Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car/

quote:

With Hotz still holding the wheel, the Acura’s lidar paints a pixelated image on the dash screen of everything around us, including the freeway walls and other cars. A blue line charts the path the car is taking, and a green line shows the path the self-driving software recommends. The two match up pretty well, which means the technology is working. After a couple miles, Hotz lets go of the wheel and pulls the trigger on the joystick, kicking the car into self-driving mode. He does this as we head into an S curve at 65 miles per hour. I say a silent prayer. Hotz shouts, “You got this, car! You got this!”

The car does, more or less, have it. It stays true around the first bend. Near the end of the second, the Acura suddenly veers near an SUV to the right; I think of my soon-to-be-fatherless children; the car corrects itself. Amazed, I ask Hotz what it felt like the first time he got the car to work.

“Dude,” he says, “the first time it worked was this morning.”

:downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love the carefree nature of tech fuckers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:69snypa:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
have hobbies gone too far?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

this guy is relevant again?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rip geohot

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

admit it op you're just jealous that you don't live in The Crypto Castle

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Migishu posted:

have hobbies gone too far?

canonical is a for profit company

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fun fact: that plastic lion mask is 3 dollars at target

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm the bitcoin mug

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
self-driving car work itself actually seems impressive but you guys are really missing all the hilarious parts of the article not reading it

quote:

In the coming weeks, Hotz intends to start driving for Uber so he can rack up a lot of training miles for the car.

quote:

“Slavery did not end because everyone became moral,” he says. “The reason slavery ended is because we had an industrial revolution that made man’s muscles obsolete.

also his whining about some baby slap-fight with elon musk is great

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the op is insanely jealous of the iphone hacker kid

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think we should contact this guy and solicit the name Lomarf Car for this vehicle.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

quote:

“Slavery did not end because everyone became moral,” he says. “The reason slavery ended is because we had an industrial revolution that made man’s muscles obsolete.

lol that's not even close to true

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

heres a lil pro tip: slavery didnt end

hth

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I'm the computer workstation, where one concentrates on important work, next to a pair of furnaces and a water heater that turn on and off at completely random times

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

jc he's like the worst physical characteristics of musk and zuckerberg combined

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

(THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS UBUNTU LINUX),

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im the nvidia shield box

Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
where does this guy live, like i get he's maybe in the bay area but if ceos call you with MM bonus offers id think you can afford a 1b/1ba somewhere in ~*the city*~ instead of your moms basement

Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress maybe even spring for a work studio in oakland or something don't solder poo poo in your basement

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pram
Jun 10, 2001

the op is insanely jealous of the iphone hacker kid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this story is 100% bullshit and only notable in that he found a reporter stupid enough to believe it. this is baby's first lidar pathfinder and doesn't address any of the real challenges of self-driving cars

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Management posted:

this story is 100% bullshit and only notable in that he found a reporter stupid enough to believe it. this is baby's first lidar pathfinder and doesn't address any of the real challenges of self-driving cars

and it still nearly killed them lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

love too spend all my time using my expensive pc sitting right next to a literal fire and also somethign that coudl easily spray water everywhere and also its loud and turns on and off at random

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is that a saitek joystick in the op? whatever kind of joystick that is in the op, i'm it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'm the power supply brick that's billimeters away from being swept off the desk by his left hand to crash into the top of the computer sitting there for the 9th time

also the tv that's ostensibly a display pointing where it cannot be seen from the workstation

also what in several fucks is with that paper taping job

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

I think we should contact this guy and solicit the name Lomarf Car for this vehicle.

Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the star fleet logo on the ENGAGE button in the lower right of the monitor on the desk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Godspeed You! Black Conservative posted:

I'm the star fleet logo on the ENGAGE button in the lower right of the monitor on the desk

pedophile spotted

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Management posted:

pedophile spotted

Turn on your monitor.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
what happens in the event that xorg crashes

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Phoenixan posted:

what happens in the event that xorg crashes

the driver needs to be reinstalled

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OSI bean dip posted:

the driver needs to be reinstalled

:drat:

Underwear
May 13, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm the computer workstation, where one concentrates on important work, next to a pair of furnaces and a water heater that turn on and off at completely random times

and setup over the only uncarpeted area in the room, so one's feet get to rest on dirty bare concrete

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

Turn on your monitor.

brutal

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the op wishes he ever did anything a magazine would interview him for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

how many of these systems at $1k a pop will he need to sell to cover the inevitable lawsuit after the first accident?

also lol at living in a buttcoin hacker hostel

• Locked thread