Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Late 70s stereo equipment is definitely my favorite thing. I picked up this JVC yesterday at a garage sale. I just ordered some bulbs that will hopefully work for the dial lights, and it will be good as new.

The Sansui below is my current centerpiece:

Join us in the vintage audio thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=156

I also picked this up for a buck yesterday:

Obviously it's useless now with digital TV, but I always liked Sony's design of 80s portables. This will go in my walkman collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

The latest Technology Connections has the guy poking around in an old full deck CD player with the leads to an oscilloscope trying to reverse engineer it, it's great.

This is the only CD player oscilloscope video I need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCL_BZBmvD8

I love Paul D Millar

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My dad brought me this beast today. He picked it up an an auction for nothing.

The selection of movies it came with was nice at least. I haven't even touched the machine yet. I'm going to assume there's bad belts in there or a bad stylus. I don't know how much effort and money I want to throw at it just to watch a skipping version of Star Wars for five minutes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the thing it sucks the disc out of the cartridge and you take the empty cartridge out?

Yeah, it has a vinyl record in there, just with a lot denser grooves.

Years ago I made a video of putting one on a turntable for a laugh. nothing interesting happens because the stylus is WAY too big
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI1ZX9W99iA

Techmoan has a video on the format I believe.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

For some of these in more recent years they have different phone numbers in the ad so they know what programming drove you to call them.

It's common to see "visit sketchycompany.com/TV47" in ads, but I remember one company that actually registered sketchycompany1.com through sketchycompany99.com and used a different url in each ad. That's dedication!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Horace posted:

From 1984, an "illegal" cordless phone with a 1500ft range. "imagine walking your dog while talking on the phone".

The tl;dr of this million word ad is that the phone is way overpowered but legal to sell until the FCC finalise the regulations, so buy NOW.

Make it even easier for your neighbors to listen to your calls! Back in the early 2000's my mom bought a 900 MHz police scanner with the primary purpose of listening to phone calls. It was kind of amazing how easy it was. Just continuously scan the 900 band and there would generally be 1, 2, or 3 calls going on any any given evening time. I set up a PC to have continual recording so I could just hit a button to start recording 30-seconds earlier. Somewhere around here there's a hard drive with a bunch of those recordings on it (though the idea of listening to private calls is less fun at 30 years old than it was at 13)

I tried it off and on over the years and once 900 mhz phones went away, all you'd hear is the occasional elderly person that never upgraded. Eventually I started to hear cell-phone calls, but I was never clear if I was actually picking up a cell signal or if it was just people on cells calling a cordless house phone. Once or twice I got to hear an On-Star call from a vehicle, which was pretty weird.

I still use that police scanner today to listen to regular police activity (somehow my city never upgraded to a trunked system), but I haven't scanned the 900 mhz band in a decade. I'm sure nothing uses it anymore.

It's funny, if you look up Dak Industries, they're still using the same marketing technique on their products.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Duet of the Broken Hard Drives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGCp4ZowMg

UxWbill's channel is great, he's kinda rambly and long winded but he's a nerdy nerd. One of us!

You can pretty much categorize every vintage tech youtube channel as "slickly-produced emulation of Techmoan or LGR", and "guy in his garage filming on DV tape, whose style hasn't evolved since 2008".

The latter category are some of my favorite channels out there. UXWBill can be a bit grating when he uses 5 times as many words than he should to say something, but his videos are comforting to watch. I think VWestlife has the same sort of feel without the rambling. He's my favorite channel of that type.

Lately I've been into AkBKukU's videos and they're great. Very well produced and informative. I'm surprised he doesn't have more subscribers.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

VLC has been fine for years now. It pauses instantly and can even go frame-by-frame.

Some programs that are still great despite hardly changing over 15 years:

Irfanview
Audacity
Foobar2000
VLC
Notepad++

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I believe Acrobat 7 is the same story. Free directly from Adobe now. It's useful for the rare occasion that I need to make an edit to a PDF, and as far as I know it still works with Win10 and modern PDF files.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Excel runs like poo poo sometimes too. And I hate how it doesn't accept scroll wheel inputs when not in focus, when everything else does.

