Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When will the M1 machines be able to run iOS apps? That’s what I’m interested in
I googled an app for a Divoom Timebox today. Followed the link to the Apple app store, clicked get, install, it ran and asked for Bluetooth permission. Ran fine, and apparently it's an iOS app? Didn't need to do anything manually. Mini M1.

That Mini also ran Disco Elysium in 3440x1440 at 40 fps. I'm seriously impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Farbrausch really did a thing with that .produkt demo. I remember the reactions it got—that they used accelerated graphics was by many seen as cheating for the 64K compo, but the tech was impressive nonetheless.

Now it's the standard. And the other groups took a lot of inspiration from their tooling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhcbtfhKqk

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ah, those halcyon days of the mid to late '90s when every 14-20 year old of a hackeresque persuasion advocated for an open and free internet with wide eyes, convinced that it would enable peoples of the world's access to information, education and enlightenment

The future never becomes what one imagines, though. How could we imagine that some people would just be ignorant and stupid and form amplifying echo chambers that just made it all completely poo poo

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

NES games in the states were like 50-60 bucks in the 90's I think...which is 100 bucks today.

I paid almost 900 NOK for The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse back then. Exchange rate about 7 NOK to the dollar so around $120? Tech was was expensive back then in Norway

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

Everything is run from a 16GB hdf image in my case, but you can setup your own hdfs on there or even just run adfs from a Gotek
omg the lotus 3 theme started playing in my head

thanks and you're welcome

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I just got the world's least-worn TiBook for $30. Now I just need to figure out how the hell I'm gonna burn an OS 9 CD in TYOOL 2021.
Why OS 9? One of the early cats should work fine, but probably just as hard to get a hold of

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I hadn't clicked the video yet but immediately knew who this was from this comment.

Also my favourite appearance he's had in a video is one where he met up with the 8 bit guy in London and all the photos of them together are hilariously awkward.
Link?
I don't care that he uses his wife as bait, she's the interesting and fun one of the two

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

My family's first PC was a 386DX4 from the same era. It ran Doom alright if you added a big enough border.
I thought only the 486 had a clock-quadrupled version?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Would that have any chance of working in a busy area? I'm just barely old enough to have seen acoustic couplers, but from what I remember of them you could lose connection from something as minor as a neighbor slamming their car door a little too hard.
Most of them are the exact opposite since the data rates and encoding is so simple that they are extremely tolerant, like hold the receiver an inch above the device tolerant.

https://youtu.be/OmBLsKV7Sx0

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol how on earth do you write bios software that’s only good for a 5 year period?

In 1995, the new millennium was very far away.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

My wife and I were talking the other night about how annoying it is to try and search through all the streaming services. We figure it's only another couple years before someone starts offering package services where you e.g. pick 6 streaming providers for $50/mo (cheaper than buying them separately at $11.99 each!) and maybe it provides some unified way to search across them all. Or maybe such a thing already exists and it's just not big yet?

Already happening here, it's called Strim

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

lobsterminator posted:

I watch most movies and shows from my laptop lying in bed. If you're watching alone it's fine. The screen is bigger than a huge tv watched from a couch relative to your distance anyway.

A big TV with a good sound system is great, but I'm not enough of a film/tv watcher anymore that it would make sense.
My computer monitor is now a 43" 4K LG TV. I don't use the old 2010 46" Samsung (old faithful) any more. Until I upgrade the TV TV, the Markus and this setup is more comfortable anyway

E: I'm also extremely nearsighted so without glasses or contacts, my phone screen is 3" away from my face so it's pretty much like a cinema experience with good headphones.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Sweevo posted:

More content. There are private trackers that have everything down to local TV shows - because people upload everything they can just to get their ratio up.
This. For music: Rare LP rips (though YouTube is good for that also) and other rare CD releases from the dawn of time.

Movies: The same. Rare releases, full BD rips, etc

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The thing that took me longest was going through my giant pile of poo poo to get rid of stuff I won't listen to anymore, and migrate the keepers to new storage. Sifting through it manually got me back into stuff that I hadn't listened to in a long while and still enjoy. And then since I haven't listened to that artist in years, might as well see if they released new stuff and download that and put it into the "to listen" pile.

I deleted probably half or more of the stuff I got through. Like you said, sometimes it's just some weird poo poo that caught your fancy for a bit but when you listen to it now... no thanks. That one goes in the trash.

If it works for you, streaming music is the most convenient way. My other half has a subscription and they can listen to all the music they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, on any device, with no ads. That's livin' in the future! That's good poo poo!

