Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i was a baby my mom and dad took me to the genius bar and it turned out that yep, baby james was all the way on the far side of the bell curve baby. thats right - big cranium, high levels of electric currents in the brain, and basically plenty of pentiums worth of a processing power in this big baby noggin. anyways, there was an amiga in my pram and i started blasting out the codes right then and there. needless to say even as a baby i could easily interpret the machine code the BASIC generated even before hitting compile. it was trivial to start mastering the ancillary skills and fleshing out the requisite knowledge base to become a senior programmer even at the nubile age of 14 for a large open source technology. one thing led to another hehe and now im a 7 figgy computer infosec whiz at the age of 28. i dont really program for work anymore, but i still do it for fun. :) anyone else got a similar story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Smythe posted:

when i was a baby my mom and dad took me to the genius bar and it turned out that yep, baby james was all the way on the far side of the bell curve baby. thats right - big cranium, high levels of electric currents in the brain, and basically plenty of pentiums worth of a processing power in this big baby noggin. anyways, there was an amiga in my pram and i started blasting out the codes right then and there. needless to say even as a baby i could easily interpret the machine code the BASIC generated even before hitting compile. it was trivial to start mastering the ancillary skills and fleshing out the requisite knowledge base to become a senior programmer even at the nubile age of 14 for a large open source technology. one thing led to another hehe and now im a 7 figgy computer infosec whiz at the age of 28. i dont really program for work anymore, but i still do it for fun. :) anyone else got a similar story?

Yes, my story is very similar as my name is also James, but I was born into a broken home and never learned to use a computer. Today I work as a house painter and although I have heard of the Internet I have not personally had a chance to use it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
please don't call 14 year olds nubile

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Started programming while in the womb. Built a raspberry pi program to help my mom time her pushes when giving birth to me.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Started programming at age 8, burnt out and bitter at age 30

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
cool story brogrammer

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

cool story bromarf

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
smith how much of an average day would you say you spend on regretting not studying computer man codes instead of useless 5 figgy fucktard humanities nonsense

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

hell same

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

hell same
you found that by searching yospos for "pram" didn't you

pram
Jun 10, 2001
unfortunately i did not pay richard lowtax kyanka for the privilege of using search

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Smythe posted:

what age were yOU when you graduated with your BS CS (top 50)?

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

SpaceAceJase posted:

Started programming at age 8, burnt out and bitter at age 11

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am still programming as a child

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i programmed as a child and never again

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i programmed as a child (qbasic :whatup:) and now i'm doing nothing with my life hail satan

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

languages i learned, in chronological order, with age:
lisp, like 7 years old
logo, like 8 or 9 years old
qbasic, 12
java, 13
c, 18
scheme, 18
vhdl, 19
c#, 20
c++, 22
scala, 23
python, 24
verilog, 24

i think that's about all of em, op.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
vhdl before verilog?

you poor bastard

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bloody posted:

languages i learned, in chronological order, with age:
lisp, like 7 years old
logo, like 8 or 9 years old
qbasic, 12
java, 13
c, 18
scheme, 18
vhdl, 19
c#, 20
c++, 22
scala, 23
python, 24
verilog, 24

i think that's about all of em, op.

no ti-basic, voted 2

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
wait hang on i came up with a better post

Bloody posted:

lisp, like 7 years old
verilog, 24

a mind is a terrible thing to waste :smithicide:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAWvvE9w6Po

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

no ti-basic, voted 2

Oh yeah forgot that one slot it in around 14 or 15

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

wait hang on i came up with a better post

a mind is a terrible thing to waste :smithicide:

:smith:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i bought a book about java 1.0 when i was about 8 years old. i figured out how to do some stuff but i didnt really like it because what i really wanted to do was learn c like jeff vogel

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
when i was in elementary school I hand-copied hex values from a C64 magazine to play some stupid ninja game

im basically mel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hosed around in AMOS on the Amiga which let you take basic a bit further but virtually every thing was gleaned from reading other code. I had no idea how to do anything I just messed around. wished someone had guided me. been my mentor

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
i used to know lisp as a child but the speech therapists beat it out of me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my friednd Jim GBS startyinged devouring descartes at the age of 3. he thought he was sooooo smart. little did he know i had already realized the inferiority of the humanites and instead directed my incredible genius towards computer programming. i had mastered all the dinorsaur textbooks by the time Jim was just starting on plato. needless to say after a bit of a run-in with teen ennui due to finishing college at age 13 and still having never been able to muster the courage to don my klurf suit and gently caress my dead dog Jim ended up with a slight advantage. i knew it was short lived. my iphone app soared to the top of the app store and i really rubbed it in jims face. stupid bitch. he works for me now asking if i was fries with that. haha

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I didn't realize this was a smythe thread. thanks awful app

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i was chomping camus at age 2, nibbling nietzsche at age 3, slurping sartre at age 4

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smythe posted:

my friednd Jim GBS startyinged devouring descartes at the age of 3. he thought he was sooooo smart. little did he know i had already realized the inferiority of the humanites and instead directed my incredible genius towards computer programming. i had mastered all the dinorsaur textbooks by the time Jim was just starting on plato. needless to say after a bit of a run-in with teen ennui due to finishing college at age 13 and still having never been able to muster the courage to don my klurf suit and gently caress my dead dog Jim ended up with a slight advantage. i knew it was short lived. my iphone app soared to the top of the app store and i really rubbed it in jims face. stupid bitch. he works for me now asking if i was fries with that. haha

textme

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I always wanted to program but not knowing how let me stick to the cool IT jobs.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Started from the bottom, now we're here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Squinty Applebottom posted:

Started from the bottom, now we're here.

started from the upper-middle, now we're bs cs top 50

• Locked thread