I still have to run this program on Win7 because you can't scroll any unfocused windows. I think MS finally added that in 8 or 10.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what else should i read if i loved exploding the phone? analog telephony history is preferred, but vintage hacking in general is good too. don't be afraid to get technical; i won't understand it but i'd like to try anyway

I can't recommend it because I haven't read it, but some day I want to pick up the Phone Losers of America book. It's less of a history book and more of a (largely embellished) funny stories collection. I used to read their site years ago and found the articles great. I'm not sure how the writing would hold up reading it as an adult though.

Thanks for mentioning Exploding The Phone though. I'm going to check it out - it looks great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My dad gave me a box of 16mm films in canisters today that he got for free somewhere. I got to learn first hand why they call it "vinegar syndrome" :stare:

Also got some 8mm films that I'll watch some time because I actually have a decent sound 8mm projector.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Prison radios.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want this to be a real thing

is it a real thing?

I think that turned out to be a hoax. Or at least the one that made headlines 10 years ago did. In theory it should be possible though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In 2008, Amazon used to do a thing where Prime members could enter for a slim chance to "win" the opportunity to buy products at a steep discount (and I think even after you were selected, you still had to beat the rush to claim it once it went live?). I don't think they ran that program very many times before deciding it was a dumb idea.

Anyway I was "lucky" and was able to purchase an Eee PC for $140, discounted from $430. It was kind of nice to take around in college where there was Wifi everywhere, but it ran XP and felt mostly useless after a couple years.

Also, Eee PC was the dumbest name ever.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

stevewm posted:

I used to be a gigantic Winamp nerd... then I moved onto Foobar and spent hours meticulously tweaking and customizing the interface.

I have a several hundred GB music collection, a good chunk of it lossless that I ripped myself from my uncle's massive CD collection. Spent untold hours arranging, tagging, renaming, etc... And these days I never touch it. I haven't played a file from it in a couple years actually. Went to streaming services some time ago and never looked back.

Considering the state of streaming TV/Movies these days, It still surprises me that streaming music is so good. Just pay $10 to any service out there and get access to 99% of popular music ever released.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

no but I remember calling Google 411 when i moved to a new city to figure out where to go out to eat and how to get around a few times

I was texting 46645 (GOOGL) for internet searches right up until I got a smartphone in 2012. I think they shut it down shortly after.

edit: beaten!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Modern Classic has a video on another cool handheld mechanical game like that (edit: also made by TOMY):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bvmIQ-pBVQ

If you're looking for another good channel to watch :)

wa27 has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Apr 19, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have a nice Hitachi VCR that has a real jog wheel and when I first used it, I couldn't believe I was using a VCR that could go frame-by-frame forward and backwards. Like, all my previous VCRs couldn't even pause a frame on the screen and have it look good.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finally tried out my RCA CED player yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOiVxkg8GlQ

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I had to touch a Windows 8 pc today (not 8.1) and legitimately couldn't figure out where the shutdown option was. What a misguided attempt at a UI.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can we please bring back the flow-chart aesthetic on electronics??

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah I don't think we'll be seeing many more music sharing crackdowns in the era of Spotify. The only thing music labels care about policing now is Youtube.

I bet if what.cd had made it a couple more years, it would still be up today.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

It still is up, just under a new name iirc? Still invite only with tons of dumb hoops.

Oh, I guess I should have assumed that. My music piracy days are long over, so I never bothered to find a successor (again, Spotify).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nice try, that's Tony Hawk.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Over the years I've acquired a few pieces of Quadraphonic stereo equipment, but I never really understood much about the technology. I managed to piece together a full quad setup today with an SQ decoder and SQ records. It was neat, but I totally understand why the technology didn't take off.

Anyway, I made a video about the whole experience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpg0Fe4ARM

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Trabant posted:

Here's an interesting video that has nothing to do with screaming YouTubers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWZpKYYc_Y

What is the line-drawing game they played at the end?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Who gives a poo poo about destroying screws, really. But how does somebody with a computer tinkering youtube channel not have a security bit set? They're like $5 at Harbor Freight.

