Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ewwwwwww no!

and then his girlfriend tries them and loves it. My favorite part is 1:45 when the dad busts out laughing at his dumbass son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Since I got a car, Trader Joe is 5 minutes away instead of an hour (by bus). They're on the other side of the bridge, but no bus goes directly from my place to there.

I've eaten so much harissa in the past week.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

California Girl sardines in spicy tomato sauce trip report:

Bad. Real bad. The fish are very mushy and are, if anything, lower quality than Bumblebee. The sauce makes up at least half of the net weight, and it's also nothing special - like thinner ketchup. The taste of the fish isn't great; it's nondescript, generic fishiness.

I don't recommend this brand, even at the budget price of $1.54 for a 15oz tin. I'll gladly pay a dollar more for half as much KO Royal Mackerel.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hmm...

I wonder if a sardine vinaigrette would be good. Sardine oil, sherry vinegar, and some mustard emulsified and served on salad.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Male Tears posted:

Oh man, when I used to visit my boyfriend in Billings, we would go to Lucky's all the time. Me for the Bela 'dines and him for the bacon burgers. Great place.

Unrelated, I had to venture into a Walmart the other day and was stunned to find they had some fancy canned fish not available at my normal grocery store (Shoprite). Picked up 2 good looking cans. The salmon better be God-tier at $5.88.

I like Cole's mackerel a lot, about as much as KO mackerel, but I haven't had the salmon (though it was available, and a couple bucks cheaper than yours). I'm not a huge fan of salmon compared to other fish, but I still might pick up a can because of how good the mackerel was.

e: ^^^ Beach Cliff is cut-rate quality. It's my cheap brand of choice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Male Tears posted:

Update on the Cole's products:

SQUID GOOD. Ate it with garlic naan. 4 squid heads stuffed with rice, tomato sauce, and olive oil. I'll have get some more next time I have to go to Walmart.

SALMON BAD. Not worth the money. Tasted almost identical to the Bumblebee smoked tuna which is $3 less per can. Only difference was that this stuff was moister. It also looked and smelled like tuna.

Holy cow, the squid's great. I took a taste and decided they were a little lacking on their own, so I got out my tiny squeeze bottle of leftover balsamic reduction and squirted some on, then minced some parsley and added that. Maybe it'd be better heated, but these things are really delicious. Wonderful texture, too - not rubbery at all, which I thought might be the case.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm Crap posted:

overpriced cause those are some poo poo 'dines

Seconding this. I'll even take Bumblebee over Brunswick.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

cocoavalley posted:

Hi 'dine thread. I made an open-face dinacado sandwich, it was really good.

Well done, that's a really good looking sandwich.

For breakfast today I had some dines on an English muffin on top of avocado, with a little hollandaise over everything. Delicious. The lemon and egg flavor of the hollandaise was just perfect.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

jadebullet posted:

So what exactly is in a Royal Taster pack anyway?

Mine came with one tin of Royal Mackerel in olive oil, one Mediterranean Royal Mackerel tin, a coupon, and a sticker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I picked up some Trader Joe's kippers today. I'll report back when I try them. Their smoked 'dines are not great (but okay for $1.49), the boneless skinless ones are bad, and so are the unsalted spring water sardines. However, their harissa sardines keep me coming back. They also had tinned trout, which I will try next time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

The Snoo posted:

Ahhh I meant that the golden cross-pack ones I took a photo of are like ~$3.75 and the regular tins are about $2.59 here. :downs: They are quite expensive on amazon, yikes.

The amazon reviews for them say they're very small and very good so I'm assuming they're just higher quality (??????) or something.

I think the cross packs are smaller. I've had both at some point, but I've never compared them side to side.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

so i bought some mackarel in tomato sauce last time i went dine shopping

how the heck do i eat these, im afraid, kinda like the first time i tried dines

edit: im thinking of putting some on toast with a light smear of butter?? maybe cream cheese??? idk

KO and other brands also sell mackerel, usually in the same fashion as sardines. The flavor is a little lighter, the texture is a little more firm and meaty, and they're a little more dry. Eat them like you would eat sardines in tomato sauce - that is, liberally douse with hot sauce.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

now try them with some dijon mustard or sriracha spread on the cracker!!! 10x better

Lao Gan Ma

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Overwined posted:

So a thought occurred to me. Since I can get Alshark Moroccan Sardines in Spicy Oil and they seem not too easy to find on the internet and since sardines and gourmet canned foods in general seem oddly regionally distributed, I thought about maybe making a Google Sheet that we could fill out with what we want and what's available to us. That way if you want to make an exchange with another dadgoon, you can. Any interest in this? As I said, I have no problem setting up the sheet. The exchanges themselves would have to be organized goon to goon, though.

EDIT: Personally I would like to see exchanges that are considered equal by both parties and no money changes hands. You guys can do whatever you want, I guess. But it would seem better off in SA-Mart if that's what you want to do. Again, I'd rather just steer clear of it.

