Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just remembered this sweet NIS Title. It was on PSP but it was ported extremely poorly to PC. But, it's pretty epic. Anyone else play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What's it about.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hard to explain. It's a dungeon crawler Action JRPG with uhhh it's called a Magic Circle system and ... Well, I'll have to take some screenies to explain at the mome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Here's the magic circle. So the character I'm controlling in the middle and then the ones around it get buffs from the little squares that say stuff like DEF which, in turn buffs the main character I guess. And the positions of things matter in the dungeon part since they will absorb damage first if your attacked on that position. Uhh I'll try to think of more ways to explain while I'm playing.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also the game is like a pixel art and music composition studio since you can change the art on your character and stuff, either basic or down to changing the walk and run animations and what have you.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

And you can change what weapons look like if they have a EDIT property.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Also the game is like a pixel art and music composition studio since you can change the art on your character and stuff, either basic or down to changing the walk and run animations and what have you.

You mean you can draw stuff?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Music editor.
Character creation.
Character editor.
Weapon editor.

There's also other stuff like uhh a Relationship Chart editor. A lot of it has no gameplay value so I guess it's for people really into booking there own JRPG stories and stuff.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I will say they were nice enough to have rudimentary mouse support but there's little keyboard support for typing. I think maybe the MML editor thing for the music supports it... I would hope.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Looks sweet as hell, OP.. but the sort of thing that would need a touch screen or mouse control, i think. I mean the customization part.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
[J] Place a dot

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dungeon select.

Dungeon screen.

Hit by a trap. The back character took the damage.

Hitting a blob.

Obtaining a Normal SP Orb Arise 1.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The screenshots for the game on Steam have a PSP UI.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also like other NIS games it has "Ran-geons" or random dungeons.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There's also stuff like you take damage while on fire but it sets your attacks on fire too. Or in grass you move slow. And a bunch of other crazy variables to learn about... Pretty deep for this kind of thing if you ask me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I have no idea what ClaDun is short for. If anything... Sorry to anyone wondering.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh I guess in Japan it's known as Classic Dungeon. So there you go.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I played the first one on my PSP several years ago, but I couldn't get into it. If you like it, though, I'm glad.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I loved it a lot for a bit there but the traps mechanic is too boring.

I think I would actually like to play this in co-op but they only support it on the very first game on psp and that was it right?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

program666 posted:

I loved it a lot for a bit there but the traps mechanic is too boring.

I think I would actually like to play this in co-op but they only support it on the very first game on psp and that was it right?

No idea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats on obtaining a Normal SP Orb Arise 1, OP.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i like the pixels in this game

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Wormskull posted:

I have no idea what ClaDun is short for. If anything... Sorry to anyone wondering.

drat

mote
May 13, 2010

Indeed
I have the first one and it was awesome. The sprite editor thing rules

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNq8IMR4BM Here's me playing a dungeon for 3 minutes, to better show a typical dungeon. The idea of this one is you kill the cats to unlock the doors so I guess you get the Par time from killing the right colored cat as fast as you can.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

When the screen yells WIN! it actually just means you unlocked a door or something usually.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

After that I got a cutscene where the chick who looks like the chick from Guren Lagan kicks a sword off the screen and yells at it, and then asks if I need help in dungeons, and then whether I feel bad about killing the monsters.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I dont want to kill any cats.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNq8IMR4BM Here's me playing a dungeon for 3 minutes, to better show a typical dungeon. The idea of this one is you kill the cats to unlock the doors so I guess you get the Par time from killing the right colored cat as fast as you can.

this doesn't look very good to me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The game looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots.. the drops and loot look really boring though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's already locked at 30 FPS and if you can believe it the slowdown in the video is actually the game lagging. I don't know why it would but, there you go.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

The game looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots.. the drops and loot look really boring though.
Lootmans

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Music editor.

That's a nice mml editor.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well the thing with the drops is they become more epic on the magic circle grid thing because they interact with each other and the characters and the magic circle has different effects and stuff. Like one I'm using on one of the characters is if you leave sub characters off the grid you get more ATK or move speed, but it means you have less total HP.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Forgot to ask earlier but did you draw the pixel bikinis on your characters.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No, that's what's on the character if they don't have armor.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Then the library nerd character started telling me that in fact the whole reason I'm fighting is because this whole operation is actually... Forced Labor! and now the music is ominous.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Holy crap. Now I'm being told that this city hub is actually a dungeon as well, but with no exit, and the music is changing every new dialogue box, from cheerful to ominous to triumphant to a more upbeat kind of ominous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Here's the magic circles I've unlocked so far for the Saint character:

Here's uhh Kindness:

Then what you do is put the artifacts and stuff you find on the appropriate tiles and you have to do it in sequence
, so the first circle to the left would need an ATK -> ATK -> HP artifact.

And they sometimes have effects like Joint. The weapons have effects too but you equip them on the character.

Here's one of the effects on this board.

• Locked thread