Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Powered Descent posted:

These days, it's universally acknowledged that the best available release is the quasi-legal Harmy's Despecialized Edition, which basically strives to re-create the laserdisc version but using the highest-quality elements available of everything.

Never underestimate the power of fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

The current best version is 4K77, the 4K scanned restoration of an original Technicolor film print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017

evobatman posted:

From what I can tell, the 4k77 will be the most accurate to 1977 version, while the Harmys editions will be actually watchable and enjoyable.

Uh, what does "watchable and enjoyable" mean? Harmy's edits are reconstructions; 4K77 is the real thing.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Weirdly dismissive, ITT.

I've seen it, it's good, better than Harmy's and certainly better than the LD, yay Star Wars. Watch whichever version you like best, I guess. Lots of love.

First of May
May 1, 2017

No, 4K77 is from a dramatically better print. The SS edition was a copy of a copy with significant color fading and damage, 4K77 is from an original Technicolor print that a private collector loaned out based on how good SSE was.

First of May
May 1, 2017

There are, but not restored to the same pristine degree.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Humphreys posted:

Careful! Remember when lowtax perma'd someone who was using a WebTV device browser to access the forums.

Lowtax can't hurt us anymore

First of May
May 1, 2017

There's an interesting book called Racing The Beam that is all about the tricks used to get the Atari to go beyond its limits, with some development stories for notable games. Relevant to the discussion, but y'all probably know about it already!

First of May
May 1, 2017

Absolute legendary clapback

First of May
May 1, 2017

Gonz posted:

On your mark
Get set
We’re riding on the Internet
Cyberspace
Set free
Hello virtual reality
Interactive appetite
Searching for a website
A window to the world
And to get online
Take a spin and you're in with the techno set
You're going surfing on the internet

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spence/status/1591225142784708609

Don't dox my e-girlfriend from 25 years ago.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Some of my favorite Techmoan videos are the ones where he methodically opens and tests hundreds of discarded Japanese minidisc players.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Good gangtag that.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Horace posted:

Every one of his videos is “ugh, I’m not watching an hour long video about this” and then you watch an hour long video about that.

I watch at 1.25x speed, but their video drops are always a must-watch click.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

Same here. The only danger is that you get used to that speed, and when you switch back to normal speed for something, evvvvreyonnne sounnnnds druunk.

I listen to certain podcasts at 0.6x and I experience the opposite*. If I listen to them normal they sound like they are on crack.

*I listen to these podcasts to fall asleep.

First of May
May 1, 2017

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You're supposed to put the monitor icon in the trash can to degauss.

Ah yes, Apple's flawless intuitive design at work.

First of May
May 1, 2017

The first beer to automatically designate drivers for you.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Data Graham posted:

More like when you ask for a Big Mac or something, they will try to sell you a combo meal and they'll say "oh, just the sandwich?" no matter how you emphasize "just the burger"

I just assumed it's because their hamburgers don't meet the legal definition of a hamburger, so they call them sandwiches.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Just reclassify the internet as a fax machine, bing bang bosh.

First of May
May 1, 2017

Here it is on Threadreader

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1761548861896606014.html

First of May
May 1, 2017

There was the undocumented bootloader hidden in Alien Resurrection for PS1 that let you play any copied disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB7iUCX4KQ

First of May
May 1, 2017

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there any reason it has to be sodium vapor lamps? Wouldn't any singe-wavelength LED work here? I'm making a big assumption about a bright enough LED source existing.

I'm not an expert, but I think yes, any single-wavelength would work, as long as it isn't in the color image you're trying to capture and you can notch/split it during recording, so one recording captures only that one wavelength and the other recording captures everything except that one wavelength.

Sodium vapor is good because it's mature technology and it emits that weird yellow wavelength that RGB LEDs don't emit, so it's easier to isolate. You could use UV or something as long as you had the right filters for it and your recording system was sensitive to it. Back when Disney was doing it it might have been one of the only narrow wavelength lighting technologies that wouldn't have interfered with the three color film process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First of May
May 1, 2017

I used to watch the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on E! before the OJ trial, and then they switched to 100% daily coverage of that. I tuned in every day hoping the trial would be over so I could watch the Smothers Brothers again. When the trial finally ended, E! completely changed their schedule and the Smothers Brothers were no more.

OJ Simpson killed the Smothers Brothers.