Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Are these considered relics? I still regularly use them all and they are all connected to the internet via wifi. They also hold their value a lot better than the latest Ryzen will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Are these considered relics? I still regularly use them all and they are all connected to the internet via wifi. They also hold their value a lot better than the latest Ryzen will.

Also a few floppies.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

My first PC was a 33Mhz Cyrix 486DLC that my parents paid way too much for in the early 90s.

The 486DLC was technically a 386DX with the 486 instruction set and a small L1 cache. The 33Mhz model had performance similar to a 25Mhz 486SX, but had the slight advantage of being able to use a 387 FPU.

Being a barely teenage brat at the time I insisted to my friends that it was at least as fast as their 486DX computers and in fact more letters after the CPU model was better!

Hi five for fellow 486/33 person! We got it in 1993 and it was way too expensive for my mom to pay. But I am thankful.

That PC served me very well. I only got a better computer in 1999 when I got a proper job. I basically missed most new games between 1995-1999. Which is probably good because I was forced to do more productive things with my PC.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sweevo posted:

Only the 486 had doubled and tripled versions (DX2 and DX4). The 386 just came as the SX and DX, which also mean completely different things on the 386 vs the 486

With 486 SX meant SuX!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mantle posted:

I tried every imaginable way to manually manage my memory to get Dark Forces to run on my 386DX/20 with 6MB RAM, but it wouldn't run. I got Slackware to install on it though, 5 floppies!

I installed Slackware for the first time maybe 1996. I think I still had a 14.4k modem then. It was quite the ordeal, downloading the install disks (it was way more than 5 floppies then), writing them to actual disks and then installing it.

I did end up really enjoying it and it was good to learn Linux as a teen. Helped a lot as a future computer toucher.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I said good. No flight simulator is good. (Unless you count Corncob 3D as a simulator.)

I ordered Corncob 3D randomly from one of those mail order PD disk places back then. You only had the name of the game and a few words of description to go by. Sometimes you found something good, mostly you got crap. Corncob was one of the better ones.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK you... ordered Corncob 3D based on the name???

I mean it's a great game but I only got it because of a review in a magazine.

Nah I think it was more the one sentence description. Probably like "Amazing 3D simulator where you shoot aliens"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm a member of a retro-computing flea market group on Facebook and it amazes me how many members will just straight-up list things like old tools, separators, potatoes, lovely bicycles, etc on there. Is this a common occurrence? e: I mean common other than in that particular group.

Like everything in the internet, private, well moderated groups are good. Pubbie groups are bad.

I rarely log in to FB these days but I'm in two closed retro computer sales groups and they are well moderated and on topic. I've also bought and sold in both.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

Here's a proper tech relic, from a more civilized age. Thread:

https://twitter.com/gravislizard/status/1444134722938892293

Similar old capture stuff.

Prince of Persia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKgLfqOVHco

9 Fingers Amiga demo by Spaceballs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4M7e79XTYk

Making of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgriMuXZ3QY

The low poly vector video compression they used makes it still look cool today. A unique style instead of just being bad fuzzy video.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bargearse posted:

I love seeing these weird text mode colour schemes from before everyone just kinda settled on blue and white.

Most BIOSes had several color schemes. Blue and white was the default but you can see in that screenshot that F2/F3 scroll through the list of colors.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

What a delightful old BIOS!:

American Megatrends sounds like a cyberpunk corporation both in name and the old logo.

I googled a bit and they are actually a relatively small operation (1000 people) but due to how omnipresent they have been in PCs ever since I got my first 486, I though they would be some huge conglomerate.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cat Hassler posted:

I found my 3rd gen iPod and was surprised it charged up. Then I thought it was busted because I tried touch scrolling on the display and nothing was happening

I think I had the 4th gen iPod. It was the last monochrome iPod. I love the look of the interface. It used the old mac Chicago font and it was nice and clear.

It lost a lot of charm when they went color.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wish mp3 player chat was on a slightly longer cycle...

(serif fonts are cool, I use Go Mono for programming: https://go.dev/blog/go-fonts)

Civilized people use script fonts for programming.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Beautiful machine!
That reminds me that I tried having my modern Creative desktop speakers next my CRT monitor and they caused horrible distortion to the image. Speakers needed to be especially designed to work like that so that the magnets would not mess with the picture.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

Fired up my Commodore 486 for the first time since probably the start of the year (after spending half the afternoon searching for the PS/2 to AT keyboard adapter)

The BIOS battery still works! Quickly wrote down the HDD settings as the BIOS does not do a HDD auto detect

Still getting annoyed by the SB 16 that I have in it. It is a PnP model, and it seems half the time the PnP drivers will recognise it, the other half not. Perhaps I should look for a non-PnP one, but drat old expansion cards are getting pricy

I have a first gen PnP Pentium 75MHz motherboard. It sucks for both PnP and non-PnP stuff. I was able to find a normal SB16 years ago and it's great. But every time I get something new it's a hassle because you need to set the IRQ stuff in cards via jumpers but also figure out how to get the PnP BIOS to accept the right IRQ for a card slot.

