Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Astalavista
Cowdance
Trading gamecube animal Crossing furniture with forum strangers with that loving password system
Proboards/invisionfree
Mr Wong's Soupartments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

gaim
trillian

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

May I present the Macintosh TV

At least that wasn't a VHS slot. But yeah, there was a time when their design clout couldn't even extend to force a third-party CD-ROM drive door to be the same color as the rest of the case.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

what the christ is that

20th anniversary mac. It was really cool + good.

quote:

Upon unveiling, the TAM was predicted to cost US$9,000, which would include a direct-to-door concierge delivery service. At release the price was reduced to $7,499. In the middle of its sales' lifespan Apple dropped the price further to around US$3,500, and finally upon discontinuation in March 1998 the price was set to US$1,995. Customers who paid full price for the TAM, and then complained to Apple when the price was so drastically cut, were offered a free high-end Powerbook as compensation.

Steve Jobs returned to Apple in late 1997. In March 1998 he made sweeping changes, including scrapping the Newton MessagePad. It was at this time that the TAM was discontinued, and remaining stocks reduced to US $1,995. The timing itself was not conspicuous – most Apple computers only feature a 1-year production run, and the TAM's began in March 1997. However Jobs was on record stating that he hated the TAM[citation needed], as it stood for everything that was wrong at Apple when he returned[citation needed]. The attempt to move the remaining stock by further reducing the price may have been a directive from Jobs himself.[citation needed]

Dealers in the US ran out of stock within 14 days of this final price drop.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

DarkMalfunction posted:

Even if you lived in your parent's basement with no windows?
Depends :350:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

gently caress blink, bring back marquee

Buttcoin purse posted:

I only played with MS Comic Chat once or twice to see how it worked (I used a real client, mIRC), but lol at the example conversation that is shown on Wikipedia:

I feel like i am the closest i have ever been to understanding jerkcity

How many of those visual IM things were there in the 90s? i remember my bro using one of them in 98/99 and i thought it was the coolest poo poo ever but I have no idea what it was and by the time I started doing poo poo online a couple years later it seemed like they were all totally dead+gone

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

bit later than most stuff itt but remember these extremely good and not at all terrible things

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had the CD-ROM!!!! version that came with a pile of weird video clips of jackalopes and poo poo, it was great

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Even after stuff like Atrax CD players had been around for a couple years and ipods were beginning to make an impact all the Hong Kongers at my school were all about minidiscs. Still saw people recording borrowed CDs onto them until 2005ish.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Come play my lord

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Here's something I missed out on as a kid, because it pre-dates me: loving ownage C64 video game music. Seriously listen to this rockin' poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGFV_xxR64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYyXfj9Wxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf29ShkoAiA

It's cool that you made this post because now I'm listening to this poo poo for the first time in like a decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzX7MY2U41k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zreA7lYnXs4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqFgYvdzzk

Machinae Supremacy are a pretty good internet relic themselves. Long ago, way before they started putting out increasingly dire full-length albums, they used to put up every new song they did for free download, available in mp3 AND ogg! :yayclod:

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkmyMKbPKE

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

There was a rumour going around a little while ago that they're gearing up for a remaster/remake of one of the versions of The Dig that got thrown out when they restarted development. I really hope something comes of that.

Mak0rz posted:

No joke Machinae Supremacy is how I found out C64 music was so rad! I used to listen to them all the time, and a lot of their music is pretty good. My favorite song is still Super Steve.

Except for the Edge Wizardry theme, that one I discovered from a collection of original SPC (Super NES sound file) compositions simply titled "Public Domain SPCs" I found on Zophar's Domain. Also discovered the kickass Space Harrier theme from the same collection.

