Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's a real pity season one sucked so much. I'd really like to recommend this show to people, but then I remember season one and I just can't.

I think it got better the last 4-5 episodes right around the haunted house episode. Once they were out of school the show got much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it theoretically sucks but we don't actually know what it means besides he has a sucky job. And half of it sucking is just his bad attitude.

Of course he is expected to kill himself if someone hexes him to try and get at a room full of evil books. So that sucks. But that's kind of the magical equivalent of your boss expecting you to work on Saturdays.

But I'd still say that puts him ahead of having spent his entire life having to drug himself into a stupor to ignore the voices in his head.

Nah, remember season 1, the librarian was excited that Penny was a traveller. He'll use this excuse to jump around to Earth and other worlds (and perhaps occasionally retrieve a rare tomb to keep in good graces, but in Magicians tradition he'll probably gently caress this up).

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

"No, I'm going to eat you. I'm a loving dragon, what did you expect?"

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

This dragon CGI is pretty well done for TV.

I thought they just copied the dragon from Shrek.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

You want to gently caress that librarian?

You want to lick her rear end in a top hat?

I do

:getin:

I like that they're keeping Julia a huge wildcard with everything that's happening. Even sans shade she still has a bit of caring for Quentin, even if it's slightly manipulative.

:sexception:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Except that those two were funny.

Especially the Fillory United (FU) Fighters, which was played completely straight by the Fillorians.

The only thing that could have made the Swayze questioning better was if the Knight and Eliot played out Swayze and Grey's dance lift.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I have to rewatch tonight's episode.

Why were Eliot and Quentin after the clock? To be the new Watcher Woman? Or was it their gateway to Fillory? (I literally spaced for a moment when Eliot and Quentin were together)

Lame that they let the young librarian die for arbitrary reasons. Both of the librarians were great foils in different ways for Penny. I want to know more about Kanye's book. (I guess she died "offscreen", so she could recover and climb out - I thought those humanoid statues were going to start loving poo poo up and be the reason they both died ala Doctor Who and the Weeping Angels, but budget).

I hope we find out what OLU does with Reynard. It was nice to see that shadeless Julia still does have some capability for humanity and mercy in her the last two episodes. Will Julia accept her shade back?

Loved Umber being addicted to :doink: and Fillory being reality TV.

Consequences for killing a god? Let's see what happens. I was really hoping for a "gently caress you" moment to OLU and shooting Reynard midway through OLU's explanation.

Edit: I call it "Cuba"

Eliot: "Ember's turned all the humans into rats"
Umber: "Oh, he's finally done it. Talked about it for years."

geeves fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 13, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of think Umber will show up and somehow (probably something Quentin did) Ember and Umber fight, presumably to the death. Then someone will shoot one of them, whichever one is revealed to be actually the bad one, and the other will be like "thanks". Unless Quentin has the gun in which case he'll probably shoot loving Alice accidentally instead.

Not before the orgy though, which at least in my fanfic is not very well censored.

Given that this is The Magicians, they will have some erotic bro-on-bro time that gods do. They will argue about Law and Order vs. The Wire (this is why we can't get along!) then Margo will just straight up murder Ember.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot this was on tonight.

/gets undressed and pulls up DVR menu

Edit: you are right the intro is amazing. Sit back and have a nice pipe of marijjjjuana and enjoy my opus

Every episode should have an intro to be narrated by Ember.

What a fun season. Julia may still have the god-killing bullet, too.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dessel posted:

Caught up to this episode and thread to see comments for this.

It would've made perfect loving sense drama-wise too seeing Renard is a trickster. It's the logical thing to do, Persephone could've​ been one of Renard's tricks and a case of the boy who cried wolf with Persephone witnessing her son die due to his own transgressions and nature. Could not fault Julia for wrongly calling the bluff.

It would've been poetry. Perfect scene wasted.

I don't think that, Lucas. I think it was OLU. Otherwise it makes quite a bit of tertiary characters' screen time and exposition worthless.

I need to re-watch, but Reynard already knew Julia aborted his heir, correct? So, what need did he have of her except maybe intrigue? At that point, Julia and Katie also destroyed his "legacy". What was the purpose of Reynard showing up at all a putting on a show?

Given Reynard, he may be a trickster, but he's also a braggart. He would opine how he got cute deaf west wing woman to divulge information, etc.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Julia willingly joined a group that pretty much had "sudden but inevitable betrayal" as their motto and Alice pissed of a powerful magical monster for shits and giggles.

