Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Does anyone else like to go hiking, but ignoring nature? I mean using your GPS, smartphone, Kindle, or whatever. Nature is boring imo, there's way more fun stuff on my smartphone or other device. Talk about experiences itt.

One time I was hiking in the woods. I was close enough to a city to have cellphone reception. I played Angry Birds for 5 miles then took some selfies to make sure my social media bros knew where I was. It was a nice hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is an irony-free forum

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Sometimes at my old apartment, I would walk up the side of lookout mountain, sit in the shade of a juniper, and browse the forums.

But at least I wasn't on the couch.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm taking a walk while posting on the forums, no irony here

Edit: have a selfie for proof

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 21, 2015

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Hiking with podcasts can be good and cool, but only in places where there are no things to eat you.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I have my drone fly through the local trails with my phone attached, so I can upload the gps data and photos to facebook. I put in the work though, but I do my miles on a treadmill while watching david attenborough documentaries. I love hiking and I love people knowing that about me, but without professional camera work to frame and narrate it nature gets kind of samey. And you can keep the UVA damage, thank you very much.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bradzilla posted:

I'm taking a walk while posting on the forums, no irony here

Edit: have a selfie for proof

Looks like 30-something and overcast. A nice December day for walking and posting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't bring any gadgets with me on hiking trips, save for a weather radio of course, which ended up saving our asses on one trip so now I always bring one out of fear of freak thunderstorms and landslides happening again without my knowledge.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But anyway there's no cell service in the canyons and most of the valleys and hell, most of the everywhere away from major roads/towns so I've never brought a phone camping with me or whatever anyway.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I don't bring any gadgets with me on hiking trips, save for a weather radio of course, which ended up saving our asses on one trip so now I always bring one out of fear of freak thunderstorms and landslides happening again without my knowledge.

Forumgoers of Take a Hike!, Take Note! This poster busted open his rear end hole while hiking and nearly died in a hospital bed from bleeding profusely out of his rear end for 3 days straight, in which time he completed a Dragon Quest game on his DS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was a Dragon Quest game on PS2, but otherwise the story checks out.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Realtalk though I can't understand people who hike through the most beautiful places but are only focused on grr hrr pushing myself to the limit. There are gyms for that.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Forumgoers of Take a Hike!, Take Note! This poster busted open his rear end hole while hiking and nearly died in a hospital bed from bleeding profusely out of his rear end for 3 days straight, in which time he completed a Dragon Quest game on his DS.

How did it happen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

How did it happen.

It's not very exciting. A long time ago on my first hike I fell on the trail and got a cut on my lower back and never properly cleaned it out and continued to hike for a few days, and this wound eventually developed into a pilonidal cyst over the course of a decade as I ignored it, until I finally got it surgically removed this year because I had a job with health care, at which point I bled a lot for a few days during the early recovery period and played 60 hours of Dragon Quest VIII while lying in bed hopped up on pain killers.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

It's not very exciting. A long time ago on my first hike I fell on the trail and got a cut on my lower back and never properly cleaned it out and continued to hike for a few days, and this wound eventually developed into a pilonidal cyst over the course of a decade as I ignored it, until I finally got it surgically removed this year because I had a job with health care, at which point I bled a lot for a few days during the early recovery period and played 60 hours of Dragon Quest VIII while lying in bed hopped up on pain killers.

i enjoyed following your adventures.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Epitope posted:

Looks like 30-something and overcast. A nice December day for walking and posting.

Are you a meteorologist? That's right on the money.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Strategic Tea posted:

Realtalk though I can't understand people who hike through the most beautiful places but are only focused on grr hrr pushing myself to the limit. There are gyms for that.

Probably because trail running is a much more interesting than running on a treadmill or on a track? Likewise exploring a new city while running gives you a chance to look at cool buildings or landmarks without having to pull over or find parking a bunch, only time it almost went poorly for me was when I accidentally ran into the ghetto in Kansas City, but the amount of boarded up windows and abandoned buildings let me know to turn around before I got jumped or anything

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I usually take my kindle with me. Stays drier than any book, is lighter, and I can carry maps, trip plans, and reference books on it. Having it loaded means that waiting or bad weather is never a problem. Stuck on a hillside? book it up. Stuck on island? Get literary Tom Hanks.

