Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I know the whole thing is confusing, but here is how to keep the whole thing straight.

1) Emission is amazing and can do anything.
2) Conjuration sucks and can do very little.

I think emission might be a more flexible category but Conjuration is arguably a more potent category hence why it's closest to specialization. Some emission users have very powerful abilities but some Conjuration users can outright warp reality which emission users haven't been shown to do. We've also seen very few conjuration users since.

For example, the series has had several examples of teleportation. Goreinu's gorilla's can either change places with him or his target instantaneously, this is his emission ability. The pirate boxer on greed island could teleport his fist as well (he was restricted to the boxing ring because he also needed the areas covered in nen script) and he's also an emitter.

But Knov has a form of teleportation despite being a conjuration user. He has created a pocket dimension that he can freely access and sent other people/things too provided he has set up he entry/exit points. He's also been shown to be able to move between his entry points at will when he needs to. Most of the conjured item's we've seen so far are pretty drat powerful in their own right. It's not that one category is better than the other though. A powerful emission blast doesn't mean anything if your opponent is an enhancement user who can tank your blows. And the best conjured tools won't work if your opponent is smart enough to avoid them or negate their use conditions.

I also spent a lot of time in highschool making up different conjuration abilities so I'm biased towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

What do you think Pariston is?

I can believe that Pariston is just naturally that gifted at undermining people. But I can still believe him being an enhancement user.

Bad Seafood posted:

You can, as is demonstrated several times in the series proper, but that still won't stop legalists from insisting on sharp, strict, definitive divisions just because the power system appears regimented on a surface reading.
Which is weird because during York Shin or Greed island they talk about how a characters can "lean" towards an adjacent nen category on the graph. (I think the example was emissions leaning towards Enhancement). They you have people like Pakunoda who clearly use two different categories for their abilities (Conjuration and Manipulation) in the big, Nen ability heavy arcs. Even a surface reading shows that multiple skillsets are needed to have a balanced, and useful nen ability and it's the people who stick to one camp exclusively that fall off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

Pakunoda uses Specialization though, where Specialization is defined as "breaks the rules."

But yeah, we even see Biscuit go out of her way to train Gon in three different adjacent categories to make him more balanced.
The specialization aspects of her abilities are her Psychometry and her ability to share her memories but she's still conjuring the gun. Chrollo is the same way in that he can conjure a book, but his thief ability is the specialization component. I'd be interested to know if Pakunoda's memory reading started off as a related manipulation ability though, that same arc Kurapika's mentor talks about how conjurers and manipulators have a chance to develop specialization abilities down the line.

Roland Jones posted:

I don't remember that in Yorknew, but in Greed Island Biscuit mentions Gon being an Enhancer with a lean towards Emission I believe, based on how well he took to it versus Transmutation, the other Enhancement-adjacent one.
That's what I was remembering.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense if Zeno's dragon skill inherently does damage on contact and doesn't do damage through stuff like "hitting someone hard" or "having sharp teeth." But if it's the latter, I'm not sure how "forms a dragon out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people and cuts them with its teeth" is different from "forms a buddha out of aura that hurts people when it slams into people with its hands." So I guess I'm wondering why the dragon thing is considered transmutation, since both it and the Buddha thing are giving tangible form to aura but the dragon thing doesn't seem to be giving any extra properties to the aura (like Killua's electricity or Hisoka's stickiness/bounciness).

Getting hit with someone else's aura will hurt you regardless of the form it takes (see Heaven's Arena arc). So the transmutation aspect for Zeno is probably purely cosmetic, he's not giving his dragons any extra properties he's just hitting people with his raw aura molded into a rough shape.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure that's only true if you don't have Nen (or have extremely weak Nen). If you want to hurt a Nen user you need to give it extra oomph.

The concept is still the same, just in that case your offensive output must exceed the defensive output of your opponent for your aura attack to do damage. I guess my point was that Zeno's dragon heads don't have to have any physical properties applied to them like "Sharp Teeth" or "Blunt force" as far as transmutation goes. He just uses it to give them a shape that fits his personality and the rest of their oomph comes from his large reservoir of aura.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but in that case why isn't Netero's ability also considered Transmutation? I mean, he is also giving his aura a certain shape.

