Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

An android app for viewing these fine forums. An alternative experience to the Awful android app.

Originally started by Uncomfortable Gaze as an alternative to the Awful app with a focus on having a cleaner code base that would make it easier for newcomers to contribute as well as have a slightly more streamlined app in general (less settings, etc.)

The app is designed around starring your favorite forums or using bookmarks. You can also set a specific default forum, the app will open to that instead of the bookmarks.

Install it
Play Store

Screenshots

But is there a beta?
Why yes, there is. Head on over to this sweet play store link to join in and get updates and new bugs way quicker than everyone else (and go to the link to leave it too)

But you want to contribute some code/designs/something to this thing!
The project is hosted on Github so use that to make a fork and ruin this apk further: https://github.com/2fast2fourier/something.apk

This app is missing my favorite feature
If it's not in the next post, feel free to post your complaints and insults at me through Github issues or in this thread. Maybe it was mentioned in the old project.log thread.

I want more settings
You would be better served by Awful

Contributors
Uncomfortable Gaze/Salvador Dalvik (original author)
Sereri
LastInLine
Drastic Actions
Jose Valasquez
Master_Odin (current developer)

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Current beta version: 0.6.4b1

Beta Changelog posted:

• Fix attachments not showing

Current stable version: 0.6.3

Stable Changelog posted:

• Change color on popup menus to be black on light based skins
  • Basic support for inline tweets
  • Fix crash when trying to reply to PMs
  • Show icon for pinned threads in thread lists

To-Do List
-Emote selection.
-View Profile and Rapsheet.
-Search.
-Posting new threads.
-Handle special announcements page. (announcement.php)
-Better code box
-Register forum intents
-Other bugs and things

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 8, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
New update to Something in that Zen Death Robots improved security scheme for SA broke logging in with the app so that's now fixed and we support SA moving into the present day with their security features.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Master_Odin posted:

New update to Something in that Zen Death Robots improved security scheme for SA broke logging in with the app so that's now fixed and we support SA moving into the present day with their security features.
Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe this is a dumb question but is the goal of this project at this point anything but maintenance or are you looking to add to it? Obviously there are some bugs (jump to post being wrong) and missing features (emoticon picker, create new thread) but on the other hand it's rock-solid as is and from what I understand has a nice, clean codebase.

What are your plans?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

LastInLine posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but is the goal of this project at this point anything but maintenance or are you looking to add to it? Obviously there are some bugs (jump to post being wrong) and missing features (emoticon picker, create new thread) but on the other hand it's rock-solid as is and from what I understand has a nice, clean codebase.

What are your plans?
The goal is to at least get it to v1 which would include everything to the to-do list from the previous thread (and I'll move it over to this thread). I'm now getting back into this so for now I'm definitely focused first on things that affect me (dropdown menu wrong color on light theme, code box being sort of unusable for large code boxes going left/right). This is my top used app so I have some vested interest in keeping it going and making it great. :patriot:

I'll look into the jump to post bug though (better description would be appreciated) as it does seem annoying that I cannot link directly to posts.

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/722230729547984896

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 20, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

The goal is to at least get it to v1 which would include everything to the to-do list from the previous thread (and I'll move it over to this thread). I'm now getting back into this so for now I'm definitely focused first on things that affect me (dropdown menu wrong color on light theme, code box being sort of unusable for large code boxes going left/right). This is my top used app so I have some vested interest in keeping it going and making it great. :patriot:

I'll look into the jump to post bug though (better description would be appreciated) as it does seem annoying that I cannot link directly to posts.

I believe that the problem with linking to a post is that it links only to the page the post is on. Here's a link to this post in order to test.

Edit: Yep, just tested and that link loads this page from the OP and not scrolled to the post in question.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

LastInLine posted:

I believe that the problem with linking to a post is that it links only to the page the post is on. Here's a link to this post in order to test.

Edit: Yep, just tested and that link loads this page from the OP and not scrolled to the post in question.

Can I request auto embedding of tweets and webms similar to Awful?

Since the forums have started embedding themselves, tweet heavy or gif threads are just a sea of links in Something

I really want to go back to using it over Awful

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not complaining because I'm running a pre-beta OS, but it seems the latest N build broke the app for multi window. When you select a thread, it freezes and crashes. Probably not worth effort to look into while the new multi window is still being developed, but I figured I would report it anyways. Works fine when not doing split screen.

What's odd is it worked fine on the first preview build. I'm running it on a Pixel C.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Skarsnik posted:

Can I request auto embedding of tweets and webms similar to Awful?

Since the forums have started embedding themselves, tweet heavy or gif threads are just a sea of links in Something

I really want to go back to using it over Awful
Yes, that should be a thing that gets added, I agree!

bull3964 posted:

Not complaining because I'm running a pre-beta OS, but it seems the latest N build broke the app for multi window. When you select a thread, it freezes and crashes. Probably not worth effort to look into while the new multi window is still being developed, but I figured I would report it anyways. Works fine when not doing split screen.

What's odd is it worked fine on the first preview build. I'm running it on a Pixel C.
Hmm, looks like it's causing something with android to crash from memory usage. I'll try looking into it, but can't say it's a priority for a pre-beta OS as it might just be a bug within it potentially?

:siren: New beta :siren:

Changelog posted:

0.6.3b1
- Change color on popup menus to be black on light based skins
- Basic support for inline tweets
Next up is embedding webms. I think I'm going to tie tweets, vines, and webms embedding to the image setting such that if you select to load images, it'll also embed the other stuff otherwise not (including whether it's over data or just wi-fi).

