Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
http://www.heavensgate.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Buttcoin purse posted:

Exploding the Phone is a good book about how phreaking started.

Thanks for the book rec, ordered a copy. Looking forward to checking it out.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

JediTalentAgent posted:

Finally, I think Information Society had a release that had a a small computer program in the at the end of the tape that you could play on older tape-drive models of certain computers. There was some other early 80s group that did something similar that I can't remember.

Yeah, Information Society did that on a viny record. They hid a text file in one of the songs on Peace and Love, Inc. "The track "300bps N, 8, 1 (Terminal Mode Or Ascii Download)" is actually a text file encoded as modem tones. When decoded, the content is a tale by Kurt Harland about a bizarre but purportedly true event that took place when the band was playing in the city of Maringá, Brazil."

You can hear the "song" here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZT-1y4eeY

You can use TrueTTY or some similar program to break it out yourself, too. Just set it up for a 300 baud modem with ASCII decode, should come out pretty easy.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jan 20, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

This guys books were pretty clutch:

I still bust out these bastards from time to time:

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Feb 2, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
how in the gently caress does your laptop possibly get into being run over by your own personal vehicle? how inattentive could you possibly be?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

i'm in

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
how in the hell does this thread keep turning into car chat

edit: heres a dumb old computer thing. i dont know exactly what the hell is happening here, but one of you probably does

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Code Jockey posted:

Does Second Life still run like absolute garbage no matter what hardware you run it on?

Because I remember trying to get into it to take part in the griefing and even with computers that were at the time good spec, it ran horribly

Like I even wonder if my i5 with 32 gigs and a 750ti could get 20fps

it still runs pretty lovely, but it mostly ran that way in the past because you'd be downloading poo poo constantly from the area you were in plus like a billion miles in any direction or some poo poo so the game was always chugging because it was downloading poo poo and trying to render it at the same time. they restructured and optimized that a bit better now, so the game only really chugs bad when you're in an area that's real dense with people with their loving 2gb hair models and 4K horse cocks. I logged in the other day because of this thread and poo poo is still insane.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

some words

all of that sounds extremely rad

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

My only experience with Wired was in 2005 when my library was giving away their old magazines and I got a stack of copies of Wired from the latest 90's to the year 2000. They were laughable because almost every prediction they made about future technology, from music to the internet to video games, was completely false and hilariously dated even at that point in time.

It was weird find in out years later that some olds actually held it in esteem at one point.

i enjoyed late 90s/early 00s wired for exactly this reason. they always put me onto some dumb poo poo that would never work out but was funny/interesting to look at. poo poo all the way from second life to 1 inch tall (!!!!) flip phones.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I just love that through it all, these "tech experts" never even tried to predict the advent of the cheap capacitive touch screen and maintained the idea the AKIHABARA NUMBER ONE MINI-PHONE (hello kitty edition) was the latest and greatest.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Buca di Bepis posted:

At least MS skipped the skeuomorphism craze

that is not a real word

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Winamp still rules whips the llamas rear end

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

8 track betamax posted:

Related note.....what are ways of salvaging old thrashed hdds?

if you have old IDE hard drives, they make little docking stations you can get for like $30 that let them plug up as a SATA drive and i think they may make EXTRA FANCY ones that might let them work as USB external drives. maybe something like this. YMMV on whether or not you're able to pull anything useful off them, depending on whether or not the drive is well preserved or trashed out. i have one of these and have been able to pull things like old pics and text documents and videos off old drives fairly reliably. but depending on what you want to do with it, then it might not be your best bet.

e: when i used mine, i was pulling old drives out of some computers i had circa 1999 ~ 2005. couldnt say if they'd really work with older than that, but i had good results.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jun 15, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

sick.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Delivery McGee posted:

Sadly, GTA1 and 2 fit here. Rockstar had them free on their website around the time 4 or maybe the expansions for 3 came out, but afaik they're :filez: again, or at least don't run on most modern 64-bit computers.