I can't find anything that states specifically that it is considered transmutation, but it could be argued that any instance of giving aura an image, no matter to what degree counts as Transmutation.

Asuron posted:

He's not changing the properties of it. He's just emitting a statue and enhancing the blows while manipulating with complicated hand movements. Transmuters change their aura into something else or change properties of it like making it sharper or something like that. Netero is just hitting them with a mass of Nen shaped like a Buddha statue so it's not the same.

I was going to say something like this but then Zeno becomes a problem. If he's not adding any properties to his dragons and is only creating the form them then what separates him from Netero and we've come full circle.

Asuron posted:

Goddamn why is Emission always the issue. It's feels like it's supposed to be simple like Enhancement and then it can do all this poo poo that gets confused for other categories very easily.
Yeah. I think it's just because Togashi wanted people to have interesting looks to their powers and emissions at it's core just leaves you with everyone spamming projectiles like Dragon Ball Z unless you allow for creativity.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 9, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

The transmutation part of his ability is when he fights Chrollo where he is actively controlling the movement, increasing the range by transmuting the aura and transmuting the teeth to make it sharper.

When he separates his dragon to do transmutation abilities, it isn't shown as being particularly strong, his Dragon Dive was only even really considered a distraction so they could enter the castle, that's how weak it was in comparison to his previous ability. He clearly has emission parts of ability and can control the Dragon away from his body, but that's not what he actually uses for combat, it seems more like a utility tool rather than something he's going to use against strong opponents . In that scenario it's purely cosmetic and it's considered very weak in comparison to when he actually controls it with his hand because it's just a blast of Nen shaped like a dragon with no other additional properties.

So basically when he throws it out in Dragon Dive or flys around on it, it's like Neteros ability, but when he controls it with his hand it falls under transmutation.

I don't disagree but when he's moving the dragon head while it's still attached to his body shouldn't that ping as "Manipulation with the restriction that his hands and feet must be used"?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/1603/hxh/

HxH is back, not sure when, it says "check the March 19th (Sat) release of Weekly Shonen Jump #16!"

See you in 2 months when y'all are sad again.

First I hear that Beet the Vandel Buster is coming back after almost a decade, and now HxH is coming back on an arc I'm still hyped for? 2016 is turning out to be a great year.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

You know who has a loving ridiculous Nen ability? Morel. His ability can do at least all of the following:

1. Create literally hundreds of Nen dolls that can be given somewhat commands (with increasing complexity and capabilities with fewer dolls)
2. Create unbreakable smoke constructs, including...
3. An invulnerable, unbreakable smoke enclosure
4. Change the appearance of said smoke constructs and dolls to the point where it's apparently not possible to tell the difference at a glance, like when he made his dolls look like Knuckle or his smoke look like grass
5. Create a smokescreen

And all of this without any real restrictions other than needing to use his giant pipe. It's probably one of the only Nen abilities that just seems flat out superior to a bunch of other similar abilities. Any one of its capabilities (except for maybe the smokescreen) would entirely suffice as a good Nen ability by itself.

This isn't a restriction per-say. But you can view Morel's overall combat philosophy as an additional catch to his power. He's not a pure fighter and functions best as a support to a combat type user. His ability has a lot of utility functions but unlike Hisoka's Bungee Gum which get's used in a more offensive capacity, Morel's smoke manipulation doesn't have any killing techniques. The fights he does win he does so by just out thinking his opponents instead of outright killing them; and while he's definitely a strong individual he's aware that at the end of the day he's not a combat junkie like say Netero.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, they're referred to as Magical Beasts.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Did Viz ever collect the post-Chairman Election stuff in physical form? HxH is one of those series where occasionally I feel like a professional quality translation would help me make sense of the details even if I catch the basic gist of it.

