Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
We're a municipality using outsourced IIS hosting for our website. Last week, our server went down for some reason (can't get an answer from the host) and after that, I can't upload any documents to the site via scripting.

What is supposed to happen is that I receive a meeting agenda in PDF. I go into our control panel, and select the meeting that the PDF corresponds to. I select the document upload button and a pop-up appears asking for the document location. I browse to the file and click "upload." At this point, the document should upload to the site and a database entry is made tying that document to the meeting record.

Unfortunately, it appears that the upload portion of the process is no longer working - all I get back is a message stating "No file uploaded" and nothing is written to the database. Judging by the way the script (upload.asp) is written, if the document upload fails, there will be no database modification, so I have to assume that the file upload is the part that is failing. The process worked with no issues before the recent downtime, so that had to be the root cause of the current issue.

We've had repeated downtime with our hosting, and all I can think of is that someone on the hosting end made some mods and broke our site in the process. Is there any setting in IIS that can be modified to disallow file uploads from scripts? I know that a couple years back, we had an issue with file uploads over a certain size, and that there was an IIS setting that was to blame for that.

I'm not 100% sure what server version they are running, but I would wager either 2008 or 2012. Both FTP and manual database modification through SQL Server Manager are working, so whatever the problem is, it is unrelated to those applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

There are probably many things that could be wrong but file system permissions come to mind for me. I have seen similar issues when trying to upload stuff to wordpress sites on IIS due to the account used by IIS not having write access to the proper location on the disk.

But why are you using a web interface to upload stuff to your web site? FTPS or SFTP are both much better ways to upload things to web servers. It sounds to me like you need to get a less lovely web host.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Antillie posted:

There are probably many things that could be wrong but file system permissions come to mind for me. I have seen similar issues when trying to upload stuff to wordpress sites on IIS due to the account used by IIS not having write access to the proper location on the disk.

But why are you using a web interface to upload stuff to your web site? FTPS or SFTP are both much better ways to upload things to web servers. It sounds to me like you need to get a less lovely web host.

It's a little more complicated that uploading files: It's a control panel interface where I pull up a meeting and add agendas and/or minutes to that meeting, so there is also a database update that occurs at the same time. I can do it via FTP, but that requires me to upload the documents and then manually update the database so the documentation shows up. If I was just doing a file upload, I would just use an FTP client.

Permissions seem to be good - I'm limited to what I can see due to it being an IIS server, but permissions look good. I'm thinking there is something in the webconfig file (or whatever it is that Windows uses) that got switched or corrupted. Unfortunately, the host was sold last year, and support is apparently in India now and is slow as poo poo and apparently lacking braincells as well, since they asked for clarifying information that I had provided with my original ticket.

As for getting another host, I work for a local government, so things move at the speed of, well, local government. Getting a new host requires an act of God.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Could your problem be related to this?

https://forums.iis.net/p/1229356/2114000.aspx?Re+Windows+Update+breaks+multipart+form+data

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hot drat, that might be it - thanks for this! I'll send an email to the host and see what they say.

• Locked thread