Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lathespin.gif posted:

The following post was largely made possible by these two companies:

the best post on this dead gay forum I've seen in a while

everyone go buy that huge 3drealms pack that's on steam for tenbux right now, it is worth it, also the commander keen pack

I thought it had jill of the jungle also but I guess not, get that somewhere though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember when growing up a bunch of people petitioned really hard and got Splatterhouse removed from a local arcade.

I hope those people went on to have bad experiences in life because what the gently caress kind of monster would do that

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WescottF1 posted:

Yep - I'd set up a "War Dialer" program and go to bed. Wake up in the morning with a handful of long distance codes that would work for a bit and call Diversi-DIAL and other BBS systems around the country. Once the codes stopped working, just repeat the process over and over. Worked a charm.

One thing that I am legit sad about is that I missed the era of wardialing/phreaking.

God that poo poo sounded fun. :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'll be honest, I want that 5.25" toilet paper dispenser

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
God that owns, great post :allears:

A friend of mine had one of those fuckoff giant sat dishes and it was awesome browsing the huge amount of international channels he got.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I know it's been said but the Microsoft Sidewinder pad

was the best controller since this, king of PC gamepads, the Gravis Gamepad

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had one that I pretty much only used to play Road Rash 2. Now that I think of it, my wife at the time might have used to play some arcade games, too.

I'm thinking of getting another one (or whatever the USB equivalent is) for those games I get on Steam and only realize after the fact that the game is really meant to played with a controller. Darksiders with keyboard and mouse is pretty bad, for instance.

Made an excellent emulation controller for me back in the day, it had enough buttons to do SNES, which is all I cared about.

Seconding the 360 controller for PC usage - it's great, lots of buttons, and "just works" with basically everything nowadays. I used to hate 360 controllers, they gave me hand cramps, and was a diehard Dualshock 3 fanboy, but I've grown used to it. Haven't tried the xbone controller on PC.

e. How in the gently caress did those pass-through 3D cards work, anyway? The add on card did the 3D rendering, the other card did 2D?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

you were warned posted:

Remember those radiation shields people used to put on CRT monitors? I didn't, either, until I came across this picture in a terrible real estate listing for a disgusting house:

Bonus speakers-on-monitor getup. Looks like someone used a digital camera manufactured around the same time as that beige beauty. It's a current listing, up for 180+ days--can't imagine why.

y'ever look at a photo and know exactly what it smells like?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The monitor on the right, the Commodore 1702, is a badass CRT monitor. Capable of svideo [via chroma/luma], but even the composite input gives a bright, sharp, vivid image. I have three of them, one for my C64, one on one of my old xboxes used for emulation, and the third just because I'm a hoarder.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As a former Incredible Machine addict, Contraption Maker is pretty fun

hackbunny posted:

eugh those prerendered graphics, I like the hand-drawn graphics of homm2 much better. there was this interminable, agonizing period of time in gaming where graphics went from sometimes beautiful hand-drawn 2D to unescapably cringeworthy 3D or pre-rendered graphics

I remember when late in the SNES's life it fell victim to this, I'm sorry but Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct looked like garbage

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Shufflepuck Cafe owns, used to play it on an old black and white Macintosh at a friend of mine's grandma's house.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

slidebite posted:

I still kick myself because I had a C64 with an elusive Spartan Apple II add-on box. That thing would probably be worth a loving fortune now to "collectors"

*raises paw*

Ever since I heard about this thing's existence, I've wanted one, even though I could never, ever justify how much a working one would go for, and it serves absolutely no practical purpose to me at all.

Would still buy it, though, don't get me wrong. Practicality is for people without crippling addictions to 30+ year old tech. :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Leroy Dennui posted:

Whoever brought up Slingo made me think of Snood (I was exposed to both for the first time in the same day way back somewhere around 2000-2001).

Oh god this loving game, I had totally forgotten

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

this photo makes me very happy and i can't articulate why.

Same, because the specific devices/colors aren't the same, but basically that's my room back in the 90s

VHS, SNES, little rear end CRT, I'm set for the weekend, gently caress homework FF6 is calling

e. gently caress yes C64 music post guy :respek:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I met their drummer at Magfest last year, that's basically my only claim to fame I can really make in this world and I'm glad I got to mention it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mak0rz posted:

Man, anyone remember Zophar's Domain? :allears:

gently caress yes I do!

