Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

icantfindaname posted:

Like what? I read the first book a long time ago but don't remember much other than that it was very very very nihilistic and angsty in tone. Also I think there was a furry sex scene where him and his girlfriend gently caress in fox form. Unfortunately both of those could make it into a network TV show just fine

I don't know about him but for me you can really tell that Grossman is a book critic from the way it's written. There are more than a few times it feels a scene exists because Grossman has a checklist of things he needed to include. The book is also over full with pop culture references, he actually handled it with a lot more talent that Ready Player One but it's still telling if you recognize it. After the book came out he made a three page blog post detailing every single reference he worked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The books are okay up until the third one which was just shy of garbage. Grossman is a book critic and he writes like one, a lot of it just feels like he's ticking off boxes of things critics look for. He can also rely too heavily on allusions to other works book spoiler his description of Alice in Niffen form is taken from a Penny Arcade comic about world of Warcraft

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alhazred posted:

This season couldn't even afford a pegasus, I doubt that they can afford Cthulhu in the next one.

The monster will just be someone we've already met. Maybe even a long con by The Beast or Reynard to get their power back/resurrection. The quest isn't some autonomous phenomenon, is was purposely created by someone, whomever the 'He' was that hired the demon from the musical episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rocksicles posted:

Ember and Umbers attic brother, Dumber.

I'll be down for this is if he's taken down by Dean Fog punching him through an empty picture frame.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

While the amnesia plot isn't what I was hoping for or expecting, the monster plot is fantastic.

I'm hoping they combine the two and make possession the thing that short circuits the potion. Spend 3-4 episodes righting the ship and give all the key players a chance to act out a bit. Either that, or in the interest of her being awesome, have Margo be the key thanks to her fairy eye.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
As long as she's not getting high on her own supply it's a step up for her.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Argue posted:

I would like to see Margo's subplot from the third book brought to the screen.

Is that the really gross one or was that in book 2?

She lives with a random Fillorian tribe to learn their magic as their put her through as sorts of Mr Miyagi training poo poo. Then they reveal is all a trick so they could humiliate and gently caress her.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 24, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, I guess it depends if the planned worked. I could totally see TV Margo getting tricked up to a point, figuring it out, then turning the tables with some payback.

I didn't read the book though. If the plan worked it might be significantly darker.

It did work, she mentions living with them and going through that for six months before they got tired of her and told her the truth.

They tell her the secret to their weaponry is found in black grains of sand that are mixed i with their regular sand at like 10000/1 and every child must gather a bag full to forge into their first weapon. She spends the six months sifting sand for the black grains. After going through all of that and bringing the bag to the man she’d been sleeping with he laughs at her dumps out the bag to reveal she was just fooling herself into seeing the sand as black and that they would never teach their secrets to a “filthy earth whore”.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 15, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
SYFY announced that they’ve already renewed the show for season 5.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

That was the perfect amount of time. Anymore than that, I would have been very frustrated. We got some good gags, some mild suspense, lots of Todd, and a satisfying resolution to that story arc.

Yeah, this show has always been really good about not dragging this stuff out, they take plots up until the writers start getting bored and then move on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think that scene at the end was the happiest they’ve showed Margo all series, and they only let her have it for like a minute.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just caught up and drat, I have to say I'm still bummed that Josh got talked into ganking Baccarus like that. That seemed like a straight up villain move.

At least they made a case for it earlier in the season with him leaving a trail of bodies in his wake.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think a Titan is a good probability, maybe not in the Greek sense, but something similar in whatever creation mythology the show is running with. Most mythologies have a component of killing a progenitor and using his body to create the worlds and first beings.

Edit: Really dropping the nerd references this week.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 28, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm hoping that he is some being we know of but wouldn't immediately associate with a homicidal villain, like Cupid.

Though I figure that since they're bringing up Egyptian stuff about a dismembered god and didn't jump straight to Osiris/Horus they'll use that as a red herring later in the season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

I noticed that they're doing a lot of variations on the name McCallister (as in the rich family controlling the flow of magic). First, it was Callister Brewing Company. Now Callister Crawley's ashes.

I wasn’t watching with subtitles but are you sure they didn’t say Aleister Crowley?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, if only for the living librarians being bound to a code of ethics to not read people’s books, but Penny’s branch of the underworld library is entirely focused on that.

Vvvv to be fair that apartment is like 70% kitchen.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 8, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yay for next week being a musical episode and boo for them actually touching the desert tribe plot from the books.

VVVV You can check my post history for what happens with it in the books but another plot where a woman is 'empowered' after a sexual violation. Julia's was one too many to begin with.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 21, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I couldn’t quite make out what Quentin said at the end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh, was that the woman from the bar? I guess I missed that too. They've been a little sloppy with the editing this season, if that's the case.

It was understated but the woman at the bar mentioned that she had to call her parents and tell them that the few months of treatment were useless and she was terminal. So the beast had to find a new host and took Julia since she couldn’t die.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She’s still out there and the McAllisters could end up being a long term villain for the next season once the immediacy of the twin gods is wrapped up.

VV Didn't that feature prominently in the Renard stuff?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 13, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don’t forget ‘Flinger of Fish Magic’

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah but they don’t show them as a couple until after she’s dead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leathal posted:

Huh, you usually hear about this sort of thing in the context of “we don’t know if the show’s getting renewed”, so for them to put in the added time and expense to hedge bets on whether a c-list actor would be returning seems very unusual to me.

It’s not just reshoots/alternate endings, they’ve obviously been taking the dude leaving into consideration for quite a while (blessing of book author, grooming of Josh as the new everyman, etc) which makes me wonder who was actually responsible for the final decision since it apparently wasn’t fully made even on the day they shot the finale.

These kinds of shows shoot their entire season before the air date. They probably told Syfy that it was in case of cancellation and might have even started that way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Unless the entire season was shot and wrapped before S4 started airing it wasn’t the case. They announced the renewal before the first episode even aired.

Judging from the scene they aired for S5 they planned that all along and meant for S5 to be a full repudiation of the whole chosen one thing that the books were originally about before the author fell in love with Quentin.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 29, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not unless they revealed they banged when Quentin was time swapped.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Doesn't Todd have it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Suave hiker dude is totally the Dark King, right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think that was just the special once a century full moon that your options were gently caress someone without the curse, kill someone or rip yourself apart. The normal times you could just lock yourself in a cage to get through it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are the two episodes a week going to be standard moving forward or was this just a special thing?

muscles like this! posted:

This is all wildly different. Season 1, 2 and 3 are similar to the books but there are still a lot of things different. Big thing is that the books are very much Quentin focused and the others are very much secondary characters.

Yeah, as for quality the books are kind of hit and miss. Lev Grossman is a critic first and a writer second and it definitely feels like he's ticking boxes that critics want to see at times. The show takes a couple story beats that were kind of sketchy in the books, calls them out and then addresses why they were sketchy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eltoasto posted:

I like Penny, but I feel like the show (or book) gave themselves a Hiro from Heroes problem in that he is too powerful for the plot and so he has to constantly be sidelined with bad hands or the library or now.

It's on the show not the books. Book Penny is basically Quentin Quire without the power or hands.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They've taken people that have never been seen again. They might not be killing them and they'll be a reveal that they're dropping them off on Earth or something.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Inspector 34 posted:

Kinda weird SYFY straight up spoiled a big part of Watchmen in a Black History Month commercial. I know it's been a while since it first aired but that was an odd choice for trying to tie together February and pop culture.

I thought it was weird too, but it's revealed in the second episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBpphDPQqc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oof, the article announcing said that ratings have been down 40% over last year, even counting 7 day pick up.