Man, anyone remember Zophar's Domain? :allears:

I'm only 25 years young so that poo poo is definitely before my time but drat the C64 sounds so good. My bro had one and an Amiga when we were little, barely remember anything about them though. I got into masu through stumbling across that cover of Freestyler they did, can't even remember how that happened. Might have even been through SA back when I didn't have an account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGz6zo-lHo

:krad:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"comprised of"!!!! :argh:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

I still bust out these bastards from time to time:

Had the game boy one of these, it ruled. I didn't actually own any of the games it covered except for Nemesis and Super Mario Land but I was really fascinated by reading about games I figured I'd never play when I was a kid, idk why

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

remember when memes were still called image macros?
I used to get annoyed at this distinction and constantly went off on people for not using "meme" correctly until I realised what I was doing was kind of like defending Richard Dawkins so now I don't give a poo poo.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the act of making and disseminating an image macro is a meme, and certain image macro templates are memes, and referring to image macros as "memes" is a meme, and every second i am alive is torment.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Those arrow keys. :staredog:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How did 60 become the Good Number For Good Gamers in the first place?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hotmail is garbage, Excite and Another are the wave of the future

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I saw one selling Rosetta Stone products one time in the Orlando airport I think. Seems a little late at that point but what do I know?
I've seen Rosetta Stone stuff for sale in airports every time I've had a connecting flight in the US the past few years. Only recall seeing a vending machine once, though; usually it's someone sitting alone at a lovely little mall kiosk type thing.

e: I definitely saw one in DC last summer but thinking about it the last time I was in the states before that was like 2007, which I just realised was very nearly a decade ago now, so idk

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

UIApplication posted:

What the heck was the name of that web app from like 4 years ago where you took turns playing songs dj style
Turntable was the one that got shuttered, I think plug.dj might still be around though?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I never played the original Outpost, but I definitely spent hundreds of hours playing its sequel, which apparently had nothing in common with the first one gameplaywise. Best C&C knockoff ever made imo.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sir_Charles posted:

anyone remember angelfire websites with nothing but dragonball z gifs?

i remember that from around 2001 until whenever naruto was a thing it was Very Shameful And Unmature to have a dbz avatar or username on all the forums i posted on, and years later it wrapped back around to being cool as f*ck

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

net send /users This computer will shut down in 5 minutes.

Easy to do when the computer network credentials are set to default/admin 123456 password, or not even a password at all.
When I was like 14 I taught a couple sixth formers in my house about a cool command called "net send *". the next morning everyone who logged onto the school computers was greeted with dozens of messages helpfully informing us about which teachers had big gaping vaginas. it was a lot harder to do fun computer stuff after that

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

triple posting like whoa

Vanagoon posted:

I hate you, You hate me
We're a hosed up family.
And a shot rang out and a thud he hit the floor,
no more purple dinosaur!
joy to the world, cuz barney's dead
we barbecued his head
what happened to his body
we flushed it down the potty
and round and round it goes,
and round and round it goes

less a computer relic than a 90s elementary school relic but

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ah yes the I'm Going To Download Some Epic Skin`s, To Make The Computer Look Like Windows Long Horn period

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Remember forums? I miss forums.

I'm only sorta trying to make a funny here. That period from around 2000-2007 when there were shitloads of vbulletin/phpbb message boards focused on niche interests with maybe 100 regulars at any given time was great fun. A few of the gaming forums I used to frequent had a plugin installed that placed health/experience bars under people's avatars, with values calculated from stuff like their posts per day or time since they joined.

One amazing thing I saw happen a few times across multiple communities was bad posters getting sufficiently fed up with being flamed to post dramatic I'm Leaving Forever threads that linked to their own proboards/invisionfree sites. They tended to follow the same format: dozens of subforums full of threads they'd posted all at once over the space of a couple hours, hoping in vain to generate activity and make the boards look populated. And more often than not they had a .tk domain for them :allears:

Usually you could tell it was like 11-13 year old kids doing that stuff, I remember at least a couple times it was dudes in their 30s melting down over not having the approval of edgy internet teenagers though

Pretty good has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jul 2, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

re: early days of webcomics, I read Ozy and Millie dedicatedly for maybe three years before I found out what a furry was. I remember sending the guy behind it a long rambling email saying he deserved to be in newspapers when I was 12.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Armacham posted:

I always played my game boy with headphones so the Pokemon music is seared into my synapses.
This reminded me that there was this bizarre social stigma about playing a game boy with the sound on at the school I moved to in 1999. Like, it was somehow "babyish" to not have the volume turned off, it wasn't even an "it's annoying to other people" thing. Using headphones was the absolute worst thing you could do because that meant people would see that you really cared about video game noises and that was just awful and sad.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