I used to hit them up all the time hoping for new versions of emulators, or just general info.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

error1 posted:

Especially http://8088mph.blogspot.com/2015/04/cga-in-1024-colors-new-mode-illustrated.html if you want to know how to get that many colours out of something that never supported it

Holy gently caress. :stare:

That's absolutely brilliant.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there an affordablish option on tape drives if I decide to lose my mind?

Curious about this too.

I learned to stop trusting hard drives when my dumb rear end decided to store all the photos I'd ever taken on a single drive, which poo poo itself randomly one day. I recovered maybe 60%.

After that, I moved to having all of my data at home stored on a network server, which is backed up to cloud storage. Some stuff, like my My Documents folder and code projects [ie stuff I need back ASAP if I lose the disk, and can't wait for a multi week cloud restore], are backed up to my dropbox.

I haven't had a disk fail since then, except in my 10+ year old RAID array, and due to another being in a USB enclosure which fell off my desk.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

If anyone was wondering what the carnage and chaos looked like.

Holy poo poo, that's both cool and awful.

quote:

On the other hand, every single Hitachi Travelstar hard drive I've ever owned has been knock-on-wood reliable. Can't say the same for WD - I had a couple of 320GB laptop drives go tits up on me.

Noooo my storage server is full of WD Reds and my desktop big storage drive is a WD Black :negative:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mad Monk posted:

For a Commodore 64 game, EA Adventure Construction Set was a nice program, I spent a LOT of time with it.

That's awesome, never knew this was on C64. I was just thinking about this the other day, I remember being obsessed with it on my friend's IBM PC (back when we called them that :corsair:)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I have an HP ML570 G2 server in my garage that I love working on - the thing opens up like some kind of goddamned transformer. It's 6U, and has basic access doors for replacing RAM / PCI cards on the fly, but I needed to go in and install the RAM expansion board in it, and to do that I had to actually open it up. The inner cages and stuff all open up and it actually becomes really easy to get to everything, it's cool.

I've always liked the nicer Dell cases too, I've got a Precision T3500 that's built like an absolute tank and is fairly easy to work on. I can't recall if it's tool-less/screwless but I think it might be.

e. I do always have a problem getting the mid/lower spec Dell cases closed, though. I've got an old... P4? Celeron? that I used as a file server before, and I could just never quite get the door back on right, it'd take forever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Oh my god this owns and I'd love to get one that was better quality, that's awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
If it can do not hosed up Squaresoft sound emulation, that'd be nice. Also scanline / shader effects, but that might be asking too much for a device like that.

Honestly I have an NVidia Shield TV I use for emulation, but the beaglebone would still be interesting as a "boot directly into SNES" thing.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Actually I'm glad this is coming up, I need to recap some dead LCD monitors, and they've been off for months, but I'm still nervous. Is there any way to safely discharge a cap? Maybe like build some basic circuit and hook it to the leads and let it drain?

e. I mean the dead caps likely won't have a charge, but the recap kits I saw replace multiple caps and I'd like to drain the ones that aren't dead while I'm in there

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Robnoxious posted:

You know you watched this poo poo more than whatever was on television.

Gotta get those squares all aligned!
YOU. JUST. GOTTA!

Oh wow, there's something I haven't seen in a while.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

UIApplication posted:

There was some old psx game my cousin had, I can't remember the name of it. It was a sci fi 3/4 shooter, if I remember right you could visualize it almost like diablo with robots and guns. I think you got a melee attack too, with lots of blood when you bashed someone. Sprite-based I think. Anyone have any ideas?

Crusader: No Remorse / No Regret?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
This thread has taken a turn for the amazing, the AOL stuff is great. :allears:

Managed to avoid AOL, I stuck around local BBSs [getting a call to my parents at one point because instead of opting to pay monthly, I registered dozens of fake accounts to get around the 20 minute limit per day or week or whatever it was] then eventually went to a local ISP. Trumpet Winsock, now that brings back memories.

I still remember trying to understand how the "world wide web" was different from "the internet". Truly more innocent times.

