Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Saucer Hovers posted:

they got a robot waiter there
death to ai but its 82nd so ill allow one non human waitstaff

My Brother's Crawfish down the street also has a robot waiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

PokeJoe posted:

Smelt are also good like that. Or deep fried :yum:

When i was a kid i used to go with my grandpa to the river during the smelt run and spend the evening catching them with a dip net. We would come back with gallons of them and feast on unlimited breaded fried fish. It was great.

He's been gone for several years and i really wish i had asked him the location of the smelt.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dig deep in your memories. you must find the fish

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

AEMINAL posted:

Lmfao picturing a bunch of dried fish in a zip lock on the shelf with a hand written price tag

there was no price tags and some of the bags were just open

edit: but they were on a shelf!

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 21, 2023

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

titties posted:

When i was a kid i used to go with my grandpa to the river during the smelt run and spend the evening catching them with a dip net. We would come back with gallons of them and feast on unlimited breaded fried fish. It was great.

He's been gone for several years and i really wish i had asked him the location of the smelt.

I too grew up in the smelting bonanza. The smell of bonfires, old pickup trucks, wet dog, dead fish, and Budweiser. A man put an old bathtub in the trunk of a Buick for his smelt. Another just dumped it into the trunk itself. So many smelt the dip nets would burst and shower the river in silvery fish. The hours of gutting smelt with a little pair of scissors. Oddly enough I don't remember eating them.

There's still a run in some rivers around me, but it's usually a late cold night for a gallon of fish.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

titties posted:

They're probably not there anymore in any numbers depending on where this is, smelt populations are way down in the Great Lakes watersheds of the United States & Canada, mostly on purpose for management or in some places by overfishing. They were an introduced species there and hosed ecosystems up to some degree. They're still common in most of their original waters of the Atlantic and Pacific drainages.

I remember my dad coming home with garbage cans full and we'd all have to help gut them, this was in the early seventies when there were still Smelt Festivals with a Smelt Queen in a few towns. I think Duluth tried to revive the tradition and had a Smelt Pope last year.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 30, 2023

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I got some Vigo squid in oil, it's real tasty plain but I saw so many recommendations to use it as an ingredient I had to try

Seafood Rice with canned squid and clams for landlocked people without any money

2 cups short or medium grain rice (I used calrose) don't bother to wash the rice as you would for boiling/steaming.
2 cans Vigo squid in oil (if you find the chunks of squid too chewy, cut them a bit smaller), oil drained and reserved
3 cans chopped clams, juice drained and reserved
1 med onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
2 cups clam broth (I used better than bouillon clam stock base, chicken stock or jarred clam juice or water will do)
1 cup roasted & peeled red bell pepper, chopped (jarred is great)
sweet paprika
saffron - just a few threads, and not absolutely necessary
salt and black pepper to taste (you shouldn't need much added salt)
herbs, optional and to taste, for example a small bit of rosemary or tarragon might be good
parsley for garnish

Preheat oven to 400F

In a 12" or 14" skillet, use the squid's oil to saute the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft. I used all the oil from both cans, 1 would be enough, 2 was maybe a bit too oily but gave the dish great flavor. The oil from 2 cans would be just right for 3 cups rice if you have a huge pan and are feeding a crowd. You need a big pan as this has to cook in a fairly thin layer in the oven.

Add the chopped tomato, the spices and cook 1-2 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with fat over medium-high heat for a minute or two

Add the juice from the clams (each can has about 3/4 cup of liquid) and enough extra broth to total 3.5 cups (I had 2.25 cups of clam juice and added 1.25 extra broth, have some more in reserve to adjust while cooking). Bring to full boil and move to 400F oven, uncovered.

Cook 15 min, check for liquid and rice tenderness, add more liquid if it's already dry at this point. I had to use a total of 4 cups of liquid overall. At the finish you want the rice just tender and starting to crisp up on the edges and bottom and the liquid completely gone.

Add the clams and squid (small chunks of raw cod or whole shrimp would also be good, as would precooked limas, green beans, peas, canned artichokes etc). I try not to overdo the quantity or variety of meat or vegetables, this dish is mostly about the rice. I used to love chicken and sausage in any paella-type thing but I'm starting to find that less is often better (and cheaper). I level the top with a spatula after adding stuff but don't stir the rice, that way the parts that'll get brown do so quicker.

Cook 5 more minutes, check, cook 5 more if rice isn't tender enough or there's too much liquid left or you want more browning and crunch on the edges, repeat if necessary. It's easy to mess with it until it's right, but hard to predict when it'll be done.

Pull from the oven and allow the pan to rest for 5-10 minutes before you dig in, the bottom crust sets better that way.

titties
May 10, 2012

Myron Baloney posted:

They're probably not there anymore in any numbers depending on where this is, smelt populations are way down in the Great Lakes watersheds of the United States & Canada, mostly on purpose for management or in some places by overfishing.