It's not much of a problem anymore because it has everything I want now so I don't change things.

Oh! And the BIOS also has the Y2K bug! If you try to set a year after 2000 it just resets to 1995 <3

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Modland FTP is one of the larger archives. It has the usual stuff but also tons of really obscure formats.

https://modland.com/pub/modules/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqc6yRIHiW0

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I couldn’t imagine watching movies and sports stuff exclusively on a computer screen. That stuff is so much better on bigger screens IMO.

I watch most movies and shows from my laptop lying in bed. If you're watching alone it's fine. The screen is bigger than a huge tv watched from a couch relative to your distance anyway.

A big TV with a good sound system is great, but I'm not enough of a film/tv watcher anymore that it would make sense.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

longview posted:

As Cliff mentions in the video, the range was better indoors, so it's almost certainly due to cellular interference.
The density of cell towers using that frequency range now is insane compared to when that device came out so wouldn't have made sense to spend money on good RF front ends and good filters to reject cellular frequencies at the time.

These days SAW filters are typically used for devices operating in the 900 MHz range, but I think those were a lot more expensive at the time. They're used now since the performance without them is what he shows in the video.

Keep in mind this was back when GSM phones would consistently interfere with TVs and stereo systems, nothing in the 90s was designed around the idea that everyone would be carrying a 2 W pulsed RF transmitter everywhere they go.

Speaking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINQNedOxM8

Forget the 56k modem sound, that brings me back to visiting my grandma, leaving the phone by the TV, and hearing the tell-tale morse code like interference, and knowing that the phone would ring in about 1 second.

That noise was super common at night clubs for a while. Eventually people learned to keep their phones away from the mixing desk. There was even a popular dance track that sampled the interference noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K20BS-1BPjk

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

evobatman posted:

I have never understood private trackers. What exactly do you get there that you do not get on general open sites? I can see a use case for extremely niche and/or highly curated content, but for general TV shows and movies why bother?

I used to use a pro audio tracker that was amazing. It had all possible VST instruments and tons and tons of even obscure sample libraries.

I haven't had the need for general private trackers either. If it's popular, it can be found anywhere, if it's obscure it won't be in a general private tracker either.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

It's not really mod but TGV's KiloMix '98 that was built into Rebirth RB-338 was one of the first 'non commercial' tracks I put on my 32MB MP3 Player.

EDIT: Found it easily enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfjmo451aGM

I had to struggle with a 486/33 until 1999 because poor. I made music on Fast Tracker II back then and when I went to my friend's place and he showed me Rebirth I was blown away. It was a really cool piece of software and the fact that it was built to mimic the hardware synths was more interesting than if it was just a normal sequencer based software.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I try to make an Amiga ProTracker chip tune every xmas. I still haven't figured out this year's song, but here are some of my previous ones. If/when I get a new tune done I will share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52WYY2EB6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFNofivseM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BcCJwzRumk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs7BEGz4tg4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

The parts I needed for giving the Plus/4 some preventative maintenance came in the past couple of days.

This included power adapters so I can use my newer C64 PSU with the Plus/4 (thanks Commodore for using different power connectors), a 9 pin to mini DIN joystick connector (thanks Commodore for using a different connector for joysticks on the 264 series of 8 bit computers), and heat sinks for the TED and CPU.

First off need to start with the Plus/4 itself

I love the wacky cursor keys.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hey, do you have PM? I’ve got some questions about this setup for something I’m doing for work relating to old browser support.

Sales people promised the client your project would support IE 1.5?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tech Relics: I ordered a brand new tech relic to help get my other tech relics going

I have an USB floppy drive too! It feels kinda weird to hear and see a floppy appear as a drive on a modern computer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also, weirdly, windows 10 appears to have not so great floppy drive support? Either that or my drive is flaky

When I put a disk in and open the a: drive, windows reads the disk. If I go up one level to Computer, swap the disk and then go back into a: it just shows me the contents of the old disk without re-reading the disk. I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in to get it to read the new disk

Is there a way to get windows to stop caching the drive contents and force it to reload every time I access the disk?

Also it’s entirely possible I’m doing this wrong since it’s been forever since I’ve had to think about floppies

Tech Relics: Getting floppies working correctly in windows 10

It might be your drive. I did a quick test with my USB floppy drive and it reloaded correctly when I swapped the disk.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sorry to bring current events here, but my usual way of bringing retro comfort in stressful situations is to have a Twitter feed running on my C64. The tweets are clearly coming from the 80s so it's not that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-BQVx2zbM

lobsterminator has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Feb 24, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kazy posted:

Is this BitlBee? Currently trying to get a Windows 98 machine online with something retro-y in addition to Browservice, so I've been looking for options.