Just digital from what I remember. I don't think there are enough chapters to put into a tank. Ironically 10 chapters seems to be the target number and there are only 9 chapters in the post-election arc so far. They are available in digital format though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

Who wants to start taking bets on how long it's going to last this time.
We talking uninterrupted releases? I give him until mid summer before he pulls a Miura and goes on hiatus for a season. .

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

i hope hisoka gets on the boat

I'd rather he stay off this adventure because he has a tendency to steal the show and this is Leorio/Kurapika power hour.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

the leaks have begun

hanzo confirmed

Think really hard about Togashi's track record with people from the hunter's exam who aren't Gon, Killua, Hisoka, and Illumi. Is it a good thing Hanzo is back or is this a bad thing?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He's also a member of the Zodiacs and, by the end of this arc, will probably be chief guard of the new baby king or some poo poo. The guy is going to accidentally take over the world looking for those drat eyes.

Speaking of the Zodiacs, isn't this kind of a conflict of interest for him? Like, he's getting himself directly involved in the internal politics of the country that is funding Beyond's expedition.

Mizaistom is fully aware that Kurapika is going after his clansmen's eyes. But Kurapika has assured him that whatever method he will use, won't be lethal because in his words.; two people said they would rather die than give up the eyes they had acquired. But in the end they did without dying.

Plus Right now Kurapika is also helping plug a new leak in the boat's security, granted this was before he knew about the battle for succession. Before they just had to worry about assassins and such infiltrating the vessel through the hunter's exam or aptitude tests from within the organization (namely Pariston's temp hunters). Under the assumption that such agents would try and aid Beyond once they got to the New World. But with Kurapika they were able to bounce back a large number of the ones who were knowingly coming onto the vessel with ill intent including most of the higher princes assassins. But with the remaining prince's hiring any pro-hunter they can find, it means that they can't control who get's brought onto the boat that way.

So Kurapika's faction has been able to at least infiltrate those 6 princes initially to get him closer to Tsserriednich; and now that he's aware of the fight for the throne, maybe do something about it since that will cause it's own complications for this voyage.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You'll really see the Nen connection in the following arc but the Dark Tournament is definitely a start to that. It also has my favorite fighter Karasu a.k.a. the original Genthru

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I hope Woble survives this. I mean, Oito surviving too would be good, but if it's one or the other I think Oito would agree with me that her daughter has priority there.
Maybe I've become really cynical but I don't think Oito is going to make it. I get the feeling that once things get underway she'll try and elevate her own daughter to the throne rather than just putting all their ducks in Harkenburg's camp. Partly because she just announced her background as a "poor naive village girl" who was brought into this proverbial game of thrones; I feel like if she gets even the slightest hope that maybe she can come out on top she will take it. Not to mention that the weaker princes plan is essentially to blackmail him by threatening to reveal the details of the succession game to the public which would ruin his image and taint his career. I don't see him responding well to that realization if he's not already aware of it. So the dynamic is bound to change pretty quickly once the body count starts rising and the Nen Beasts come into play.

In all likelyhood Woble's nen beast is going to be an x factor here. Because of her age and supposed aura output I don't expect it to be huge or incredibly lethat. But Oito could learn of it's existence and find a way to strenthen it or guide it in her interests since it's not bound to Woble's control, just her body. And if Oito can prove to be useful in keeping Woble alive it may respond to her instructions.

Bad Seafood posted:

There's also the fact that the prince isn't a Spider, while most of Kurapika's more powerful abilities are exclusively limited to the task of killing Spiders.
Something must have changed because Kurapika has already stated that he could change the minds of people who were willing to die rather than resist him. And this recent chapter has him really pressing for some kind of physical contact with the 4th prince. It's entirely possible that he's created another form of hatsu to help him deal with people who have obtained the eyes of his family.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Not to be untoward, but given Kurapika's choice of career, I simply assumed he put the screws on them. He's not a very intimidating person at a glance, so I could totally see some guy going "Yeah, sure, over my dead bod-OKAY OKAY I'M SORRY, TAKE THE EYES, JUST LET ME GO." For all his principles, he's effectively a mafia don now and does things their way. My point in that post was that he can't really use his underworld weight in this case - the prince isn't someone he can threaten or forcibly persuade in the same way he likely dealt with the other flesh collectors.
I agree that he loses his weight as a mafia boss, and that the two previous people he mentioned could have just been intimidated into doing so. However, since Kurapika was willing to have the rest of his group call off their bodyguard duty in the event that he can at the very least shake hands with the 4th prince.

