Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The female half-Muggle reminds me too much of Laurel on Arrow whom I still absolutely hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trying to listen to the audiobooks, I'm glad they aged up everyone to grad students.

I really hope the show doesn't suck because as a grad student named Q who takes antidepressants

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 19, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Level 50 girl terrified the living poo poo out of me because she looks EXACTLY like an ex of mine. I actually went to the IMDB page to make sure it wasn't her.
You used to date Kacey Rohl? You lucky gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The spell that Quentin was casting in the preview, I can't even get my hands in that position because my middle fingers are so much longer than my index fingers.

I wonder if hand shape was part of the casting process.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Even CalTech takes in more than 20 students per year. It makes for bad television, but more importantly, the tiny student body would be conspicuously distracting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mouse Dresser posted:

It's said in the book that there's one school in the UK, a few across the continent of Europe, a few in Asia, 1 in New Zealand, and 1 in Tasmania. I would assume there's a Caribbean school, since there's a Jamaican professor in the books. Same goes for an African school, but it's not mentioned.
What kind of moron would have a school in both New Zealand and Tasmania but not in Australia?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oroborus posted:

Not that I'm complaining but it seems the point of the last few episodes was to get Olivia Taylor Dudley in as few clothes as possible.
Ahem, Margo is the best looking person in the show. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like I don't understand anything about the metaplot. I know the Beast is from Fillory which is a fictional place in some kids books except it's actually real and Quinn has dreams about a character from Fillory called Jane Chatwin and the Beast wants to kill Quentin for some unknown reason, but I don't understand any reason or connection between these things.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

That was weird but I kind of gave it a pass because it theoretically served a purpose to get Alice and Quentin past their issues and have them hook up because they gave in to their "animal nature" or something.

But of course 3 episodes later Quentin gets drunk and cheats on her in a threesome so I dunno. Show's just unnecessarily sexually kinky. But its on the network that has a show that's basically someone having the super power of sex so I guess I'm not super surprised.
Is that Lost Girl or something?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's a Canadian show though. It just happens to air on SyFy in the US.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was so confused for about 2 seconds reading the posts above.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Tits are a powerful motivator.
See: Resident Evil and Underworld

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mortanis posted:

In a show full of absurdly attractive people Olivia Taylor Dudley is insanely pretty. I like how the after-preview was throwing quotes from S1 at the screen and they had to make sure "sexy people" was one of them.
You meant to say Margo but I'll forgive you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think the CGI is above average given the limitations of the show.

Also, the final scene where Julia and Marina are smoking made me thankful that there was a show like this with protagonists my age. Well, at least the age I imagine myself to be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm trying to actually start watching this since its on Netflix now, but I still cant get over how old the actors look for highschool students

Whatever, I'll deal with and keep going
They're explicitly grad students.

Or are you supposed to be in the Dark Archie thread?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is kinda charming: http://www.syfy.com/themagicians/videos/the-magicians-answer-your-adulting-questions

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Which, actually, I guess Jane was right about in a round about way. And I guess you could argue that being raped and traumatized is better than being murdered by the Beast. But Jane's still a dick.
Only if you're someone who values life above all else.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Niffin-Alice is definitely giving Harvey / Head-Scorpius a run for best mentally-projected character in a show on a science fiction network. Sorry, not sorry, Head-Six, your plan was dumb and I don't want to watch Baltar jerk it.
Head-Six had much better outfits though. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How much stuff was affected by the wellspring and the plumber turning off magic? Our world and Fillory yes, but is the Library beyond that?

Where do the fairies exist relative to all this? And the Underworld? Is Fillory basically just another planet?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't understand how Felicia Day keeps getting acting jobs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

"Oh, I am ready to go FULL ON '07 Britney!"
This is '07 Britney so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elueA2rofoo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I love this trashy show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mortanis posted:

"The best episode of Buffy."
"Musical?"

The absurdity of the show is its strength and I'm glad they got around to giving no shits and embraced it. Everything about that episode rocked.
The best part is that I think most people probably would consider "Once More With Feeling" and "Hush" to be the best 2 episodes of Buffy. Hooray for not just pop culture references but correct pop culture references!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder what the extras casting call for that was like.

"Party goers, mostly unclothed"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does Alice wear glasses in the books?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

She needs to calm down with the glasses, it's the rug that ties the room together.
The glasses help a lot

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did Penny die while he was astrally projected?
That was my interpretation. He is now a force ghost.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuckkk I need next week's episode stat! :f5:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

I didn't realise there was a scientific scale for it.
Calling the Kinsey scale scientific is about as accurate as the scale itself

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Magicians is a legit good show and has been for a while.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

This show is unreasonably good.
Yeah. In their first seasons, this show felt like an afterthought compared to The Expanse. Although it helps that their schedules aren't synced up anymore, The Magicians has become a show I must see the night it airs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I were a magician and magic went away, I would legit probably just kill myself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"Remember how great that musical episode of Buffy was?" -The Magicians showrunners, probably

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh was kind of a dick this episode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've always thought of Josh as an acquaintance. I never got the impression that he really wanted to join their friendship group.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How are fairies weak without deals if they have magic? Seems like that would put them ahead of non-magic types like the Lorians.

Also, what do we think will happen to Irene, the lady who escaped the red wedding dinner?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like our Josh was bitten by a werewolf, he just lied to dick Josh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Also this show continues to be way better than it has any right to be.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She's a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj5L9SYhoSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Based on the music during the credits, it seems like Penny's "it's something much worse" is referring to The Beast. But is he really that much worse than The Monster?