She made a deal where she got power and someone else had to make the sacrifice, while it's not the most moral thing to do it isn't the dumbest either.

Did we watch the same show?

Julia joined a group of people who wanted to make their lives better - they wanted to help each other.

Who did Alice piss off at that point? We didn't learn that til the end of season 2.

As for Margo, I think Margo expected that after Eliot returned / prevailed they would be able to magic / negotiate the return of his child. Not realizing the rules are very different and despite magic, they do not hold the advantage.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ccs posted:

I just finished rewatching "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" and was itching for more magic shows, so i tried this out. It's better than I initially expected. They explained why the characters look older (grad school) but making Quentin into a chosen one that important characters talk about at the start is pretty obnoxious. And Alice's actress isn't selling her character at all.

Oh well, I'll probably watch some episodes out of a dearth of other things to see.

Having read the books, I felt the same. But keep watching, they deal with this nicely.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Can't wait - I like what they've done here and not ignoring some of the bigger plots of The Magician King and instead making it a consequence of the first two seasons.

Not a major spoiler that stopped magic in S2 vs books:

In the books, Julia and her friends get magic turned off because when they accidentally summoned Reynard, they summoned all the gods ("When you summon one god, you summon all the gods") and magic threatens to go out on earth because they're found out. Not a consequence of killing a god.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I think this is one of the first shows / movies to accurately portray rolling since Go.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dude's game is loving fire. He hosed a were wolf.

muscles like this! posted:

Season 1 had the invisible castle.

That was season 2 when Eliot got into the Dad/son role play.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

It looks like the biggest change with this season's story arc is that Eliot and Margot will actually be going on the Quest, which they sat out in the book.

I thought Eliot did quite a bit, it was just off page and summed up to Quentin when he and a character we might meet this season return to Fillory.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Margo continues to be best character on the show:allears:

Seriously.

I also love how sex-positive this show can be while still damning assault in smart ways.

Rocksicles posted:

Yep, she's not blonde though.

She was raven-haried, right?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Yeah, we already had three plots split between summoning Asteroth, resolving the Lamprey, and the pirates on the Muntjac. Where that door went will obviously matter, just not tonight.

I’m curious. If I remember the books right Quentin’s specialty is the magic worked on very small things. If we’re reminded of his Dad’s cancer too, maybe he’ll cure it?

Wasn't it something with watches?

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, blue eyes. I remember that from the audiobook, it doesn't sink in much if i don't read it

When the show first premiered I thought the actress who plays Julia was going to be Alice. But given Taylor-Dudley's performance as Alice, she's Alice.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, this episode owned, imo.

I don't think Penny's dead because he's still projecting, but he could be in the same kind of situation Elliot was in with the clay model last season.

Yeah you don't kill your best character. But I think it will be fun to see where they are going

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, like, this is The Magicians. There's no guarantee that a group of desperate people wouldn't try to vivisect her to work out why her magic still works.

Or that the fairies are on earth and probably now on their trail. Or the fairies in the investor's house are held there by magic and it will only be a bit of time before they're free.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I disagree. I personally needed the confirmation that they remembered. I thought that line, "We had a family," was really sweet.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Teeth, in my vagina? It's more likely than you think.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I was really digging Margot's little speech about how Elliott fell rear end-backwards into being high king while she have had to fight to get power. When I first started watching the show I wasn't really expecting her to be the one to call bullshit on the patriarchy (or that the show would have anything to say about the patriarchy or power structures at all), but here we are.

Margo might not have started out that way, but slowly she's been the one able to take charge since season 1, even when things are hosed up for her.

She's become my favorite character on the show mostly because you can see that she's loyal to a fault and that has caused so much havoc.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Not hard for Penny seeing as he was barely in the books.

And Margo is a much improvement on Janet in the books. as well.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know what you mean, but at the same time.. I feel like it's intentional.

She started out this nice, naive girl who didn't exactly have an arc to end up this ethically questionable ice cold rear end in a top hat, but her being a Niffin (SP?) really gutted her soul.

So yeah, she's far, far less likable these days. But frankly that Alice died and there's only a shadow left now and again, I feel like they know precisely what they're doing with that. The cleared sign being that little amused smile after frying the magical eel; not at vindication, or revenge but because she still just likes the pretty lights.

Like if you put Alice back to full power unchecked I'm not convinced she'd not just turn into Beast 2.0.

