Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I generally hate origins stories that have been done a billion times before so was happy they skipped wizard college poo poo and got to the meat of things. Still felt stunted though and they probably should have done a double episode opener instead of rushing so much.

Haven't read the books and so have no idea what it's about, while the pilot was weak I'll give it a few more episodes before pulling the pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The entire cast is just so good except for Quentin.

The Expanse has the exact same problem, a leader who is a cat herding paladin that hates fun.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The Magicians: Entitled Millennial Bullshit

Woden
May 6, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Holy poo poo, next week "The Musical Episode"

I think we found hell.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'm hoping the fairies get genocided via key theft.

Woden
May 6, 2006

NowonSA posted:

I agree that that are practical reasons it's needed, but it still seems clear to me that at its core they need it back because they've all experienced having the wild power to do whatever the hell they want and they need that thrill again.

At the start of the season sure but they've all grown somewhat since then.

Margot and Eliot just want to help their kingdom, they could have bailed way earlier and not made a deal with their biggest enemy but they stuck around and dealt peacefully with the fairies.

Julia levels up from helping people and seems fine with just doing that, she doesn't need magic back and is only doing the quest to help her friends.

Quentin got over the guilt that bringing back magic may kill his dad, so he's not doing it for selfish reasons.

Kady/Penny want to use magic to get back together.

Alice just wants power though.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What was the deal with the key paradox? It seemed like a set up where Q and crew would be bringing the second set to unchain the dude in prison but it went nowhere.

Agreeing with others not liking the ending though, Alice and the Deans quest to restore magic(again) isn't very appealing.

Woden
May 6, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The Fairy Queen arch was... I dunno. I was never terribly invested in her personal growth, the fate of the faeries, or any of that. Julia's effort to save the enslaved ones and some of Fen's anger and resentment, aside. I don't know. The whole thing just fell flat and felt like an afterthought to me. A means to get Whatsherface magiced up and into the castle for that WTF ending.

I wasn't invested in the build up but liked the ending, she'd do anything to save her people but was totally blind to the bigger picture. The deal was pretty WTF though, why didn't she pull something like that forever ago with some easily pliable human for magic beans or whatever.

Woden
May 6, 2006
"rolling council of pussy-phobic chuckle dicks" had me laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
A couple of episodes ago I wanted Alice banished from the show, but that speech and thing that she did with the memory wipe spell really turned my opinion around. Ya'll are haters.

Besides, they could always do some polyamory thing when Eliot is back anyway.