Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mycomancy posted:

The Magicians: Eat My rear end

Please mods. Please.

That's what I am hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

DaveKap posted:

Except I didn't. The thing is, the amnesia ending is still a good ending. The only bad part about it is the expectation that it will somehow make the beginning of Season 4 bad. We haven't seen the beginning of Season 4, so we don't know if it's bad. The ending of Season 3, though, is good. Take into account what I said after that (benefit of the doubt because we though beginning of Season 2 would be bad) and, well, we have no reason to expect the beginning of Season 4 to be bad. Hell, take into account how fun alternate universe characters were and, if anything, the start of Season 4 should be amazing.

So... my actual conclusion is that the ending of Season 3 is really good and Season 4 should be amazing.

We've seen a lot of amnesia plots and I don't ever remember even a decent one. They effectively become new characters. This Penny isn't our Penny because we haven't followed his story and it is much different than the one we saw. I'm not very invested in him. Seeing the alternate characters was cool and it was fun, but that was with the expectation that we would come back to the ones we've been following.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Oh poo poo, I forgot that Julia's friend from the alternate universe is still out there, sans mindwipe.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WrightOfWay posted:

I think it was Margo that brought the gun on the first trip to Fillory.

It honestly seems to me that sometimes it's odd that half of the people in this show don't own like stab-vests (because let's face it, getting stabbed is a lot more likely than getting shot for them) and shotguns.

I mean I wonder that in other magical universes too but it's doubly curious here. I mean pool like 5,000 bucks and go to a freaking Wal-Mart. This isn't like some Harry Potter universe where technology and magic don't co-exist well; half the people here use smart phones.

Worst case scenario you could pretend to be Ash. But for real, most of the magical threats they run into.. they aren't doing poo poo against a shotgun. It'd take a God tier threat for that to be the case and given they can make God killing bullets.. yeah. Shotguns.

This goes 10x for the last episode since none of them had magic. 12 gauge is a sort of magic. Next time the smug library traveler shows up, blow his head off. Oh yeah and you can get a Stab Vest for like $400. Mostly prison guards use them but in Fillary it'd be like having magic armor that can't be stabbed through but is like 1/20th the weight of plate.

ED: Yeah I know it'd change the tone of the show but.. given the universe it takes place in it's just a little silly nobody does it. I know they didn't want to bring guns to Fillory in season 1 but I can think of several times that POV might have been a little outdated in 3..

ED: They should buy Fen a stun gun since she's not a wizard. It'd be kind of hilarious, and that I could actually see working with the show.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 7, 2018

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

fortunately the writers can choose not to have people stabbed and killed until it works for the plot

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Fen should undoubtedly use a Sten gun.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Penny 23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blue squares posted:

fortunately the writers can choose not to have people stabbed and killed until it works for the plot

Seriously. They also had the god-killing knife and left it in Beast Quentin's body.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot that Julia's friend from the alternate universe is still out there, sans mindwipe.
poo poo I forgot that and the fact they couldn't wipe Penny-40. Which means Penny-40 and Whatsherface could team up. The ultimate rear end in a top hat duo.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

geeves posted:

Seriously. They also had the god-killing knife and left it in Beast Quentin's body.

But could they have picked it up?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blue squares posted:

I have to admit if I heard the fairy queen got stabbed and killed in the season finale, I'd been like "Alright!"

Definitely one hell of an arc and a much better character than they first appeared.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Fairy Queen arch was... I dunno. I was never terribly invested in her personal growth, the fate of the faeries, or any of that. Julia's effort to save the enslaved ones and some of Fen's anger and resentment, aside. I don't know. The whole thing just fell flat and felt like an afterthought to me. A means to get Whatsherface magiced up and into the castle for that WTF ending.

It's probably more a testament to US gun culture and Hollywood violence but I've always thought in fantasy stuff that someone should just Rambo up with conventional weapons just in case. As long as it doesn't directly impede on you why not? If nothing else a big rear end shotgun should slow some bad guys down. Like I vaguely recall Buffy TVS having the day saved with a gun once and then never addressing it again.

But also I get it's a tonal thing and it doesn't really bother me.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

STAC Goat posted:

Like I vaguely recall Buffy TVS having the day saved with a gun once and then never addressing it again.

