Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
We'd like to be able to spend time 'together' more often even though we basically only see each other in person on the weekends. I got a free copy of FF14 and brought it up as a good way to hang out during weekday evenings and even mentioned that our characters could get married, which she thought was just darling. She's not a real huge gamer but she grew up on PC games like Myst and enjoys Mario Galaxy and Minecraft sometimes. Anyway turns out neither her laptop nor internet is up to the challenge of FF14, so I told her I'd find something else. Here's the checklist for what I'd like in a game for us to enjoy together:

+ Character marriage is possible
+ Free to play or one time payment if possible (it wouldn't help our finances if we're both paying for game subscriptions)
+ Not really crappily translated. She's an English teacher and just imagining her playing one of the really badly translated free Korean MMOs makes me wince. I don't mean no translated Korean MMOs, just none that are completely nonsensical in English like some of them are.
+ A clear flow to the game. I'd like something WoW-esque where the game kind of holds you by the hand from one quest hub to the next.
+ Can run on most anything, the filesize isn't massive and it doesn't require an amazing internet connection. She can do Netflix and stuff fine, but when I tried to get her the FF14 benchmark it was going to take 5-6 hours to get a 1gb file.
+ Maybe some kind of non-combat element, such as crafting/homemaking to enjoy? She really liked playing Minecraft and building a home together, so that would be nice to do in another game as well.

Suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as well as maybe tips on how to make sure a complete MMO newbie enjoys her first experience with the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
This is a textbook Lord of the Rings Online situation. It takes its cues from the books, not the movies, and, boy, does it take them seriously. If you start as a hobbit (always start as a hobbit!), your beginning zone is the Shire. Your quests are not all killing the wolves and spiders of the Shire, though there a few of those. Instead, you deliver mail. You fill in shrew-holes. You meet a hobbit who has thoughtlessly eaten his wife's fresh-baked pie she made for guests, so he asks you to get a new for him. You, a small hobbit, must carefully carry a gigantic pie from one side of the Shire to the other, deftly waddling past other hungry hobbits who will follow you, zombie-like, upon smelling the pie. You deliver the pie, turn around, and the shame-faced husband hobbit says, "Erm..oh no! It seems this pie has also disappeared! Can you do that again?" Then you investigate a mysterious haunting and try to placate a ghost by lighting off fireworks and dancing, and I'm not even gonna spoil how that one ends.

LOTRO is pretty old, so it'll run well on old computers. Character creation is absolutely no where near as snazzy and detailed as modern MMOs but it still has the best, coolest and most cosmetic options of any game I can think of, outside of something like Second Life. So even if your character's face and hair aren't totally unique, your costume options are basically unlimited. This aspect of playing dress-up dollies instead of grinding is characteristic of LOTRO - it knows its focus is not numbers but having fun in the game world, doing things like collecting some of the dozens of different horses.

The world isn't as beautiful as, say, WOW. Which is to say, not every square inch of Middle Earth has a hand-crafted, "look at me!", exciting quality. The beauty of the world comes from how enormous it is. In every sense. You know those giant statues of old dudes in armor from the movies? You go there. They are gigantic. You are a small, small player in a vast world - vast in both size (the huge mallorn trees in Lothlorien, the gigantic crevasses and bottomless pits of Moria) and in history.

The writers are Tolkien nerds to make Steven Colbert blush and stammer. The characters live in their world more than any other game I think I've ever played, while it also has the amazing, deep legendry of Tolkien. There is a quest in Lothlorien where you go to certain stone circles and in each one and elf tells you part of the story about how Aragorn fell in love with Arwen, and how tragic that is - Elrond won't let them marry until Aragorn proves himself in questing where he may die, and even if he accomplishes his tasks Arwen must give up her immortality to be with him. You can read the story here: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Elessar_and_Und%C3%B3miel The people who tell you the story ask you to meditate on it in each circle. When you do, you can hear other elves discussing the sad, distressing changes coming to Lothlorien, like having more and more outsiders coming into their land. The incidental dialogue is thematically the same as the story of Aragorn and Arwen: the power of the elves is diminishing. That's pretty loving witty for an MMO.

