Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
i did a 78-mile, 8000ft of climbing day on a lovely $100 rigid mountain bike that was my daily commuter at the time. also i didn't own bike shorts so my rear end was sore before i was even halfway through. I didn't pack food, just stopped at restaurants or stores for snacks along the way. I bonked in the middle, so i ate some ice cream and gatorade and took a nap and then kept going.

i'm not too overweight, but deffo not fit either. im just squishy and goony. i had the "wrong" bike and was missing lots of "essential" gear and training or whatever. who cares. if like to bike, just get out and do it (definitely bring water though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

alnilam posted:

the essential gear is a bicycle

this guy gets it :respek:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

glowing-fish posted:

before we eat a bunch of Doritoes that we got on sale at a convenience store.

i usually get chicharrones if i can find them

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

DavidAlltheTime posted:

This is my dream thread.

I'm a giant, and I bought a fairly lightweight Norco off a friend for 20 bucks, but I didn't store it well and now I'm scared to look at it because it's probably a mess of rust. :smith:

harden the gently caress up and ride that bike

if it squeaks, grease it. if it breaks, fix it. bike the earth

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

meselfs posted:

Why are we even talking about this. Being on a bicycle at least doubles the rider's sexiness. Next topic please.

i love cycling but this is decidedly untrue

if we cared about looking cool or sexy, we'd be on motorcycles

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speak for yourself, I'm on both :smugbert:

is this some kind of new tallbike

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

DrCornelius posted:

Ehhh, original post seems more appropriate for YLLS.

go gently caress yourself

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

coyo7e posted:

Mods change thread title to "Talkin' 'bout Extra-wide Saddles: Fat Asses on Bikes" You see it's funny because you're not supposed to sit down on a bicycle when you're riding properly

I love seeing fat people on those stupid one-speed beach cruiser bikes, or even better, on one of those bikes that seem to be so trendy with the walmart-shopper crowd, with the 5" wide tires that're made for riding literally on sand - the friction resistance from those wheels must be murder without any gear ratios to adjust.

i, too, am mad

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation

coyo7e posted:

Really? Because when I switched out my knobby mountain bike tires for a commuter hybrid, I could feel the difference, and see it in my average cruising speeds on my speedometer when I'm going traffic speed

you ride a hybrid and mock people for not prioritizing speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003
Probation
yeah i have marathon plusses on my cx bike and they're heavy as loving poo poo but they simply do not flat. schwalbe has demo vids on their site of people just rolling through a field of thumbtacks and broken glass.

750g tires are 100% worth never flatting, especially when those extra grams pale in comparison to all the extra grams im carrying around in my gut and manboobs

• Locked thread