But also I get it's a tonal thing and it doesn't really bother me.

To be fair, it was a rocket launcher and it was brought up at least one other time. But yeah, I'm with you on most of the rest of this.

Gonna binge the season now that it's wrapped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They used guns a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Argh 2019. I can't think that far ahead.

BTW, I blew through this entire season in the past 3 days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not crazy about the Tesla thing and bringing in versions of characters from alternate timelines... the idea of the alternate timelines itself doesn't bug me as it fits with the story they've set up from S1, but when they use it to bring characters back it feels cheap, like there are really no stakes. Penny owns but Penny-23 has cast a real pall over the latter part of the season for me.
They've made it pretty clear that he's essentially a different person though. Like, they haven't brought Penny back, they've just got this new guy who's a bit like him. It's not like Arrow/Flash/LoT's magic herbs and lazarus pits and time travel shenanigans.

STAC Goat posted:

It's probably more a testament to US gun culture and Hollywood violence but I've always thought in fantasy stuff that someone should just Rambo up with conventional weapons just in case. As long as it doesn't directly impede on you why not? If nothing else a big rear end shotgun should slow some bad guys down. Like I vaguely recall Buffy TVS having the day saved with a gun once and then never addressing it again.
Wesley used guns for a while in Angel because of the higher proportion of demons rather than vampires. Demons were mostly vulnerable to all the same things humans are, so a gun worked fine. Buffy's vampires though aren't really worried by guns at all. They don't feel pain like humans do, they're super fast, and they're not really slowed down by injuries. Even a shotgun at close range is more likely to piss them off than kill them.

It would have made sense for the bad guys to have used guns sometimes, but most of the ones who specifically wanted to kill Buffy (rather than just preferring to avoid her attention entirely) had various reasons for not just shooting Buffy. Like, Spike specifically wanted to kill her in hand-to-hand combat, Angel wanted to torture her rather than kill her, a bunch of them were just really old and out of touch with the modern world. But even so, guns did show up quite a lot.

Woden
May 6, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The Fairy Queen arch was... I dunno. I was never terribly invested in her personal growth, the fate of the faeries, or any of that. Julia's effort to save the enslaved ones and some of Fen's anger and resentment, aside. I don't know. The whole thing just fell flat and felt like an afterthought to me. A means to get Whatsherface magiced up and into the castle for that WTF ending.

I wasn't invested in the build up but liked the ending, she'd do anything to save her people but was totally blind to the bigger picture. The deal was pretty WTF though, why didn't she pull something like that forever ago with some easily pliable human for magic beans or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tiggum posted:

They've made it pretty clear that he's essentially a different person though. Like, they haven't brought Penny back, they've just got this new guy who's a bit like him. It's not like Arrow/Flash/LoT's magic herbs and lazarus pits and time travel shenanigans.

Wesley used guns for a while in Angel because of the higher proportion of demons rather than vampires. Demons were mostly vulnerable to all the same things humans are, so a gun worked fine. Buffy's vampires though aren't really worried by guns at all. They don't feel pain like humans do, they're super fast, and they're not really slowed down by injuries. Even a shotgun at close range is more likely to piss them off than kill them.

It would have made sense for the bad guys to have used guns sometimes, but most of the ones who specifically wanted to kill Buffy (rather than just preferring to avoid her attention entirely) had various reasons for not just shooting Buffy. Like, Spike specifically wanted to kill her in hand-to-hand combat, Angel wanted to torture her rather than kill her, a bunch of them were just really old and out of touch with the modern world. But even so, guns did show up quite a lot.

Maybe it’s more a complaint on how fantasy creatures work but I just don’t buy the “a shotgun to the face doesn’t hurt vampires because they don’t feel pain” thing because whether they do or don’t feel pain is inconsequential when the shotgun will literally remove half of their head and put holes into the rest of it. Like supposedly lobsters don’t feel pain yet I’m pretty sure chopping off it’s tail with a hatchet is going to kill it, you know?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe it’s more a complaint on how fantasy creatures work but I just don’t buy the “a shotgun to the face doesn’t hurt vampires because they don’t feel pain” thing because whether they do or don’t feel pain is inconsequential when the shotgun will literally remove half of their head and put holes into the rest of it. Like supposedly lobsters don’t feel pain yet I’m pretty sure chopping off it’s tail with a hatchet is going to kill it, you know?