quote:

Regarding his powers, while it's possible he could simply invent new ones to cover for his fixation on the Spiders, I've always been under the impression it wasn't that easy to simply change or add on to your nen once you'd decided what you wanted to do with it, or everyone would be coming up with secondary powers to cover for their weaknesses. Either way, whether you agree with me or not, the key thing I hope we can all agree on is that this is a more delicate situation than Kurapika's ever been in before, and he'll likely have to find some creative ways of resolving any conflicts or missteps that arise.
I don't think it's easy to adjust or change an existing ability either, but I am focused on why he needs to touch the 4th prince because that sounds like he's trying to fulfill a condition for some nen ability. There are a couple of characters in the series that I think started off with an ability and added onto them over time, two in particular are Bonolenov and Biscuit. Both have abilities that multiple expressions but each ability shares a common base with it's different modes. Through the condition of dancing and producing a song Bonolenov has created a full suit of ceremonial armor complete with a spear and a planet. Bicuit's nen masseur has at least 3-4 different types of soothing lotions that all have very different effects ranging from increasing the effectiveness of sleep, to presumably being able to shrink her down to the doll-like body she's commonly seen in. I think it's not too unreasonable to believe that they started with one idea and over time added on more functions.

When I look at how Killua developed his lightning techniques I can see how someone who finds an ability that suits them can develop and change it over time. For Killua he started off just being able to generate electricity and between Greed Island and the Chimera Ant's arc he figures out how to take that same electric aura and create his pre-programmed motions, and god speed form; but they were not a part of his original specifications, rather a logical growth of that initial idea.

This brings me back to Kurapika. He's a conjurer who has created 5 different chains that all share the same base, but offer different functions based on the piece at the end. His original goal was to take down the Phantom Troupe but failed to kill more than two members and both of those were suicide. We don't know what's happened to him in the intervening time but over a year has passed and it seems that he's dedicated his time and resources to tracking down the remaining pairs of eyes. It does bear mentioning that he always keeps his chains manifested and he doesn't show more than the usual 5 in the most recent chapters so it may be that he just used Judgement Chain on those two people to get them to hand over the chains. But what I'm thinking is that he created another chain or a function to a previous one to add to his arsenal that can only be manifested under the condition that he's in contact with someone. Judgement chain didn't have that restriction as far as we've seen and chain jail can't be used on anyone else but members of the Phantom troupe.

All in all, yes. Whatever he's going to do is going to require absolute discretion. He's not going after just any politician, he's going after a crown prince of a nation recently added to the ranks of the former V5 on a mission to "colonize" the forbidden continent. Even if he doesn't have a new ability, I'm really interested to see how he's going to go about all this, while also dealing with the battle royale about to erupt.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that we still don't know what Kurapika's Pointer Finger chain does.

Huh, That could be it then. One finger for the Phantom Troupe, and one for the people with his kinsmen's eyes.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 17, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So spoilers for the new chapter are leaking and it looks like its confirmed that Chrollo and Hisoka are duking it out at the Heaven's tower. New chapter can't come fast enough and I'll tolerate Mangastream to read it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gyges posted:

Or was he just there to tell Gon, Killua, and Biscuit how to not get blown up?

He's made contact with Chrollo for sure, the removal just happened off screen.

Gyges posted:

It could be that Chrollo still has the chain around his heart. The stipulation is that he can't use his Nen or he dies. But what if he's using someone else's Nen right now? Perhaps that's why he's doing all this Shonen explanation trope stuff, because he has to in order for the borrowed Nen to work.
Not likely, the condition was that Chrollo couldn't use any nen. This would include any ability summoned through Skill Thief because activating skill thief counts as using nen. The bookmark is also an ability created from nen so it would trigger the sword.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

If this was a pen & paper rpg, one player would have to roll Gyo against the opponent's roll In. Whoever is stronger, the nen is revealed or stays hidden.

