Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She just likes to remind him that he's a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

lol if you don't just stick it under your armpit, with your fingertips barely gripping the bottom whilst simultaneously holding another bag of stuff, and your shoulder slightly dislocated, LIKE A PRO

Don't forget banging it on random things while walking out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

At least DOOM didn't have bunny hopping, but then it did have weird poo poo like wallrunning and straferunning.

The first time I played Quake multiplayer online and saw people bunny hopping I was concerned I had no idea what was going on, and then I saw them using the grappling hook mod..

I think call of duty was the last game I saw where people were still bunny hopping. People were upset because it wasn't realistic and others did the "if I can't do it, why is it in the game?" After that, developers started putting in cool downs on jumping or making subsequent jumps not as high.

I'm glad they did because bunny hopping was the dumbest thing ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I haven't had an optical drive for a few years now. When I upgraded to an i5, my new motherboard didn't have IDE. My DVD drive was IDE so now I don't have an optical drive. It hasn't inconvenienced me in the slightest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love those fans. I had one about 8 or 9 years ago. I had no idea what to do with it, but man did it haul rear end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks to bitcoin, all those things are popular again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would rather use a ribbon cable than do anything with a CRT. I think my parents keep a CRT TV in their family room only because it would be too heavy to get rid of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How old is your computer that it still supports IDE?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like high refresh rates because it makes things look real. 24fps needs to die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My samsung from 2012 works fine to me. There were some issues at the beginning where Netflix wouldn't load things but eventually that got sorted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mng posted:

Isn't two of the big reasons that it's settled at 24 fps, is that it's good enough for your brain to process fluid motion, but also the cost of film? No need to go higher if your brain says it's fine and waste money.

It's just barely fine. It annoys me when I'm watching an action scene and the entire screen is just one big blur because "24 fps is good enough." It looks like garbage and I'd prefer to be able to see what's going on in the movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they can make movies at 60fps (or higher) and then give TVs a "old timey idiot" mode so people like steinrokkan can make they movies look lovely and not ruin everyone else's experience. They could even sell shutter glasses that convert the real world to 24fps so your whole life can be an ugly movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Wife & I watched Inside Out this weekend, and as soon as the movie started I saw it wasn't 24 fps. I was about to fiddle with the settings when 1) my wife said it didn't matter and she wanted to just watch the movie so quit screwing around with the TV, and 2) I realized that might be the native frame rate of the film. It's a recent Pixar movie, so...maybe? Are they simply making those movies at 30/60 fps now, and that's what you get? We streamed via iTunes -- no physical media.

Interesting that my wife couldn't have cared less, and it drove me insane the entire film movie.

You just found out that you are a broken brains weirdo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
LCDs do it the same way CRTs do, the only difference is the pixel is still powered until the next update. This is starting to change with screens that have global update where every pixel is updated at once.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If I have glasses, do I need more?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I still use pidgin for irc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone remember the early days of Mechanical Turk? They had some yellow pages company paying a quarter per thing to see if a business was in a set of images. People made greasemonkey scripts to load and finish them faster. The problem is that people were greedy little shits and didn't even do it right. They would just load a page and click the "it's not in any of these" radio button and hit submit. Whenever enough people did that, it would move the set of images further down the street until it was impossible to complete any of them because they had all moved past where the business was. It did lead to some racial comedy when at one point people kept getting one for an African restaurant and the set of pictures had moved down the street to a KFC.

Eventually they shut that one down, because no one is going to pay someone a quarter for nothing. It was a shame because as a shiftless teenager, I did like doing those things properly and making 34 dollars. Once they took that down, mechanical turk was nothing but "Make a dollar by writing 5000 words about this car dealership" and I stopped going.

Another similar thing was the Club Live thing that Microsoft made. You would play games to earn points and use the points in the store to get actual things. The games were simple but there were two that were exploitable. They involved typing words. One was about baseball I think, but the other was chicken themed. The chicken themed one basically gave you a set of letters and you had to make anagrams out of them. It gave you six letters and you had to make words 3-6 letters long with it. The thing was, there wasn't any kind of submit button after typing. You just type and when you get a word, it deletes the letters you just typed and puts the word on the board. So you could take the six letters, type it into an anagram solver and just type all the words that pop up as fast as you can.

Then the bots came. You download the bot, switch to the game window, click each letter and it goes to down. Eventually the bots got better and they could click the letters themselves, then they could start the next game themselves. Then Microsoft added captchas to the game and the bots got past that. Then they added better captchas and the bots would just tell you to solve it to move on. Then Microsoft eventually shut the site down and refused a lot of prizes.

The biggest prize was Windows Vista Ultimate for 6000 points. I bought a bunch of prizes on the store but Microsoft canceled a lot of people's orders. I ended up getting an Windows Live Messenger bag and Windows Vista Ultimate.

Both of these were a total waste of time, but I enjoyed doing both of them. As I said, I was a shiftless teenager with nothing better to do. I think the downfall of both was fatwallet. Those shitlords will ruin any deal on the internet if it means they got the most 10% off coupons for deodorant.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love my messenger bag and I've used it for years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Didn't Xfire have voice chat and let people see what game you were in?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Germstore posted:

I never fully understood all the weird car brands. Is it purely marketing to differentiate entry level and luxury? Is it to give the illusion of choice? Do other countries do it? Based only on Gran Turismo I get the impression that in japan cars under the Infiniti marque in america are just sold as Nissans. e: and it just occurred to me that Infiniti, Scion, Acura, Lexus are all western names, so probably just America.