Alice is an antagonist on this show and I she's great. But I would argue that Alice was anything but naive. She came to the school with an agenda.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

This Harriet section being totally silent is a bold choice but I like it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Well Hale Appelman is pretty much the only one of them that can actually sing. They positioned Jade Tailor/Kady as being able to sing but it seemed kind of off to me, like they just dubbed her.

It was like they dubbed them with other people who really couldn't sing either.

Whalley posted:

Was that episode like thirty minutes or something? So many loving commercials jesus

Just as many as usual it seems. If you go back and look at hour-long shows, in the 70s and 80s they were up close to 50 minutes. They've been creeping down ever since, now they're 40-43 minutes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

I thought he was for this season.

Also he was offpage for a lot of books 2 and 3. While he was in the same class as Quentin and others, he didn't have the same prominence as everyone else.

But that doesn't matter - the show is better with this version of Josh. He's a great foil for the rest of the cast being completely up their own asses.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Josh was kind of a dick this episode.

I don't think so. If being a dick is calling people out when you think they've ignored (wronged) you and their response is to initially ignore your feelings and just go after what they deem important instead of having an conversation with you. Then yes, Josh was a huge loving dick.

But maybe I relate to Josh in the episode too much. I can relate to when people forget to actually include you for drinks or dinner and instead being an afterthought. For some of them a few days later asking, "why weren't you there?"

The indifference part strikes really true.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Whalley posted:

Especially when like, he isn't really one of their friends though, is he? He's just some guy with a totally different life who they met by chance, who tends to gently caress off and go get high whenever possible. Dude has been depicted in the show as being popular outside of the main characters, too; why the hell WOULD any of them spend much time on pandering to him.

That's not what Josh thought tho. The whole theme of this episode (as is a broader theme of the series) is that these magicians need each other if they want to succeed - that they shouldn't just write someone off and that to save the world (magic) they need to save each other. This show goes to some dark places, but it keeps that speck of hope alive.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wouldn't say the first season is awful at all, though honestly I think the whole show truly gets into gear when Julia is raped

Not downplaying this at all, but I think the horror episode at the Chatwin house Martin is raped. Eliot's response (then later juxtaposed with Julia) is when the show found its voice.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just said "gently caress" really loud.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, but will it be through incredible tragedy or will the incredible tragedy be the mind horror of having two souls inhabit one body?

Penny's new name will be Two Bits :rimshot:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

This show is fun. I’m really enjoying Julia’s ascension to godhood or whatever she is.

Julia becomes a (slight book spoiler) Dryad and if you saw the previews for next week, Julia creating a forest I think confirms the show is going to follow through with it. The show has pretty much hit the major plot points compared to the books, if even in a completely different way.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Atreiden posted:

I ment our Josh doesn't know what the quickening is. He banged a werewolf but up until now, he didn't know of any side effects.

Who was the were wolf or whatever in the dungeons at Brakebills in season 2?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

holy poo poo Quentin's son is Quentin's dad

I'll raise you: Ted's son is Ted's dad.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

Or he wants magic more than he wants his dad alive

He's hedging his bet that either he will be able to find a cure or perhaps Julia with her demi-god-like powers will be able to heal him and that his father won't be another Cancer Puppy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRbFTPbuoY

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I thought the episode did some cool segments, and of course I'll be back first thing next season, but I was kind of hoping for a monster that isn't just "A guy with glowing eyes." Oh well, cable budget I guess.

After this season I have hope they have something pretty solid planned and it being a child wanting to play is just something to throw everyone off.

I was worried that the finale would have been Julia's send off and Stella Maeve was leaving as what happened in the books going to find her tree on the flip side of fillory.

I would have loved to see more of Julia and Godhood, but I don't think OLU is done with Julia just yet; I think Julia will be rewarded again in some way, but she won't be OP.

Margo is really interesting at the moment just because she has a Fairy eye. I think she'll see Eliot / Quentin for who they really are and will snap out of whatever. Margo perhaps lead the charge to convince the others of danger while remembering she has a kingdom to rule.

I'm not a fan of amnesia plots by any means, but if The Magicians can pull off something similar to LOST in season 6 in bringing everyone together again would be pretty cool. I don't want it to be solved in the first episode or have to wait for the last. But if around episode 7 or 8 the band's back together, we'll be in good shape.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mycomancy posted:

The Magicians: Eat My rear end

Please mods. Please.

That's what I am hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

fortunately the writers can choose not to have people stabbed and killed until it works for the plot

Seriously. They also had the god-killing knife and left it in Beast Quentin's body.