Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
People call it an ugly movie but I don't think it's ugly, although it does miss out on the sweeping vistas which for me define so much of westerns. It felt sordid; Rashomon set in a gutter full of inbred rats. I loved it. Samuel L Jackson's hollered insults really brightened things up at a good moment.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"'Ol' Mary Todd is calling.' Nice touch :v: "
"Thanks!" :hf:

oswald ownenstein posted:

i want to know if he actually gets raped by a bear in the revenant becaues i literally won't see it if it that happens
It was a mama bear in that movie.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd say that if it had one, it'd be something along the lines of the relativeness of truth, maybe versus how important the truth really is in the end.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was his name O.B.? Or Obie?

Because I've met more than a couple country boys named Obie, but never an O B.

I had a cat named O.K. once, it stood for orange kitty.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Red posted:

Really?

I'd tell people that it's very similar to the bar scene in Inglourious Basterds, with gore similar to both Django and Reservoir Dogs.
The gore reminded me more of Japanese films than anything else. It was shockingly over the top but a lot of the goriest stuff was very much laugh out loud silly, with fountains of blood gushing every which way, heads entirely gibbing and flying all over everything within 15 feet, etc. The bleeding out bits (from anyone who lived that long after getting shot) were strongly reminiscent of reservoir dogs though for sure.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Walrus posted:

just want to say that on the last page people discussing the thematic and character implications of Ruth smashing daisy's guitar while not being aware he did so because she directly threatened him was pretty good.

edit:

great point. I love the way he just relishes in the line. "poisoned, the coffee"
I had assumed he smashed the guitar because the song was obviously directed at him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

Also (actually yesterday) TIL Ennio Morricone is still alive. Holy poo poo I am dumb.

edit: ^ yeah, that's what I thought too.

Is the song that she sand (the first verse, at least) a real song? Or was it written for the movie?

I think it was largely a traditional song and then when Ruth insisted she keep going, she made up some lines which were much more obviously directed toward him specifically.

I dunno the song offhand but it very much reminded me of "The Irish Rover", very strongly. I assumed it was either a real historical song modified, or based on one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vegetable posted:

Three things

1) I wish Tarantino did more with the whodunnit angle. We aren't given a chance to see how each character might be suspicious so there's no intrigue at all. Also, Daisy's secret isn't a meaningful secret if she's just a passive bystander through the whole affair.

2) Channing Tatum is horribly miscast. I was excited to see him when I did, but the longer he stayed on screen the worse the decision to cast him seemed.

3) Viggo Mortensen apparently lobbied for a role in this film. That would have been awesome.
I really love Tatum in the movie because he rolls in as this beautiful lancelot-esque character, and then he's immediately destroyed by the ugliness and strife he steps into. I assumed the casting was on purpose. He's Domergue's knight in shining armor.

I think he's the only beautiful and clean person in the movie, aside from six-horse sally or whatever, who suffered a similar fate as Tatum's character. Hell even his boots were sexy.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 15, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harime Nui posted:

Under scrutiny:

Good point. But I'd still pick that over Mexican Bob on a cold night. Maybe it's another nod to Tarantino's obsession with things Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

I thought the vomit effects loving ruled, but I too would like to know if this was a specific homage to something, because know QT, it is.
The blood sprays and the blood vomit both strongly reminded me of japanese cinema. The gouts of blood shooting through the air felt like Zatoichi or something to me.

• Locked thread