I pity the fool who doesn't bring his cellphone. Oh hey guys, just spent several days lost wandering around these badlands and initiating a huge search effort. Sure I could have fixed everything with a call, but I wanted to feel closer to "nature."

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Once i hiked out into a Florida swamp in order to have a quiet place to read.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

No Such Thing posted:

Once i hiked out into a Florida swamp in order to have a quiet place to read.

How bad were the mosquitoes? Seems like you would be trading one distraction for another

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How bad were the mosquitoes? Seems like you would be trading one distraction for another

It was 'winter' so it wasn't as bad. But mostly I have come to terms with mosquitos taking my blood,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ace of Baes posted:

Probably because trail running is a much more interesting than running on a treadmill or on a track? Likewise exploring a new city while running gives you a chance to look at cool buildings or landmarks without having to pull over or find parking a bunch

pathletes are the scum of the earth. spandex wearing pudgies cursing at children to FOLLOW THE loving LINES on Sunday afternoon should have a foot chopped off or similar cartoonish fate. its mostly cyclists but i have come across a few runners who think they're hot poo poo too

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Free Market Mambo posted:

I usually take my kindle with me. Stays drier than any book, is lighter, and I can carry maps, trip plans, and reference books on it. Having it loaded means that waiting or bad weather is never a problem. Stuck on a hillside? book it up. Stuck on island? Get literary Tom Hanks.

I did a solo backpack last summer and my only regret was not having an e-reader. I did bring a paperback but finished it the first night, when I was stuck in my one man tent during a gnarly hailstorm near treeline for hours. Then the thing just became dead weight. I guess I could have thrown it at the guy that kept coming to my camp asking if I was ok. I actually bought a Kindle yesterday primarily for backpacking trips.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's genuinely some of the best money I've ever spent. Only problem is that e-ink doesn't like super cold weather.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Free Market Mambo posted:

It's genuinely some of the best money I've ever spent. Only problem is that e-ink doesn't like super cold weather.

Dang, that's a bummer.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've used it in - 30 C, just a question of warming it under your jacket or sleeping bag.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I take my phone and use the kindle app

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Save me jeebus posted:

Dang, that's a bummer.

It just gets slow to update like every other liquid crystal display.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Levitate posted:

I take my phone and use the kindle app

or buy a kindle fire, duh why do you think they call it that hmmm?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
fires are for suckers

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Save me jeebus posted:

I did a solo backpack last summer and my only regret was not having an e-reader. I did bring a paperback but finished it the first night, when I was stuck in my one man tent during a gnarly hailstorm near treeline for hours. Then the thing just became dead weight. I guess I could have thrown it at the guy that kept coming to my camp asking if I was ok. I actually bought a Kindle yesterday primarily for backpacking trips.

This is why you buy trashy paperbacks and burn the pages as you read them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Lutha Mahtin posted:

pathletes are the scum of the earth. spandex wearing pudgies cursing at children to FOLLOW THE loving LINES on Sunday afternoon should have a foot chopped off or similar cartoonish fate. its mostly cyclists but i have come across a few runners who think they're hot poo poo too

maybe people should stay to the loving right or get off of the MUP

oh i need asphalt to walk on because im a bitchmade failson, everyone else just go around me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

like i said, scum of the earth

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh i need asphalt to walk on because im a bitchmade failson, everyone else just go around me

pedestrians have right of way no matter where they walk, hth

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Man-Dies-After-Falling-Off-Cliff-at-Sunset-Cliffs-Lifeguards-363534491.html

quote:

A man distracted by his electronic device who fell 60 feet to his death at San Diego's Sunset Cliffs on Christmas Day has been identified, San Diego Lifeguards confirmed to NBC 7 San Diego.

The incident happened at 4:50 p.m. Friday on the 900 block of Sunset Cliffs Boulevard when the man, identified as 33-year-old Joshua M Burwell of Sheridan, Indiana, tumbled off the side of a cliff.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bradzilla posted:

pedestrians have right of way no matter where they walk, hth

you heard it here folks, take your kids for a sunday stroll on the interstate

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you heard it here folks, take your kids for a sunday stroll on the interstate

that's some impressive goalpost moving

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

no the goalpost is still to the right, where walkers should be

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradzilla posted:

that's some impressive goalpost moving

Do not engage the ice rear end human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Or how about "walk wherever you want, but certain places are more likely to get you yelled or honked at/hit by something heavier and faster than you."

• Locked thread