Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - Lord Acton

Personally I've never been in a position of power, great or small; but if I were? I'd have the moral fortitude to do the right thing. From being imbued with Kryptonian strength and flight to simply being made head fire warden where I work I'd strive to do the right thing and do right by everyone I met.

However if I were ever made the moderator of a message board or wikipedia? Oh you KNOW the power would go straight to my head and I would make any little shitstain who veered from my strict policies of misusing emoticons rue the day they ever bought a 48k modem. :black101:

There's something about the power of moderation that sends people a little bit doolally I've found. There seems to be a pretty thin line between making sure the message board/wiki page you're looking after isn't trampled over by mindless cretins and turning it into an Orwellian nightmare where anyone you don't like the look of gets shoved into the Memory Hole and this is the thread to post some examples. PLEASE keep examples from off-site. From the one example posted in the Game Devs Trolls thread I think this topic has some hilarious potential so PLEASE no Something Awful related drama. Thank you.

I'll throw up some mild examples first.

I used to post on a Slasher board years ago and got a warning for disliking Fraggle Rock of all things.

Used to post on a Hellraiser website. It was generally a Clive Barker site in general, really and if you know anything about the mad Scouse twat you'll know his work is very, VERY sexualised. Homo-eroticism, BDSM, the whole lot. So imagine the chaos that ensued when the guy who ran the place got a new girlfriend who was incredibly repressed sexually and gave her the power of head moderator. In less than a week almost every thread had been locked and almost every regular member had been banned.

Got banned from a Silent Hill forum for talking about Pyramid Head and sexual imagery portrayed...

And here's the Silent Hill themed inspiration for the entire thread.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Highlights, please?

Regalingualius posted:

-Someone points out to noted Silent Hill LPer VoidBurger that some loonie is editing in anti-circumcision rants into the article for one of the characters from 4.

-It turns out that said loonie is the head admin of the wiki.

-What follows is a spiraling descent into madness as he outs himself as a conspiracy theorist, radical fundamentalist, etc. for all the world to see.

-He doubles triples keeps going down for keeping the circumcision stuff, even after all of the other admins point out he's literally the only person in support of keeping it, and ends up blocking all of them after they jump on him for demanding to know whether one of them had her son circumcised.

-The admins for the entire wikia system have to get involved, and block him completely from the entire wikia network (since he'd started spreading his ranting to wikis for other games).

:psyduck: I can't even imagine this is the tip of the madness iceberg that is crazed moderation. I don't go to any other websites bar SA these day, but if you do and you know of any mad stories please share them with us.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

AlphaKretin posted:

It's kind of ironic that you've made a thread that will immediately need intervention from a mod. :v:

If I were a mod I'd ban you for sass-mouth. >:(

I kid, I kid.

However...

ChogsEnhour posted:

PLEASE keep examples from off-site. From the one example posted in the Gave Devs Trolls thread I think this topic has some hilarious potential so PLEASE no Something Awful related drama. Thank you.

Just to re-iterate.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
God drat it. I didn't even see that when I re-read it looking for a typo. :derp:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

AlphaKretin posted:

E: Just noticed you also missed "Gave Dev Trolls Thread"

Cheers. I blame this on me being in work and keeping on eye on my boss as I read about Silent Hill circumcisions and also on me being an idiot.

Of all the power man mods you're the best... Er, any chance of fixing the title, sir? :kiddo:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You warm our hearts. What more can we ask of you?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Fixed the title for you (and added an addendum) :) Please be careful to keep this thread limited to off-site material, though, this could go south very quickly.

Thank you. You're a star.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

So did it seem serious? If it was just a warning and seemed humorous I probably would have laughed.

They were serious! I just laughed anyway though. This was about 2001 or so though, my memory is hazy so I was probably acting more assholish than I remember... Maybe.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Scathach posted:

I remember one seller got a perma-mute for saying "Yipee Diane."

This always boggles my mind. I think a few people mentioned it in the original Dev Trolls thread too, but weird censorship that doesn't make any sense and that usually has no explanation too. I [i]think[i/] that Silent Hill board I used to post on had strict no swearing rules that extended to non-swearing slang.

It's a game about monster-men, abortions and sodomy if the word "cock" offends you this probably isn't the place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Forget where the picture is from now but I remember seeing someone posted a Pomegranate that had been smashed up a bit and he got a warning for not including a trigger warning for "GORE" or something. When the mod was told it was a fruit they said, "Doesn't matter. It looks like gore."

• Locked thread