Lobsters aren't held together by magic and the soul of a demon. :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's wood chipper test. "Oh no blank can't be killed!!!" What if you put him in a wood chipper and make him into mulch?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

GreenNight posted:

It's wood chipper test. "Oh no blank can't be killed!!!" What if you put him in a wood chipper and make him into mulch?

This was done at least one time on Supernatural. Some super rare Shinto blessed blade was needed, they didn't have it, into the woodchipper the baddie goes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I always felt that way about Jason or Chucky.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Woden posted:

I wasn't invested in the build up but liked the ending, she'd do anything to save her people but was totally blind to the bigger picture. The deal was pretty WTF though, why didn't she pull something like that forever ago with some easily pliable human for magic beans or whatever.

She had absolutely no idea that other species / humans were capable of enslaving her people?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

cool kids inc. posted:

This was done at least one time on Supernatural. Some super rare Shinto blessed blade was needed, they didn't have it, into the woodchipper the baddie goes.

what happened?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Monster turned into a million pieces. The guys are lucky they don't play by Evil Dead rules.

It's just tough to fit a wood mulcher into the trunk of their car. But Supernatural scratches that "why don't you just use a ______?" itch I have. Like the first episode basically opens with "ghosts are hurt by salt so we loaded shotgun shells with rocksalt so we could shoot them."

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This show is literally run by a former Supernatural writer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok?

As I said, I recognize its a tonal thing.

Supernatural is a show about "regular guys" killing monsters so there's a lot of "regular guy" reasoning and approaches to what they do like shooting the thing with a big gun.

Magicians is a show about depressed/self absorbed people finding purpose and peace in their life through magic and fantasy so naturally fantasy and magic is their go to option for stuff.

Buffy was a show about teenagers juggling monster hunting with hormones and learning to make the right life choices so its kind of understandable why they didn't just keep a stockpile of assault rifles in the high school library.

Angel was a "grown up" version of Buffy that dealt with more big picture, dark themes so it makes sense that at least one character decided to strap up because all things being equal guns are more effective than swords.

As I said, I don't REALLY expect Magicians or Buffy to start going all John Wick on things. I get that that's not the shows they are.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No, I agree completely. I love this show, and have no complaints.

It's going to be a long wait until 2019, so I'm sure there will be a lot of rabbit holes to go down, discussion wise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't actually criticizing Magicians about the gun thing or the Supernatural comparison. Different strokes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

As I said, I don't REALLY expect Magicians or Buffy to start going all John Wick on things. I get that that's not the shows they are.

In the books there is a John Wick scene. The nice part is that it isn't a OP or permanent thing. The characters still gently caress themselves over.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Woden posted:

I'm not sure how the rules work for deals, but the "fairies have magic hunt-proof armor now" seems incredibly broad given what we've seen. Margo didn't seem like she was being forced by magic to comply to her arrangement. It could be magic armor since a level 50 fairy queen sacrificed herself for the deal, though.

I'm guessing either it's an easily broken deal that results in the fairy snorting woman getting magically vivisected and the queen let herself die to reinstate deals, or the magic squad are going to need to use a god / magic creature loophole to hunt fairies at some point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it was a weird deal. Like what happens if someone somewhere else entirely completely disconnected from Whatsherface decides to hunt fairies? Does a magic shield pop up because one person one time cut a deal for all non-faery people or does Whatsherface get punished for not policing the entire universe?

Fairy rules seem dumb.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Lupus Rufus posted:

what happened?

Well it was very effective.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I really don't like it when any show has a character who "lives forever" and comments on living forever in a very "it's not all it's cracked up to be" or "it's a curse, not a blessing" kind of way that they hold over normal mortals... and then another character who has the same affliction (vampire, god, whatever) manages to die in a simple way. Like say.. a vampire in a TV show who had a dilemma about biting someone to make them immortal, does it, and then kills them by putting them into direct sunlight. Like, okay, so direct sunlight actually does fully kill you... so why are you talking about living forever like it's something you don't want to do anymore? Go jump in the sun, dumbass.

