Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

mail delivery is pretty worthless and it should be done away with

Canada is eliminating individual mail delivery nationwide in favor of those blocks of mailboxes at the end of the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yard salad posted:

or the trash, because the local Toyota dealer sends gimmick car keys glued to their flyers

hoverwife sent one of those thru the shredder once and broke the hell outta it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sagebrush posted:

Canada is eliminating individual mail delivery nationwide in favor of those blocks of mailboxes at the end of the street

that seems great not

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
UPS has a "2 Day guarantee" on this package, and since it has now taken 6 days to get here I am going to file a claim to get my $30 back.

It's gonna be fun when they deny me because I "did not supply sufficient shipping information: missing apartment number" because they'll get it here with the fake apartment number I gave them BECAUSE THIS ISN'T AN APARTMENT BUILDING.

Also they said it would be here yesterday repeatedly on the phone and it wasn't.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

UPS story:

new fruit product got shipped to me. Because I am not home during business hours they left the sticky, I said 'yeah I'll just head to the DC it's a 15-minute bike ride from me'.

Get there, because I have an out-of-state ID, they make me go home to get a utility bill/etc. to prove I live there. When I return, they go COOL BRB and snatch everything then photocopy it without asking, then appear with my package. I then ask what their data-retention policy is for that photocopy, they respond with 'oh our manager told us we had to do it with fruit things in case someone says we lost it.'

I then proceed to yell at their customer service department on Twitter for being shady and now having lots of un-tracked personal info, conveniently usable for identity theft. Their corporate compliance department then calls me to tell me that they fired pretty much everyone involved in the process at the warehouse and that a team has been dispatched to ensure that everything they collected has been securely shredded.

great job getting a bunch of innocent working-class people fired b/c one manager instituted a bad policy in good faith

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Don't make photocopies of peoples' personal information" is pretty obvious to me and I'm not in charge of managing a company. I think the big important man in charge guy who decided the first idea he thought of to prevent theft was the best idea and had no problems at all should probably not have that job.

I bet the college student peons who do PoS didn't get fired or weren't too concerned if they did.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stereotype posted:

UPS has a "2 Day guarantee" on this package, and since it has now taken 6 days to get here I am going to file a claim to get my $30 back.

It's gonna be fun when they deny me because I "did not supply sufficient shipping information: missing apartment number" because they'll get it here with the fake apartment number I gave them BECAUSE THIS ISN'T AN APARTMENT BUILDING.

Also they said it would be here yesterday repeatedly on the phone and it wasn't.

are you the only resident or business in the building and/or did you use the zip+4 ?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

are you the only resident or business in the building and/or did you use the zip+4 ?

Yes and Yes.

They've delivered to the exact same identical address before with no problem but this time they were very concerned about apartment number.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ya that's weird then. unless u changed something else zip+4 replaces the rest of the address.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

ya that's weird then. unless u changed something else zip+4 replaces the rest of the address.

I'm guessing the delivery guy didn't want to do his job.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that happens. sometimes u gotta fire people.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ludwig van Halen posted:

a lot of the stuff i get from ups and fedex gets delivered by the post office anyway.

i'm pretty sure ups/fedex just drives my package over to the post office at the point of origin, and USPS puts it on a truck or a plane and takes it across the country and delivers it directly to my mailbox.

the last time i ordered something from amazon ups did this, but also sent me an email saying for $3.50 i could have them deliver it instead

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Stereotype posted:

"Don't make photocopies of peoples' personal information" is pretty obvious to me and I'm not in charge of managing a company. I think the big important man in charge guy who decided the first idea he thought of to prevent theft was the best idea and had no problems at all should probably not have that job.

I bet the college student peons who do PoS didn't get fired or weren't too concerned if they did.

computer people tend to be more sensitive to privacy and identity theft than a guy running a warehouse. not saying you did wrong but I doubt employee training really stressed this as an issue and unless this was a pattern of negligence it would probably have been more appropriate to review and update training material

anyway ups is worse than fedex but all the major package delivery companies have at some point put packages in for next day redelivery attempt without even attempting a first delivery on weekdays (when I'm often working at home). and USPS still occasionally stuffs my box with circulars even after opting out and taping a note inside the box attesting to this fact.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Condiv posted:

at least he didn't throw it on my roof

it would have been safer up there imo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

one time ups left me a delivery attempt sticker on my door for an incredibly important package. i drove a million miles to the dispatch place and after searching all over for an hour they told me that it was actually still in transit and would be delivered tomorrow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well yeah they have more than 1 delivery to make.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

no like they gave me a delivery attempt sticker for a package the delivery person didn't have

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
around this time last year, I shipped a cinema amplifier to someone. it weighed about 40 lbs, and was made of a solid steel chassis with thick sheet steel panels.

somehow, UPS managed to bend it, despite the fact that it was packed in many layers of styrofoam and bubble wrap, in a sturdy double-walled high strength box.

they denied my claim because it was "not in a double-walled box". then they left a note on my door several times without knocking, ignoring the fact that I signed for it where you're supposed to sign on the "you weren't here" slip, and told me to come pick it up at the distribution center 20 miles away.