That's not really how it's presented though. Unlike clashing auras when fighting, Gyo and En will always reveal aura being masked by In regardless of skill. It's just that most people don't use gyo on the eyes until they suspect something is up. (e.g. Uvo and the Hunter who runs the mafia's desk) since it lowers your defenses everywhere else. If what you say is the case, Killua, Zushi, and Gon would not have been able to see any of Hisoka's threads on that recording. Why they saw different numbers probably had more to do with overall observation skill than aura levels.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That's what I was leaning towards. You have an incomplete Gyo which was what Zushi used. The completed Gyo which is what everyone else uses. And then you have your reaction time for activation Time for Gyo (I think moving aura around the body is called kyu). Once you can get aura focusing down you can use gyo and you will automatically be able to perceive anything g hidden with In. That'said consistent across the whole series. When you try to apply skill Checks where an opponent with a higher In score can outplay a weaker Gyo score it becomes something not similar to what is shown.

Also, an effect of Gyo is enhancing aura percepion. But any instance of gathering a larger than normal amount of aura of a specific body part, without using Ken or ko counseling as gyo. Eyes are just the most common area.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I appreciate setting up the stakes for the fight but it took me two passes to get everything Chrollo has planned. Stop me if I'm wrong here but
Chrollo is using 5 stolen abilities in this fight.
  1. Black voice (Shalnark)
  2. Sun and Moon (Metero city elder)
  3. Gallery fake (Kortupi)
  4. Order Stamp (unknown)
  5. Convert Hands - Transfer Student (unknown)

His plan is to fight Hisoka with the audience as ammunition by using manipulated members with black voice and Gallery Fake + Order Stamp. In addition to distractions they may also be bombs created by Sun and Moon with no time limit on when they detonate since the stamps must touch to activate and the ability has evolved into a curse as a result of the original wielder dying and leaving his nen behind so it can be active even if skill hunter isn't opened to that page.

In addition to all that he can disguise himself as an audience member using Convert hands and possibly manipulate the person who takes on his appearance with black voice as well.

All in all this is by far the most technical fight happening and I wish it were a little less wordy but hopefully Togashi is just front loading all the dialogue now and the next chapter will be more actiony.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 2, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

You missed some things: Chrollo can only use gallery fake on corpses, and order stamp on the copies he makes with gallery fake. As we saw in york new, gallery fake has a time limit. So Chrollo has spent the last few days murdering people with tickets for the fight and sending copy puppets in their place. He can't actually make any more copies without losing his disguise, nor can he use sun and moon because that also requires two hands. I don't think he is going to pull out another one handed ability after spending two chapters explaining, either. The sun and moon marks don't have to be on the same person, or even on a person. So there could be normal audience members with a mark and puppets who can then be controlled into detonating them.

Yeah, Gallery Fake + Order stamp is a combo attack. But I don't know about him killing people in advance to place them in the audience. We've seen two people and it's assumed that they are being controlled by Black Voice right now. We also don't know if Chrollo has used Transfer student yet because the last panels are Hisoka thinking about how boned he is. It is however, perfectly reasonable for Chrollo to kill people right now or use people caught in the collateral of his fight for materials for more clones.

There is also the fact that Chrollo still has a OHKO with Black Voice if he can land a hit on Hisoka. Thankfully the contidions for that ability require the user to place the antenna not another person.

I still really appreciate this one aspect of nen though. Abilities are very much tied to the users beliefs and personality. I don't know what kind of person created Order Stamp but given how it's named, "proof of humanity" and how chrollo juxtaposes it with the Elder. I get the impression that the person who created that ability had a real disdain for manipulator abilities being used on people, and more than that. Saw the manipulated as something less than human themselves. Some stuff like Gallery Fake doesn't say much about the creator except they are master forgers, but most abilities carry a very distinct impression of the people who made them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

So, the bookmark definitely forces Chrollo to explain all his powers in detail when he's using it, right?

