Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

glowing-fish posted:

Who else is with me in that you don't have to be attractive and rich to love cycling?

Eh what are you talking about? Cycling makes you attractive.

About money, people who spend a lot are just showoffy. Get some 90's Shimano mountain biking components on any old rusty POS frame, clean the chain every month, grease the hubs every year, and you're set. Here's a picture of something that lasts almost forever:

The only expensive thing I can vouch for are kevlar lined tires, but they are so worth it.

This beauty is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour. I got my first pair in my poor student days and didn't regret. My last flat was 6 years ago, and I beat the poo poo out of them (have gone through three pairs by now).

If you want to save money do all your own maintenance (which adds more to your attractiveness, fyi). It's a lot of work, but don't forget that you worked to pay for that gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

But which defeats the purpose of this thread, which is for poor people who don't want to show off gear. We want to show off how poor, and therefore cool, we are, before we eat a bunch of Doritoes that we got on sale at a convenience store.

That's the spirit! Any normal pants + thing in pic below, optionally = cycling pants

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Why are we even talking about this. Being on a bicycle at least doubles the rider's sexiness. Next topic please.

• Locked thread