Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

i think the magic of hxh for me is how it takes completely ridiculous things seriously and treats them with a lot of skill and detail, such as the nen powers and the fights in the chimera ant saga

it has this sense of pressure that most shonen series lack, especially when characters are trying to figure each other out!

R.I.P. Cheetu, who effectively stupided himself to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's kind of eerie how Togashi just picks up all the pieces of this convoluted scenario so easily after such a long gap. Some of the stuff here reminds me of Liar's Game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Chrollo ran around collecting new abilities to prepare for his fight with Hisoka, but why Shalnark? How is his nen ability supposed to be effective against Hisoka?

And yes, Hisoka should totally win because he is a much more interesting character.

If Chrollo pins Hisoka, that's game. He knows Hisoka knows this, so it's really more of a persistent deterrent throughout the fight - now Hisoka's going to be approaching him with more caution because he knows Chrollo can one-shot him if he gets too brash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's pretty clever, since nearly all of Hisoka's fights have him slowly baiting his opponent into fighting on his terms and then one-shotting them when their guard is down. The pins immediately have Hisoka playing keep-away instead, plus Chrollo also makes a point of saying that he can mix and match his powers now, so the situation's been reversed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hisoka and Chrollo are two of the trickiest assholes in a comic chockablock with tricky assholes, I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them bites it here.

I'm honestly more concerned for the safety of the audience than either of the combatants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Chrollo has the right idea with this clone parade, because as Hisoka just demonstrated once he tags you with Bungee Gum you're pretty well hosed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
No one likes a sore loser, Hisoka.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bisse posted:

I have never read HxH and only just checked up on these chapters to laugh at manga on eternal hiatus the way we all laughed at Guts finally getting of the boat just in time for another hiatus.

This poo poo is so good I just caught myself reading nen explanations on hunterpedia. A wiki for a manga I have read a grand total of 5 chapters. Also been trying to figure out the puzzle of what the actual gently caress happened in this fight but don't know nearly enough nerdy nen rules to have a handle beyond 'he had a whole bunch of powers that interacted in crazy ways but could only use them under strict limitations, somehow still turned an entire arena into an ISIS suicide-bomber festival'.

So I guess I should read this poo poo, what's the best way to get started from the beginning? Is there a good anime out there or should I go manga style?

Basically Chrollo's book lets him steal and use the Nen abilities of others but only under crazy specific limitations:

a) He needs to have the Nen user both explain and use their power in front of him.
b) He needs to record the power's summary in his book within 24 hours of the demonstration, or his victim will be permanently immunized to its ability.
c) The victim must be kept alive in order for their power to be retained in his book, and
d) The book must be out and open when in use, and he can only use one power at a time.

Somehow Chrollo fiddled with his ability to circumvent c and d, to an extent - there's one power that persisted after its user's death, and he could use the ability without the book, and he gained a bookmark that let him juggle two powers simultaneously. All of that, plus the time to prepare and set up the battle arena, allowed him to craft a scenario that took away all of Hisoka's advantages and kept him on his back foot until he made enough mistakes to get "killed." Hisoka excels at one-on-one combat where he can set the pace and play mind games with his opponent until the killing blow, so Chrollo buried him under scores of meat puppets who don't fear death and are impossible to psych out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gyges posted:

They definitely have an innate advantage if it's a straight punchmans fight. If instead of throwing punches, kicks, and poo poo the other guy is shooting magic beams and changing how reality works, then there isn't an innate advantage. Hisoka kind of splits the difference between the two styles though.

There's also the small problem that Hisoka only wants to fight Chrollo - killing the other Spiders is just necessary prep work for Round Two. I'd be surprised if most of them even see him coming before they get snuffed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the most important thing to take from this chapter is... the fact that Hisoka is crazy. We may have forgotten that, as he has appeared in lots of arcs, some times as ally, where he has been "reduced" to someone who happens to love to fight strong opponents. No, no, he always was nuts, as this chapter remind us with who we are dealing. He is the Joker of HxH.

If anything he's a lot simpler than Joker, because we know exactly what he wants and how he gets it, especially after recent events. He's a thrill-seeker and adrenaline junkie who gets off on fighting strong dudes. Some people ride rollercoasters, Hisoka murders folk.

He also doesn't particularly give a poo poo whether he lives or dies, hence his blase attitude (remember when he casually suggesting killing Killua to Illumi's face just to get a rise out of him?) but he is kind of annoyed at losing a fight he worked so long to set up, so he took some last-ditch measures to set up Round Two: This Time It's Personal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that's interesting. Also the opposite of the first question-asking spirit I thought of after reading this, the Lady Midday, who tries to kill the people she's interrogating if they don't answer or try to change the subject, but she's from a completely different mythology.

The bush devils from certain African myths also like to take the form of pale-skinned men (go figure) and lead travelers astray with probing questions. Giving them vague or obtuse answers frustrates and banishes them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The lifespan thing also works because it dovetails in with what we already know of Kurapika and how he approaches Nen, i.e., that he's basically overclocked his Hatsu with a number of incredibly harsh restrictions (I can only use this exact power on this extremely specific type of person or I'll loving DIE, etc.) because he's out for blood and has no will to live outside of his revenge. This is a guy who's probably not planning to see his golden years in the first place, a decade or two off the hind end of his lifespan is no biggie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So now that Hunter x Hunter is completed I've moved on to watch Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time.

Good show, good dub.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, he's been dead before. It didn't stop him for long.

He's still clinically dead, he's just got his Nen doing the work of his heart/limbs/a good portion of his skin.

If you disabled the guy's Nen at this point he'd fall apart like a cartoon skellington.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't see how the nen beasts have anything to do with what I'm saying. Benjamin's ability is his own ability, not a nen beast, I thought? If all of his guards have Hatsus why wouldn't Ben have his own Hatsu?

That's right. Benjamin Baton is Ben's Hatsu. His Nen Beast is a great big question mark.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is like fairy tail if the author knew what he was doing

or at least did a good job of making it seem like he knew what he was doing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tserriednich finally mastering his nen only to get cheetu'd by the phantom troupe or something would be hilarious and not totally implausible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bleach was so terrible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the non-anime chapters show that ging is an unparalleled genius in countless subjects, but he's also such a selfish dirtbag that no one really knows or cares

he owns

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
said JJK character’s power is also based on pachinko, whose rule sets are infamously convoluted, so when he activates his ability its explanation is forced into his opponent’s head all at once and leaves them disoriented

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
CATCORDER

CATCORDER

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hisoka would probably only whack gon as he is now to pick a fight with killua, and I don’t think he’d even go that far

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

regardless, gon used to be someone hisoka looked forward to fighting and now hisoka has been robbed of that. specifically, gon was the one who stole that from him. the thing to remember about hisoka is that he is a selfish rear end in a top hat on top of being a serial killer.

he’s an adrenaline junkie who gets his fix by fighting strong people. he can pop off at people he doesn’t know/respect, but he likes gon insofar as he’s capable of liking anyone, so he’s much more likely to have just dismissed the kid after hearing about his condition rather than killing him out of spite

I doubt he’s thought about gon once since stepping on the ship, he has new toys now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hxh ended with gon and ging in the world tree, everything since then has just been gravy