Maybe? Except he used sun and moon before he explained anything whereas Genthru explained his ability then it activated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There's also the fact that Silva has fought Chrollo in the past and notes how Chrollo has improved in the gap between. Also he forbids Killua from getting involved with the Phantom Troupe but that may also have something to do with them being largely from Meteor city, a place that knows how to hold a grudge. I still think even Serious Chrollo vs Serious Zeno would be in Zeno's favor though. But it's HxH so who knows? There are no power levels here.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Mrs. Zoldyck and several of the estate butlers are from Meteor City, so there's probably another reason.

I must have missed that.

quote:

Also, he let Kalluto join, or at least someone did.
The warning came before that but it does make sense that they let Kalluto join. It's the meteor city philosophy.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Is there anything that would have prevented Chrollo from needling Hisoka during that chapter?

Ego, he had 2-4 solid hits and he wasted them on going for organ damage.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Also, the spiders probably didn't even kill him and paid him off like they promised him because a business relationship with such a useful person is worth keeping. Posthumous nen curses are probably a regular problem for them. Heck, given the huge drawback Chrollo probably wouldn't even want his ability.
Even then there doesn't seem to be a way to steal Abengane's ability as long as Judgement chain is active. In order for Chrollo to be able to take the ability he'd have to wait until after the exorcism has been performed. Then he'd have to fulfill all the conditions for skill thief and hope that when he does take it, it doesn't disable the previous exorcism because doing so puts a chain right back in his heart and him possibly still with his hatsu active killing him instantly. And if it doesn't he can't use the ability on himself because doing so is also suicide.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So Chrollo just upped the stakes He doesn't need to keeping Gallery Fake bookmarked or open to keep the copies manifested. If they are tagged with Sun and Moon they stay around because the seal won't allow them to disappear.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I like Leorio because he has an important role in the story that a lot of shonen wouldn't give him. He's the "Krillin" for lack of a better word of the group, the weakest of the lot who is defined by his friendship to the others.

I think he's defined by more than just being friends with everyone else. When it was just Kurapika, Gon and Him everyone had their own areas of knowledge. Kurapika has his expertise in esoteric knowledge (ancient customs and most recently underworld knowledge), Gon is a wild child and the shonen protagonist, and Leorio is the world savvy character and the most down to earth of the three. Even his first appearance in the York Shin arc highlights this, he's on top of what phone to buy and how to haggle; he knows what the auction they are trying to get into is, and ways to get money to make everything work. It's nice because it gives the group a nice balance when they are all together, it sucks because when it gets to the action bits Leorio can't keep up.

A couple of people already pointed it out but he doesn't have the shonen power scaling that Gon and Killua have, and he didn't take as many shortcuts to develop his ability as Kurapika did. But he still has developed his own hatsu and Ging does note that the principles behind his warping punch, and the aura pulsing speak volumes about how he's applied his own medical knowledge. He's done a lot in the year or so since York Shin and even then he was already on par with everyone during the Heaven's Arena; he just took time off to study medicine and jerk off. But when it get's down to the fights he's not a top contender. His biggest contribution to the Phantom Troupe side of YS was pretending to be a businessman. After that he's the wheelman and that's really it. During the Hunter's Exam he is constantly on the weak side of things getting almost eliminated time and time again but always managing to luck out in the end due to someone else's intervening. Heck even after joining the Zodiacs his biggest contribution was inviting Kurapika.

I'm hoping that this arc turns into the Leorio super hour because he's the underdog right now and he's clearly got things to prove.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Ging's disliked, but he's also one of the most accomplished, powerful and influential Hunters in the world, whereas Pariston is also a known rat bastard.

I may have liberally stolen from Hunter x Hunter for my own games. I'm a working nen rules system away from cutting the pretence and just running a Hunter Exam game.