Jamming a paper clip in the power supply to kill it was hilarious. I half expected him to then take that paper clip and stick it where the fuse was. And I love how he ended the video with "I told the guys at Computer Reset to send over any other interesting things they find!!" Yeah, I'm sure that's the first thing they'll think about next time they find some rare equipment (or maybe they actually will. It doesn't seem like they care too much anyway)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

namlosh posted:

TechnologyConnections is so good that I hoard the episodes... which I know is dumb.

Is there some rule about having a playlist of content that starts at the beginning and ends at the last, most recent episode? It seems like such a nobrainer, but very few have it at all.

If someone knows such a playlist for TechnologyConnections I will be ever grateful
Youtube almost does this for you, but I don't see a way to reverse the order of a playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Just found this fella and I kinda like how he seems to hate everything he talks about. It's low quality so no stupid transitions, just in depth reviews. He did a really good one on mobile AOL messenger devices and you can feel the loathing.

This one is neat for camera nerds, and stay for the serial killer basement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrqVyLH3f9w

And this is actually a very good primer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sQF_K9MqpA
"Disclaimer, don't do this, you might go to jail!"
And the cheeky fucker is wearing a shirt that will zebra everywhere.

This guy rules, thanks for the recommendation

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Are safety broadcasts are close to being relics? The last TV my parents bought didn't have any sort of built in tuner, and I didn't have anything to receive over the air broadcasts until I got a portable AM/FM radio a while back specifically for listening to local weather alerts and news. Cars still have radios, but everyone I know with a car listens to their phone instead of FM.

It doesn't seem like there's a good replacement for them, either. My phone is supposed to receive emergency alerts, but it's never once shown me one even as tornados rolled through.

I would bet the phone alerts are reaching more people than radio/TV alerts ever did in the past.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Wait you could do video on shoutcast too? :psyduck:

Man I feel like I missed out, pirate TV over shoutcast sounds awesome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullsoft_Streaming_Video

I think shoutcast had to have been some of the first live video I ever watched online. I've still got some NSV recordings saved from 2005 and they don't like to play back in VLC that well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

They massively screwed up and the backend got overloaded so a whole ton of people who paid for the service weren't able to watch the first episode of the show, whereas a scene group managed to get it as it went live.

I feel like that's a pretty extraordinary exception. Streaming works great.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I wish I could remember my SA uid so I could easily find my posts in a thread.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Type "username:wa27" in the thread search bar at the top of the page.

Thanks! Specifically I want an easy way to get to the question mark link, but searching puts me a couple clicks away. Way better than browsing to another recent post of mine to look up the uid.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sweevo posted:

This Greasemonkey script will add a "Show Your Posts" link to the top and bottom of every page.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        sa_allposts
// @namespace   com.sa
// @include     *forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*
// @version     1.2
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

var userid = 109191;

var tid = window.location.toString().match(/threadid=(\d+)/)[1];
var bcrumbs = document.getElementsByClassName("breadcrumbs");
for (var i=0; i<bcrumbs.length; i++){
    var link = document.createElement('a');
    link.innerHTML = '<a href="showthread.php?threadid=' + tid + '&userid=' + userid + '">See Your Posts</a>';
    link.style.float = "right";
    bcrumbs[i].appendChild(link);
}

That's fantastic, thank you!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You Am I posted:

Here's photos of the GamesMen Summer 92 catalogue: https://imgur.com/a/TdhG54V

I was super confused by these prices for a good few minutes before I realized it was an Australian catalog. Shame on me for assuming it was all USD.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I haven't watched an 8-bit guy video since the paperclip incident but I decided to click on his newest one and couldn't stop :lol:ing at his "incident"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpWHYBvG_U&t=34s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I guess I appreciate that he is comfortable enough with himself to show the absolute gooniest fall I have ever seen

I do like so that he is aware his new setup looks kind of lovely. Ben Heck in the comments mentioned the backdrop is too dark and the table too light, which sounds right

He definitely made some... questionable decisions with all the color scheming. But yeah just changing the countertop would probably be enough to make it look reasonable.