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
And another beta version already with another fix, how fun.

Changelog posted:

0.6.3b2
- Fix crash when replying to PMs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't find another example of where a light UI generates a black dropdown. Isn't the proper fix for this removing the graphic assets in the menu? Because I can't find another example where the menu has iconography on the menu listings.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

LastInLine posted:

I can't find another example of where a light UI generates a black dropdown. Isn't the proper fix for this removing the graphic assets in the menu? Because I can't find another example where the menu has iconography on the menu listings.
Awful has icons in the post options menu as well.

However, before this beta, Android 4.4 and 5+ had different colors for the menus (4.4 is black while 5+ is that grayish color). I'd like to have both have the same color for the menu, so I guess if people don't like that black color for menus, I'll just create light versions of the icons and style it to be grey on both 4.4 and 5+ instead of black. Though I guess it'd give me a reason to convert the icons to be vectors instead of images if I was going to stick with the gray color going forward.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 21, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Master_Odin posted:

Yes, that should be a thing that gets added, I agree!

Thanks!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Is there a reason image attachments don't show up?

DrGaiusBallsack
Aug 17, 2014

Master_Odin posted:

that would make it easier for newcomers to contribute

And you would want that... why?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Another addition to beta as I continue to waffle around with what to do with the menu icons

Changelog posted:

0.6.3b3
- Fix crash when replying to PM
- Show icon for pinned threads in thread list

Golem II posted:

Is there a reason image attachments don't show up?
Because something isn't working properly and I'll look into it.

DrGaiusBallsack posted:

And you would want that... why?
They might get it into their heads to implement some missing features? :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 2, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wonderful, back to something for me

We'll unless it all breaks and stuff

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Two minor issues:

1) The new pinned post icon on the default light theme is a yellow blob of some sort. I can't tell what it's supposed to be. Maybe if it were darker? Maybe if it were an outline of pin?

2) I'm seeing tweets being cut off. This is a link to an example of it but remember that following links to a post is broken in Something (it will go to the beginning of that page). For me, that tweet just ends at the second "finding bugs". I don't have my phone on me at the moment but I can get a screenshot if need be.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

2) I'm seeing tweets being cut off. This is a link to an example of it but remember that following links to a post is broken in Something (it will go to the beginning of that page). For me, that tweet just ends at the second "finding bugs". I don't have my phone on me at the moment but I can get a screenshot if need be.

Works for me on my N5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Works for me on my N5.

Hrm, same device here and now it's displaying properly. I swear it wasn't before. What it looked like was that the box was the right size before the picture loaded and then once it did it pushed the tweet and the tweet's info past the bottom of the box.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I've seen that too, it may have been when it was the last post on that page or thread possibly?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Tweets seem to not get cut off in Awful.apk as well so might be a fix on Twitters end. There was an announcement about changes "in the coming days".

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Sereri posted:

Tweets seem to not get cut off in Awful.apk as well so might be a fix on Twitters end. There was an announcement about changes "in the coming days".
Yeah, it seems to look better now?

Updated the sticky icon as well as fix a bug with non-stickied threads getting the icon. Will probably push this to stable if nothing else is wrong and then focus on getting rid of some of the depreciated parts of the application so we can move to toward better design.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I still get cut off tweets constantly. I always have to go to the previous page and back to see the full text.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

LastInLine posted:

I still get cut off tweets constantly. I always have to go to the previous page and back to see the full text.
Device?

And what do you mean going to the previous page to see the full text?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Device?

And what do you mean going to the previous page to see the full text?

Nexus 5. I mean if you load a new or previous page then go back the tweet loads correctly. The problem is always that the text loads first but the pictures loading pushes the text out of view. If you leave then come back everything is cached and displays correctly.

Am I the only one seeing this? Because it consistently happens for me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I only get it if it's the last post on a page, and yes just going back a page or reloading fixes it

Any news on fixing attachments?

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
I've been having the same problem with some tweets being cut off, on Droid Turbo.

Just an example:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Soo any word on fixing attachments?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Skarsnik posted:

Soo any word on fixing attachments?
This got me to try and fix this issue again and I've actually figured out what's wrong this time around (requests to attachment.php didn't include the proper cookies so you're getting back the "you need to login page" instead of an image). I hope to push a new beta tomorrowish as I just need to replace my hardcoded cookie sets with something general.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Amazing, thank you :)

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Skarsnik posted:

Amazing, thank you :)
Let me know if things work once you update to 0.6.4b1 which hit beta store once google updates or whatever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Noice

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My girlfriend is having a problem that I can't replicate. She'll try to advance a page and only the page number will increment. It happens in both directions, forward and backward, and it doesn't matter if she uses the pull up to next or uses the arrows.. The content doesn't change at all, doesn't even go to the top of the current page or anything, it just stays the same. It does change her last read position on the forums so something must be happening.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I'm having the same issue on my Moto X Play.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Same thing is happening to me. Progress bar appears and page number changes but the actual view doesn't change.

Something 0.6.3 on Android 7.1.1 on Nexus 6P. Neither a reinstall or logging out and back in have helped.

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

Having the same issue with the page navigation as the others above, plus I could not post a reply to this thread through the app either.

Have the latest version of the app installed on my Droid Turbo running Marshmallow.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm having the same issue on my Moto X Play.
What version of Android? I've never seen this issue before either so we'll see if I can replicate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Same issue with OnePlus 3, running marshmallow. It worked fine for many months.

• Locked thread