It's a custom made simple Twitter app with Node.js which I run over telnet. I tailored the layout and colors to work nicely on the C64 screen.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

George RR Fartin posted:

....you don't happen to have a github or something you might share with the rest of the class? (No pressure if you don't - I know I've done projects where the end product was fine but essentially irreproducible, or any one of a million other reasons you might not wish to make it public).

Here it is. It's very simple.

https://github.com/sauhir/twit

To use it you need to get API tokens from https://developer.twitter.com/

Then copy config.js.example to config.js and fill the details.

Run "node app.js" and you will get instructions for the command line parameters.

Oh and you need to run "npm install" first to install the dependencies.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

There's a BBS version of wordle optimized for the C64. Being a BBS it should work with any terminal, but I guess the character sets assume PETSCII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDlWmLjZ4vY

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Finally dug out my old 1541, that was stored in a cold chicken house for over a decade, then on my cold veranda for... maybe a decade. Opened it up to do a cursory bug cum mouse piss check and it seemed pretty clean - no rust or anything either!

So now it can sit in my heated spare room for a decade or so!

The 1541 is a beast. Has its own built in power supply and weighs more than the actual computer.

The 1541-II upgrade got a lot smaller and changed to an external power brick.

And the interesting thing about the C64 disk drives is that they have the same CPU as the C64 as a disk controller. And they were still the slowest drives in the market!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Zip disks were a thing in the advertising industry well into the early 2000s because they were still the best way to easily transport large print layouts etc. Soon USB sticks and fast internet made them obsolete, but they lived on in some industries well after they were dead for the consumers.

I remember getting an internal Zip drive for my new home computer back then because I needed them often enough.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

NFOs actually have to be laid out in a specific way, because sitescripts will use them to relay information into IRC. First time I laid one out I did not know this, and the channel bot was just '????'. Same with SFV, which was more for verification on sites with people racing the files than for end users.

And originally they were about 40 columns wide because in the dominant BBS softwares you'd have the screen split in half between the file names and the info.

I really miss BBS's :smith:

Every BBS had it's own feel and userbase and there was a great feeling of discovery when you dialed random numbers from a list you found and came across a cool BBS.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

e2: ah on further reflection, that screenshot isn't utilizing NFO files, but the smaller file_id.diz which were more compact for displaying in such a manner.

Oh true, I also forgot the difference between nfo and diz files!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Way back in the day, the most used terminal program for home computers in Finland was Sypterm. It was given away for free on a diskette by the bank SYP, so people could use their on-line banking system. Fun times renting a modem from the Postal and Telecommjnications Facility and loading up Sypterm to access Rauma Mailbox RAMBO.

Man I know it's not tech but it's wild to remember there used to be like 20 banks, not two.

That reminds me. I have this Minitel based terminal gathering dust. I'd love to turn it into a dumb terminal that could be used for telnet, but it uses a weird non-standard serial line that would need an adapter to work with anything else. It's doable but haven't gotten to it yet.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Doccers posted:

So I ran 3 iterations of a BBS.

The first was a HERMES board on a macintosh LC,
then I shifted to a 486 and WWIV.
Shortly after that, I switched to a multi-line VBBS board, running under OS/2 for multitasking.
I swear I still have that thing backed up to tape somewhere around here...
The friend I had who got me into BBSing... still runs theirs.
As in, not only as a TELNET bbs, but actual dialup. and ISDN.

I never ran a real BBS but I did set up several BBSes just for fun and sometimes a few friends would call them. It was fun to do the ANSI menus and set up doors etc.

I think the first one was with Remote Access.
Then I had a :filez: PCBoard.
And finally Daydream running under Linux.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

i just bought one of those a couple months ago for $100
i have zero need for one, it was just too cool to pass up, i've been using it to bootleg philips cdi games
the OEM ink cartridges are really expensive but the model is old enough that you can just stab the empty ones with a syringe to fill it back up

Ok this is impressive!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's a common cliche of stories about people saying the internet is a fad and BBS would never die, but when I started using the internet I think around 1996, it did feel in many ways inferior to BBSes.
The early web pages were super slow to download and they looked like poo poo, even the professional pages.
And the text based services like USENET felt inferior to BBSes because BBSes had super fancy color ANSI menus and well developed systems. And USENET was just ugly text.

The thing that really got me excited about the internet was IRC. I continued to use IRC regularly until about 2010 and through the years made many good friends and even girlfriends through it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Is this a tech relic yet?

:corsair:

I love the era when PC laptop manufacturers thought adding dozens of stickers on the computer made it look cool and appealing.

Reminds me of this video, which is a relic itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My Pentium 75 has a radically divisive political sticker.