Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile.

I have the ultimate, canon, solution:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kylo Ren's rageouts vaguely reminded me of Charles Foster Kane trashing the room. I feel bad for Chewie. Having to watch his best friend killed by his son, practically Chewie's nephew, and then having to shoot him. :ohdear:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That effect was really cool looking btw, with how it vibrated and shifted instead of just being held still.

I also enjoyed how Chewie let out a howl of grief then went 'gently caress this' and triggered the bombs.

The editing was really quick in that scene. We momentarily thought Chewie died in the blast. Were relieved when we saw him later.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Am I the first person to notice Maz Kanata's name is a play on Mas Que Nada?. I thought it was a coincidence until the bossa nova playing at her place.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mr.capps posted:

I liked Hux. I want to mention that I like Hux because while Kylo Ren is getting a lot of deserved love, I feel like Hux was cool and I look forward to seeing more Hux.

Hux was cool. Loved his Triumph of the Will speech. He threw in some Hitler pounds for good measure. Another nice detail was how the First Order administrator's hats resembled Kylo Ren's bat-like ship.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I feel like they didn't do enough with him to really have an opinion but I like Domnhall Gleeson and think he's set up to be a potentially cool character. It would be nice to see more internal fighting between the Sith bros and the military officer bros than the kind of weak suggested way it was in ANH where the Sith bros clearly ran the show.

I feel like he did more than Tarkin did in ANH. He reeled in Kylo Ren like Tarkin did, but also got to see him interact with Snoke, to which we never got Tarkin sending any reports to the Emperor.And I noted a few posts above (this thread moves fast), he got his big Nazi speech.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology though, or are they just borrowing Triumph Of The Will imagery to make them look bad?

Because, you know, the end of A New Hope.

I feel like the First Order is if Neo Nazis actually gained some semblance of organization and legitimacy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just realized a neat contrast between Rey and Finn. Finn was forcibly abducted as a small child and Rey was abandoned.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't think that's supposed to be a contrast as much as a parallel.

Parallel was the word I wanted to say but couldn't remember.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seventeen years pass between Episodes 3 and 4. Revenge of the Sith came out ten years ago.

Seven years until Ewan MacGregor turns into Alec Guinness.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phylodox posted:

He was a cackling villain in Return of the Jedi, about as extravagantly evil as you can get, but it straddled the line between space-opera and soap-opera nicely. His performance in Revenge of the Sith felt like a much less assured, experienced actor's parody of that character.

Sheev had to spend decades in the Sith closet. All that over the top cackling was basically him having a coming out party. He played it perfectly in Revenge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love silly names like "Snoke" or "Sheev" or "Insanius."

Now poo poo like "Mara Jade" is a fanfiction turd name.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Back to namechat, I just want to point out that in the old thread, I made a sincere joke that since a lot of background characters' names aren't spoken in the movies and are revealed on their toys they should name a character "Toy" and them someone pointed out to me that there was a pod racer named Toy back in Phantom Menace.

Point being, Snoke is rather clever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ungulateman posted:

For context, this is two droids talking to each other in private, early on in A New Hope, which starts off (after the initial chase sequence) with ~15 minutes of two droids talking to each other in private.

Return of the Jedi features a droid torture chamber. Droids feel pain. The Clone Wars also has too many instances of R2 freaking out after witnessing other droids get abused.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind little Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace. Of all the bad acting in that film his wasn't the most offensive. He was just a cute little kid given bad lines in a children's movie marketed towards adults.

It's kind of insane that after playing goddamn baby Darth Vader he goes and gets picked on at school. He should have been the coolest kid on the playground.

Kids are really lovely people.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll occasionally get visions of the future, but they're not psychics. When Anakin jumps out his car in the sky, he trusts in faith that the force will provide him a way to not die.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

It's not dead and buried, it just references newer movies

Because ur old

TFA references movies such as:

Edit: Beaten.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm usually good at trainspotting references,

Ewan MacGregor had a voice cameo. :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Plus, I always loved how you could see the designs evolve into their OT versions. Hell, even the hairstyles started to turn all 1970s by RotS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaws posted:

I support Tezzor. I think he's showing more insight

Let's not forget such insightful quotes such as

Tezzor posted:

aaaah i'm vomiting from every hole and there's blood in it now

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

homullus posted:

The scene in ROTS where he tells Anakin he's the bad guy is comedy gold. When he confesses he knows the dark side, he lets his mouth hang open in half-pretend surprise at his own admission. It is excellent. He then at least has the sense to be a little nervous when Anakin fully realizes what he's saying. It's an excellent scene and is arguably the point where Anakin has just lost, even though his heel turn comes in the next time they meet.

But no, I don't think anybody else but Dooku knows Palpatine = Sidious. You can tell Dooku knows because he looks at Palpatine, shocked and a little pleading, right before he gets killed.

I think Darth Maul was also in on it. Not that Phantom Menace had anything to imply it, but in Clone Wars, Maul expresses sadness that the Clone Wars began without him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I assumed it was coming out in December anyway. I'm pretty sure Disney will have enough money to rename the month StarWarcember by 2020.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Here's hoping. They better be writing a Poe Dameron "Top Gun" movie right now too.

They'd have to write a jizz cover of Danger Zone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I was never a fan of the Jar Jar character in the PT, but he has made me LOL several times in the Clone Wars cartoon. This one episode in particular, called "Bombad Jedi", I was surprised at how genuinely funny they made him.

Each season has a low point, but they were never Jar Jar episodes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's Always Sunny in Tatooine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The title of the movie is The Phantom Menace. Maul was always meant to purely be just a distraction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Vader/Anakin didn't have any agency of their own. As SMG asserts, the force made them do everything.

SMG asserts that Vader is the force

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

The dialog throughout the prequels lacks texture. To the extent that characters (excepting those with contrived affectations like Yoda) have distinctive voices, it clearly originates in the acting rather than the script. Far less characterization than could have been is delivered by this vector; many lines add little more than plot context to the emotional situation that is already plainly evident. Although the phrasing is strong and clear, it's largely graceless statements of fact. Scenes of types that are traditionally carried by dialog lack tension as a result. For example, the scene on Kamino where Obi-Wan confronts Jango badly wants to be filled with verbal sparring, double entendres, a show of wit; but instead some characters who are clearly not fooling each other tell a few perfunctory lies. You might say that the dialog reveals too much about what the characters think and feel.

George Lucas should have asked Quentin Tarantino to guest direct the scene where Obi-Wan confronts Jango on Kamino.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember a scene where Ahsoka beheads a group of Death Watch who had formed a circle around her.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Ventress sure does like sticking things in guys I tell you what
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GrandioseDisgustingIndigobunting.webm

Street Fighter V Ultras are looking pretty sweet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, let's talk about TFA. And anime.

I've been wanting to get into Gundam, but doing that these days isn't easy. Last year, I binged through Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's just about the greatest space opera I have ever seen. A true epic. Neither side is particularly portrayed as good or evil. The status quo changes constantly and no character is immune from death. There are 110 episodes, but there's no filler. And it has a really cool take on the Death Star.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Legend of the Galactic Heroes never got an official US release, but the entire thing has an excellent fansub and it's on Youtube. The link in my post above has them all on a playlist. There's a prequel movie called "My Conquest is The Sea of Stars," that seems to have been removed from youtube, but it's not a necessary watch. And there was another movie that remade the first three episodes in better animation, but I can't seem to find that either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

There are bits of LoGH where it gets really close to feeling like the tie fighter anime people want.

If you like history or space operas than yeah LoGH is a must watch.

This guy knows what's up.

Yeah, it gets close to that. There's lots of badass scenes of people jumping out of their fighter ships into enemy ships and hacking them up with axes and swords. The casualties in even the smallest space battles are in the millions. The violence is brutal too. People gathering up their intestines while crying out for their mommies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hurry up, Qui Gon!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do like how in the Undercover Boss Starkiller Base SNL sketch, the officer's chest badge thing was just a sheet of lozenges.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Is there a non-phallic way to kill somebody in Star Wars? They should have just had her fight that pit from Return of the Jedi.

Choke someone.

No... wait...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red posted:

Protocol droids are all kind of the same.

Anakin chose to build 3PO. He could've picked tons of other things, but chose a shiny butler.

Pictured: A shiny butler.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red posted:

Pretty sure the picture on the kit looks like

Edit: When he meets R2, he even gets embarrassed when he realizes he's 'naked'.

Show me C-3PO's kit box and Anakin's Radio Shack reciept.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A red lightsaber wouldn't have stuck out from the lava backdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rebels is fun, but it doesn't have the same bite that TCW did.

• Locked thread