If you start an exchange like this, I'll gladly participate.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Trader Joe's kippers (they call them lightly smoked herrings or something? They're in a green tin) are some of the best I've had. Wonderful smoky flavor, no burnt or bitter taste, great texture. However, keep in mind that the skin is VERY DEFINITELY on there, and there's plenty of it. You get two big fillets per tin and each is split in two, so they're easy to break up or portion out.

I fried an egg Spanish-style (get more oil than you think is right way hotter than you think is sane, then crack an egg into it, 'poaching' it while continuously basting) and served it with some parsley, quick-pickled onion, couple spices. It was a great breakfast.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Lunch today was a tin of King Oscar royal mackerels mixed with diced capers, green onions, garlicky pickled cucumber+asparagus, mustard, and homemade mayo made with the oil from many tins of fishes all mixed together. I flaked the mackerels and mixed it all up into mackerel salad, then put it on some nice homemade sourdough with a layer of sprouts.

Very delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Have any of you sardudes eaten tinned squid or octopus?

Squid can be really delicious, but the three brands of octopus I've tried have all ended up with mixed quality. The smaller pieces toward the end of the tentacles end up really delicious and tender, but the larger pieces are tough and gummy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I used to go to Xian Famous (the one in Flushing in the mall basement, and the one down on St. Marks or wherever it was, I forget right now) in NYC so I didn't have to deal with that part of China to eat that part of China, which is nice. I mean, I'm sure the food at Xian Famous is maybe 70% at best of what you get in Xian but fucken China man.

Do you happen to know what goes into the sauce (other than the oil and garlic) in the video? I'm planning to dissolve a lump of miso in some soy and use that, along with some chili of some sort. The websites just have recipies for the stirfried eggplant that you can get (as far as I'm aware) anywhere in China but there's nothing to that, it's just garlic salt and a pitcher of oil.

I'm pretty sure the first thing he ladles on is laoganmao, but otherwise I've got no idea.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Okay, if nobody wants to trade any interesting 'dines or kippers for my two cans of Riga Gold sprat pate, I will mail them to a curious Goon who lives in the U.S.. First person to e-mail their mailing address to bigbadvoodoolou AT yahoo gets them! Even if you don't like it, a cat or dog will, I'm sure of it.

Email sent! Not sure if these were claimed already, but if not, I offered to mail him some regular 'dines in return (because there isn't anything especially interesting around me).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I realize I've never posted my 'dine collection:

I haven't sampled them all yet, but the Canarios are my favorites, so I'm stocked up for hurricane season!

How are the Iberia eels?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sprat pate arrived! Naturally, I made a burger and used it as a spread. Holy crap, delicious. Loads of lightly cooked onions, some really strong mustard, riga gold pate, some spinach, and a big meaty burger.

Tomorrow, I'm going to make a banh mi with this pate.

:yum:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

thathonkey posted:

how do y'all eat sardines on the go without making a huge mess of yourself and surroundings ?? need smoe tips

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

the yeti posted:

Is there anything actual useful to do with the oil from drained dines?1

Use it as a fishy oil. Garlic bread, eggs, mayonnaise, whatever you would normally do with oil can be done with 'dine oil. I have a container of mixed sardine oil in my fridge that I use for all sorts of things.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Because people are dumb and think you won't want it anyway.

I have the foolish idea in my head that dines + mustard would be way too salty. Seems enough people here dig it that I'll have to give it a shot. Luckily I always keep a jar of grey poupon on hand!

I don't get it. Dines aren't salty and mustard isn't salty. Where is this salt overload coming from?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pickapeppa sauce on Riga Golds :yum:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I have both of these things and will probably try this soon. Thanks!

Toss some grilled onions on there for bonus points.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I just won coupons and a free t-shirt through the latest KO giveaway! Can't wait for that fishy shirt.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

edit, rethought

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

We usually soak the lentils all day before cooking in a pressure cooker. Let it come up to pressure, then turn off the burner & release the pressure, then open the lid and stir. Repeat this maybe 3 times and you should be good.

Mix it with basmati rice. Take each bite with a little bit of plain yogurt and a little piece of mixed achaar. Goddamn good.

Don't forget a couple chatnis served alongside.

Also good instead of rice is idli. They take a day to make, but most of that time is just sitting. You'll need a blender for this, and if you know that yours is pretty wimpy (like a Ninja), you might want to skip this one. For what it's worth, I've made idli batter with an old Osterizer - the type with an on/off switch and a pulse toggle, nothing else. I had to do it in like four batches though.

Anyway, idlis are like a little plump heaven cake. Traditionally they're made with a particular sort of rice, but you can use anything you have on hand; it'll be delicious regardless.

It's also a good excuse to pick up urad dal, which is amazing. I'd sub 10-15% of the above moong dal for urad if you feel like mixing it up; urad has a strong, rich, earthy, deep flavor.

If you don't have an idli mold, don't panic - you can buy some corn husks in the Latino aisle of your supermarket and wrap it up like a tamale, then steam those. They're bigger, but the texture will be the same, and the flavor will be almost the same with a little bit of corn husk flavor. You can also take small bowls, pinch cups or whatever, fill them with batter, and steam.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Nominations for 2016 Dadliest Handfruit are in and I have early access to how the academy is voting. I just want to let you guys know that Gritty Small Yard Pear is almost neck in neck with Navel Orange With Half Inch Thick Skin. Gonna be a close one!

