Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Remember when you had only a certain number of minutes or texts each month and if you went over you had to pay extra money?

i guess technically i still have a certain number of minutes that i am not supposed to exceed but i have no idea what it is because i use wi-fi calling and barely talk on the phone much anyway because i have no friends.

even when i go out of the country i dont have to worry about texts thanks to t-mobiles awesome international stuff built into all their plans. the minutes rack up outside the US though so wi-fi calling is still the move when possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies i am so proud that it holds up this many years later :3:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

Nah, now they're moving over to "unlimited data! [56k after 1GB]".

it's an improvement over having to pay once you exceed your initial limit at least. the ones ive seen take you down to 3G though

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i dont think ive ever gone over on my data. i dont do much on my phone. and when i do i guess i'm always on wifi. i stream music while i drive around but never for long periods of time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah i have tmobile but the signal is pretty bad especially outside of the city and inside big office buildings. But its so cheap and their international stuff is the poo poo. AT&T cost more especially when traveling but i never had service issues even in elevators

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i had completely forgotten about having to rewind VCR tapes before returning them to blockbuster. occasionally we would rent something and it wouldnt be rewound and my dad would get real miffed about it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

You'll never see VHS make a comeback like vinyl or even cassette tapes have, right? They have no advantages, and a lot of them even cut off the picture for pan and scan. I just don't see it happening, not even for retro fun times.

yeah i cant really think of an avenue for them to make a comeback. it's much less likely to find somebody who still has a vcr versus people that still have turntables or even cassette decks.

it's not like people ever went gaga over vcr packaging and extras like they do with vinyl and tapes even. the vhs tapes have 0 aesthetic value.

if you wanna retro nerd out over video formats it seems to me LaserDisc is king

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I used to crack games i bought just so i wouldnt have to put the cd into the drive for no reason other than to prove i had the game disc

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Metal gear solid 1 had something similar where you couldnt advance beyond maybe 1/4 or so of the game without a code that was written on the cd case or the manual. I cant remember which but i rented it from blockbuster and was provided neither and i got really really frustrated as a kid

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
didnt mgs1 have another dumb gimmick like you had to plug your controller in as player 2 to beat one of the bosses :cripes:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the new comcast X1 cable box is pretty decent. the UI is not as responsive as i had hoped it would be but that seems to be because of lovely programming / the box hardware itself rather than network latency. i don't see how JavaScript could be being used on the X1 box but I could be mistaken.

What cable boxes definitely use JS? Cause the JavaScript engine itself is pretty fast and optimized these days but the stuff people write with JS and other web technologies can be just as bad as any software especially with networking in the mix. Like performing a bunch of HTTP transactions every time you add a letter to a search query = bad software design.

I didn't know people re-mapped their channels to their personal liking though. That seems like a pretty bad idea. I've had TVs where I could select my favorite stations and then access them in a shortcut menu and that was always enough for me. But I have memorized the local cable stations for decades now and they haven't changed much (except now you have to add 8 in front of the channel to get the HD version or some easy pattern like that).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

lol

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there is a pretty good story about old webhome pages

http://www.codersnotes.com/notes/under-construction/

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there is a pretty cool story on ars technica about crazy people that still use OS 9

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/an-os-9-odyssey-why-do-some-mac-users-still-rely-on-16-year-old-software/

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Efexeye posted:

i miss turntable.fm so much

it was a really cool idea but the implementation was really clunky and it just never really got a foothold.

had some fun times in rooms though before when it first came out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
sounds good. i don't think this thread ever had a problem with flaming/hatespeech.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

8 track betamax posted:

only when we have to bash amiga faggots

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
linux is really awesome and useful and all but if you use it for personal computing youre just kind of a weird loser imho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Uhh I think you'll find Mac is a linux.

actually it's a unix

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you still need a desktop or a laptop with mouse keyboard and preferably an external monitor to get Real Work done imho :smuggo:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
mechanical keyboards own. i wish i were typing on one right now. i have one at work and it's so loud ... i give approaching 0 fucks though my coworkers can all eat a dick haha

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Skoll posted:

Since GBS is back, should this thread go back to GBS?

mod of pyf requested it stay here :shrug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i think someone wrote an xkcd comic about this situation

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Doesn't this describe pretty much all of those open source alternatives to not-free software? They're all made by teams of Linux grognards anyway right?

yes. all the good free software is devoid of any significant GUI: programming languages, compilers, servers, os for running all of those things

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
developing good UIs usually takes two additional roles at least beyond a programmer and also takes a lot of time and reasoning and user testing and going back to the drawing board; none of which is very well accommodated by open source project structures. Even big companies with the resources to pull it off routinely fail! (Microsoft imho)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ribbon ui is terrible and i still cant use it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Gonz posted:

I had a Iomega Zip Drive at some point. It was terrible.

i don't know which technology came out first for PCs but before CD-R/W was ubiquitous Iomega Zip wasn't that bad in an ignorance-is-bliss type of situation given that the next best thing was 3.5" floppy. and this was all well before USB flash drives of course.

i still have an old piece of music recording equipment i use to dick around with that takes zip disks as its storage medium. i got like a hundred of them at a pawn shop for $5.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dunno that the ipod shuffle did that well but it was definitely marketed at a niche of runners who wanted to wear its unique shape and color as a status symbol badge but that never really panned out. I see people jogging now with big iphones and androids strapped to their arms and it looks ridiculous and very uncomfortable so maybe they were onto something

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
all my good audio equipment was inherited and it's all loving awesome compared to what you can get today (all purchased roughly 75-'90). I bought one thing myself, a Kenwood amp in the early 00s, that i thought was pretty crap at the time but is still in service in my home. It sounds good compared to modern stuff at the same price point but sadly i lost the remote which is the only modern feature to differentiate it from my old silver faces.

if you dont have anything like that in the family just start scouring craigslist. some people know what this equipment is worth but most dont and you can get great deals if youre patient

thathonkey has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Oct 13, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Haha that's awesome

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a heap of cheap 80s junk, but it works and gets good reception.

2x25 watts, according to the spec sheet, anyway. Probably more like 2x15.

Now a days even the shittiest stuff made in the 80s and 90s seems better than what you can buy new :shrug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
can you explain a bit about it like what it was used for or the strange duplicated key arrangement

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which keys are duplicated? (:smuggo:)

drat i almost edited it but i did not think anyone would be bold enough to call me on such pedantry

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

And which lab did they build you in? Are you one of the later models?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

I see classic Marantz gear pop up every once in a while on Craigslist, and it's hard to resist buying it. I love the look of it.

I havent posted in this thread in a while but I recently got my silver face amp recapped and cleaned. I got it maybe 5-6 years ago and it started having some issues. Anyway, works like brand new now and sounds loving fantastic. I was shopping for a Marantz but they were just too expensive and hard to find so I decided on this Sansui:

There are plenty of good models like this that are easier to find. With some light work they can sound like new and will probably run forever with some simple maintenance.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I thought for sure this was what the power icon was meant to evoke

But no, turns out it's a 1 and 0 superimposed :shrug:

:doh: never occurred to me that the power symbols had logical meaning

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
can anyone explain why frag is spelled with two g's? ive never seen that before, except in this pic... this is some mandela effect type of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It’s like how there was a time when “nerd” was frequently spelled “nurd”

there was not