Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Master_Odin posted:

What version of Android? I've never seen this issue before either so we'll see if I can replicate it.

6.0.1, latest available version from Motorola.

It happens on both 3G/4G and on wifi. I tried restarting the phone completely, but it still happens.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

My girlfriend is having a problem that I can't replicate. She'll try to advance a page and only the page number will increment.

Same issue since mid-yesterday.

Moto X (first gen), Kit-kat

:siren: Possible clue- the Awful app stopped working at the same time, just gives a loading error now.

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

6.0.1, latest available version from Motorola.

It happens on both 3G/4G and on wifi. I tried restarting the phone completely, but it still happens.

Having the same issue on an LG G4, Android 6.0

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For some reason I don't have the issue with 0.6.4b1 anymore.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I'm having trouble posting from the app. Currently, I'm getting the error below in any thread I try - including this one.

Viewing threads works absolutely fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rolleyes posted:

I'm having trouble posting from the app. Currently, I'm getting the error below in any thread I try - including this one.

Viewing threads works absolutely fine.

I just tested, and I'm getting that error as well.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seeing as nothing has changed in the app, and the issue before this went away on its own, maybe it's just general forum backend poo poo going on?

The technical thread in QCS is probably worth a bookmark..

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I haven't been able to page through threads for days. Clicking on it changes the page #, the 'working' indicator line at the top moves, but the content of the page doesn't update (if I go to page 5 I'm still viewing page 4).

If I were to go 'back' to the list of threads/bookmarks, the unread counter DOES update, and if I click on the thread it will take me to the correct page.

The only way I can see to page between threads is to view it, go back to the list, let that counter update, then click on it which takes me to next page.

Reading any *NEW* thread however is borked. Doing so gives me a blank page, top says "Loading..." and page 1/0". I can click back per above but then get page 2.

Nexus 5x w/ Android 7.1.1.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

falz posted:

I haven't been able to page through threads for days. Clicking on it changes the page #, the 'working' indicator line at the top moves, but the content of the page doesn't update (if I go to page 5 I'm still viewing page 4).

If I were to go 'back' to the list of threads/bookmarks, the unread counter DOES update, and if I click on the thread it will take me to the correct page.

The only way I can see to page between threads is to view it, go back to the list, let that counter update, then click on it which takes me to next page.

Reading any *NEW* thread however is borked. Doing so gives me a blank page, top says "Loading..." and page 1/0". I can click back per above but then get page 2.

I have both of these exact same problems. Motox (2nd gen) Android 6.0

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm still not seeing this problem.

Dumb question but has anyone tried logging out and logging back in? How about clearing cache/data, uninstalling/reinstalling? Just spitballing here as my device works fine and my girlfriend is saying hers is working again having done nothing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I just logged out/in, no change. Uninstalled/reinstalled, no change BUT it seemed to keep my settings (my theme was still dark). I then cleaned data, logged back in (it had the default theme and forgot my bookmarks) but still have the same issue.

Oh also apparently I cannot post to threads either.

Does it somehow correlate to account features? I have Platinum + Archives but do NOT have 'no-ads'

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I really wish I could help :shrug:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah I have the paging problem too. Have also tried clearing data etc, no effect. I'm writing this post from the other forums app which seems to be working.

Best guess is that something has changed Forumside which has broken Something's ability to parse threads. Meanwhile, Awful either handles it differently or already fixed it.

I definitely prefer the Something app, so here's hoping Master Odin can fix it!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Skarsnik posted:

Seeing as nothing has changed in the app, and the issue before this went away on its own, maybe it's just general forum backend poo poo going on?

The technical thread in QCS is probably worth a bookmark..

Yeah, Zen Death Robot posted that there was an error with the servers that affected some number of people. I can only imagine that that has affected Something.apk in some weird way as I can replicate this yet and my suggestion would also have been to clear the app data and see if that resolves things.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I had the same problem, so went to the other Awful app which I don't like as much and that works fine.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Yeah, Zen Death Robot posted that there was an error with the servers that affected some number of people. I can only imagine that that has affected Something.apk in some weird way as I can replicate this yet and my suggestion would also have been to clear the app data and see if that resolves things.

Any secret tips to clear out the app data beyond the usual? Because I've tried through the app manager screen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I am also having the problems described above.

I can load a thread from my book marks, but if I try to go to the next page, the page never loads, but the forums will update my last read page to the page that never loaded.

I can go back to my bookmarks and open a different thread and it will load. I can then go back to the other thread and it would load to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am also having the problems described above.

I can load a thread from my book marks, but if I try to go to the next page, the page never loads, but the forums will update my last read page to the page that never loaded.

I can go back to my bookmarks and open a different thread and it will load. I can then go back to the other thread and it would load to.

If you try to use Awful, does it work? Does it work in Chrome?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I'm having the same paging/posting issues as everyone else. Awful works fine, but I prefer Something because it doesn't flash a white screen when loading the page on a dark theme like Awful does.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

If you try to use Awful, does it work? Does it work in Chrome?

Yes, it works in awful and chrome. I did try clearing the app data and it didn't make any difference.

They updated the copyright date recently. Any chance that's the cause?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes, it works in awful and chrome. I did try clearing the app data and it didn't make any difference.

They updated the copyright date recently. Any chance that's the cause?

Master_Odin is the man to ask but I think the bigger problem is that some people have the problem and some of us don't and unfortunately, he doesn't. I'm really confused why my girlfriend's app just started working fine without having done anything. I mean if there's something static that's causing it, then it would affect all users doing x or with whatever attribute, but if it can come and go, I don't know how to even track the problem down.

