Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

His mom is hot.

Microwave is older than I imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. I ain’t paying Elon ad dollars

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My friends uncle at Nokia

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh my god that screenshot. I spent so much time in audiograbber and completely forgot it existed until I saw your post

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The last paragraph is the true tech relic :shobon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

oooooh

I had a Cisco wifi card like that which could do wardriving, or for me, warwalking with the laptop in my bag, on and scanning, with a single earbud up to my ear to listen for pings

it was fun

Netstumbling still works these days! You can also Bluetooth stumble. Whilst unemployed some years back, I built a gnarly netstumbling rig out of boredom. The only difference today is you want to turn the ping off because it pings nonstop everywhere

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love that video phone calls were second only to flying cars in the “coming any day now” and “wildly futuristic” categories, we got that technology delivered to us, it’s easy, quick, and works great, and everyone is like “ew, don’t FaceTime me, call me if you must, but I’d really rather you text me”

They delivered us the future and we hate it lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol holy poo poo that remote

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lol it took me way too long to figure out what was going on with this picture

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm trying to do my household budget. How much do you guys spend a week on blank minidiscs?

I try to limit it to $500 a week

For real though film photography is the new tech relic analog storage moneyhole for me. A roll of Kodak portra 800 is $20! :retrogames:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Letmebefrank posted:

No need for engineers any more!
(Basically testing the android app Imgur upload)

At least IBM is insinuating that your engineers can be freed up to do more useful tasks than basic calculation. that same ad today would talk up how you can just shitcan everyone and let IBM’s WatsonGPT be the head of every department at your company.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Janus cycle is very underrated, I like pretty much all their videos.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MSDOS 4.0 just went open source.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensource/2024/04/25/open-sourcing-ms-dos-4-0/

They also released a beta version of dos 4 that was designed to multitask :psypop:

Beve Stuscemi has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Apr 28, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The beosystem is sustained by the smoke of marlboro reds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is a thing of beauty

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Speaking of things of beauty, I recently picked up a Sun Microsystems Sparcstation 5 in desperate need of some TLC.

These are very important computers to me, as during my formative years of becoming a computer toucher, I had a high school job at a local business where all of the engineers and some of the IT staff used these Sun SS5 boxes. These were amazing computers to me. While the rest of us plodded away on Pentium 75's with Windows 95 and ball mice, the Sun-havers were living in the future with Solaris and these brand new optical mice that seemed straight out of science fiction. I really was enthralled by the Sun machines, they were extremely untouchable for me as a broke high school kid (and lets be honest, no one outside of the enterprise and education world actually purchased these).

So now I have one, my second one, actually. That company eventually gave me a broken one after seeing how smitten I was with them, but I never got it working, and in a fit of being broke in college, I sold it, much to my regret. I am positive that 2024 me could get it running again. Anyway, I have another one, and its very dirty. It came from an auto shop, so it has basically spent its entire life inhaling shop dust. Its got some issues, its missing its left front panel piece, the model placard is pretty crusty, and in general the plastic is brittle as hell

So I'm embarking on the journey to restoring this thing. First things first, cleaning it up. I've fully disassembled it and bathed some parts in 99% ipa to get the crud off. The rest is getting hit with a wire wheel for rust and 120psi of air for the dust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

namlosh posted:

I’m curious… What kind of shop needs a Sparcstation?
Was it used to 3D model a widget that went to a CNC or something?

Given the other equipment that came out of there it was some extremely ancient inventory system that ran on green screen terminals.

If the hard drive in the SS5 is still good (and if I can get the system powered on), maybe I can find out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, it’s massively more clean now, and it powers on! I don’t have a 13w3 to vga adapter yet though, so I can’t tell if it’s booting yet

Unfortunately more brittle 90’s plastic succumbed to simply being disassembled, so I guess I have to make an eBay search for these front plates

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oooh, nice! I'll hook mine up to serial tonight and see what it says. What are you doing for an NVRAM replacement? Hacking the existing one apart, or getting a new one?

I think mine has just 32MB of RAM, which is still fine for the time it was made, but I believe it has the 170mhz processor in it. Are you going to run solaris on it, or some form of *nix?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought this one, which people in the reviews are talking about working with Sun machines

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TZG526

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got nothing on the serial output from the Sun, but apparently I need a null modem cable? I think I’m using just a straight through serial cable. I guess we’ll find out when the adapter arrives tomorrow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa, it’s an official port too

quote:

It was programmed along with other Unix-like ports of Doom by id Software programmer Dave Taylor, with support from Richard Goldstein, Bart Smaalders, and Ken Leigh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It lives! But now I have to figure this out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the NOK prompt means NOT OK, so the 2 being there sort of makes sense

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like sgi really cornered the graphics market and sun went after the server market. Although suns were big in the CAD world for a while. That was their primary use at my old job

Beve Stuscemi has a new favorite as of 03:20 on May 19, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I'm really not sure whats going on with the Sun right now. At first it was throwing that memory error, which I fixed by reseating the RAM. Then it started throwing ecache errors, which came up pretty late in the POST process, and now its throwing a ROM mapping error pretty early in the process.

code:
Power-ON Reset

MB86907 POST 2.2.3 03SEP96

Probing system memory: 32  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
Config = 88000002
512Kb ecache detected

initializing TLB
initializing cache

Allocating SRMMU Context Table
Setting SRMMU Context Register
Setting SRMMU Context Table Pointer Register
Allocating SRMMU Level 1 Table
Mapping RAM
Mapping ROM
And it just hangs there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is from serial but I also have video hooked up and I’m not getting anything. I don’t think it kicks over to the display until the post process has completed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also shout out to google groups for archiving Usenet posts, as that is where most of the good troubleshooting info on these machines is. The downside is all of the posts are from the late 90’s and early 00’s when these machines were coming out of corporate use and headed for the landfill, so most of the replies are “don’t bother fixing it, just buy a <next model in the lineup>”

:mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been doing it just over serial so far, but I can try a keyboard, I have a sun keyboard kicking around somewhere.

Doesn’t it disable serial when the KB is connected though?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which I can’t get to because it won’t get through post.

Dammit, sun, put that poo poo on a jumper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe those just switch it from RS232 to RS485 or some similar serial standard.