Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After meaning to add until uninteresting reviews of various ‘dines t o this thread I am posting a warning. Iberea Sardines in oil are incredibly bad, I think they are horizontal slices of eel rather than head/tail-less sardines. Also they tasted bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After meaning to add until uninteresting reviews of various ‘dines t o this thread I am posting a warning. Iberea Sardines in oil are incredibly bad, I think they are horizontal slices of eel rather than head/tail-less sardines. Also they tasted bad.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I am ecstatic to tell everyone in this thread that there is a best sardine. Yet I am as shocked and disappointed as any of you that are not me, and failed to find it.

On December 23rd, an ‘International supermarket’ opened by my house, unfortunately I was sick as hell at the time, but a month later I visited, looking for cool stuff, including ‘dines. First trip ended up with 11 cans of Adriatic sardines that were huge and bland not tasty, often in a way that felt ‘overcooked’. So I wondered why I bothered to buy anything other than King Oscar Brislings.

Last week I went again and picked up another 9 cans of sardines, all of which were OK, except for one that was amazing, Yesterday went back and bought 4 cans, two of each olive oil and normal olive oil, and mean these are amazing. The top is transparent and shows the amazing little brisling fishies:

No info other than distribution by Interpage NY, Brooklyn.

The quality of these above King Oscar Brislings is like the quality of King Oscar Brislings over rando dollar-store sardines. Note that I love dollar store sardines (see Titus, Nuri, etc).

Note that they were $3.99, so they should have been better, but there were several nicely-packaged giant Adriatics for $3 or so that they were the same or worse than Titus.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

shame on an IGA posted:

so interpage is an importer… those look to be Brivais Vilnis from Latvia
Fun stuff an that page, gonna check for Fried sprats in carrot-curry sauce next time I’m back.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Peanut Butler posted:

rn my favorite cheap dines are Nissui packed in miso paste, about $2 at my local east Asian market- fkn delicious as an ingredient, basically comes with concentrated miso soup, so dump it into some broth and you got a hearty stew going
Just tried the ones in the yellow can, the miso one straight up, and you’re right. It’s like they’re designed to go in a bowl of dashi. I’ll do that next time.

Red can, the sweet soy flavor, is OK, but not good enough to try again.

It a really bothers me that I never ate sardines from the can with chopsticks before, it seemed to damned obvious when I was looking at these cans.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Found a can of cod liver in a polish market, I’m going to the next step fellas, see you on the other side.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Having fun with the variety of Philippine sardines. Most of them aren’t great but are always skin on, some with really good skin texture even in a lousy sauce.

Tito Mikes OWNS though, the Spanish Style in spicy corn oil is utterly amazing, https://www.titomike.com/products.htm . Beat out every Nordic or polish non-brisling brand I’ve tried so far, even the expensive ones, so I clearly need to go back and revisit them to rebase my scores. Had Riva Gold smoked sprats the same night, and they don’t compare, which surprised me, I’m a fan of brislings and assumed sprats would be similar.

Also a pro tip, if it comes in a jar that implies multiple servings.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is there any fancied-up version of Vienna sausages like there are for sardines?
There are plenty of canned or bottled German sausages, but I don’t think fancy could be used to describe them. I’ve tried a couple, and, well, the best thing about Vienna sausages is that they come in a small can, so you’re done before the novelty wears off.

There is however canned pate which is a whole other ball game, and can be great; canned pork pâté is, I’ve been told, a key ingredient in a real banh mi.

Upthread I mentioned my purchase of a can of cod liver - I went all out and made a pate of that and smoked oysters, result was actually terrible, inedible. Next time I’m near that polish market I’ll try again and just have them on a matzah or something.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 2, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ethnic grocery stores are the best places, Eastern European, SE Asian, African, wherever you go canned little fishies are an affordable transportable protein source. I got lucky; there’s a a new branch of an ‘international market’ that opened not far, it’s in a huge old Target and it’s got aisles with different countries, leading the things being all over the place.
Two of the more photogenic shelves:

My turn for questions, first, is this worth it?

Second, what is this?

Edit: Yeah it’s https://justasianfood.com/collections/filipino/products/marka-hipon-salted-fish-sauce-padas-12oz but how is it used?

Remulak fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 10, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Don’t they peak at like 3-4 years?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After watching that YouTube video repeatedly I just ordered a multipack of Nuri, arriving before 7am. Gonna be a great Saturday breakfast!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol, I’ll order a can shipped from Japan, that will have also made it around the world.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Radio Nowhere posted:

I love my preserved fish but have my limits. A whole jar of salted anchovies, this guy is hardcore.

You mean a frozen pizza? They all get a can -2 (for snacking).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man here are the first sardines I encourage everyone to avoid. Slimy, bad texture, boneless, seem to be skinless, but worst of all just gross; sugar is the second ingredient!

I’m seriously now afraid to touch my cabinet of new ‘dines. I’ll get over it, but man the texture was every step-brother’s “joke” about bait, and the sugar made me so nauseous.

Yeah, either avoid these or make a fun challenge I’ll look at some other day, maybe next week:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve done a couple of Filipino sardines dishes where the tomato sauce is drained, the fish are rinsed(!) then used to make basically crab cakes, then the sauce is reused.

It turns out well, then you realize that these same, pretty good, canned sardines are a major source of protein in the Philippines and encouraging their export increases their domestic prices.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Myron Baloney posted:

I just learned something, Swedish recipes that get translated and include "anchovies" often mean these things, they generally use them as an ingredient rather than eating them out of the can. Might have to snag some to try to make an authentic sauce for Swedish Meatballs sometime.

I now feel like puking just from the reminder. It’s remarkable how terrible these are, my kids literally begged for sugar-covered dried anchovies at one point (the point was when they were cheap).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

hazardousmouse posted:

https://www.alisoneroman.com/recipes/caramelized-shallot-pasta

I've been shocked that none of the anchovies I've been buying have tasted like the stuff they put on pizzas

Yeah the only grownup fistfight I’ve had (meaning one wherein I didn’t fold over after some random dude emptied my lungs with a punch when passing me on a Juliet, Il sidewalk) was when I worked at a pizza place and some dude didn’t put the anchovies away.

Pizza store anchovies are not respected or stored right, so they turn into gross fuzzy salt monsters.

Spend $6 on a jar of Ortiz choves and drape one over each piece of pizza you or other cool people eat.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You finished last; eat the cracker.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Microwave small potato with a little water covered tightly 2 min, then break up and crisp in olive oil, add one egg, s&p, 2 large ‘dines with skin and bones (of course), few pickled Jalapeño slices. Microwave 4 corn (of course) tortillas wrapped in wet paper towels inside a sealed ziplock back for a minute (The Bayless Trick). Serve with a little salsa, hot sauce, and if you have (I didn’t) onions/cilantro/lime. Two hellya breakfast tacos.

I almost never eat breakfast but this came to me in a dream, and I made it and it ruled.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

I guess, if you’re out of duck fat
Good idea in general, but in retrospect I put a chunked Spanish tortilla with sardines inside Mexican tortillas, olive oil was correct.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

Let’s compromise with a recommendation for use of lard.
If it's the good poo poo you get from a Mexican grocery store, hellya.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is that a goddamned goldfish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The one firm that packs sardines that way under 100 different names always produces a great product. Small, skin-on circular container, transparent top.