We've got to at least narrow down why some of us are fine and others aren't.

Is it all threads in every forum? (Obviously I understand there has to be unread pages ahead to see the problem.)

What is everyone using for posts per page? (I use 10, my girlfriend was using 40 and switched to 10 in an attempt to fix the problem. It didn't help initially and continued to exhibit the problem for about a day. Now hers works and is on 10.)

What theme is everyone using? (Both my girlfriend and I are using Default. I don't see how the theme could matter.)

All other preferences? (Images & avatars both enabled, small for me. Hers is probably the same but whatever the default size is--no changes between not working and working.)

Forums upgrades? (Both of us have everything--No Ads, Platinum, Archives)

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

m2pt5 posted:

I'm having the same paging/posting issues as everyone else. Awful works fine, but I prefer Something because it doesn't flash a white screen when loading the page on a dark theme like Awful does.

Just until this gets fixed, I'll suggest trying Awful App with the OLED or YOSPOS / Amberpos themes. I get no flashes and those are still dark themes

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

m2pt5 posted:

Sorry about the short hijack Odin, but m2pt5 are you actually using a dark theme or just using the default theme to browse YOSPOS?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

We've got to at least narrow down why some of us are fine and others aren't.

Here ya go:

Is it all threads in every forum? Yes, and now that I try threads which aren't in my bookmarks they literally won't load at all. I just get the screen you can see at this link: For threads in my bookmarks it doesn't matter whether there are new posts or not; I can't page forward or backward regardless. (Obviously I understand there has to be unread pages ahead to see the problem.)

What is everyone using for posts per page? 40. Changing to 10 makes no difference.

What theme is everyone using? Dark.

All other preferences? Images and avatars enabled, font size normal.

Forums upgrades? I only have a basic forums account, no extras.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Folks with problems - just now, using Chrome to post this thread (on a desktop) I clicked 'Preview Reply' and just got a blank white page. Refreshing it (and re-POSTing) gave me the 'Thread not found on live forums' message.

I was attempting to post about there being some botched Javascript (viewable via 'inspect/debug' of page network loads in Chrome). Specifically this line is botched:

<script src="//tags-cdn.deployads.com/a/somethingawful.com.js"></script>

If I have the above line in my post, I always get a blank page when I preview, if I refresh that (which appears to re-POST) it gives me 'Thread not found on forums'. It's possible that the 2nd part of this is just normal when re-POSTING something from the blank page, dunno.

Edit, when I actually submitted my reply above, I got a blank page but it posted. Something on forums doing a sanity check for some subset of this line? I changed parts of it, like the name of the .js, and I did NOT hit the issue.

Edit 2: when I edited my post I also got the blank page but it did submit my edits.

Edit 3: maybe its just Ublock Origin's method of locking content in chrome?

falz fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 12, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had the problem briefly one evening but not before or since. I assumed it was just forum issues. No idea.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Tunga posted:

I had the problem briefly one evening but not before or since. I assumed it was just forum issues. No idea.
Yeah, the only thing that would cause this sort of sporadic failure is something to do with the forums as everyone should be (everyone is on the newest version right?) running the same version of the app and thus getting the same HTML response from SomethingAwful unless Cloudflare or specific servers or ads are messing up and giving unexpected results that the app cannot parse for the post information.

The fact I continue to not experience this issue at all in any fashion is just making it all the more frustrating to try and figure out what might be the cause.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Sereri posted:

Sorry about the short hijack Odin, but m2pt5 are you actually using a dark theme or just using the default theme to browse YOSPOS?

Nope, I'm actually using the dark theme. I don't post in YOSPOS.

Edit: Just successfully posted and edited this with Something, so I don't know what the gently caress. Maybe the Something update I just installed fixed it?

Edit 2: Paging works now as well. I'm assuming now that it was the update and/or the fact I just rebooted my tablet.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Seems to be working for me now as well after updating.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Post test.

edit:
Above was from the app, this is now me posting from Firefox. So... yeah, seems like it must be (have been?) something forum-side. I've changed literally nothing between my post a couple of hours ago and now, and suddenly everything is fine.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well whatever happen I'm glad it's working now. I was tempted to reinstall the Awful app, but I'm no savage.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Looks like the update to the app fixed it for me too.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Lowen SoDium posted:

Looks like the update to the app fixed it for me too.

Same. Very strange.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm just glad it works again. Using Awful is a pain after using Something since it was released. Thanks for the great app, man!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't see any update yet but everything still works fine. Could this be time-based? I'm in the UK so generally use the forums during UK mornings and evenings. The one time I saw this issue was around 01:00 one night which would be US afternoon/evening so presumably during peak traffic. I guess if it's fixed now we'll never know.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Master_Odin, would it be easy to have this use Chrome views on external links rather than exiting to the browser?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LastInLine posted:

Hey Master_Odin, would it be easy to have this use Chrome views on external links rather than exiting to the browser?

Please make this an option only, not the default. It's so much nicer for me to load tabs in the background via Firefox (and its adblocking extension).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

effika posted:

Please make this an option only, not the default. It's so much nicer for me to load tabs in the background via Firefox (and its adblocking extension).

Yeah, ublock + stylish with some universal OLED theme makes Firefox ideal for this, it's a nice idea but hopefully just as an option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If there are objections, forget it. This app will be dying soon enough as it is. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

If there are objections, forget it. This app will be dying soon enough as it is. :)

Wait, what?

• Locked thread