Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Pop quiz, hotshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

PromethiumX posted:

those things died the instant CDR's came out and rightfully so. god drat what a poo poo piece of media. remember the click of death?

I remember hearing a lot about that but mine was fine for as long as I had it.

CD-Rs were cool and everything but like that other guy said, burning was really slow and unreliable. Also the discs were single-use and pretty expensive at first. ZIP drives hung around for a long time in graphic design and stuff. Only USB MSDs completely stomped them out.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I do remember being one of the only people in my school with a CD-R drive though, I did make a little money off kids wanting to copy things :slick:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Well, ok. Dialup modems. Also yes, I live in the sticks and have a BLAZING FAST line-of-sight wireless setup. Just a dish-type antenna pointed at a mountain and a PoE power injector in the house. :toot:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Haha, no it's not. It's pretty drat good for what it is though, when I moved here I was pretty much convinced I'd have no choice other than satellite with data caps. I get a rock solid 8 Mb/s which is good enough for HD Netflix, I'm happy.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Yeah I literally have no other choice. DSL would be great, people a couple miles away from me are getting 12 Mb for half of what I'm paying. :911:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

karma_coma posted:

what was that NES emulator that was also all about poop for some reason? nesticle or something?

MUDs were fun and I think a few are still around for some horrible reason.

Nesticle. THANKS   SHITMAN

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

As you can see, this is a PlayStation black disc. Cut number 1 contains computer data, so please, don't play it. But you probably won't listen to me anyway, will you.

:twisted:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Wicker Man posted:

I remember being at my cousin/Aunt's house, and staring wistfully at these screens. I begged, but it just wasn't happening.

A kid at school gave me the shareware and that's all I had for a long time, until one Christmas I convinced my mom to get me Doom 2 (on CD!) :aaaaa:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

If I have learned anything during my time on these gay forums it's that autistic people loving LOVE degaussing and taking about how they miss degaussing and attempting to translate the degaussing noise their monitor made into text.

KROOOOOOOONNGGGGGGGGGGG

click

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Rise of the Triad owned.

Buttcoin purse posted:

It was so ugly compared to DOOM which came out at least a year before it :barf:

One of the id Software guys (Tom Hall) got kicked out of the company while they were making Doom, so he went on to make RotT without the benefit of John Carmack's spergy wizardry.

e: Still a fun game though. I think I remember it instantly killing you and printing some snarky message if you tried to use Doom cheat codes.

Skeleton Ape has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Dec 29, 2015

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

:greencube:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I have a cassette adapter. I'm not kidding.

:hf:

Through which I stream all my poo poo in Google Music. The future is now

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

It took a long time for them to figure out how to make people pay for Windows XP.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Remember it? poo poo, I just uninstalled it from my father in law's new laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

My first mp3 player:

Just enough space to make the BEST PLAYLIST EVER (of poorly encoded dance music)

These things were awesome, I loved that you could pull it apart and the one piece was just a USB flash drive. I had the 256 MB one, it had a screen: