Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MGSV, Bloodborne, Scholar of the First Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Monster Hunter 4, just to name a few of the excellent titles out htis year

now that its the holiday season lets reflect on a great year and hope enxt year turns out just as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My top ones of the year are Super Mario Maker and uhh I guess MGS5. I dunno. In retrospect, and don't get me wrong I like the game a lot but it's just not as great as it could have possibly lived up to.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

2015, the Year of Undertale.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the year cloud was in smash bros

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MGSV was my favorite released this year I think but Im pretty sure I would have liked Bloodborne more if I had played it. BioShock Infinite came out for Linux earlier this year and that was p. dope... and the Steven Universe iOS game was definitely a hidden gem, no pun intended.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

MGSV was my favorite released this year I think but Im pretty sure I would have liked Bloodborne more if I had played it. BioShock Infinite came out for Linux earlier this year and that was p. dope... and the Steven Universe iOS game was definitely a hidden gem, no pun intended.

lmao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
God of War Remastered, Gat Out of Hell, The Taken King, Darksiders II Deathfinitive Edition... the Order, Hardline, Handsome Collection... sweet gently caress, no wonder my wallet's so hurt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

:stonklol:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

God of War Remastered, Gat Out of Hell, The Taken King, Darksiders II Deathfinitive Edition... the Order, Hardline, Handsome Collection... sweet gently caress, no wonder my wallet's so hurt

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

People are forgetting WWE 2K16 featuring Stone Cold Steve Austin.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

My top ones of the year are Super Mario Maker and uhh I guess MGS5. I dunno. In retrospect, and don't get me wrong I like the game a lot but it's just not as great as it could have possibly lived up to.

I lost a month of my life in MGSV, and I can't remember the last time I got so fully engrossed in a game like that. I have to give it big ups for that. Lots of fantastic stuff that came out this year though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

net cafe scandal posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darksiders II Deathfinitive Edition isn't a joke, what the hell.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wormskull posted:

it's hard not to be disappointed with the ending but midway through the game I felt for sure that it was one of the greatest games I have ever played

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

First time in my lofe i wish i was an apple fanboy....

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played a lot of it too but looking back at it, even though it probably does the things the best they can be done, it has a lot of Modern Game AIDS stuff going on and it's sort of too easy I guess and while it's part of the fun, the Still Engaging intersection of the base difficulty with how much R&D starts affecting the difficulty is kinda narrow. Or it's just not as hardcore as the other ones could be sometimes. Something like that. I would describe it like, while I was playing it at some point I kind of wished I had done a playthrough without fultoning a ton of guys. Which when I did start doing that playthrough it turned out to be pretty interesting to do it where I was playing mostly lethal/stealth and if I wanted people I had to CQC them. But at that point it's like well why didn't they just put a mode where you get a lot less fultons or it's harder to get guys or something. I guess there's mods that do that. And while that playthrough was more fun I had already just beaten the game. I was wondering also what would happen if I got rid of anyone who spoke the language that's a big thing later on by the time it happens. Anyway, I thought it was a good one and I had a good time, but now I would say, that Super Mario Maker is a lot better.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My goty is skewed because I got a 3DS and a bunch of its backlog so stuff like Link Between Worlds is clogging up my opinion of this year's games.

Even so Monster Hunter 4 U, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, what a time we live in. Xenoblade Chronicles X gets an honorable mention. I haven't even played Witcher 3 yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the cool thing about MGSV's difficulty is its 100% how hard you want to make it for yourself. There's no like, game level toggles or whatever really, like Hard, Expert, etc. It's just that every aspect of the mechanics is like a slider you can play with on the fly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also what AIDS is there in MGSV. The only thing is microtransactions but they effect 0% of the game, unless you want to go insanely deep on FOB invasions.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i like having game level toggles like you say and then using every tool at my disposal within such a game setting, instead of limiting myself. but thats a personal thing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

telling the user to make it hard for themselves is how shovel knight works too and id rather it just be harder

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yoshi's Woolly World was actually extremely good and is on my top 10 list from 2015 for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well shovel knight does have a hard mode though. NG+ has remixed levels and boss encounters

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

that reminds me, plague knight patch is on my goty list

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I think the cool thing about MGSV's difficulty is its 100% how hard you want to make it for yourself. There's no like, game level toggles or whatever really, like Hard, Expert, etc. It's just that every aspect of the mechanics is like a slider you can play with on the fly.