I used spotify for a while and finding out the song/album/artist you want is not on there happens pretty rarely even if you are a music weird. The thing that made me go back to local storage was when an album would be available, I would add it to my library or playlist, then later when I wanted to listen to it again the license lapsed or something and it was no longer available. You can still see it in your playlist, but it's greyed out and you can't listen to it. It rubs me the wrong way badly enough that I will go back to hoarding my poo poo by hand, even if it takes me so much more time. I like my music enough to waste all that time on it.
This is me, while still using Spotify and YouTube a lot

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

lobsterminator posted:

I try to make an Amiga ProTracker chip tune every xmas. I still haven't figured out this year's song, but here are some of my previous ones. If/when I get a new tune done I will share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52WYY2EB6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMFNofivseM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BcCJwzRumk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs7BEGz4tg4
Awesome! I'ma fire up ScreamTracker again. Thx for the inspiration!

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

What with the price spike on retrocomputing stuff, there's a mountain of hardware I wish I hadn't disposed of. Piles of 486s, DX2s, DX4s, AMD 5x86s, Pentium Overdrives in both 63 mHz and 83 mHz flavors, every imaginable stepping of Pentiums from 75 mHz to 266 mHz, K5's, K6's, motherboards and memory to fit all of it, Trident and S3 and ATI Rage cards of every flavor, and so. many. damned. soundcards of every possible make. SCSI cards by the bucket, and every bit of network gear I had that wasn't 100baseTX. So much stuff that's apparently worth money now.

All because Grandma told me to clear out the closet in the guest bedroom so she could put her quilting stuff in it.

e. One shining jewel of a K6-2 433 mounted to a voltage regulator board that would run in a Socket 5 system, used to upgrade a Packard Bell. Like tears in the rain.
Hell yeah I miss my slimline Olivetti Familia 486 SO MUCH

And the good SB16 it came with, and the first-gen AWE32 I upgraded to, and the first-gen Gravis Ultrasound... now I guess they're way too pricey :(

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Computer viking posted:

A bit newer, but I just just grabbed my 2007 thinkpad T61 (Centrino Duo! Vista license sticker! 5:4 screen!) down from a shelf to rip a 2008 CD - it was the newest thing I had around with a working CD or DVD drive.

The battery is completely dead, the bezel is cracked, and the hinges are iffy - but otherwise it Just Works. It booted into Ubuntu 11.04, and it's wild how nice my old linux desktop still feels. 11 years is apparently not that long - though the 15 years of hardware advances are more immediately obvious.

e: I miss the full height keyboard, though - and while 5:4 may be a bit much, I'd love to at least get a 16:10 screen again.

It’s weird how the change from say 2000 to 2020 is not as radical (hardware wise) as 1980-2000 I mean sure I can film and edit an entire movie in full hd 60fps on my phone, but going from pure text to live video at all is quite the leap

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

Sharopolis has a video up on what was actually possible with the Famicom Basic. Interesting stuff, I don't think I've seen any of this before elsewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUI0YBR5q8k

USB back then was just 1.0 or whatever? 11Mbps, good for keyboards and 16 MB flash drives

FireWire is 400mbps, and after USB 2.9 you got FireWire 800 which… yeah basically two FW plugs fused together lol. Stupid fast though.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Now that was a module with some style through and through

e: din’t notice all the other stuff going on at first, wow

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 21:51 on May 29, 2022

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I have an old Yamaha QY-70 kicking around and while writing the above post I realized that it would serve perfectly well as a MIDI synth for retro gaming. It's fully General MIDI compatible and everything! A video by a random someone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_q9Gx_5lGU

It's basically a 16 channel MIDI sequencer and a real high quality Yamaha tone generator from 1997 jammed into what could be described as a musical Game Boy. It takes 6 AAs for a few hours of composing action on the go. I still use it to put together ambient ditties and to drive my small collection of crappy cheap synths. It's one of the weirdest pieces of old music tech I know and I love it to bits.

My busking uncle had a similar Roland device, used it for backing tracks. Awesome little things really.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Boesendorfer P.S.S. rules forever.

I'm looking for a mod that has a sample from some movie or actual Crowley like ritual, and it says "I am the blade... I am the [whatever]" real doom and gloom type stuff, and can't remember anything else other than it's a 4-channel MOD

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

had some engineer buddies in college and they all had their own credit card numbers memorized for quick usage...At the time I thought it was a dumb trick, but now I understand some people just love to memorize long numbers.