Although it seems like The Magicians hasn't fallen into this hole yet, they did make it a point that the Librarian never leaves the library and yet we see her at Brakebills talking to Fogg. I can only imagine how much she hated doing that.

Also if Gods are supposed to make worlds... why was Fillory built on top of an already existing world? I'd like to get an answer to this via some sort of God hierarchy chart that explains who Ember and Umber's parents were, who gets to turn the magic on and off, and if Julia was gonna have to co-opt a failed world to make her new one off of. Honestly it still doesn't make sense considering Umber (or Ember? I forget which was which) had Cuba at the ready.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Although it seems like The Magicians hasn't fallen into this hole yet, they did make it a point that the Librarian never leaves the library and yet we see her at Brakebills talking to Fogg. I can only imagine how much she hated doing that.

I thought Fogg had travelled to the Library. It looked like the Library to me.

quote:

Also if Gods are supposed to make worlds... why was Fillory built on top of an already existing world?

I guess it's like shaping a sculpture but not making the plinth it stands on? You still made that sculpture, there's just other stuff it's using as a base.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ember was also a pretty lazy dude so he probably convinced his brother to take this lovely little volcano rock and make it more orderly because it'd be less work. :v:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap posted:

I really don't like it when any show has a character who "lives forever" and comments on living forever in a very "it's not all it's cracked up to be" or "it's a curse, not a blessing" kind of way that they hold over normal mortals... and then another character who has the same affliction (vampire, god, whatever) manages to die in a simple way. Like say.. a vampire in a TV show who had a dilemma about biting someone to make them immortal, does it, and then kills them by putting them into direct sunlight. Like, okay, so direct sunlight actually does fully kill you... so why are you talking about living forever like it's something you don't want to do anymore? Go jump in the sun, dumbass.

I loving hate that cliche.

Sure, immortality CAN suck. If you literally could not die no matter what you did, or found yourself in a situation where you're getting a Sisyphus style deal. But most of the time it's total bullshit. I've long held that a lot of these cliches in media - along with "We're not ready for super technology" and other things of that ilk are only there to make the viewer feel better about their lovely existence. I mean I really loving hate that cliche.

That said the funniest poo poo ever to me was Stargate SG-1 when one of those "we can't help you because we're so morally advanced" bullshit people got their asses completely handed to them and wiped out while smelling their own farts. Probably one of my favorite episodes of that series and marked the point where they stopped using that cliche. It's rare to get an "Immortality is great, sucks you don't have it" narrative, though.

ED: Probably Highlander is the closest, since their only downside is needing to occasionally have a sword fight every so often. I guess because they get ganked left and right and could probably just throw their head on a train track if they really wanted out they're less mopey about it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 9, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Supernatural is a show about "regular guys" killing monsters so there's a lot of "regular guy" reasoning and approaches to what they do like shooting the thing with a big gun.

It stopped being that (or watchable) when Bobby died and for the next like 5 seasons was an endless repeat of torture, secrets, more torture, betrayal, repeat with the worst villains ever.

And even there it's ridiculous they don't have more ordnance than the national guard by now.

Tiggum posted:

Wesley used guns for a while in Angel because of the higher proportion of demons rather than vampires. Demons were mostly vulnerable to all the same things humans are, so a gun worked fine.

Investment in a good flame thrower would have probably dealt with the vampire problem faster than cheerleader Kung Fu, to be honest

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 9, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
https://twitter.com/ArjunGuptaBK/status/983370137712635904

Arjun Gupta announced his engagement today :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It stopped being that (or watchable) when Bobby died and for the next like 5 seasons was an endless repeat of torture, secrets, more torture, betrayal, repeat with the worst villains ever.

And even there it's ridiculous they don't have more ordnance than the national guard by now.

Its obviously escalated over 13 years and gotten more than a little out of control, but like we still get really basic real world solutions like "set the possessed plush dinosaur on fire" or "toss a vampire into a wood chipper." Plus "Do I get to use the grenade launcher on this one finally?"

But I mean, yeah, its hard to hang onto your "core" after a decade or so of rising stakes and plot degradation.