As Yooper might have surmised above, this was in Michigan's upper peninsula in the late 80's and early 90's so yeah, i doubt they still exist there quite like they did back then.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After meaning to add until uninteresting reviews of various ‘dines t o this thread I am posting a warning. Iberea Sardines in oil are incredibly bad, I think they are horizontal slices of eel rather than head/tail-less sardines. Also they tasted bad.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After meaning to add until uninteresting reviews of various ‘dines t o this thread I am posting a warning. Iberea Sardines in oil are incredibly bad, I think they are horizontal slices of eel rather than head/tail-less sardines. Also they tasted bad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Sardine avocado kimchi toast is one hell of a good time, I tell ya what

might throw a fried or poached egg on top next time

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 12, 2023

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I've got gochugaro, jars and fermenting lids. I'd had this combination of items for more than a year. I should pick up a head of cabbage and make some kimchi

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm honestly surprised you don't already have vats of the stuff

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
the grocery outlet is pretty good about keeping it in stock, so I haven't had a pressing incentive to start making it myself

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

isaboo posted:

Sardine avocado kimchi toast is one hell of a good time, I tell ya what

might throw a fried or poached egg on top next time

Everything is improved by a fried egg on top.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I got a 5 liter fermentation crock for Christmas and the only thing stopping me is eating the rest of my last huge batches

titties
May 10, 2012

withak posted:

Everything is improved by a fried egg on top.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Voice of Labor posted:

I've got gochugaro, jars and fermenting lids. I'd had this combination of items for more than a year. I should pick up a head of cabbage and make some kimchi

Once you got your kimchi game down, you can start experimenting with different cabbages. I like using brussel sprouts to make kimchi.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Soul Dentist posted:

I got a 5 liter fermentation crock for Christmas and the only thing stopping me is eating the rest of my last huge batches
I have one I've barely used, made cold brew in it once with cheese cloth bags.

The hot sauce thread has converted me into weigh your salt % by weight and add to the ferment material then vacuum seal bags it.
If the gas gets to be too much cut the bag then reseal.

1/2 of my aged emergency dines were skinless boneless I got on accident from Costco and I don't like them as much. They would be good for baby's first dine if they were squeamish, but I prefer the skin and bones flavor profile.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I will ride or die for radish kimchi being the king of kimchis.

But I’ll eat nearly any homemade kimchi because who the hell doesn’t like fermented brassica, smoky pepper flakes, and fish sauce?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh my. My oh my, lookit what I've found. I don't recall this being mentioned in the thread but I'm old and brain damaged. Anyway have a gander

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product-category/conservas/by-seafood-type/

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product/ali-hookes-12-days-of-fishmas/

Is this... is this sardine heaven?

Have any of y'all ordered from here?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
my old missus she's mad at me

'cause I had to wake her up when I forgot my keys

supper today will be a can of 'dines

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
pretty sure the world's going to end in 2024 'cause the best if eaten by dates on all my 'dines is 2025

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I am ecstatic to tell everyone in this thread that there is a best sardine. Yet I am as shocked and disappointed as any of you that are not me, and failed to find it.

On December 23rd, an ‘International supermarket’ opened by my house, unfortunately I was sick as hell at the time, but a month later I visited, looking for cool stuff, including ‘dines. First trip ended up with 11 cans of Adriatic sardines that were huge and bland not tasty, often in a way that felt ‘overcooked’. So I wondered why I bothered to buy anything other than King Oscar Brislings.

Last week I went again and picked up another 9 cans of sardines, all of which were OK, except for one that was amazing, Yesterday went back and bought 4 cans, two of each olive oil and normal olive oil, and mean these are amazing. The top is transparent and shows the amazing little brisling fishies:

No info other than distribution by Interpage NY, Brooklyn.

The quality of these above King Oscar Brislings is like the quality of King Oscar Brislings over rando dollar-store sardines. Note that I love dollar store sardines (see Titus, Nuri, etc).

Note that they were $3.99, so they should have been better, but there were several nicely-packaged giant Adriatics for $3 or so that they were the same or worse than Titus.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Remulak posted:

I am ecstatic to tell everyone in this thread that there is a best sardine. Yet I am as shocked and disappointed as any of you that are not me, and failed to find it.

On December 23rd, an ‘International supermarket’ opened by my house, unfortunately I was sick as hell at the time, but a month later I visited, looking for cool stuff, including ‘dines. First trip ended up with 11 cans of Adriatic sardines that were huge and bland not tasty, often in a way that felt ‘overcooked’. So I wondered why I bothered to buy anything other than King Oscar Brislings.

Last week I went again and picked up another 9 cans of sardines, all of which were OK, except for one that was amazing, Yesterday went back and bought 4 cans, two of each olive oil and normal olive oil, and mean these are amazing. The top is transparent and shows the amazing little brisling fishies:

No info other than distribution by Interpage NY, Brooklyn.