Yeah although there are gates to content based on it and because the existing on-site procurement options in the game are often limited it can get a little boring if you're being like me and saying Ok well I'll only get B+ guys this whole time. It's nice to come across a tank in a mission where most other people would have like some insane explosive device, and I do give them credit for letting you get S ranks without being full stealth or whatever if you do things right. In one of the first missions I used a scoped assault rifle from like 200m away to kill the commander guy except I couldn't actually get a killing shot on him, I just shot him enough that he bled to death and I didn't even get a kill count for it which I don't know if it's because he bled to death or because he was a mission target.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

that reminds me, plague knight patch is on my goty list

Definitely. Chances are the next one will be on my 2016 GOTY list too, the Shovel Knight people are unstoppable

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Definitely. Chances are the next one will be on my 2016 GOTY list too, the Shovel Knight people are unstoppable

i ask myself how could they pull it off again but i sure couldnt see plague knight being that drat good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't buy very many brand new games this year, but the ones that I did buy were fantastic. Also a lot of good patches/expansions/DLC whatever to games I play a lot of. Good year for gaming IMO.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Splatoon was the best game this year yes betteer even than mgs5 which o have not played and bloodborne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i ask myself how could they pull it off again but i sure couldnt see plague knight being that drat good

Idk what they'll do with King Knight, he seems a little too much like Shovel to do something interesting with, but I'm sure they will. Spectre Knight, though, will definitely be off the chain

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Well shovel knight does have a hard mode though. NG+ has remixed levels and boss encounters

Uh what? Its just double damags irc but idr i played it on hard over a yeat ago

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think they add small changes, get rid of some checkpoints and at least the final boss rush is different because there's no chickens or whatever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i dont think the levels are different except they delete some checkpoints and replace all the food with bombs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Also what AIDS is there in MGSV. The only thing is microtransactions but they effect 0% of the game, unless you want to go insanely deep on FOB invasions.

Well it's a bunch of subtle stuff and Design Philosophy things. Carrot Treadmill stuff, regenerating health is a little goofy and slows the pace of a lot of games, Far Cry-ish collectible kind of stuff, just a bunch of tiny things that aren't that big a deal because their done fairly well, open world stealth that's still better than the iterations before it but still suffers a little because of it's nature. Tagging and some of the companions and such for example make the stealth game just straight easier and almost trivial and kind of tedious because God forbid the player remember things or learn from mistakes or adapt on the fly. Someone as tactically brain dead as Dan Ryckert saying he "loves this part", meaning the part where you sit on a hill and look at bad guys through binoculars, but then blundering through missions as stupidly as possible tells me it's a lot about some insane completion psychology or some weird thing about going through the Cool Tactician Stealth Master motions no matter how shallowly you actually have to interact with them. Which again, at least in MGS5 the scoring is robust enough if you care about it and there's a reasonable spectrum of success and failure and it's done better but I don't know. I don't hate the game or anything, those are just my few complaints about it, if I had to qualify why I wouldn't call it the best thing this year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The idea that by its very nature open world stealth will never be as tight as past games is fair. But the weird hybrid game that came out was endlessly fascinating to me, and I usually actively dislike all open world games. It was nice that someone made one that actually played well.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

elf help book posted:

i dont think the levels are different except they delete some checkpoints and replace all the food with bombs

Its just.this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm bored at work so I'm gonna pop open the Wikipedia list of every game released in 2015 and write down all the ones I liked for posterity's sake.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The last 30 years have been good years for gaming.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And just so folks know, I do acknowledge and appreciate the gracefulness of the game as far as mechanics like stun vs sleep vs kill or fulton vs not fulton or the base building or the number of other classic MGS Choice & Consequences crap in the game... So don't get on my rear end about it. Sometimes it's a gamer's job to also acknowledge what they dislike about something, even if it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No flaming here, it's not a perfect game. A lot of side ops weren't really varied enough to be totally engrossing, and there's so many materials that you pointlessly get like a billion of that I'm not even sure why they're in the game. Also, obviously, it would be nice to have Chapter 3.

• Locked thread