I think they are files again, but steam has them available and they seem to work fine under modern systems. They don't have a price listed on the store page so I don't know what the gently caress is up with that. Maybe they still really are free. Take a look if you want. I play GTA2 just fine on steam all the time on my win10 laptop as a time killer.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

WebDog posted:

Sweet. Found out where I discovered SA.

the random shout out to stile reminded me of this classic vid, which is probably a relic on its own at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWlPz5ixk

LOWTAX AND STILE TOGETHER AT LAST.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

DrBouvenstein posted:

A few pages late to video game rental chat, but even worse than getting a photocopied manual missing pages was just getting this little white-and-blue sticker on the inside cover of the plastic clamshell:

hell i remember sometimes actually getting lucky and getting the real manual included, and some previous renter had flipped to the back of the manual with all those random "NOTES" pages no one ever used and actually bothered to hand write down all the cheat codes for the benefit of future renters of the game. poo poo was pretty legit at the time.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

UScr00ge posted:

For those who want to re-experience the BBS scene without futzing around with telnet BBSs, I definitely recommend Digital - A Love Story. It's a free game and takes a few hours to complete.

http://scoutshonour.com/digital/

this is a fun little game. thanks.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

I had a third party one (I think Mad Catz) and it was loving garbage. Green, blue, and red colors bled all over the screen and the sound crackled. It sucked.

Gotta always check for that Nintendo seal, mang

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
wait mad catz still exists?

E: sure as poo poo

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

ishikabibble posted:

They were responsible for this hearty chuckle from a while ago,

i have no words

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Speaking of some old arcades and arcade gaming: James Rolfe (AVGN) just released a video where he visits the Galloping Ghost arcade in Illinois with Doug from Nostalgia Critic and Andre from Black Nerd comedy.

These dudes are having a blast at this place, but it's also a good look inside Galloping Ghost for those of us who cant make it out there.

Check it out if you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTlQBsjp-g

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

GutBomb posted:

At a friend's house tonight they busted this out of a closet:

whew, can we get a street address for this place so the rest of us can steer clear

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Humphreys posted:

And here's where LGR talks about the Terrorpods cover art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=474ebauHEeQ&t=165s

i liked this vid a lot. LGR is generally pretty badass and fits this thread pretty well. If anyone here hasn't checked out his oddware series yet, you should:

http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB9FA1979AB986522

Basically he just reviews stupid, weird and mostly completely irrelevant dumb poo poo he finds from "virtual" pool sticks to obsolete disk drives.

e: him and techmoan need to link up and make a perfect "totally obsolete poo poo" video

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 09:21 on Nov 24, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Kind of reminds me of the first smart phone I got was the android based T-Mobile G1:

I think I got it in around 2008 after upgrading from some Nokia thing and I was really happy to not have to use T9 texting anymore. A few years after that I got an iPhone 4 and it was weird getting used to the on screen keyboard.

e: just last year I was living in Japan and was rocking this badass phone:

SoftBank Pantone 202SH.

poo poo ruled.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Pham Nuwen posted:

flip phones were really cool and I've considered importing one from Japan. What was the OS like? What applications did it come with, and could you download more/write your own?

Sorry I can't be a whole lot of help with this, mostly because everthing on the drat thing is in Japanese. I just pulled it out to take a look.

The apps it came with are all mostly standard fare for a flip phone like that: camera, web browser, calc, kanji dictionary, some game demos and the like. It does have access to a web store to download new apps and games, and I'm not sure if you can load your own, it had a data cable available but I didn't bother to buy one.

One interesting thing is it had a suite of services all tied into Yahoo!, including some strange TV streaming service I never got to work.

I had a pay as you go plan over there, so I didn't have a data plan really, but the phone was actually totally free with my $10/mo no contract plan so you could probably take the plunge and find that model online for extremely cheap.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Domestic Amuse posted:

Are the Japanese still rocking flip phones? I noticed they weren't all that into smartphones like the iPhone. I used to be envious of the Japanese market because they had cool phone tech the West could only dream of at the time.

Eh, I'm no expert. I only lived there for two years from early 2014 to the end of 2015 and just being out and about it seemed that iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones were extremely popular among the younger crowds, but it seemed that flip phones were still relevant as well. They had a huge selection of flip phones at the SoftBank I got my piece of poo poo at, and some of them were really robust, too, featuring touch screens, HD screens and other typical smartphone features. You don't really see that too much here in the US, but i think the flip phone is slowly but surely dying out over there as well.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

Played a bunch of Cody's Quest, a little Palm RPG engine that ripped off Final Fantasy sprites I think.

Oh if that's the same one I'm thinking of it was Kyle's Quest. I used to gently caress around with the little scenario developer kit on the computer a lot and I emailed back and forth a bit with the creator.

http://www.nathansalapat.com/blog/kyles-quest

And apparently there's a KQ2 out on iOS and android apparently so it's still out there

http://www.rpg-site.com/kylesquest2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I routinely get mp3s off of one of those youtube2mp3 sites because it’s easy to just find songs I like and then slap them onto a thumb drive which my car recognizes and plays. Things like soulseek are last resort because youtube has it.