That's how the writing is in the game. It's a game where reading the quest text is encouraged, as that is one of the best parts. You don't hurriedly click Accept just to get to the next bear-rear end collection site. You don't rush to the end of the game to do daily grind quests over and over again. LOTRO is about the journey.

I could go on. If I were you, I'd download the client, (make a hobbit!) and do the winter event. Especially do the play and the part where you decide to either brush off the bums or give them Christmas handouts. You'll figure out pretty quick if LOTRO is for you.

(It's also super worth it to buy one month of VIP for things like an extra bag and such, but no rush. You'll get there. Get some other friends to join you, too. LOTRO is amazing with any size group.)

(You know the trolls that almost eat Bilbo but he tricks them to stay up until sunrise and they turn to stone? You find them. Right now, they're in front of the goons' guild house. You can use them to decorate your front yard.)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
You can play the super exciting new title from Korea: My Long Distance Relationship is Failing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Just play Everquest 1

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Guild Wars 2 all the way. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745583

I can't recommend it enough for a "couples" MMO. It doesn't have marriage though, unfortunately, but honestly not a whole lot of western MMOS do.

You might also enjoy ESO or Rift. They have marriage systems and are pretty easy to get into.

desudrive fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 19, 2015

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
drat, I read the checklist before the description and immediately thought ff14.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

The Secret World. No marriage but there's dress-up and the writing is great and you can collaborate on solving weird puzzles.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Holy crap how could I have forgotten that this existed? She may not know video games but she does know books, and she's a huge LOTR fan. She's gonna be psyched! Kind of a downer that they don't have weddings, but at least we can get a nice cozy home. Thanks for the recommend!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

desudrive posted:

Guild Wars 2 all the way. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745583

I can't recommend it enough for a "couples" MMO. It doesn't have marriage though, unfortunately, but honestly not a whole lot of western MMOS do.

You might also enjoy ESO or Rift. They have marriage systems and are pretty easy to get into.

Yeah Guild Wars 2 is cool & good, and the goon guilds have relatively normal people (for a goon guild)

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
While there is no "marriage" mechanic in GW2, you both *can* buy wedding outfits and have a player-run ceremony in Lion's Arch. They made an area designated specifically for it.

Then you can go honeymooning in a hot spring.

And in spite of that, it's still a fun game! :D

oishii
Aug 13, 2006
hat

Getsuya posted:

+ Maybe some kind of non-combat element, such as crafting/homemaking to enjoy? She really liked playing Minecraft and building a home together, so that would be nice to do in another game as well.

Check out Trove; it's a totally different flavour of "MMO", but it is super easy to get into and has a ton of things to do. You can build in a way that's similar to Minecraft; blocks and everything.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Too bad Star Wars Galaxies isn't a thing anymore (Minus the emu servers). It basically fulfilled everything you asked for.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think we're going to go with LOTR online since she's really familiar with the source material and I think she'll really love all the exploration.

Though she insisted that we be elves, not hobbits.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Well, if you are ever looking for interesting quests or get curious about it, I absolutely recommend the Shire.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Not eve

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Getsuya posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think we're going to go with LOTR online since she's really familiar with the source material and I think she'll really love all the exploration.

Though she insisted that we be elves, not hobbits.

Good choice, as the #1 LoTRO player I'm willing to offer advice and gold and stuff just post your character name and make sure you both pick the server Landroval

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

But think of the fun that could be had cooperatively balancing spreadsheets!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
It's sub based, but Final Fantasy 14 is great for playing in a small group, it looks great and has an interesting story (though sometimes weird and cheesy) and it also features a pretty cool wedding simulator.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Gawain The Blind posted:

But think of the fun that could be had cooperatively balancing spreadsheets!

The couple that shitposts together, stays together.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'll throw another vote for Guild Wars 2.
My GF and I play it together sometimes and she's never attempted an MMO before. It's super casual and fun.

Plus you can make a giant cat demon that sets himself on fire and shouts so loud that it resurrects the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

everquest 1 is a great game for your failing relationship. Runs on anything, free to play, has E-marriage. You also don't need anyones help because the game can fill your group gaps. It's also filled to the brim with 'mature' 40-60 year olds who play online games and have also had failed marriages.

• Locked thread