Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

Cook it in the oven. Also make sure it's fresh. Whole grains have protein and fat in them that can go rancid.

Basic recipe:

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups brown rice
1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter
3 cups boiling water

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place rice, salt, and butter in a casserole dish that has a cover. Pour boiling water over rice; stir.
Cover and bake in preheated oven until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven, fluff with fork, and serve hot.

is there a way to make it that doesn't require exponentially more energy than it contains? seriously, boiling the water and running an oven at 400 for an hour is way more of a carbon foot print than that poo poo can possibly be worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

I should break your goddamn nose. Carbon foot print indeed.

do you fuckers live on mercury or something? getting an oven up to 400, let alone 500 degrees takes -a lot- of loving gas. that's o.k.ish if you're cooking a lot of food, but for a loving pot of rice? a good dine dad leaves an inhabitable world for his dine children and dine grandchildren.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Thump! posted:

Why don't you just cook the dine over an open flame like lol what the gently caress is wrong with you? :confused:

congrats on not being able to follow all of a half pages worth of posts

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tardcore posted:

What kind of bitch doesn't have an electric stove.

yo yo yo my name is mc tardcore
and i cant sautee
cause i got an electric stove
and im gay

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tardcore posted:

My stove can sautee, but I am gay

then you can give me a blow job in the time it takes for one of your "burners" to heat up

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

how are the king oscars in olive oil and jalapeneo

that sounds good

I don't much care for them, the jalapeno flavor doesn't seem to spread very evenly. That said, with the exception of, like, brunswicks or cheap brands in water, which are universally terrible, you have to try it yourself to see. dine tastes totally vary by person.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bea Nanner posted:

Can someone link me to an impact analysis of (or otherwise describe) the long-term effects of dine oil on kitchen plumbing?

you don't put oil down the drain, dine, cooking or otherwise. you put it in a sealed container, like a coffee can and you put it in the trash.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bea Nanner posted:

yeah i dont give a poo poo about societies rules and i just follow it up with hot water for a while. holes are holes.

think of your drain like a pussy, you don't want to be putting oil based lubricants in it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

um... if you ever need to call a plumber to fix your poo poo because you poured oil down the drain the plumber is entitled, by the ancient concord of pluminion, to do the entirety of the repair work naked

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
wellllllllllllllll my toilet went crazy yesterday afternoo-oon
the plumber he says never flush a tam-poo-oon

Overwined posted:

Don't fight the outrageous ignorance of the infantile. The slow aching realizations of their own stupidity as they mature is punishment enough.

More to the point: Why toss out all that flavor? :confused:

think you pretty much toxxed yourself to post a video of yourself drinking all the oil out of a can of dines. do you drink the brine in the pickle jar as well? or eat that weird aspic that vienna sausages come packed in?

Sizone fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 17, 2016

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Overwined posted:

Tampoon: When you use your gf's tampons as pontoon boats for your Star Wars Action Figures while playing with them in the tub.

you've never actually seen what happens to a tampon when it gets wet, have you?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Overwined posted:

No, because I've only ever had sex with post-menopausal women. So much cleaner that way.

total concurrence there bud, hysterectomies are also pretty rockin'

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

czarmonger posted:

Edit: if anyone knows of some quality seafood establishments in the Bay Area, where a wider selection of brands is available, I would appreciate a heads up.

North Bay has G&G in Petaluma, they sell Riga Sprats, buy them by the case.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

NmareBfly posted:

The little grocery mart near my work has a decent little tinned fish selection. I keep thinking about trying some of the guys on the bottom right but am scared. Would doing so be a mistake?