I decided to let them figure out what to do with it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the shipper can tell them to not allow those back of the slip signatures and demand an in person sig.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my local mail service used to be pretty lovely because the postmaster was a terrible lady who did things like mailing back a thing from kaiser permanente because it only had a street address on it, despite delivering similarly addressed mail for the past decade, causing my family's health insurance to be canceled

now there's a new lady and she is very nice and incredibly helpful :3:

as an ebay seller, my favorite items were not the high dollar ones, but the ones I could fit in a regional rate box B.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

no like they gave me a delivery attempt sticker for a package the delivery person didn't have

lol

gotta keep those numbers up

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah that's really common and also very lovely, especially when you catch the guy sticking it on the door and you call him on it

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Since moving in to my new home last year; the UPS delivery man has repeatedly blown me off. My car is several feet away in a driveway connected to the front lawn of the house. The lights are on and it is nearly impossible to conclude that nobody is home.
I see he stops directly in front of the house, runs to the front door, and places a "sorry we missed you" note without knocking or ringing the door bell and running back to his truck as fast as humanly possible.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

if anything, moving all that junk mail makes the usps more responsible cause they have to hit each address

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all of my online christmas orders have come usps which means they arrived earlier than initially projected and completely intact

amazon basically is usps-exclusive during the holidays because they know they'd get torn apart if people didn't get orders on time

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

stymie...is right :eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mishaq posted:

stymie...is right :eyepop:

It's hard to not be right when the opposing opinion comes from a shaggar

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

a lot of the stuff i get from ups and fedex gets delivered by the post office anyway.

i'm pretty sure ups/fedex just drives my package over to the post office at the point of origin, and USPS puts it on a truck or a plane and takes it across the country and delivers it directly to my mailbox.

usps doesn't actually own any planes. they're actually like fedex's largest customer because all air shipping is done through contractors

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

yeah that's really common and also very lovely, especially when you catch the guy sticking it on the door and you call him on it

wthas's the point? either deoiver th epackage or dont bothre stopping, right? idgi

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
usps is so great that ups farms out packages to them

ups is so bad that they farm out packages to usps.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Jerry Cotton posted:

the usps loses shaggars parcels and shoves literal poop in his mailbox on purpose because they know he's shaggar, hth

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

maniacdevnull posted:

This complaint is legit, can't tell you how many times 100% of what's in my mailbox goes right into the recycle bin

i have a trunk next to my fireplace thats loaded with junk mail. all ends up tinder or else recycled.

i have more tinder than i can ever burn.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does the you guys really have competing companies called

usp

and

usps?

wow

like two computer companies. Apple and apples

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

does the you guys really have competing companies called

usp

and

usps?

wow

like two computer companies. Apple and apples

ups is a company that goes by ups

usps is the u.s. postal service. nobody is going to confuse their mailman with a ups guy. and no one would ever say "yew ess pee ess" aloud, either.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ups is a company that goes by ups

usps is the u.s. postal service. nobody is going to confuse their mailman with a ups guy. and no one would ever say "yew ess pee ess" aloud, either.

ups = united parcel service and I think they did purposely choose that name to sound like some sort of official post office entity

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
fedex was originally called federal express for the same reason

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
the fedex guy will leave delivery attempt slips on my door but never actually knocks on the door. sneaky bastard hasn't managed to successfully deliver a package to my apartment yet. at one point, he left a FINAL ATTEMPT (as in, they'll send it back to the shipper,) on the second attempt. the slip says that there are supposed to be three attempts. i had to go to the shipper's customer service and have them resend the package though USPS.

one time i called to complain (since at one point i took the day off of work to accept a mattress delivery, and same thing: delivery attempt slip and no knock,) and the customer support gave the excuse that 1) they aren't obligated to knock and 2) my area is serviced by a contract worker and they have no oversight. :downs:

Necronomoticon fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 16, 2015

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all hail the united states postal service, we are unworthy

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I'm really glad the neighborhood 7/11 has one of those UPS lockers because the lazy rear end drivers just put them there instead of taking it with them back to the sorting facility in the burbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

usps is the one you want to ship with.

• Locked thread