing of every character ever. A kid who plays with action figures can buy the entire Cantina cast and do whatever their imagination allows because they are blank slates. And hypernerds can get every minute detail of their "canon" backstories from terrible novels.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Like that is the entire concept behind Boba Fett. What does he even "do" other than have a badass toy?

Have a scene with true badasses Bossk, Dengar and IG88.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everyone wanted to be in the prequels including William Shakespeare.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Big K of Justice posted:

My favorite was the random dude from empire running around in the background with an ice cream maker.

They gave him a big backstory and made him an unknown hero for escaping with Cloud City's ice cream maker Computer Core before the Imperials could retrieve it.

This loving rules.

also: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Elan_Sel%27Sabagno I love that they had to change his Lucas-given name for dumb EU stuff because it was just one step too far.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 15, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I played as Plo Koon and Adi Gallia the most in Jedi Power Battles.

For some reason I can't remember most of the guys from Episode 1 Pod Racer though.

e: Also, Kit Fisto forever and ever. A hundred years Kit Fisto.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dabbled down the fan edits rabbit hole and every one of them is universally terrible except one called the Blackened Mantle. It replaces the entire audio track with the Japanese one and uses subtitles to entirely re-write the dialogue. While it is not fantastic by any stretch it gets points for being ambitious and having the tone/pacing/editing of a samurai film and not just because of the language. The editor was clearly inspired by them in a way similar to Lucas with the old serials.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

Any fan cut that chops up the score is tossed aside out of hand due to not understanding film.

I don't think it would be possible to work around this? Remember these brave chroniclers of the true Star Wars vision of the fans are working with what they've got, after all.

e: I want someone to re-edit the prequels into making Jar Jar the most important character.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Wasn't Wolfman removed completely? rip wolfman you had nards

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Let's take this moment to remember the best of Cantina times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXKySxPFCI

Also of course Bea Arthur has a ridiculous elaborate EU backstory. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ackmena

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It is the best one and a whole trilogy of films of that quality would be remembered much more fondly.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

jivjov posted:

Proops is amazing in that sequence.

Proops rules, sleepy Jabba rules, Sebulba rules. Pod race is great except there's very little drama. It's just a fun visual theme park ride.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BigglesSWE posted:

Anyone saw the cinemasins video on IV? Kevin Smith made a guest-appearance and he totally killed the video. As in "totally demolished the fast pace and the good jokes with long tirades of unfunny sexual innuendos".

gently caress CinemaSins, gently caress Kevin Smith. Hth

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I remember plenty from that movie. I don't have any particular grudge against JJ Abrams.

Same. Super 8 is an absolute blast.

I also love his Mission Impossible.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The rear end Stooge posted:

I heard that there's a scene where Luke Skywalker's head gets cut off and his body staggers around spraying blood out of its neck stump and some of it gets in Leia's mouth and she throws up and that makes everyone else throw up and they're all just slumping around vomiting while Luke's body twitches on the floor and then Rey shits herself. Anyway this movie sounds awesome.

You're mixing this up with Hateful 8.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's gonna be the big complaint. We already know it's a soft reboot and nerds are gonna want movie EU.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bongo Bill posted:

The EU is extinct. Its fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that remains of that religion.

From my point of view, the EU is evil.

Every story about a miscellaneous background character with no lines was a youngling.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Don't worry guys, the Onion is covering this thread for us.

It's also worth noting that the redundancy of a soft reboot (in some ways, ala, Star Trek 09), might be a valid complaint. But even if it is, it will be argued not with reason but either with EU fervor or the "It's like poetry" clip from youtube.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 16, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only EU characters I care remotely about are Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar and only when i'm pew-pewing Stormtroopers with them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Internet 1.0 baby. No Myspace, just Livejournal and AOL chat rooms.

AIM away messages were pretty much proto Facebook statuses but with more passive aggression and Blink182 lyrics.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I remember reading a Phantom Menace review from an email newsletter I was subscribed to. Holy poo poo it's all rushing back to me.

I definitely downloaded the Attack of the Clones trailer from Kazaa.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

vegetables posted:

I doubt I'm the first person to suggest it in the thread, but I expect this to happen in Episode VIII:

REY: I know who you are! You're my father!

LUKE: No, Rey. I killed your father.

REY: That's not true! That's impossible!

Needs to be more self-referential and tongue in cheek.

LUKE: Rey, I'm your-

REY: I know.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zoran posted:

As with Darth Vader, many people approach the prequels with the idea that Yoda should be the same as he was in the later movies. Instead, we have a Yoda who uses his mundane sword and is always trying to look to the future.

This characterization of Yoda is actually great because it lends significance to his lines in ESB, where he's chastising Luke for always looking to the horizon when he should be focusing on what's right in front of him. It shows us, in retrospect, that Yoda has learned an important lesson from his failure.

This is absolutely correct and I wish they would have shown it in a way that didn't involve him turning into Batman Arkham City.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

quote:

flaws

Oh cool I'm glad CinemaSins showed up to the thread.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 17, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Phasma is very obviously the new Boba Fett.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. And yes, I did laugh at that scene since it had two stormtroopers trundling over to the Shocked Hero and put him down with a punch and a kick.

Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened. "Laser blast? Pfft, I got poo poo to do."

Except that happens later?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MisterBibs posted:

When? He certainly reacts to getting the bowcaster bolt to him. I laughed at that too.

Yes. He reacts by flinching to a gutshot from a gun that was shown to launch people wearing armor and then go on to fight.

I'm sorry to break this to you, but you might be bad at watching movies.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Guys, remember when Leia poo poo talked Vader to his face and then he ended the movie spinning upside down looking all confused? Haha, what a dork.

turtlecrunch posted:

What I found threatening was the close-ups of Chewie's fingers.

Holy poo poo I had the same reaction to wookie digits.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Linguica posted:

Have none of you ever punched a muscle cramp or similar thing to try and make it go away? Sometimes after a long run I would whack on my hip flexors to try and get them to loosen up. I assumed it was meant as that sort of thing.

Yeah it's a combo of this and like when football players are whacking themselves on the helmet pregame to hype up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Absent fathers are kind of a thing in Star Wars.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

And it still hasn't opened in China.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nah he's right. The battle droids rule. Roger roger.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah it's not Hoth. Ozzel bites it cause he comes out of hyperspace on the trip there too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PostNouveau posted:

Fun thing I learned on the Cracked Photoshop contest today, the most credible possible source:

The original cut of Star Wars had Luke taking two full Death Star trench runs. Han Solo scares off Vader 45 minutes before the explosion. I'd always heard Lucas' wife saved that film in editing, but Jesus.

The original script DID have Luke take two shots but I dunno about a full 45 minutes between.

• Locked thread