I also remember when I got a 4 port 10mb ethernet hub given to me by a friend, and thought I was amazing for networking my PC to my mom's. I think maybe I got a network game of Doom running on it, and I think I figured out how to share the dialup connection [this was probably the win98 era], but that was about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Does Second Life still run like absolute garbage no matter what hardware you run it on?

Because I remember trying to get into it to take part in the griefing and even with computers that were at the time good spec, it ran horribly

Like I even wonder if my i5 with 32 gigs and a 750ti could get 20fps

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I think I found the cover for my vaporwave album

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cojawfee posted:

Why does anyone still have java installed? I haven't had it installed for maybe over a year now. I haven't lost any functionality besides some military websites which I only used at work.

We switched to Cisco Anyconnect for VPN in my last job, which required Java. I hated having to install that on my computer.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You know who has terrible websites? Hotels. Specifically, their booking systems.

I've stayed at midrange hotels, I've stayed at high end hotels. All of them have god-loving-awful booking systems. The last I stayed at used some kind of third party to book reservations, and holy poo poo, it was a broken awful mess.

As a web application developer, poo poo drives me nuts. I guess as long as it's barely functional, it will keep people coming in the door, and therefore it's not worth replacing, though.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Also good job shitlords, requesting desktop site on mobile just serves the mobile site again. Death by guillotine

loving this, the worst thing

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Okay you tracker music dorks help me out

Ages and ages ago I remember a website that had a ton of tracker songs on it, and I want to say the format of the site was like browsing a file system? I want to say it was styled like black background / green text and UI, and you'd just poke around folders and stuff and it had lists of tracker songs.

I'm going through The Mod Archive right now but I wish I could find that old site again I really liked it for some reason

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Oh my god

thathonkey posted:

lol wowww i havent heard that in ages

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

Mobile is big now? HOLY poo poo I KNOW, LET'S MAKE WINDOWS WORK LIKE A TABLET OS, BET APPLE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT

Also, let's make our server OS work like a tablet, because reasons!

Sten Freak posted:

Also, and this is another work thing, if you are remoted into one of these servers and need the start button that's not a start button you have to hover into the last 3 or so pixels into the bottom left hand corner to get the blue-box start thingy. And if you barely miss too far to the left and that server window was on your right monitor well poo poo now you just clicked into your center's monitor's (primary desktop) bottom right hand corner which is the show desktop for all monitors button so everything gets minimized. Convoluted I know but someone out there has probably also done this 50 times because we cannot have a start button in server 2012.

This is absolutely terrible and made me glad we were able to upgrade to R2, because ugh.

"How do you get to the start button on the new 2012 servers?"
"Hover your cursor in the all the way bottom left until a thing pops up"
"It's not working"
"Keep trying, jiggle the mouse around until it does"
"Can you please reinstall 2008 R2?"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

oohhboy posted:

Since we are talking about bad MS decision making, Windows 10 pro will not be allowed to block the Windows 10 Store. Microsoft said it had made the change "by design".

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36226372

Keep trying to pinch those pennies.

Oh that is amazing. I can hear the collective groans of every IT department across the country, I can feel the wind generated by the shaking of heads

I'm guessing there's still got to be some way to block it, maybe via AD policy or... something? I guess they could block it at the network level maybe, like people block the telemetry stuff. What a pain though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Images? How fast do you think my internet connection is?

That'll never catch on.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Yossarian posted:

:rip: penis man, he flied too close to the sun

What a waste of a good forums name though

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It really cannot be stressed enough how much USB has improved computer peripherals

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Black Pants posted:

Bringing up Windows 8/10 design again, Aero/Aero Glass is a computer relic. I remember seeing a design blog on Windows 8 and seeing one of the guys who did it say that the reason they didn't allow people to use that in Windows 8 is because it's 'out of fashion.' When the gently caress did flat, square, solid colour UI design become 'in fashion'?

this, also the same complaint about android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Regular Nintendo posted:

I'm 27% of forgottenho...

funny you should mention that, I am the HOT_TEEN_SHOWS_IT_ALL.MOV being downloaded in Kazaa Lite that's actually a renamed nickelback music video