This makes me so profoundly sad. What level school was this? If it were like junior high/middle school I could understand how some arbitrary set of social mores had formed that declared digital beeping was uncool, but it still breaks my heart to envision a place where this would not be appreciated
Like 10-13yos. Around the same time Pokemon had become certifiably Very Gay And Sad And For Babies and this was before GTA3 was out, even. Kids have always been insecure little shits.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Pending somewhat corrected Wikipedia article (battling with some biased mods)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I miss when my romsite of choice used to host their stuff as .7z archives that'd contain every known dump of a game + hacks/translations. Downloading mario world/a link to the past and having like 50 hacks of varying scope and quality to screw around in was brilliant.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A childhood relic I'm beginning to feel like I'll never see again is the collection of edutainment games they had on the computers at my primary school. They were a bunch of Acorns, not sure what model, running RISC OS I guess? The ones that stick out in my mind are Arcventure, which was half archaeology dig sim and half isometric time travel adventure kinda stuff; an Around The World In 80 Days game that worked like a CYOA mixed in with puzzles based around maths and general knowledge; another called Aztec (?) that functioned similarly but was all about being thrown back in time in central America and looking for a way back to the future; and this other science themed one where you arrive on an empty space station and have to figure out what's been going on. Other than Arcventure, which I feel like I've mentioned on SA before, there's very little information on them online so I guess they had a limited release, like they were only sold directly to school or something? Every now and then I trawl romsites looking for some sign of them and I always come up short :(

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The idea that there are cro magnons out there who's television experience is sub-subpar makes me SSJ2 Goku – sometimes even SSJ 3 Goku – levels of pissed the gently caress off

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:rock:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

im trying to get navy seals to run on the psp and its such a pain to get running holy poo poo

like on the 3ds it was straight up drag and drop. on the psp the engines ive found are literally untested on hardware and just distributed with an eboot file like 'lol you'll need the quake game data. anyways peace'

mod loading? engine differences? where to put the game data in the first place? nah
This is probably gonna be a completely useless anecdote post buuuut I remember playing through a good chunk of Quake 1 on a 1.50 firmware psp like a decade ago. I'm almost positive I followed a guide on the qj.net forums to get it working since that was the de facto psp homebrew place while that scene was at its peak, no idea if that place even exists anymore though.

Man, I really loved all the cool poo poo I got my psp to do. I was bummed when I bought it because it came loaded with 1.51 or whatever firmware update it was that specifically blocked the original exploit, but it didn't take long for someone to come out with a firmware downgrader. When GTA came out and required 2.00, I had to decide whether I was more interested in portable GTA than portable Super Mario All-Stars. And then eloader appeared not too long afterwards and oh man, you mean I can have both? GTA cheatdevice was an impressive little utility, too; on top of things like invulnerability/vehicle spawning, you could crank up the clock speed to 333MHz and fix the game's lovely framerate at the expense of a big chunk of battery life. The last time I played around with my PSP before leaving it at a relative's place was in 2010 and by that point there were shitloads of different flavours of custom firmwares with different capabilities, it owned.

I'd be so into a writeup on psp homebrew. Didn't realise just how nostalgic I am about it until just now. Or even how long it's really been since those days, drat.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Skoll posted:

I'd love to see Cineamasscre and Nostalgia Critic review the Nintendo Classic Edition.
I'd like to see them lie down in a ditch

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Back in 2009/2010 my bro and I had a freesat box and through it we discovered the magic of English language NHK programming and Nigerian z-movies. No clue if that kinda thing is still possible.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

I miss NHK. There's something soothing about watching some guy get super excited about abalone fishing or pottery made using traditional region specfici techniques.
Good news, most (all?) of Begin Japanology is on youtube. Also Peter Barakan is my absolute dude :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is my poo poo right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeVqTLvGN5k

Also, anyone remember that completely inexplicable demoscene PS3 "game" that Sony published?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS8StSFxxc