Been working on one that's based loosely around Mage the Ascension's (GURPS conversion) magick spheres. Been stalled out though due to circumstances. The only thing keeping a good tabletop HxH scenario from happening for me is getting Hatsu abilities to have rules but not be super rigid in construction.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rangpur posted:

My take is that Ging could put a lot more power behind it, but Leorio could perform heart surgery by punching someone in the chest, once he works the kinks out. A surgeon's more about fine control, ya know?

I've already read the adventures of Dr. Kenshiro but I like the idea of Leorio becoming the next master of "The healing punch". My interpretation of the warp punch is that, much like the pirate boxer from Greed Island, it's strength is a 1:1 to the physical force of the original impact and what we see is a nen "echo". But either way it's clear that Ging pulled his punches because we can safely assume that those mercs wouldn't be able to stand up to him physically or aura wise.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lpzie posted:

I've been rereading the Greed Island and Ant Arcs recently, and I noticed some things that weren't well thought out.

The first one is that I think Biscuit should have been the one to take on the Bomber, given her experience and strength.
I think it's just because she wants to "refine" Gon and Killua into better fighters. Genthru was another test for them just like Binolt (a person who could have killed the two of them had he not been injured prior). Biscuit subscribes to the school of hard knocks.

quote:

The second is that the three of them trained a certain scenario in which Gon leads the Bomber into a secluded area with a trap floor. The assumption is that they were the ones that would chose their opponents, when in reality it was the Bomber that made that call. He does mention to his allies that he wanted to fight Gon, so it works out anyway. But still, that was an unforeseen scenario. The Bomber could have just as easily chosen Killua, who had no counter to Little Flower.
You already answered your question. Genthru had marked Gon since the two of them had all the verbal exchanges. If I remember they also used accompany to land themselves near the trap location and then Biscuit and Killua used copied, and hidden accompany cards to split the group further. Genthru walked into the trap even if he dictated when he triggered it.

quote:

A third thing is that the Spiders wanted that nen removal ability, but the guy had already used it to remove the bomb from himself. He had to fulfill the condition of removal (touching the Bomber and saying "I caught the bomber") before he could help Chrollo. This is such an important thing to the Spider that during the 3 weeks Gon and co spent preparing to fight the Bomber, the Spider should have made their move first, captured the Bomber (with ease) and the arc would be over.
I think if we look at how the Spiders acted after York Shin it makes sense. As long as the Chrollo has judgement chain on his heart going after Kurapika could result in a curse manifesting. The same is true for Abengane, if they killed Genthru and his ability manifests into a curse it could undo or overpower the exorcism causing him to die and losing them his ability.

Other than that I just think Togashi didn't want them to be a part of that encounter. Genthru was the "final boss" of Greed Island and Gon's fight so they didn't interfere.

Tonfa posted:

Justice For Gotoh
I know it won't stick but I'll pour one for Coin Butler.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Incorrect. Kurapika did exactly that with his conjured chains. That's one of the big advantages of conjured weaponry, that you can use In on it.

In can be applied to any nen construct be it conjured or not. Hisoka uses In on his bungee gum all the time.

GoldenPrice posted:

I don't think the magnetic iron pillars fit in transmuting very well.

He's creating aura constructs (most likely through emission) that have the properties of steel and magnetic fields to attract and repel from each other. Since by default nen constructs seem to only have a "blunt" property, any other effect can be chalked up to transmutation to some degree.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Who wants to be the one to tell him?

Was this anime original?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I was expecting actual flower petals. Now I just feel let down.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

jon joe posted:

I wonder if there's anyone with the nen power of just being completely immune to all other nen. Make everything into a physical fight.

That's basically a more evolved version of Potclean. For that, once active any attack either person makes against the other (including aura attacks) just causes the numbers to change but no damage happens. Granted if you do an attack that exceeds the debt you incur he'll eat the difference. So it comes down to a slugfest until either you can get your debt cleared, or you exceed your bank.

Going off the logic of how nen abilities work. I feel like any "Ability nullification" ability would have to be single target to be remotely practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Which was presumably through unconscious Nen usage.

That's presented as a trait the entire main cast could do before they learned how to manipulate their aura.