Pretty much everything Goya makes is real gross, would not recommend

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

numberoneposter posted:

gonna ride my bike for three hours then eat fishermans eggers and a spot of beef tea to warm the bones with my training partner and bring her into the sardine school

or sever and find someone new to train with

the sardine school in tuna town

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DiggityDoink posted:

Anchovy and pepperoni is possibly the best pizza combo there is. Lil salty umami bombs in every bite.

it's actually linguisa and artichoke hearts.

there is a proper balance of salt, grease and acidic that must be obtained.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fonzarelli posted:

right now i'm smashing some smoked oysters on saltines with mustard

am i allowed to post in here?

only if you're famous

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Male Tears posted:

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

soak the fuckers in vinegar for a few hours first

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

oh god yes

here's some more vinegary prodad for you:

get a jar of mezzetta garlic and dill peperoncinis, eat the peperoncinis, you will be left with peperoncini and dill garlic cloves in the bottom of the jar. eat those, with dines

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
had to get an emergency can of chicken of the sea in hot sauce. it says on the can "the best sardines", whelp, at least that's settled.

e: man, what a mediocre can of dines. loose, light texture, oddly slimey, weird undine like bitter aftertaste. washed down with rex goliath chardonay, not my most sterling of dad moments.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 25, 2016

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AEMINAL posted:

I've been looking all over for fresh dines but man is it hard

Really wanna deep fry some dines and do that dipping sauce thing

pr'lly gonna be hard pressed to tell the difference between fresh dines and fresh any other small fish. smelts are pretty o.k. and should be everywhere

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

I miss dine cans coming with little keys

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
dine thread 2: men who buy sea food forks for their dines and the women who ridicule them

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

numberoneposter posted:

Conversely using the wrong tool for the job.

For example using anything other than a bottle opener to open a bottle of alcohol.

While I approve of the statement. the example is fallacious. There are dozens of things that will properly open a beer bottle like they were designed for that very purpose; lighters, table corners, your cousin's teeth, like, just to name a few.

Esposito posted:

in my defence, the fork was also a christmas gift

yeah, sorry, that wasn't even aimed at you, I was going to post that way before I saw your dine shot

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
so do you know how to whip or not?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

U don't know how to whip

dude's right. when I was a little kid my mom told me she peed through her toes

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

I teach you how to cook fish and this is how you repay me

dines are already precooked. fishaman egg is just reheating the fuckers. so, like, what is whip and how do you do it?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
thread for dads, rear end in a top hat, not granddads

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ya know, now that I think about it. eggs are to be cooked in a pan, all this 500 degree oven bullshit is meant to cover for someone who can't flip a loving egg. sheep-goats, we're pretty sure you can't whip, can you even flip?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
will you be a gay dad?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
my brain is always hard

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
TTs are 4$ a tin out here. Been slumming it with CotS and Bumblebee because I haven't had a chance to hit up Costco for an 8 pack of Seasons.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
brunswicks are the worst

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Male Tears posted:

Stupid question, but wouldn't the lemon juice make the cream curdle?

p sure it's like adding an acidic wine to a cream sauce. If your cream is warm, you add it slow and you're constantly stirring, it doesn't

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jimson posted:

Anyone here have experience eating this with a busted up mouth? Really wanna get down on some tiny rear end fish, but my dad said the worse pain he ever experienced was when a bone lodged itself into one of his cavities, and my mouth is ALL cavity.

your dad then has clearly never given birth

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

I for one think that is a very good dine pic

me too. only thing it's really missing is the action fork.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
don't eat the bones

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VendaGoat posted:

Or, eat the bones.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I AM A FAT LATIN MAMI

don't eat the bones

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gonna say it right now: cats don't deserve sardines and if you give dines to cats, you are squandering the precious gift of dine.

cats deserve....gravel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

pahuyuth posted:

Saw some jars of herring in wine sauce and herring in cream sauce (both refrigerated) at the grocery today. Anyone had anything like this? I love kippered herring but haven't had it any other way.

Get one, probably the wine sauce and try it out. Prepare to not exactly be overwhelmed but to have a generally agreeable preserved fish experience.

oh, and check the dates because people who read this thread are probably the only ones buying it.