Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
5) Sound! Euphonium: KyoAni is loving back, and with one of the best-directed anime shows I've ever seen. Although the story is really good and definitely uniquely constructed compared to the typical anime, especially compared to KyoAni's typical stuff, it's really the presentation that sells the show. The direction and cinematography are beyond amazing, and the animation is great even by KyoAni standards. Also, it manages to have homosexual undertones without being exploitative or just plain bad. Good job Japan!

4) Non Non Biyori Repeat: How can a show be good at being boring? I don't get it, but Non Non Biyori seems to have solved that problem. The first season was good, but the second is just plain better. I think the best way to say it is that the first season feels... reluctant by comparison, as if the staff weren't sure if this kind of show would fly. Well it did, so they ran with it, and the second season is plenty better for it.

3) Shirobako: I doubt anyone realized what this show would become when it first aired. The only reason I watched it at first was because it was animated by PA Works and had that crazy hatchback race in the very first episode. But after that it just never let up. It was equal parts funny, dramatic, relaxing, thrilling and everything in between, and all of it amazingly animated by one of my favorite studios. Apart for a single exception (who only some people outright hated), all of the characters were lovable (or wonderfully hateable) and interesting in their own way. I really do hope this show changes the industry for the better in some way, because we all know it needs it.

2) DURARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARA (Durarara x2 and x2 Shou): Literally :psyboom: the show. I suppose it technically isn't finished yet, with the final cour of the season airing this winter, but it really deserves recognition for what it's already done. What did it do? It finally lived up to Baccano. The original season was good but not quite good enough, while these first two cour have been more than a match for Baccano for my money, although for different reasons. Baccano's brilliance is in its highly unique story construction, where it's telling three interrelated stories that take place within months of each other at the same time, and in a way where it all seems to come together in the end. But Durarara's claim to fame is just the strength of its presentation, because honestly this show is some of the most fun I've ever had watching anything while barely understanding what the almighty gently caress is even going on. But when you finally piece together the complex web of shenanigans, it only makes the whole experience better.

1) One Punch Man: This show is a purely joyful spectacle of hilarious gags and hyper-energetic action scenes that belies a surprisingly intelligent thematic exploration of what it means to be a hero. Sure, there's plenty more intelligent shows than a zany, over-the-top parody show, but not as many as you'd think if you didn't know where it was coming from. I think the best comparison would be Kyousogiga, another eye-popping spectacle with heartfelt story, and for my money one of the best shows ever made. One Punch Man delivers in every way possible.

Also because it spawned The best Fallout 4 video there will ever be.

Honorable Mentions
:

Gundam: Iron Blood Orphans: Honestly, I'm glad it won't finish this year so we get plenty more of it. Okada's narrative has been surprisingly mature and provocative well beyond the majority of anime (though somewhat controversial) and I really hope she pulls this off.

Blood Battle Blockade: This was the show of the year... for 6 episodes. Then it all went downhill. Brilliantly directed and animated, but they dropped the ball hard.

Nanatsu no Taizai: I'm putting this up here because I highly doubt many people gave it enough of a chance. I won't lie, it has a super rocky start, but once it takes off it really takes off.

e: Oh, hey, my av changed while I've been gone.

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

1. Owarimonogatari: All four arcs were interesting and enjoyable, Ougi was really rad throughout and the last episode was spectacular. Visually it was loving awesome throughout, but all of Ougi Formula and that last scene with Shinobu were standouts. Thank you spooky ougi.

I can't decide between Ougi and Saitama for character of the year.

As good as Owari is, it felt somewhat lackluster after Second Second season so it didn't really wow me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm mad they didn't adapt the story where Chain drinks some guy under the bar to win back Leo's lunch money while Zap wanders around town high as a kite looking for his girlfriend's cat.

I wish it was as easy as saying "just go read the manga" because the first half was so freakin good. Rie Matsumoto is a brilliant director and I hope she gets a ton more projects in the coming years.

But yeah, I think we should all just go read the manga.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i wanted to give punchline a vote, but there were too many good shows this year

Yeah this was an amazing year and I hate it because I now have double the backlog and half the time to watch them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

MaoucDonalds was great but not better than Kyousougiga.

Considering that Kyousogiga is one of my top 10 of all time, that kinda pissed me off.

Nate RFB posted:

I mean it made my list too but that was also a year in which we had Chihayafuru S2.

Also this.

I certainly enjoyed Part-Timer and I think it was on my top 5 list, but in a year with the above two shows in it Part-Timer had no business being at the top of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

book posted:

Director best girl. gently caress Tarou though.

Tarou redeems himself in the second half. Also his shittiness gets dwarfed by Funny Story.

• Locked thread