Kumquat. It's got a great name, it's easy to pick up a few and pop them into your mouth, they're delicious, and they are definitely handfruit.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I taught my dad what a persimmon was now he buys them by the box like a Chinaman

persimmons are incredible

You can bake with them, cook them down into syrup or pate, eat them out of hand... they're versatile, and delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

I tried some for the first time recently and thought it was bland as hell. What's the secret?

Buy better persimmons. Also, let them get more ripe - you want the squish to be like a tomato or peach.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool. Leaning that way now. What's the best way to do this?

Cut the fat cap off and tie it back on. Rub the outside in salt and pepper. Cook it in the oven until it's the same temperature throughout - a bit below the serving temperature. Take it out of the oven, take the fat cap away and feed it to your dog or something, and sear it on all sides. Make a pan sauce out of the fond.

LET IT REST this is important

Slice. Serve with the pan sauce or horseradish or hot mustard or all of the above. Become widely acclaimed.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 6, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Prime rib roast imo

1) unwrap it the day before and place on rack in fridge so it dries out
2) set it out the morning you plan to cook it, give it at least a few hours to warm up, but eight isn't an issue for larger roasts
3) heavily salt it, pepper it normally, about 30 mins before you put it into a 225 degree oven
4) you need a thermometer, preferably one that you can leave in and that will beep when a set temp is reached, it costs way less than the roast so just get one
5) probe goes in the middle, set it to 133.
6) 4-5 hours or so later the roast will be roasted. Remove from oven for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 500. Return roast for ten minutes to color the outside fully. This should be on a rack and if the fat cap is on, which is fine imo, the fat goes on the bottom for this step.
7) you've already rested the roast, it's ready to be brought to the table / carved right after the sear

The amount of fat in a prime rib roast makes trying to use drippings for sauce inconvenient imo, if you want a jus or whatever buy some discounted ribs or something and torture them in a pan, deglaze.

You should try the reverse sear. It's recommended (and was invented) by Saint Kenji, and aside from that it's a pretty awesome technique that I've had better results from than any other roasting method. I've done it the way you described, and it was truly delicious, but stovetop searing gives you a lot more maillard in a lot less time, which means less overcooked area around the outside and a better crust.

The reason to cut off and tie back on the fat cap is because that way you still get melted fat all over the roast while it's cooking, but the last slice won't be super fatty. It's just more manageable to deal with cold fat than hot fat.

You can get all the jus you need by deglazing the fond left in the searing pan. You can also pour off most of the prime rib fat and sear in the same pan, but on the stovetop because that way you get a lot more heat. You'll get even more fond that way, so it might be a good idea anyway.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

My Man Shran posted:

Fellow Sardads, I have received my case of King Oscar Spanish Style dines.

Notes:
-The original shipping label to amazon from the supplier shows that these are distributed by Bumblebee.
-There is barely any carrot in the tin, and I have yet to find a pickle 3 tins in.
-For a boneless/skinless dine, these are pretty okay. They are less tuna-y than other boneless/skinless dines.
-There is a nice pepper flavor to the oil, but I wouldn't quite call it spice.

Not quite the life changing experience I had hoped, but still drat good.

My Royal Taster box arrived today, and I agree: it's very good for boneless skinless, but overall meh. I had one tiny piece of carrot in the tin and one pepper (which wasn't hot when eaten whole, but very flavorful). Overall this might be my new favorite skinless boneless tin, but on the whole I'd still take a good tin of skin-on bone-in. I wish they made this flavor in tiny whole 'dine form, like the Mediterranean.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

nawcom posted:

more proof that boneless/skinless are no doubt inferior. let's be honest now.

it's indisputably true

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Canned octopus is actually very good and pretty light in flavor. Fairly chewy. Great straight out of the can or dumped in a salad.

Agreed, but eel is not. Don't buy tinned eel. You'll regret it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I picked up a tin of the Chicken of the Sea "New & Improved" sardines. I do not recommend them. They're skin-on, spine-in, and packed in oil, but they're awful otherwise - no texture or firmness whatsoever, they're almost a paste in the shape of sardines. At least, the tin I got was. The flavor is slightly bitter, not meaty or clean at all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Ceciltron posted:

No sir it ain't, but when you're trying to season a pan over the course of a time and it keeps getting washed and scrubbed, well, you ain't got much. They took a brillo pad to it, Joe! THEY SCOURED MY SEASONING RIGHT OFF.

:negative:

If your seasoning doesn't survive scrubbing with a brillo pad and soap then you need to season your pan better. It's not hard, just apply the barest bit with a paper towel, stick it in an oven until it smokes dry, and repeat a few times.

My roommate has put my 8-9'' cast iron skillet through the dishwasher and it came out with the seasoning perfectly intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I just tried a tin of Trader Joe's smoked trout. Delicious! They're lightly smoked, not like a kipper, so more of the great trout flavor comes through. The meat is substantial enough to stand up to cheese and crackers; it reminds me of crab meat to be honest.