Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just started watching the 2011 series in September, this poo poo is really good and I got a bit obsessed. Halfway through the Chimera Ant arc and whyyyy is this poo poo so long an horribly paced now? Why did we need to fully flesh out 40 different ants and a new assembly cast of characters? What feels like 50 episodes in and the Chairman finally started fighting the King at the end of the last episode I watched. Feel like twenty episodes worth of chaff coulda been cut if all the intra-ant politiking and being a jerkass was just alluded to and they were kept a bit more alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the talking squid that doesn't wanna murk a giant man-eating jackass. I did, however, realize that these scenes go down much better with double speed. So that should hopefully prevent burnout. Also I thought for sure that Uvo wasn't gonna be actually dead given the way they framed a couple shots of his death + the whole 11th calendar rising part of the prophecy. The brain worms were pretty cool though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Alright, the Chimera Ant arc ended on a fairly solid note. Sounds like it'd be better on a reread knowing the threads to look for while dodging some of the pacing issues. I'm just glad Ging is finally a character.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Quick question: what's the best chapter to pick up on after the anime? Google seems to be suggesting 338/339, but I wanna make sure I don't miss anything relevant.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Finally caught up just in time to cry

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

It's absolute bastardry but also pretty hilarious that Ging thought of that specific exception and screwed him over through it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Someone should make sure they get some sleep before the back half of the arc

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The ants were never a real threat to humanity at large, they were always being used as pawns for political powers in the metropole(s). The true monster of the arc is industrial society

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Having just rewatched the Chimera Ant arc, I can confidently say that the arc was about the power of gamers

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Thats true, the power of being a Big cheefer was also impressive enough to get up to three Star hunter

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If Ging made himself pregnant with Gon where did the baby come out?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Kite is not a weird sociopath or rear end in a top hat.

Idk did you forget that part where he mentally dominated the koala hitman into becoming his lifetime slave? Kite's a pretty chill person and all but

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

I love the chimerant arc, but I always find it really funny that Zeno Zoldyck shows up, unleashes a massive attack that does nothing except hit a sickly blind girl, then leaves

Art of the deal, you know the Zoldyck family got paid big bucks for that gig, they might as well have given Netero a blank check

the peak of peak hxh is probably when Pitou's corpse goes for one last attack, and Gon just happy-cries through losing an entire arm because he finally feels like he repented for what he did to Kite :smith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Bush Hates: his nen aura doubles everytime he speaks an uncomfortable truth at an inopportune time

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

drat i gotta get in at this workplace, would be great to be the normal one for once

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

VikingofRock posted:

Did this get taken off US Netflix? I'm not seeing it on mine, but I also haven't seen any discussion of it being de-listed online.

still there on mine, check your vpn or something

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forget, was there someone with King Crimson like powers?

main fuckboy/psycho prince has King Crimson yeah

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

wait, hisoka came back from the dead with nen? why did i not remember this

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I know, I thought of that. But come one, I don't think he can get his hands on one... that's why I mentioned C4, thinking that would be his limit.

I mean Chimera Ant arc was basically in not-NK, presumably someone with solid mafia connections could potentially get their hands on a Rose in the underground market (for a very high price) given that non-proliferation seems shaky at best

not saying its likely or anything, but a guy that can augment/scale Real World Weapons and the general A class poo poo human society can make to kill itself adds a lot of potential to both himself and those societies if placed correctly.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

i hope hisoka and the mob guy kiss

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Jesus christ, do they not have royal skincare? I thought he was in his 40s

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd have more respect for them if their reason for becoming body mod furries had anything to do with their own desires and interests. total fuckin' freaks are great! but no, they are all a bunch of otherwise normal, boring people that did it to please netero who asked for nothing of the sort. it's weird. they're weird.

Ok but otoh the peak of the hunters world being dominated by a bunch of simps is hilarious and speaks a lot to Netero's overall leadership

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

im gonna cry by the end of this arc arent I

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

its not her fault musclegirls never took off in hxhworld

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Pretty sure the church is still around and the dominant governing institution alongside the council and the troupe in the current timeline, that's where the ants took over iirc?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the real question is who's gonna be the one survivor of the dark continent arc?

[spoiler[ its leorio [soplir]/

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Hinrigh rules, love this guy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Lpzie posted:

Everyone is going to die.

Leorio will be the only survivor of the dark continent and become the next chairman (and also our permanent solo protag)

he will also be the first person to bring back a blessing instead of a curse, bringing the knowledge of universal good health to all those who have love for their fellow man

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

holy poo poo the lawyer has oblivion guards as his nen ability

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

yeah ive got no idea what the gently caress is going on, maybe ill figure it out on a reread once we hit a decent midway point in 2026

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

the entirety of the weird pseudo-modern magical world just being a giant crater lake island in what might be an infinite plane of the baddest poo poo ever is just, like, such a good adventure hook

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

uh has it been that long since a chapter we've forgotten about the murder dungeon lady who's power is actively awakening people? Sure it requires a few kills, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

She single?