I think this is why some nerds that grow out of the old cliché of being introvert become good bartenders, because being able to memorise a bunch of orders and prioritising them without much thought is a really valuable skill there.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Memories of mid/late 90s computer desks that inexplicably had a door on the front that killed the PC with overheating and the owners that had no concept that it wasn't normal to buy a new PC every 5 months.

My cousin has a huge soundproofed tower enclosure for his Chieftec full tower. It had a 240mm large-bladed exhaust fan. Really pro silencing poo poo for like 2002 :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I use that, not to protect the floor per se but it makes for a smooth silent ride

e: it becomes hideously dirty really fast though

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Anyone else had ISDN? When we had it installed (around 1999, I think?) they had to put in an extra phone line, so I had blazing fast 128k internet and a private phone number. poo poo was baller. And obsolete in a couple of years when suddenly cheap DSL was a thing. :haw:

Yeah I budgeted for one of the two lines being permanently connected, to the tune of $250 a month, and bonded if I needed 64Kbps more oomph for an mp3 or something.

The relief when I upgraded to 1mbit SDSL for half the price and could run a permanent FTP server 😋

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Computer viking posted:

The Norwegian national telco pushed ISDN for everyone back in 90s, so that's what we got for our first internet connection. We used it a fair bit, so it was nice to have separate lines for phone and Internet- and I could sneak in some hours of using both lines if I wanted to download something.

Not cheap, though - but IIRC it was just a fixed extra cost per month over plain phone, and about the same cost/minute for the calls?

Exactly this. It’s why I budgeted for a single line to be connected 24/7 and bonding as needed for important downloads :) Think it was around 2500 NOK/mo. for that single line.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

lobsterminator posted:

My first 3D software was a :filez: version of 3D Studio for DOS. The UI sucked, but I managed to make some ok things. Later I used 3DS Max professionally and did some advertising visuals.

Ah, classic 3D Studio. I had 3 as a fourteen year old and also dabbled with MAX just before the pre-dancing baby craze when Bones came

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ah, that XG50 player was amazing. I remember playing some anime or game midis made for XG and they sounded fantastic.

And if someone knows where I can find a midi of a dueling guitar boss battle metal thing it starts with drums and some heavy riffs and was called something like «battle for the end of humanity» or something like that 😅

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Please, everyone knows the vcds you downloaded from irc are meant to be played on a dreamcast
You mean usenet, surely?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

There was a big pirating scene on irc, it was very obtuse, obnoxious, and involved a ton of hoop jumping.
Yeah I usually just used that at parties like The Gathering where there were interesting hard-to-find older things and stuff on private servers. Otherwise it was all EasyNews and private FTP servers in our little geek circuit.

Probably because there was an oldtimer Razor courier among us.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah IRC was the place to be for the discerning early to mid 00s pirate.
Ooh, the BSA said so, no less. Maybe it was for the kids back then :3:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

Turns out twisted pair doesn’t work every well without actually twisting the pairs. :shrug:
No poo poo, I had weird internet speed dropouts until I saw that the cable from the router to the fiber->ethernet splitter was a FLAT cable. Replaced it with a normal Cat6 utp and it was good. I bet they didn’t realise some customers might have power cables nearby - but a flat cable for gigabit fiber is in any case stupid :(

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

q/ne sorry

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The prerennial problem that shuffle gets implemented as random?
Because random can return the same value a lot more than people expect, but shuffle isn’t meant to be random.
It’s meant to pick a random song among the ones that haven’t had as many plays
Only audio player that gets this right is foobar2000.

MusicBee is also pretty good at that, if set up correctly and, you know, if you want to use a closed source Windows app.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

afen posted:

hello there

That cover and title intrigues me as a norwegoon - nice homemade mixtape I guess? What's the track list? Looking for new jams you see

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Ah, sweet memories of The Gathering '98, using Norske Nerder's sound system (which outperformed the official one by plenty of dB lol), waking up the entire 4000-strong crowd at 10:00 with classics such as "Ranma no Baka" and Rammstein's "Du Hast" on full volume. The days of buying CD-R's on 100-disc spindles...

F4rt5 has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Apr 12, 2024

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Haha awesome edit! But this was basically how it was when the Cult "babes" walked around promoing stuff. Or AMD's booth babes. Until girls (gasp) finally began joining parties. But then they all (except Revision now?) had just become gaming conventions anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Finally, the Zilog Z81

It’s only the classic DIP versions though, the ones you can pop in an old MSX or whatever as a replacement. The embedded cores etc are still manufactured.