Some of it is just one of the big three buying up another company and keeping the name. Somewhere along the line, they discovered Americans are dumb enough to pay more for the exact same car if you church up the name and throw some wood grain and leather at it.

Ford crown Victoria, mercury grand Marquis, Lincoln Town car, all the exact same car. They just get slightly nicer options as you go up.

When german makers came along, they either came as a budget name (Volkswagen) or as a luxury brand (BMW, Mercedes). All three of those make cheap and expensive cars in Germany, but have a niche in the US.

Then Japan came along. At first, they were synonymous with cheap. Like Korean cars of a couple years ago, they weren't that great. Their saving grace was that they were cheap as all get out. Then they want to make luxury cars too. That won't fly in the US. If I want cheap, I get a Chevy, if I want expensive, I get a Cadillac. Doesn't matter that they are the exact same thing.

No one will buy a nice Honda or Toyota. Especially not when it has the same badge as that stupid teenager down the street. They invent Acura, Lexus and Infiniti to sell the same cars twice because Westerners are dumb.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

These used to be in airports before smartphones and free wifi got big. Never saw anyone use them... I assume the only money in that business was for the guy selling the kiosks.

This is how it works for anything in which someone offers to sell you something that can make you money in return. If the machine was guaranteed to make money, why the hell is he selling it to you? Even worse if you are leasing it. The same thing with bitcoin miners. If they are guaranteed to make a return on investment, why the hell would the company ever sell you one? They could just build them all and run them on their own. Then once they start making less money than is being spent on electricity and cooling, they sell them to the public. This is in fact how one company operated. They kept having "delays" in manufacturing. Then months later when the proposed hashing power was obsolete, people started receiving their orders and it appeared as if they had been run for a while before being shipped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why don't car manufacturers run taxi companies? (:smugmrgw:)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lady, that's not where the 5 button is!

Purchase my internet kiosk or you'll never vote a thread 5 again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Every vending machine I've ever seen is owned by a company that owns lots of vending machines. Maybe there's people out there who try to sell vending machines to individual people but there is usually a contract with some company that deals with the machines.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

is that company coca cola or pepsi

usually they're a regional thing, or some guy will have 10 vending machines he checks every week on a route or something. it's probably different in big cities vs smaller cities and towns

There's usually a sticker with a phone number. Usually the company is called "Some Kind of Name Vending" or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So uh, who remembers Neopets?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Coke Music was that game that was like Habbo Hotel wasn't it? I remember there were rooms where you would get in a line that went around the room. When you got to the front, you were allowed to play the song you made and then everyone would thumbs up it or whatever and you'd get in game money. It was pretty fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If something like Coke Music still existed, I'd probably play it to kill some time. Seems like it would be a good phone game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone else do alien adoption agency? It was pretty fun until you wander into the PVP area and then your alien is essentially dead forever because someone will instantly kill you when your alien resets at the end of the day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What was with people who thought you actually had to type a question into AskJeeves?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What happened to the emails of people with periods in their names?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I use the + a lot in hopes of figuring out where spam comes from. it always goes to my actual address. So they either strip it out or something else gives out my email.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For a while I kept getting plumbing invoices for some guy in Seattle. Freaked me out because it was cold out and my apartment complex was all "Let your faucets drip to prevent the pipes from freezing." I was driving somewhere and got an email with an invoice from a plumber and my paranoia got the best of me and assumed that I didn't run my faucets good enough and the building was destroyed with water damage and they sent me an invoice already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

all creative products do -and always have- sucked.

I guess you've never used a creative Zen mp3 player.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Remember when you didn't have enough room in your closet for all your punch cards and you had to throw some away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I dug this guy out the other day and spent some time charging it up.It wouldn't turn on so I thought the battery was dead and ordered a new one. I guess the screen is just really dim after all these years. It thinks it is 2007 and the last song I played on it was Paschendale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was a little thing that came out about 6-7 years ago called a WikiReader. A small handheld thing that could run for hours on AAA batteries with a touchscreen and had millions of Wikipedia articles in it. They seem to no longer be in production, but there was a point that I wanted to get one just to have around as a novelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80fmaBBRhV0

Was there ever a good time for this? I guess 2008-2009 was a time when not everyone had a smart phone so wikipedia wasn't really portable. By 2010, people have smart phones and unlimited data was a thing then. If I want to access a constantly updated internet encyclopedia, I'm not going to use a device that doesn't connect to the internet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All I know about AOL chatrooms was that going into one meant you're about to get poo poo tons of spam because your chatroom username is also your email address.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Internet speeds are inconceivably faster than they were in the late 90s/early 2000s yet it seems like websites load at the same speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
AOL was like its own internet. You could go to AOL keywords which were websites but worse. You could go into AOL chatrooms. You could use AOL instant messenger to talk to your friends. It was all the normal internet stuff you could do but inside AOL and not as good.