The quality of these above King Oscar Brislings is like the quality of King Oscar Brislings over rando dollar-store sardines. Note that I love dollar store sardines (see Titus, Nuri, etc).

Note that they were $3.99, so they should have been better, but there were several nicely-packaged giant Adriatics for $3 or so that they were the same or worse than Titus.

so interpage is an importer that works with Russian, Ukrainian and baltic suppliers to get exclusive us distribution rights and private-label the products.

Fortunately they are very lazy about rebranding the underlying packaging, those look to be Brivais Vilnis from Latvia

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

shame on an IGA posted:

so interpage is an importer… those look to be Brivais Vilnis from Latvia
Fun stuff an that page, gonna check for Fried sprats in carrot-curry sauce next time I’m back.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Wife got me this for valentines day. She's a kipper. :unsmith:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Fried Rigas in tomato for a buck fifty? What the hell, I'll try one. Not sure what these want, over pasta maybe? Seems like they'd be too wet for toast or crackers.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not sure if there is one in Minnesota but if you can find anywhere with a decent sized Portuguese community (or just ask a Portuguese person) they'll send you in the right direction for sure. That's like a staple Portuguese thing.

We really don't have a Portuguese community up here, afaik.

I'll have to ask if the Caribbean grocer has frozen sardines next time I make it over there. Seems like something they might carry but I've only glanced at the freezers full of fish.

Highly recommend anybody around MSP that like hot sauces give it a visit. It's so much cheaper than "white people" hot sauces from the mall or mail order. >$3 for a 5oz bottle. $10 for a scorpion pepper sauce that would sell for $15/5oz on heatonist.

Galaxy Foods International
(612) 861-7410
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HmWJ6qLuQWUBgCai9

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

isaboo posted:

Oh my. My oh my, lookit what I've found. I don't recall this being mentioned in the thread but I'm old and brain damaged. Anyway have a gander

Yes, it's sardine heaven. I've mentioned it in the thread before but it's good to see it pop up again. Also check out https://tincanfish.com/

Dan from RTG is loving awesome. Just a huge sardine fan. Decided to put some tins out at his tomato stand and surprisingly they sold really well.

He's the one that figured out Nuri has two different distribution systems in the US. The older system only distributes to Asian grocers and the newer system is for everybody else. Dan's wholesale cost for Nuri is a lot higher than the Asian grocers' retail price.

The Voice of Labor posted:

pretty sure the world's going to end in 2024 'cause the best if eaten by dates on all my 'dines is 2025

You're confused. That's the "best after" date.

naem
May 29, 2011

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

José sardine spiced sardine pate & some Pan Tostado from Bar Moruno. We would've ordered more sardines but we also got their Sunday lamb rotisserie.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
nice 'dine pate.

FREE NAEM!

if someone wants to bed down a hot senior citizen, mod have no right to judge them

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the Wild Planet 'dines at costco are incredible. a hint of smoke, big ol dines that only fit three in a can, these are better than KO.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cousins gave me this package of fried squid when I visited them in San Francisco. Tasty, but not as crispy as I'd like.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Not exactly sardines, so I apologize, but I friggen love 'white anchovies' in lemon and either olive oil or brine.
So friggen good. I rarely spoil myself w/them though. I should more often but holy moly can they be costly.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

isaboo posted:

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product-category/conservas/by-seafood-type/

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product/ali-hookes-12-days-of-fishmas/

Yes I did once, just for a splurge on things I wanted to try once. Their pricing seems fair, they figure out shipping individually on each order and let you know what it'll run to minimize cost, and they pack the poo poo out of everything. I might break my vow of 1x only to get some more of the Olasagasti Basque style anchovies. I guess I don't have another source for sardines in miso or shoyu either so actually I'll be ordering again for sure.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Myron Baloney posted:

Yes I did once, just for a splurge on things I wanted to try once. Their pricing seems fair, they figure out shipping individually on each order and let you know what it'll run to minimize cost, and they pack the poo poo out of everything. I might break my vow of 1x only to get some more of the Olasagasti Basque style anchovies. I guess I don't have another source for sardines in miso or shoyu either so actually I'll be ordering again for sure.

Who wants to guess what THIS is?

It's chicken/pork for Washington D.C.'s football team as part of their dinner

This is what they give their multi-million each players because nothing says 'keeping up with your investments' like that does

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 2, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's not a sardine at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BigBeefCity posted:

Not exactly sardines, so I apologize, but I friggen love 'white anchovies' in lemon and either olive oil or brine.
So friggen good. I rarely spoil myself w/them though. I should more often but holy moly can they be costly.

There’s a tapas place near my house that does boquerones and they’re phenomenal. I’ve never actually tried them outside of a restaurant context though.